• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV Review Thread

Pompadour

I do not know if this should be in here but I really wanted to post it because I like this approach to the characters in the game as opposed to the DLC character philosophy of SFV of making characters weaker on purpose. As many can agree that the DLC characters pale in comparison to the rest of the cast. I am a firm believer that every character should be strong by design instead of having to be buffed to be strong.

Do we actually know if this is true? Did Capcom state that this was their balance philosophy or are we just assuming as the DLC characters are a little underwhelming?

Which I don't even agree with, necessarily. The worst characters in the game are a part of the launch cast.

Fandangox

I was just thinking how you could make a school dance analogy comparing SFV and KoF XIV.

SFV is the most popular girl in school. Head cheerleader. Valedictorian. Perfect 10 body. Buuuuut, she's a total bitch. She goes to the dance with you, is even up for sex later but she's very demanding. Has you pay for EVERY little thing. Doesn't even treat you that well. After a while you wonder if it was all worth it JUST to have the most popular girl.

KoF XIV is the shy, nerdy girl next door. Not even close to a 10, but cute in her own down-to-earth kind of way. Much nicer and sweeter in person. She's a really clumsy and terrible dancer, and you'll have to deal with hecklers, but you have a great time and a lot of fun being with her.

Of course I'm not saying you HAVE to choose ONE, I just think it makes for a fun comparison. Just got the email from Best Buy that my Premium Edition is going to be ready tomorrow, but it'll be a lot longer before I can play it as I have no PS4 :( I just really wanted those great bonuses.

what the fuck

BadWolf

Wow.The scores are a bit unexpected.

Did they make the execution humanly possible this time around ?

Combos are much, much easier this time and there are many ways to approach them.

The mechanic of canceling one special move into another from XIII (drive canceling) is gone completely.

If you can to QCF moves then you should be able to do the vast majority of the moves in the game.

People really think this game is balanced? As if game reviewers are going to be able to know that....

The game has been playable at many tournaments.

It's too early to talk about balance either way though.

Lothars

The best way to put it is SFV is like a SF game.

KOF is like a KOF game.

Play what you like. I'mma hit both of them up.

Also, kudos to SNK for keeping the game balanced with that many characters. That's a pretty big feat.
Yup my game is preloaded, I can't wait to play it.

People really think this game is balanced? As if game reviewers are going to be able to know that....

There have been tons of hands-on with the game from players of various skill levels. I'm not just talking about the reviews as obviously they aren't indicating one way or the other.

Yup my game is preloaded, I can't wait to play it.

I want digital but I wouldn't be able to play it tonight anyway :(

mollipen

Combos are much, much easier this time and there are many ways to approach them.

The mechanic of canceling one special move into another from XIII (drive canceling) is gone completely.

If you can to QCF moves then you should be able to do the vast majority of the moves in the game.

That said, in terms of input strictness, it still definitely feels like an SNK game.

BadWolf

That said, in terms of input strictness, it still definitely feels like an SNK game.

It's more lenient than before but if you want to tap down-forward twice to get a DP then yeah, you might have some issues.

The special move buffer is super generous though, this makes things like super canceling and stringing moves together very lenient.

Neoxon

KOF is like a KOF game.

Also, kudos to SNK for keeping the game balanced with that many characters. That's a pretty big feat.
This

I'll hit up KoF whenever I get my paycheck.

qcf x2

Just read an excerpt from a SRK article regarding the balance changes in the day 1 patch (Mai nerfed, King of Dinosaurs buffed) and came across this.

I do not know if this should be in here but I really wanted to post it because I like this approach to the characters in the game as opposed to the DLC character philosophy of SFV of making characters weaker on purpose. As many can agree that the DLC characters pale in comparison to the rest of the cast. I am a firm believer that every character should be strong by design instead of having to be buffed to be strong.

To be fair, Capcom pretty much said the same thing about SFV, that they wanted characters strong and preferred to buff others around the strongest character(s) as opposed to nerfs. Discussing DLC is a diff thing altogether, as there are no current plans for DLC characters in KoF so there's no relevance.

KOF is like a KOF game.

Seriously, consumers need to stop thinking of themselves as being locked up or in some sort of committed relationship w/ a product/company. As long as we have time and money we're all free agents, and the more time and money you have the more you get to enjoy.

Wow.The scores are a bit unexpected.

Did they make the execution humanly possible this time around ?

Execution is easy. My friend who struggles w/ inputs at times in SFV cleared the KoF tutorial (includes canceling supers into each other) with ease. Also for those who absolutely suck at fighters but just want to do some cool stuff there's the Rush (mash square to get auto combo) feature.

Way too early for balance discussions.

Do we actually know if this is true? Did Capcom state that this was their balance philosophy or are we just assuming as the DLC characters are a little underwhelming?

Which I don't even agree with, necessarily. The worst characters in the game are a part of the launch cast.

"In terms of tournament viability, we're working hard to ensure that every additional character added to the game is capable, but not overpowered; as protecting the game's balance is of the utmost importance to us," expressed Rosas.

This is all I could find in such short time. Make it what you will but the fact that every DLC character released has been underwhelming so far to keep "the balance" shows me that they are balancing with too much caution as to not break the game's "balance". You can clearly see which route they took with how the DLC characters have turned out so far. I wouldn't put any DLC characters in the top 10 personally.

But this thread isn't to discuss that. If you'd like to discuss further I'd suggest we move it into the OT.

To be fair, Capcom pretty much said the same thing about SFV, that they wanted characters strong and preferred to buff others around the strongest character(s) as opposed to nerfs. Discussing DLC is a diff thing altogether, as there are no current plans for DLC characters in KoF so there's no relevance.

Fair enough. We all saw how the DLC character for KoF13 turned out anyways.

Mister Wolf

If the online is as good as KOFXIII Steam Edition, I'll buy. If not I'll wait for the eventual Steam release.

I would say its better. Literally the first snk console game ive been able to play with lagless matches. Ive played 12 on ps4 and 13 on ps4 and Steam.

mollipen

It's more lenient than before but if you want to tap down-forward twice to get a DP then yeah, you might have some issues.

It's still so night and day playing this and then going back to SFV. I love SNK, but I've always had a gripe with their inputs. One of their "transitions" that I'm not really a fan of, especially given how hard that can make some matches if there's just enough lag to throw things off.

It's still so night and day playing this and then going back to SFV. I love SNK, but I've always had a gripe with their inputs. One of their "transitions" that I'm not really a fan of, especially given how hard that can make some matches if there's just enough lag to throw things off.

Are you pretty familiar with SNK shortcuts for motions? There are quite a few of them that you can do to make execution easier for some harder to do motions.

Litterally the king of fighters when it comes to reviews?

GGXrd Revelator will probably still be higher when all is said and done.

vulva

Well I THOUGHT I was being fun and clever :(

bQ4qx1qT28rHG.gif

So wait, you want to fuck a disc?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Eh. I think it definitely needs another balance pass.
The Day one patch has balance changes, so no one has played the "release" balance yet.
Having said that, no game with 50 characters at launch can be perfectly balanced lol

Not a fighting game fan, decided to try this out and wow! I really enjoyed my time with it and so much so that I am contemplating getting the steelbook edition from Amazon. However, I just wanted some advice on what the best control method would be for this game. Should I just start out trying with the Dualshock 4 or invest into something else? Thanks for the help!

BadWolf

This is not being released on steam? I thought it was!

Not this year.

Next year is very likely though.

Not a fighting game fan, decided to try this out and wow! I really enjoyed my time with it and so much so that I am contemplating getting the steelbook edition from Amazon. However, I just wanted some advice on what the best control method would be for this game. Should I just start out trying with the Dualshock 4 or invest into something else? Thanks for the help!

A controller to start should be perfectly okay. If you think you need something different then you can get a stick later but plenty of players play on controllers even in tournaments. So at the end of the day it's mostly about personal preference.

Here's a neat vid SNK released where someone teaches Yuri's voice actor (who has never played a fighter before) how to play XIV with a controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--JrBEE0Ky8

I was just thinking how you could make a school dance analogy comparing SFV and KoF XIV.

SFV is the most popular girl in school. Head cheerleader. Valedictorian. Perfect 10 body. Buuuuut, she's a total bitch. She goes to the dance with you, is even up for sex later but she's very demanding. Has you pay for EVERY little thing. Doesn't even treat you that well. After a while you wonder if it was all worth it JUST to have the most popular girl.

KoF XIV is the shy, nerdy girl next door. Not even close to a 10, but cute in her own down-to-earth kind of way. Much nicer and sweeter in person. She's a really clumsy and terrible dancer, and you'll have to deal with hecklers, but you have a great time and a lot of fun being with her.

Of course I'm not saying you HAVE to choose ONE, I just think it makes for a fun comparison. Just got the email from Best Buy that my Premium Edition is going to be ready tomorrow, but it'll be a lot longer before I can play it as I have no PS4 :( I just really wanted those great bonuses.

You don't really play fighting games a lot huh?

qcf x2

It's playable on a pad thanks to the 4 button nature but as with most fighters you're probably better off getting a stick if you can & if you plan to play it a lot. Super canceling with the qcb, qcf motions (and doing short hops by pressing up, down) on the DS4 might give you an old school thumb blister eventually.

The great thing about getting a stick is it will work with future fighters :)

Skilletor

TT2 has held up well!

At launch. TTT2 had tons of stupid stuff in the first arcade versions. :p

Console version is Tekken after a major revision and tons of patches.

This game is going to be pretty silly, imo. Nak is already looking on some CvS1 shit, unless something changed in this day 1 patch.

Hopefully we get meaningful, and spaced out, balance patches.

RedAssedApe

Banned
but i want it nowwwww

I went in one time on Monday at 8:55 PM and asked them nicely if they would release the game to me because another local store was doing a midnight release but the one I pre-ordered wasn't.

They weren't mean about it but the manager just said they get in trouble for breaking street date and their computers are setup to not allow you to get rung up I think? :(

D-Man

I was kinda lukewarm towards this game at first but I've really warmed up to it as more things were shown off. Wasn't sure if I'd get it or not but I decided to give it a go. The demo was nice and this'll be my first KoF game. I needed more fighters besides SFV and Skullgirls on my PS4.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I went in one time on Monday at 8:55 PM and asked them nicely if they would release the game to me because another local store was doing a midnight release but the one I pre-ordered wasn't.

They weren't mean about it but the manager just said they get in trouble for breaking street date and their computers are setup to not allow you to get rung up I think? :(

b-b-but I already paid for it!
Well, I don't want to get anyone in trouble I guess... man tomorrow is gonna be a looooong day

Not this year.

Next year is very likely though.

A controller to start should be perfectly okay. If you think you need something different then you can get a stick later but plenty of players play on controllers even in tournaments. So at the end of the day it's mostly about personal preference.

Here's a neat vid SNK released where someone teaches Yuri's voice actor (who has never played a fighter before) how to play XIV with a controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--JrBEE0Ky8

Thank you very much :)

mollipen

Are you pretty familiar with SNK shortcuts for motions? There are quite a few of them that you can do to make execution easier for some harder to do motions.

Sure, but my concern is still for the non-SNK people out there. I think inputs have been one of the things that made the games feel "harder" than Capcom fighters and other offerings, and I also think they can cause more problems when trying to play online.

It's one of those "both sides" things for me. I think SNK should make their games friendliest and easier for casual players—not putting aside the changes they've already made over the years, because we have it better now than we used to—but how the games feel are just one of the many little things that make SNK fighters feel like SNK fighters.

At launch. TTT2 had tons of stupid stuff in the first arcade versions. :p

Console version is Tekken after a major revision and tons of patches.

This game is going to be pretty silly, imo. Nak is already looking on some CvS1 shit, unless something changed in this day 1 patch.

Hopefully we get meaningful, and spaced out, balance patches.

I've gotta take a look at some of this stuff. I can't wait to see what people break honestly. Will be pretty funny. As long as they do make a commitment to getting great patches out I will be satisfied. I should have gotten the game early this last day of waiting sucks because I know I have to work all day tomorrow :(

Sure, but my concern is still for the non-SNK people out there. I think inputs have been one of the things that made the games feel "harder" than Capcom fighters and other offerings, and I also think they can cause more problems when trying to play online.

It's one of those "both sides" things for me. I think SNK should make their games friendliest and easier for casual players—not putting aside the changes they've already made over the years, because we have it better now than we used to—but how the games feel are just one of the many little things that make SNK fighters feel like SNK fighters.

True. It's gonna be hard to make it easier for people without pissing off the diehards too much. I think the different movement options such as hopping compared to other 2d fighters are harder for people to learn and get down consistent than the move inputs could be.

The inputs are harder, but that's mainly because there are more special and super moves per character than in SF so you don't want any overlap with the inputs. You can only use QCF x 2 for so many super moves per character before they have to use something else.

So wait, you want to fuck a disc?

I was going for a silly-but-kinda-true review analogy over the appeal of each game. How similar and different they are from a casual perspective. The kind of thing you would've heard on X-Play back in the day. I mean you can say KOF is KOF and SF is SF and I absolutely get what you mean, but I think to the general audience they're both just fighting games. And I thought some quirky analogy that made KOF XIV look like the underdog it's been (shunned for its graphics on reveal, but really won over people in the end) and poke fun at SFV a bit with its smaller roster, barebones content at launch and all the DLC would've been good for a few laughs.

You don't really play fighting games a lot huh?

I'm a weird anomaly of a fighting game fan. I LOVE 2D fighting games, don't care for 3D fighting games with dial-a-combo systems, yet my skill level isn't much better than a button masher. But I LOVE KOF all the same. It just clicks for me.

mollipen

The inputs are harder, but that's mainly because there are more special and super moves per character than in SF so you don't want any overlap with the inputs. You can only use QCF x 2 for so many super moves per character before they have to use something else.

I mean less the crazy inputs themselves, and more how strict the games are at reading them and getting them to execute. I mean, SNK's games are no original Street Fighter, but their fighters are the only ones where I can have three different decent controller options—DS4, Hori FC4, TE2 stick—and not feel like any of them are as comfortable to use as I'd like.

I mean less the crazy inputs themselves, and more how strict the games are at reading them and getting them to execute. I mean, SNK's games are no original Street Fighter, but their fighters are the only ones where I can have three different decent controller options—DS4, Hori FC4, TE2 stick—and not feel like any of them are as comfortable to use as I'd like.

That's true. I'm just comparing my experience with the demo to my time with KOF13 and the timing seems less strict here than in 13, but it's still takes some time to get comfortable with.

Gestault

I always heard dial-a-combo as referring to games that had pre-designated combo patterns, as opposed to mechanics where certain classes of moves would link in a more tree-like system.

Nooooo the only games that do that sort of thing are KI and its ilk. Tekken and every other 3D game is freeform.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I specifically remember earlier Tekken games being the subject of that description/criticism. Considering things like the Tekken 3 strategy guide literally listed "every" combo, I think that was right.

Ferrio

Banned
Dial-a-combo are just what people call chain combos in fighting games they hate. It has no barring on the actual depth or difficulty of the games combo system.

I always heard dial-a-combo as referring to games that had pre-designated combo patterns, as opposed to mechanics where certain classes of moves would link in a more tree-like system.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I specifically remember earlier Tekken games being the subject of that description/criticism. Considering things like the Tekken 3 strategy guide literally listed "every" combo, I think that was right.

You are thinking of the 10 Hit Combo that every character has. Otherwise, Tekken allows you to branch off and make your own.

MrCarter

Apart from the graphics and character models I do like the gameplay. I just hope it lasts beyond a few months and gets to be popular at tournies.

Top Bottom