• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoenixDark said:
Are you serious?
Maybe more easy to make narratively, but then again Jackson did take bits and pieces from other sources including The Hobbit.
Also the way Lord of the Rings starts and end is perfect. Really is, I don't think you can get any better.

But my general opinion is that yes, LOTR was considered unfilmable, but it also had that going for it. These movies, assuming they get made, face the large task of living up to the Lord of the Rings.
Does America want another movie from Middle Earth?

You have problems of making things visually match up somewhat, reconciling that Bilbo won't look like Ian Holm, etc., etc. There are a lot of nightmare issues. What if a member of the cast dies and
is unable to reprise their role. I don't think you can replace them really. Are they going to add Saruman? There's just a clusterfuck of things that could sink this movie assuming it ever gets off of the ground.

My thoughts are disheveled and I'm sure there's more I wanted to say, but sometimes narrative problems are the smallest of your issues.

harSon

Banned
Good.

While it would have been interesting to see his vision realized, I'd much rather him actually get the chance to release another film within the next decade. Hopefully he does something Mexican/Spanish related, his best films by far have been Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

elrechazao said:
A movie that has a shit plot, bad acting, but cool costumes and effects is a shit movie.

Jesus dude, read my fucking post again.

Sure, they weren't great, but goddamn did they look pretty.

Motherfuckin' read, dude. The movies were breathtaking looking, which is why I was excited to have him on board as the director.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Jesus dude, read my fucking post again.

Motherfuckin' read, dude. The movies were breathtaking looking, which is why I was excited to have him on board as the director.
Read mine, I said they're shit.

harSon

Banned
I actually liked the first Hellboy quite a bit. The second was mediocre, albeit with visuals that fucked your eye sockets.

peterb0y said:
maybe so, but they weren't shit BECAUSE OF the visuals
....wut....who said that?

peterb0y said:
maybe so, but they weren't shit BECAUSE OF the visuals
....wut....who said that?
I dunno...is it because of them, or in spite of them? Can't say, but all I can say is that the visuals were the only good things about those films.

In other news I like some of his films, but I could see his focus on "omg teh creatures" totally fucking the story of the hobbit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is crazy.

Hoping for PJ now, if that's even possible. :|

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Del Toro would have rocked this movie. Now our only hope is Jackson. The only other person crazy enough to potentially tackle it is Raimi.

harSon

Banned
I have a feeling they're going to scrap his screenplay should the film ever get out of development hell. I like del Toro as much as the next guy, but he's much better at artistic design and directing than he is writing. Not to say that he's a horrible screenwriter, I just don't think many producers would hire him for his script writing abilities alone, he's only marketable as a package deal IMO.

pringles

That sucks. Hellboy movies and Pan's Labyrinth were awesome so I was really excited to see Del Toro's take on Middle-Earth, it would have been something really special.

Seems so strange that they have to struggle like this to get the production off the ground, movie studios should just say "oh you want to make prequels to the LOTR trilogy? Okay here is 1 billion dollars call us when you're done.".

pringles said:
That sucks. Hellboy movies and Pan's Labyrinth were awesome so I was really excited to see Del Toro's take on Middle-Earth, it would have been something really special.

Seems so strange that they have to struggle like this to get the production off the ground, movie studios should just say "oh you want to make prequels to the LOTR trilogy? Okay here is 1 billion dollars call us when you're done.".
It's about which studio gets to collect the billions of dollars after it's made, not about getting it funded in the first place.

Many parties own various rights to make these movies, and they're fighting about it still.

madara

Damn it to Middle Earth! Ian isn't getting any younger, he said himself he does not know how much longer he will act, plus he needs to play a younger version of himself. Stop screwing around. PJ please step in.

V_Ben

Banned
F*ck it, if PJ doesn't want to do it, Get Gilliam. You know he can make an amazing film with the right tools and guidance.

madara

Freshmaker said:
Keep him the hell away. He's done enough damage already. Better the movie's never made if that's the alternative.

Yeah I know PJ screwed your sister and killed your mother. Just screw off and go read the book over and over. I never thought I would experience a movie trilogy again like the original Stars Wars when I was kid. PJ made that happen, opened the golden pool and his EE dvds respected the material X1000 more then those crappy Harry Potters.

Darklord

Banned
Freshmaker said:
Keep him the hell away. He's done enough damage already. Better the movie's never made if that's the alternative.

Yeah we don't want ANOTHER Best Picture, Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Costume Design, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Makeup, Best Music, Original Score, Best Music, Original Song, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects, Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay, in one movie. I couldn't bare the thought.

Duki

Banned
the best adapted screenplay oscar doesn't mean what you think it means.

it's not about who most faithfully recreated a book on screen.

and wow this fucking sucks

PhoncipleBone said:
The only other person crazy enough to potentially tackle it is Raimi.

Wow, cant believe this post went under the radar.

This would be a mistake of biblical proportions. I'd rather Ben Stiller directed the Hobbit as opposed to Raimi.

Sad news about this, Del Toro would have been a good fit.

You guys wanting Gilliam are fucking evil. As soon as they announced Gilliam as director, Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee and Howard Shore would have simulataneous heart attacks.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wow, cant believe this post went under the radar.

This would be a mistake of biblical proportions. I'd rather Ben Stiller directed the Hobbit as opposed to Raimi.

Sad news about this, Del Toro would have been a good fit.
I think you are thinking of Spider Man 3 Raimi and not "the rest of his filmography" Raimi.

And for those saying Gilliam, I think that would curse the film even more. Gilliam is an amazing visualist, but his productions for the last decade or more have been cursed.

Scullibundo said:
You guys wanting Gilliam are fucking evil. As soon as they announced Gilliam as director, Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee and Howard Shore would have simulataneous heart attacks.

I can't wait to see Lost in Middle Earth!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Duki said:
the best adapted screenplay oscar doesn't mean what you think it means.

it's not about who most faithfully recreated a book on screen.

and wow this fucking sucks
Yes, we all know Hollywood's best adaptation means pointlessly ruining sequences just to mash things ham fistedly into a hero's journey formula.

I don't think anyone is a good replacement other than PJ. I mean you don't simply walk in and direct The Hobbit. Del Toro has invested 2 years in the making of it. We need someone who has had at least that amount of time invested into it. I can't see anyone other than PJ doing it. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Dabookerman said:
I don't think anyone is a good replacement other than PJ. I mean you don't simply walk in and direct The Hobbit. Del Toro has invested 2 years in the making of it. We need someone who has had at least that amount of time invested into it. I can't see anyone other than PJ doing it. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Tim Burton
yes, I am joking.

Rindain

Banned
I hope Jackson steps back in. I can't really see anyone else doing it justice. Plus Jackson has been side-by-side with Guillermo the whole time, and could choose the best elements of what Guillermo would have made.

Before people come in and suggest Spielberg, just remember he won't do anything without John Williams. And The Hobbit can't not have Shore.

Nothing more fun to laugh at than LOTR movie haters.

Seriously guys. It's like instant comedy.

ON TOPIC: hopefully this recovers quickly. Cannot wait to see Jackson's Middle Earth again!

Damn, I really though Guillermo could've done this justice :(

I'm not sure I want PJ, I really liked the LOTR movies but despite being really hyped for King Kong and the lovely bones I felt they were not great.

That said I gotta give the man points, he has attached himself to so many projects that have been cancelled or were/are really risky stuff, he is clearly passionate about what he wants to do rather than what the studio wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom