• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decado said:
Considering the LotR trilogy budget, it is shocking. Going from super efficient to over-bloated. For what reason is that much money needed? AFAIK, there isn't nearly as much action or material to cover in The Hobbit and inflation can only account for so much...

It's the type of news that makes me further worried about them turning this into LOTR 2.0 when The Hobbit is an entirely different novel. Perhaps a lot of the budget is for 3D/effects and the massive amount of extras required for such a large production. At the end of the day this should be a fun, often whimsical adventure film. Not a big, bloated summer blockbuster

spookyfish

striKeVillain! said:
The wait for the EE Blu-Rays finally begins.

So, do you think they'll replace the Ian Holm "finding the ring" flashback with a Martin Freeman scene from The Hobbit in the Blu-ray LOTR EE?

spookyfish said:
So, do you think they'll replace the Ian Holm "finding the ring" flashback with a Martin Freeman scene from The Hobbit in the Blu-ray LOTR EE?

That's.. A good point.

I think they will simply try to recreate that as closely as possible. Leave it as is. PJ ain't George Lucas.

Wray

Dabookerman said:
That's.. A good point.

I think they will simply try to recreate that as closely as possible. Leave it as is. PJ ain't George Lucas.

I sure hope they do it.

Lucas adding stuff randomly cause its cool or changing stuff for new reason is entirely different than fixing what would be a glaring continuity error in the LoTR/Hobbit films.

fallout

PhoenixDark said:
It's the type of news that makes me further worried about them turning this into LOTR 2.0 when The Hobbit is an entirely different novel. Perhaps a lot of the budget is for 3D/effects and the massive amount of extras required for such a large production. At the end of the day this should be a fun, often whimsical adventure film. Not a big, bloated summer blockbuster
While I agree with you for the most part, I can't imagine that last battle being anything but summer blockbustery.

GCX

I for one can't wait for The Hobbit Sketchbook by Alan Lee.

So glad he and John Howe are in charge of the concept art again.

BobLoblaw

Banned
fallout said:
While I agree with you for the most part, I can't imagine that last battle being anything but summer blockbustery.
Yeah. It'll likely be bigger than the Pelennor fields battle in ROTK for sure. I mean, you've got five freaking armies, not to mention Smaug laying waste to shit.

BobLoblaw said:
Yeah. It'll likely be bigger than the Pelennor fields battle in ROTK for sure. I mean, you've got five freaking armies, not to mention Smaug laying waste to shit.

I don't doubt the battle of the 5 armies will be spectacular cinema, but i just hope this movie takes a more fantastical route than the LotR films did. The Hobbit should be a happier, more whimsical flick than TT and RotK were.

The best comparison is Fellowship really. At the beginning it's the colorful exuberance of the Shire that hooks you, with the fear and dread of the Ringwraiths edging their way in later. The Hobbit is much the same in that it starts off as a fun adventure before slowly ramping up the drama and emotional sense of foreboding. I realize the early and later segments of the book will be difficult to reconcile while keeping a coherent theme throughout, but I think PJ is up for it.

TheFury

PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCES LATEST ADDITION TO THE HOBBIT CAST James Nesbitt Confirmed to Play Major Role in The Hobbit. (LOS ANGELES November 1, 2010) –One of Britain’s most beloved actors, James Nesbitt (Millions and TV’s Cold Feet), is the latest actor to join the ensemble cast of The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Nesbitt will play Bofur, a disarmingly forthright, funny and occasionally brave Dwarf. “James’s charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles. We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast.” said director Peter Jackson.

Newcomer, Adam Brown will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug. Jackson comments, “Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life”.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...esbitt-is-bofur-adam-brown-is-ori/#more-40005

agrajag

Banned
so are they actually going to have all 13 dwarves in the film? Doesn't seem like it'd work too weel in a movie, i fear they might cut down the number

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I have no idea who these actors are, but Freeman definitely looks like what I'd imagine the young movie version of Bilbo to look like. I am pleased.

