• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV Review Thread

I was just thinking how you could make a school dance analogy comparing SFV and KoF XIV.

SFV is the most popular girl in school. Head cheerleader. Valedictorian. Perfect 10 body. Buuuuut, she's a total bitch. She goes to the dance with you, is even up for sex later but she's very demanding. Has you pay for EVERY little thing. Doesn't even treat you that well. After a while you wonder if it was all worth it JUST to have the most popular girl.

KoF XIV is the shy, nerdy girl next door. Not even close to a 10, but cute in her own down-to-earth kind of way. Much nicer and sweeter in person. She's a really clumsy and terrible dancer, and you'll have to deal with hecklers, but you have a great time and a lot of fun being with her.

Of course I'm not saying you HAVE to choose ONE, I just think it makes for a fun comparison. Just got the email from Best Buy that my Premium Edition is going to be ready tomorrow, but it'll be a lot longer before I can play it as I have no PS4 :( I just really wanted those great bonuses.

Why don't more sites review games by how attractive they would have been in high school?

Skilletor

If things stay in their current state pre-much-hyped-up-and-likely-will-not-deliver-patch, you will want to stay far, far, far, FAR away from this game online, lol.

Yeah...I'm worried. Your netcode impressions are usually spot on in my experience.

But...Angel. :(

I know I won't be able to resist this game. I'll just be sad when online sucks.

Ban Puncher

I was just thinking how you could make a school dance analogy comparing SFV and KoF XIV.

SFV is the most popular girl in school. Head cheerleader. Valedictorian. Perfect 10 body. Buuuuut, she's a total bitch. She goes to the dance with you, is even up for sex later but she's very demanding. Has you pay for EVERY little thing. Doesn't even treat you that well. After a while you wonder if it was all worth it JUST to have the most popular girl.

KoF XIV is the shy, nerdy girl next door. Not even close to a 10, but cute in her own down-to-earth kind of way. Much nicer and sweeter in person. She's a really clumsy and terrible dancer, and you'll have to deal with hecklers, but you have a great time and a lot of fun being with her.

Of course I'm not saying you HAVE to choose ONE, I just think it makes for a fun comparison. Just got the email from Best Buy that my Premium Edition is going to be ready tomorrow, but it'll be a lot longer before I can play it as I have no PS4 :( I just really wanted those great bonuses.

4883466-thiorilaugh.gif

qcf x2

Yeah, I've gotten used to the graphics. Definitely wouldn't even describe this as a "good" looking game. Adequate, imo. Still has that feeling a lot of 2.5d games have for the first outing to me where everything feels a bit off, but...meh. Amazing roster, KoF Gameplay.

I strongly disagree with the bolded. The gameplay feels better to me than any previous KoF. Different, but undoubtedly better imo. Controls are extremely responsive and there's adequate impact with the attacks. Contrast that to SF4 where everything felt floaty and gross or to a different and lesser extent even SFV where Capcom took the "SNK Hitboxes" title away from SNK themselves.

The visuals are what they are, and yeah that's just okay/acceptable/adequate. But when I'm playing I don't care. Outstanding visuals are literally the last thing a fighting game needs to nail, because when you're playing it doesn't matter if it's CPS1, CPS3 or UE4 driving the visuals. It's all about gameplay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If things stay in their current state pre-much-hyped-up-and-likely-will-not-deliver-patch, you will want to stay far, far, far, FAR away from this game online, lol.

People are hyping it up too much, it makes no sense. I guess they like to be disappointed.

Realest of talks: Think of KOF as an offline game only.

Timu

I wonder who's the SNK boss in this one?

Can't wait to play this though, knew it would be good despite not so great 1st impressions last year, I had faith in this just from playing the demo alone.

Skilletor

I strongly disagree with the bolded. The gameplay feels better to me than any previous KoF. Different, but undoubtedly better imo. Controls are extremely responsive and there's adequate impact with the attacks. Contrast that to SF4 where everything felt floaty and gross or to a different and lesser extent even SFV where Capcom took the "SNK Hitboxes" title away from SNK themselves.

The visuals are what they are, and yeah that's just okay/acceptable/adequate. But when I'm playing I don't care. Outstanding visuals are literally the last thing a fighting game needs to nail, because when you're playing it doesn't matter if it's CPS1, CPS3 or UE4 driving the visuals. It's all about gameplay.

To each their own.

Definitely not going to touch a comment about it feeling better than any KoF. Game isn't even out yet.

These reviews mean fuck all to me without time being put into online. It's good for people that don't have any interest in going online to decide if they want to purchase it or not but KoF doesn't carry the same weight as MK and SF with casuals so we will see.

I ended up getting it for free from Best Buy from rewards and GCU so I can't complain too much. At least I know I'll get a pretty solid offline game. Hopefully they will clean up the game with small patches instead of moving into development ofor the next one right afterwards.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hopefully they will clean up the game with small patches instead of moving into development ofor the next one right afterwards.
I expect this will be the case as this is a KoF without an arcade "beta" which is very unusual for the series.

I don't know how people can take reviews for fighters seriously. All these guys really do is button mash.

I only look at reviews for possible net code issues. Without them they are meaningless. Really the only genre of games for me where reviews don't mean anything for me.

I expect this will be the case as this is a KoF without an arcade "beta" which is very unusual for the series.

This is true. I didn't really look at it that way but you do have a point. It would be smart of them to go this route for a couple of years before they decide what to do next for the series.

delete this

BadWolf

Hopefully they will clean up the game with small patches instead of moving into development ofor the next one right afterwards.

They will, the day 1 patch already has some fixes and balance changes. They also said that they will be updating the netplay post launch and fixing any game glitches quickly.

oneida

『Inaba Resident』;214593981 said:

It's BestBuy so I imagine they're usually good about not breaking street dates... but it's a small release, so who knows? Might try to slip out of work early...

Kuksune

I pre-ordered this digitaly on PSN and will have to wait until friday to play it. Hopefully the online will work okay.

It's BestBuy so I imagine they're usually good about not breaking street dates... but it's a small release, so who knows? Might try to slip out of work early...

I've tried it with them as I always get emails the day before release sayings it's ready. It was a no go.

petran79

Banned
Regarding the winning poses, do they say the same text for everyone like in previous KOF games , but with voice acting this time?

oneida

I've tried it with them as I always get emails the day before release sayings it's ready. It was a no go.

Rats.

Well, I'm gonna try anyway, but I guess I won't leave work early :p maybe I'll get a BB employee who doesn't know or give a shit when the game comes out.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah...I'm worried. Your netcode impressions are usually spot on in my experience.

But...Angel. :(

I know I won't be able to resist this game. I'll just be sad when online sucks.

It's like the Sonic Cycle for me- Get hyped with new game announcement. Promises that the netcode will be up to par and good initial impressions. Play the game and am utterly disappointed in that regard. LOL. :|

I wonder who's the SNK boss in this one?

If by that you mean a cheap-ass CPU...there isn't one. At least not on the default settings. I steamrolled over the CPU when I did a story play through last night. Beating the game once will unlock both bosses for use, too.

oneida

If by that you mean a cheap-ass CPU...there isn't one. At least not on the default settings. I steamrolled over the CPU when I did a story play through last night. Beating the game once will unlock both bosses for use, too.

No arcade release = no SNK boss? eh...

Lyte Edge

Realest of talks: Think of KOF as an offline game only.

I'm 100% an online warrior at this point. I rarely get a chance to play with anyone locally, so bad netcode means the game doesn't get played much if at all. I've been trying with KOF since I got it last Tuesday. Been playing it every chance I get. Forgoing time spent in practice mode learning stuff to keep messing with and testing out various online functions. It's just not up to par. Like, it's an improvement over XIII, sure, but still behind just about everything else.

But hey, day one patch and all that. Fingers are crossed. :p

Lyte Edge

Heh, guess so.

Should make it more accessible for the casual audience though.

This is not really a game for casual players, although I guess some folks will be satisfied just mashing A autocombos out. I think the graphics are going to be a major turn-off to a lot of people, too. It looks like an early-PS3 sequel to Maximum Impact.

giphy.gif

petran79

Banned
In XIV characters have a lot of voiced character specific quotes during the win screen.

