• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ketchup industry is a scam

teezzy

Banned
Lets say a typical serving is 30 grams

Ketchup = 30 calories

Ranch = 145 calories

So which one is more unhealthy for you ? :unsure:

I like Ranch only on salads and people that use it to eat it with wings should not be trusted

Ketchup because more calories equals more energy for exercising

bender

What time is it?
Ketchup because more calories equals more energy for exercising

0iizolkdgh041.jpg

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I only put mayo on burgers and eat brats and hot dogs on a bun plain. Ketchup overpowers the meat flavor. It's like when people us A-1 on steak. It's good on crap meat but overpowers it.

Tranquil

Lets say a typical serving is 30 grams

Ketchup = 30 calories

Ranch = 145 calories

So which one is more unhealthy for you ? :unsure:

I like Ranch only on salads and people that use it to eat it with wings should not be trusted

Calories and carbs are what matter. Ketchup has a ton of carbs.

Mustard is better than ketchup by a landslide. But hot sauce is literally superior to anything you can put on foods. Sugar is bad, and I drink my tea and coffee without any traces of such things. But i found a honey that is infused with hot sauce, and that stuff is amazing to add in tea n coffee. Mayo is ok if it's spread on slightly, but I can't understand people who eat the shit right out the jar as if it's yogurt. Wtf. These are my opinions.

Tranquil

I like ketchup for mixing in with sauces.

Mayo + Relish + Ketchup + Mustard = amazing special sauce that is far superior to store bought thousand island.
Mayo + Sour Cream + Ketchup + Lime = amazing sauce for fish tacos.

GAMETA

Banned
Ketchup works great with fast-food, fries, wings, burgers, esfihas, samosas, kibbehs and similar stuff.

For steak, meats and general food, a proper tomato sauce is much better.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I used to love ketchup, but after having it for so long, I'm just starting to see it as too extreme and basic a flavor.

It's like the sledgehammer of condiments. It just overrides everything, including what you're trying to taste. I don't mind a little bit on a burger or something (probably the best use), but it's just too much.

Gp1

The good thing is that i didn't hear one single soul talking about ketchup on pizza.

Keep the discussion civilized guys.

Elcid

Banned
Ranch?

giphy.gif

I like Ketchup on grilled cheese sandwiches and scrambled eggs. Hot sauce would work for the later but not former. Ranch for neither.
First of all, that chick is beautiful and has perfect teeth.
Second, ranch goes on everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

Gonna be real, ketchup is the sweetness I need with my savory food.
I like it on burgers, fries, breakfast tacos, etc...

I like mayochup.
I like 70s style garbage loaf.
I like whataburger's Spicy Ketchup.

I like catsup and catchup, too.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Ketchup kinda sucks. What a lame condiment. Isnt it also the most popular condiment?

I cant think of a single food item I'd put ketchup on where hot sauce or even ranch dressing wouldnt immediately be superior. Even so, if I were to use ketchup, any time you order food which pairs well with ketchup, they give you more than enough ketchup packets so you can toss em in a ziploc to store in your fridge.

Theres also a lot of sugar in ketchup and sugar makes you fat. I actually have a bottle of ketchup in my fridge which I bought to appease my stupid friends who are always asking me if I have any ketchup and roll their eyes when i offer them packets. If i were a restaurant, they wouldnt react in such a rude manner. Be grateful i have packets, you swine.

Every time I open my fridge and see that bottle of store brand ketchup I get just a little more irked that I caved to peer pressure. My friends just use the packets they get at the restaurant anyhow.

Also, people who say "catsup" are weird, and I wouldnt trust them around animals.

What are your thoughts on ketchup?

Since i found my favorite "BBQ Honey" sauce... i ltierally it everything with BBQ Honey sauce instead of Ketchup. I got special Burger Sauce for my Hamburger and other than that i prefer normal BBQ Sauce over Ketchup.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I use a local organic ketchup, that shit is amazing. I'll add some sriracha to it if i wanna crank it up a notch.

lachesis

As a foodie - I used to look down on Ketchup myself - but as I got older, I turned around.
There's something nostalgic about the flavor. Flavor of childhood.

I went to Kayashima restaurant in Musashino - (I think it appeared on J-drama Solitary Gourmet S1 or 2) when I visited Ghibli Museum in Japan a couple years back. This is Ketchup spaghetti - called Napolitan.

Yes, it's not Italian - and the spaghetti is very well over-cooked, but it's also very very comforting. It was little past Christmas and especially a chilly and rather windy day - a nice plate of this, served with Miso soup and a good chunk of side dish (unlike the picture here, I chose the ginger-pork, but you can also choose Shumai - lol)... peppered with hot Tabasco sauce + generic that green bottled Parmasan grated cheese - I thought I was back in 80s. The decor in the restaurant was straight up from 80s Showa time too. Food was great, price was very very reasonable (under 10 bucks, IIRC), which includes coffee or a drink.

GM09C92.jpg

Highly recommend the place if anyone fancy Showa style of nostalgia & quick lunch - it's only about 15-20 min walking distance from Ghibli Museum in Mitaka - thru a very nice park - and the shop is also near by a shopping district & the Chuo subway station into the city, which you would need to take it back to Tokyo.... IF you have any money left from visiting Ghibli Museum's souvenir shop that is.

bender

What time is it?
Fry... sauce?

It's an old Utah tradition. After opening a can of Chef Boyardee, you proceed to have intercourse with opening (don't worry if you get nicked and bleed). After you've finished seasoning the innards, blend into a fine slurry, heat and serve.

Last edited:
I once tried Hunts ketchup and almost got sick. I wasn’t expecting something so sweet. I love the utrageous sodium content of Heinz. I only like it on hamburgers, fries, and maybe steak if no A1.

Top Bottom