Combichristoffersen said:
I have no idea who these actors are, but Freeman definitely looks like what I'd imagine the young movie version of Bilbo to look like. I am pleased.

you should check Murphy's law with James Nesbitt. Easily one badass tv serie

mainImage.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Anasui Kishibe said:
you should check Murphy's law with James Nesbitt. Easily one badass tv serie

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/galleries/moustache-gallery/10/mainImage.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I do not enjoy watching TV, but thanks anyway ;) Now, I wonder who they'll cast as the VA for Smaug.. Alan Rickman would be a pleasant surprise. Although I guess they might want someone with more 'gruff' in his voice.

TheFury

agrajag said:
so are they actually going to have all 13 dwarves in the film? Doesn't seem like it'd work too weel in a movie, i fear they might cut down the number
They've already got 10 of them so there's only three left with Balin being one of them. It would make sense to include him for continuity as you see his tomb in Moria in LOTR. I'd imagine they'd include them all since there's only two others.

Hex

Banned
agrajag said:

How in the hell would you cut down the number of dwarves in the fucking Hobbit?
The number was for a reason and they make a point of it.

Hex

Banned
BobLoblaw said:

You do realize that Smaug is long dead before the last battle right?
So he will not be "laying waste to shit" during the battle of five armies.
He will be giving hell to Laketown though.

agrajag

Banned
TheFury said:
They've already got 10 of them so there's only three left with Balin being one of them. It would make sense to include him for continuity as you see his tomb in Moria in LOTR. I'd imagine they'd include them all since there's only two others.

that's great news!

Prepare for one incredible looking movie.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52300

Hobbits on Red Epics.

Peter Jackson's two film adaptation of The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using RED DIGITAL CINEMA'S soon to be released EPIC Digital Cameras.

The successor to RED's industry changing RED ONE, the EPIC has 5K resolution, can shoot up to 120 frames per second and has a new HDRx™™ mode for the highest dynamic range of any digital cinema camera ever made. Taking everything they had learned from building their first camera, RED designed the EPIC from scratch and have produced a smaller, lighter camera that is an order of magnitude more powerful.

The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the EPIC and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3-D production. The EPIC'S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3-D - where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

Jackson has a long history with RED, dating back to when he directed the short film 'Crossing the Line' as a very early test of prototype RED ONE cameras. "I have always liked the look of Red footage." he says, "I'm not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."

Jim Jannard the owner and founder of RED flew to New Zealand earlier this year with members of his team so that Jackson could test the EPIC and assess its suitability. "Everybody at RED is incredibly proud that Peter has chosen the Epic" says Jannard, "The Hobbit is a major production, and could have chosen any camera system that they wanted. The fact that they went with us is extremely gratifying."

The Hobbit will start shooting in New Zealand early next year.

LegendofJoe said:
Balin is probably the most important dwarf role after Thorin. I'm excited to see who PJ and co. pick for the job.
Why is that? It's been a long time since I read the hobbit, but upon reading LOTR recently, it seems like they retconned balin into having been somehow special compared to the other dwarves, but I don't remember that being the case in the hobbit. Unless you meant that he's important because of what happens later in LOTR and his going to moria and all, but as for actually in the hobbit, I don't see it.

Dead said:
I just saw this on Collider.

Sounds fucking amazing.

I wonder if PJ will shoot at the higher frame rate?

In other news, Howard Shore confirmed he's coming back as well:

http://www.collider.com/2010/11/18/the-hobbit-score-howard-shore/

He was always coming back though. Internet managed to concoct an imaginary rift between him and Jackson. A few eyars ago he had already said he had begun writing down some ideas for The Hobbit score in his spare time. He absolutely loved working on LotR. I really can't wait to hear what he pumps out.

The LotR trilogy still holds the best overall score of the past decade imo.

Dead

well not really...yet
Do you have the extended scores Sculli?

If youre really interested in them, theres also a 400+ page book that was published about them recently, it also includes a CD of unreleased music by Shore

Dead said:
Do you have the extended scores Sculli?

If youre really interested in them, theres also a 400+ page book that was published about them recently, it also includes a CD of unreleased music by Shore

I don't. And yeah I remember reading about the book. Was released fairly recently wasn't it?

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if he'll actually shot it in more than 24, I remember him discussing some King Kong ride short film thing he was shooting at 60, no idea if it happened though.