All right then! That is what I heard too but was not sure

This is not really a game for casual players, although I guess some folks will be satisfied just mashing A autocombos out. I think the graphics are going to be a major turn-off to a lot of people, too. It looks like an early-PS3 sequel to Maximum Impact.

Casual players can play that Chinese Tencent game that is free and has better netcode.

BadWolf

It's not just about graphics though, or stuff like GG and Tekken would be outselling Street Fighter.

Timu

Wow...I can't believe it!!! This has to be a 1st. Also the default is just easy from what I tried in the demo, needs to be on 4 at least to be challenging.

mollipen

She's also bi, because she doesn't care what your "platform" is. *wink wink*

Edit: Wait, dammit, XIV is on less platforms than SFV. Why in the hell did I think it was also Xbox One? My joke is ruined. :(

3xtVuEM.png

So like doesn't this kinda sound like I can pick the game up today?

I assume you're not the only one. The uptick in online players in the past few days has been noticeable. Ran into an Athena player last night that utterly destroyed me.

I'm 100% an online warrior at this point. I rarely get a chance to play with anyone locally, so bad netcode means the game doesn't get played much if at all. I've been trying with KOF since I got it last Tuesday. Been playing it every chance I get. Forgoing time spent in practice mode learning stuff to keep messing with and testing out various online functions. It's just not up to par. Like, it's an improvement over XIII, sure, but still behind just about everything else.

But hey, day one patch and all that. Fingers are crossed. :p

I find on Ranked, I'm okay. Lobbies are where I have issues and I can't tell if that's because of the number of players in the lobby or not. Problem is it has been harder to find Ranked matches.

I only look at reviews for possible net code issues. Without them they are meaningless. Really the only genre of games for me where reviews don't mean anything for me.

I mean it's been playable online for quite some time now. All we're missing is this supposed day-one patch and the influx of more players.

Edit: Wait, dammit, XIV is on less platforms than SFV. Why in the hell did I think it was also Xbox One? My joke is ruined. :(

giphy.gif

=P

I mean it's been playable online for quite some time now. All we're missing is this supposed day-one patch and the influx of more players.

This is what I am most concerned about. I had the chance to pick up the game 2 weeks ago but didn't want to take a gamble with $65 just to find out whether is was good or not.

RedAssedApe

Banned
3xtVuEM.png

So like doesn't this kinda sound like I can pick the game up today?

if that's best buy they probably won't let you (i've never gotten them to release a game to me). its standard practice for you to get the e-mail on monday before release tuesday

OSHAN

How embarrassing. I'll quote this for posterity. Never forget.

gross

Just read an excerpt from a SRK article regarding the balance changes in the day 1 patch (Mai nerfed, King of Dinosaurs buffed) and came across this.

In addition to these, game designer Hidetoshi “Neo_G” Ishizawa addressed comments about other characters (such as Andy) being too strong by stating that the characters in the game have been balanced so that they all feel strong, and that he wants to see them in the hands of players before thinking about making any further balance changes.

I do not know if this should be in here but I really wanted to post it because I like this approach to the characters in the game as opposed to the DLC character philosophy of SFV of making characters weaker on purpose. As many can agree that the DLC characters pale in comparison to the rest of the cast. I am a firm believer that every character should be strong by design instead of having to be buffed to be strong.

BadWolf

King of Dinousaurs has some great quotes btw

Looking forward to them!

I do not know if this should be in here but I really wanted to post it because I like this approach to the characters in the game as opposed to the DLC character philosophy of SFV of making characters weaker on purpose. As many can agree that the DLC characters pale in comparison to the rest of the cast.

Capcom is in a tougher spot since they are balancing the DLC characters post launch and have a lot of money on the line with their tournament series. They have also stated up front that they won't be doing a balance patch until after Capcom Cup. This pretty much requires them to play things safe.

The best way to put it is SFV is like a SF game.

KOF is like a KOF game.

Play what you like. I'mma hit both of them up.

Also, kudos to SNK for keeping the game balanced with that many characters. That's a pretty big feat.

Top Bottom