• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Hellblade II is massive, and growing.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Have InXile do all the marketing.

This is why i hate batteries and my son with all his toys and shitty batteries. I can't believe that people still pever batteries over built in.

I had never issues with many of my devices. Just plugin the cable or place it on the dock and done.

Yes, but you can also buy a rechargeable battery pack if you so chose and can charge them by plugging a USB into the controller.

That's already a bit better then normal batteries. But you still need to buy them seperate.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is why i hate batteries and my son with all his toys and shitty batteries. I can't believe that people still pever batteries over built in.

I had never issues with many of my devices. Just plugin the cable or place it on the dock and done.

That's already a bit better then normal batteries. But you still need to buy them seperate.
Positives and negatives to both and I can see both views. I use to prefer built-in but now prefer batteries.

Last edited:

Maybe, but if the battery loses it's ability to charge, you can just buy another battery. If it were built-in, it's either garbage, or you have to figure out how to open it and replace it.

gokurho

The greatest game ever

Frosted Flakes Swerk GIF

Get real.. there is no hype. Hellblade II is a niche product; outside its visual splendour, it is generally considered depressing and unappealing. A product off the radar of most; I suspect this will be reflected in poor sales. I'd much rather see a remake of ENSLAVED: ODYSSEY TO THE WEST or a new IP. Perhaps a survival horror game in the vein of RE rather than this 7 years in development debacle.
I beat Hellblade 2 a few weeks ago. Felt like a chore to get through. Started playing Enslaved for the first time on Steam Deck yesterday and after only a few chapters in, I can already tell is much better at actually being a game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I doubt I would have even finished it if I didn't know it was short and that my GP trial was ending soon.
I am just so baffled that MS bought Ninja Theory 6 years ago, and this was the first Xbox Series exclusive they showed off at the console unveiling in late 2019. Like they really thought this was a system seller and a key game for their launch window lineup.

Only for it to launch several years into the generation as a 5 hour “experience” and hit like a wet fart.

I have to say I’m really impressed that Ninja Theory managed to get bought out + mooch off of their rich parent company for this long without getting shut down. Like there had to have been several meetings with Xbox upper management like “oh yeah it’s coming along great, some COVID delays but we’re looking at Summer 2021 at the latest, we’re in the final phase of testing, our mock reviews put it at 90+”

Eiknarf

This game went over about as well as a wet fart.
The newness and excitement for the game came and went. It’s literally GONE as of June 5th, 2024.
And that’s coming from me, a BIG fan of the original!

I feel bad. But a game that was released almost a month prior, Stellar Blade, still has the excitement, the buzz and people not only playing it but talking about it on a daily basis

Last edited:
I am just so baffled that MS bought Ninja Theory 6 years ago, and this was the first Xbox Series exclusive they showed off at the console unveiling in late 2019. Like they really thought this was a system seller and a key game for their launch window lineup.

Only for it to launch several years into the generation as a 5 hour “experience” and hit like a wet fart.

I have to say I’m really impressed that Ninja Theory managed to get bought out + mooch off of their rich parent company for this long without getting shut down. Like there had to have been several meetings with Xbox upper management like “oh yeah it’s coming along great, some COVID delays but we’re looking at Summer 2021 at the latest, we’re in the final phase of testing, our mock reviews put it at 90+”
I think they recently said it wasn't even in development until 2021 and the 2019 reveal trailer thing was complete BS. From their blogging it looks like they just got MS to pay for a bunch of vacations as long as they took pictures of rocks . . .

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

Speaks a lot about the lack of control at MS Studios. They scammed Uncle Phil well. Very much like Sony with MM or Haven, the next ones on the chopping block.

Did you play it? I was very impressed by the game. Solid 8/10 and a visual showcase. Short enough so that it never gets boring.
I did, on GamePass. My opinion of it is somehow lower than prior. I just can't wrap my head around anyone in 2024 finding anything but the graphics impressive. I just can't. I'm not saying don't but I just don't get what people like about videogames that force long stretches of doing nothing on them because My Experience.

Disclaimer: I didn't beat it, two to three hours and uninstalled. I really was just curious because I hated the first one and well, GamePass.

I'd rate it a 4/10 pure based on the graphics.

Edit: as an analogy...it's like someone playing Mumble Rap shit to me. I recognize how it resembles the Hip Hop I love somewhere but it's such a ridiculous distortion of what I like about the original, it might as well be the sounds of someone shitting to my ears.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

I have a genuine question about “graphics vs gameplay”

Three games keep coming up in terms of “Next Gen Graphics”

Hellblade 2, Alan Wake 2 and Fort Solis.

I played AW2 and Fort Solis. Read hundreds of thousands of words about Hellblade 2, so I know enough

Isn’t it easier to have a game with “next level graphics” when the majority of it is mostly walking, puzzles and simple combat?

What I’m asking is, would Alan Wake 2, Hellblade 2 and Fort Solis still look “that good” if they had the nonstop fighting and the insane variety of combat that God of War Ragnarok or Spider-Man 2 has?

dem

I can't believe how much time they were allowed to put into this "game".

I'm about half way through I think.. walking simulator is generous.

Even the fights have gotten old.... and that's all there is to break up the monotony of walking a narrowly defined path. God forbid Senua has to crawl under... or squeeze through something.

Feeling Old Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

I played AW2 and Fort Solis. Read hundreds of thousands of words about Hellblade 2, so I know enough

Isn’t it easier to have a game with “next level graphics” when the majority of it is mostly walking, puzzles and simple combat?

What I’m asking is, would Alan Wake 2, Hellblade 2 and Fort Solis still look “that good” if they had the nonstop fighting and the insane variety of combat that God of War Ragnarok or Spider-Man 2 has?

The obvious answer is no.

It's a lame argument "next gen graphics" when the gameplay and interactions with the environment are minimal, with no physics, no nothing. It's like claiming that Detroit Become Human was among the best graphics last gen too. Nonsense.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

It's a lame argument "next gen graphics" when the gameplay and interactions with the environment are minimal, with no physics, no nothing. It's like claiming that Detroit Become Human was among the best graphics last gen too. Nonsense.
Ohh yeah, I played Detroit Become Human as well. It looked phenomenal, but was basically just a pre rendered movie where we had some semblance of control via QTEs

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I did, on GamePass. My opinion of it is somehow lower than prior. I just can't wrap my head around anyone in 2024 finding anything but the graphics impressive. I just can't. I'm not saying don't but I just don't get what people like about videogames that force long stretches of doing nothing on them because My Experience.

Disclaimer: I didn't beat it, two to three hours and uninstalled. I really was just curious because I hated the first one and well, GamePass.

I'd rate it a 4/10 pure based on the graphics.

Edit: as an analogy...it's like someone playing Mumble Rap shit to me. I recognize how it resembles the Hip Hop I love somewhere but it's such a ridiculous distortion of what I like about the original, it might as well be the sounds of someone shitting to my ears.

Go beat it. Game is excellent, especially the second giant. Ninja Theory really showed what a great developer they are.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

I wouldn’t say nonsense to what you see in front of you. Rather, I’d offer context. The issue for Hellblade II is we have machines that can pull off those visuals AND add more to the package. It’s not like the game is so far ahead of everything that nothing comes close, so it just feels as if they didn’t put forth enough effort to really create a robust experience and MAINLY focused on looks.

Flabagast

Alan Wake 2 is a "real game" with actual mechanics, a progression system, long run time, etc... I would not compare it at all with the other 2

Top Bottom