Dead

well not really...yet
StuBurns said:
I wonder if he'll actually shot it in more than 24, I remember him discussing some King Kong ride short film thing he was shooting at 60, no idea if it happened though.
King Kong 3D? Its in Universal Studios.

PJ wanted to make King Kong in 3D as well, he even looked at conversions when he wasn't able to shoot it (not enough time to get equipment and prepare, or simply lack of equipment, or something). Interesting to think of what could have been had he shot it in 3D and if he shot at it faster than 24 fps

Decado said:
Considering the LotR trilogy budget, it is shocking. Going from super efficient to over-bloated. For what reason is that much money needed? AFAIK, there isn't nearly as much action or material to cover in The Hobbit and inflation can only account for so much...

They did miracles with the original budget for the 3 films, and even so lot of it now is showing it's age, and even then some of it didn't look all that great either. The budgeting back then was more careful due to them not sure how well the original trilogy was going to perform, but after such a huge success it was, Hobbit is getting all the money it needs.

I'm glad it's getting big money to make, since the originals were so uneven in the FX department.

StuBurns

Banned
Dead said:
King Kong 3D? Its in Universal Studios.

PJ wanted to make King Kong in 3D as well, he even looked at conversions when he wasn't able to shoot it (not enough time to get equipment and prepare, or simply lack of equipment, or something). Interesting to think of what could have been had he shot it in 3D and if he shot at it faster than 24 fps
I think that is what I'm talking about. He was talking about it at the comic-con panel he did with Cameron I think.

Dead

well not really...yet
TekkenMaster said:
Avatar 2/3 will be either 48, 60 or 72 fps.

I think PJ will keep The Hobbit at 24 however so he doesn't steal Cameron's thunder.
Since they are friends, I doubt that they mind some friendly rivalry :D Plus you know Cameron will never settle for being outdone. If PJ outdoes him on this, then he will go even further.

Dead said:
Since they are friends, I doubt that they mind some friendly rivalry :D Plus you know Cameron will never settle for being outdone. If PJ outdoes him on this, then he will go even further.

Well the Hobbit being a great, classic story means PJ wins, even if he uses paper cutouts at 1fps.

Dead Man

Didn't think this was thread worthy, but interesting anyway. Shitty source, but it's what I found: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/11/29/the-hobbit-casting-agent-dismissed/

A casting agent working on director Peter Jackson’s adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit was fired from the production after placing ads in a regional New Zealand newspaper seeking extras with “light skin tones,” according to Agence France-Presse. The casting agent was also reported to have told a prospective background extra, a woman of Pakistani heritage named Naz Humphreys, that she wasn’t suitable to play a Hobbit because of her skin color. According to The Waikato Times, video footage shows the casting agent telling people at an audition, “We are looking for light-skinned people. I’m not trying to be … whatever. It’s just the brief. You’ve got to look like a Hobbit.” A spokesman for Jackson’s production company told Agence France-Presse that the casting director, who was contracted by the film, was never directed to make any restrictions based on skin color. “No such instructions were given,” the spokesman said. “The crew member in question took it upon themselves to do that and it’s not something we instructed or condoned,” adding, “It’s something we take very seriously.”

3ur4zn said:
Is it wrong to desire Peter Jackson to put on 30 kilos? :lol

He was like the embodiment of Santa Clause during the LOTR days. Now?...

Now I imagine he's glad to not be a fat guy anymore.

I do agree that one just wanted to give him a hug he looked so damn jolly a decade ago.

I still wish that Ron Perlman was involved in this movie like the original rumors had it. Would've cranked it up past 11 for me.

PhoenixDark said:
Me thinks the reason the budget is so huge is because pretty much EVERY creature in the LOTR series combined is appearing in the film(s) for the Hobbit, plus Smaug.

Trolls
Goblins
Orcs
Elves
Gollum
Wargs
Spiders
Eagles
Dragon

Not to mention all the different set pieces. The hobbit will be so epic. And asking stars to return has to have been a pretty penny after the massive amounts of money they've made from the movies / tv deals / dvds / blu-rays / extended editions / soundtracks / etc.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
WyndhamPrice said:
Now I imagine he's glad to not be a fat guy anymore.

I do agree that one just wanted to give him a hug he looked so damn jolly a decade ago.

Kevin Smith needs to get in touch with PJ. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom