• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV Review Thread

I SWEAR that's what I heard the terminology was called as far back as Tekken 3 (the first game in that serious I tried) and as recent (for me) as the Maximum Impact games. Either that or "Combo tree". What do you kids call it these days?

Games like Tekken and VF never had "dial-a-combos". You must be thinking of the recent MKs as those games have gotten a lot of hate using that phrase for their system.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great Reviews so far, though I laugh at the people acting like the characters lack... character due to the graphics. There's so many lovingly added details to just about everyone. Lights and Shading don't detract from hand-animated cloth, Billy's Kane bending in motions, Zarina's well-animated pants legs, loads of proper lipsynch for poses, potentially thousands of voiced post-match dialogue, and all the Pachislot-like CGs for the story mode.

Thanks again for making this thread, OSHAN!

I SWEAR that's what I heard the terminology was called as far back as Tekken 3 (the first game in that serious I tried) and as recent (for me) as the Maximum Impact games. Either that or "Combo tree". What do you kids call it these days?

"Dial-A-Combo" for me and mine, was coined for MK's combos ala MK3 era. Chains in Darkstalkers and Alpha and Marvel Series were always called "Chains". The two very rarely mingled.

K.I's old combos... I dunno, they were more a thesis than a phone number, lol. Though I think I heard the term used for them, too.

However, Tekken's 10 hit combos were definitely Dials to me back then. Especially the button sounds they made when you'd watch the examples.

"1-800, DIAL-A-COMBO!"

Virtua Fighter had it's PPPK combos, but I don't remember anyone calling them Dials. VF was always seen as the highly skilled, intimidating game, so it'd be like going up to Mr. Miyagi and calling him a loon; RESPECT THE BEST.

I used to laugh at how you could Dial the ENTIRE combo in an MK game before the first 2 hits even came out, and the whole thing would just work. It really put me off the games, and still stays with me to this day. I don't really like Tekken's 10 hits either, gameplay wise, but the beast sounds of King doing his 10 strings stay with me now, too. I KNOW the beats of a Tekken 10 hit from back in the day in my head, and the motions pop up even when I hear the attacks going off in T7 on streams.

thelastword

Banned
Played the demo, really liked the smoothness of play, 60fps solid on everything not a framedrop.

Glad it's doing well in reviews, ashame about the online feedback so far though, they did great work improving the online code for KOF 13 on PC, so you would think the transition would be easier, hopefully they patch it up.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
In the few arcades I attended back in the 90s to early 2000's, the 'Dial A Combo' specifically referred to 6 button combo heavy games like Xmen V SF all the way to MVC2.
Notably because you started pressing lights, and filled the combo with every other button for many characters. It was similar to dialing a phone number on one of these.

cordless-telephone-ge-intact2.jpg

Sorry for the confusion then. I had tried games like Tekken 3 and Soulcalibur 2 and they just didn't click for me, I just never had any fun playing them (well the latter having Link was a little fun), so I've avoided them like the plague hence the lack of knowledge.

Deserved, but not surprised.

I've been messing around with the demo, and the visuals are a lot better than people think. The videos don't do it justice; the game looks WAY better on your TV than it will on youtube.

It's come a log way since that abysmal first showing. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow and getting some time in.

How long does it take to get used to a fightstick? >_>

Deserved, but not surprised.

I've been messing around with the demo, and the visuals are a lot better than people think. The videos don't do it justice; the game looks WAY better on your TV than it will on youtube.

It's come a log way since that abysmal first showing. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow and getting some time in.

All depends on how fast you can graft on execution in general. I'm ass, so it's taking me a while..

Menitta

Keep at it. It took me a few weeks to get used to a fightstick. I'd pick a game that you know the mechanics enough, but also don't have muscle memory with a pad. I can't play P4A with a fightstick, but at the time, I could get used to SF4 with a stick because I haven't played it too much.

Glad it is getting good reviews. The demo was good fun and looked a lot better than the videos led on.

I wish I could grab this day one, but hoping to pick it up real soon. I'm out of a Plus sub too, bah!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Did you ever play in arcades? If so, it's not much to get used to, just muscle memory!
Past that... varies. I got a cheaper stick before I purchased an expensive one, so I could get used to things again. Stick build has a lot to do with how quickly you acclimate to it; the more expensive stick had MUCH better buttons, and they responded as soon as my fingers BRUSHED the buttons. The cheap stick required dedicated presses.

For me, Controllers are designed well enough with shortcuts for buttons and stuff, that you can "main" a controller and be OK in most games now. A stick is for when you want to put more of your fingers to use, having "quick" access to each button in an eventually-more-immediate way. Holding a single button while pressing another is a lot easier on sticks, and some motions for things like hopping might come more natural to you, as well.

that's my main :D

I wouldn't be surprised if I made it in reply to you, lol. And I still want Final Shodown to pop up on X1BC, but that's neither here nor there...

So is KOF 1080P 60 FPS?

Digifoundry tested on the demo, told us it was, with not a drop in sight.

Did you ever play in arcades? If so, it's not much to get used to, just muscle memory!
Past that... varies. I got a cheaper stick before I purchased an expensive one, so I could get used to things again. Stick build has a lot to do with how quickly you acclimate to it; the more expensive stick had MUCH better buttons, and they responded as soon as my fingers BRUSHED the buttons. The cheap stick required dedicated presses.

For me, Controllers are designed well enough with shortcuts for buttons and stuff, that you can "main" a controller and be OK in most games now. A stick is for when you want to put more of your fingers to use, having "quick" access to each button in an eventually-more-immediate way. Holding a single button while pressing another is a lot easier on sticks, and some motions for things like hopping might come more natural to you, as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if I made it in reply to you, lol. And I still want Final Shodown to pop up on X1BC, but that's neither here nor there...

Digifoundry tested on the demo, told us it was, with not a drop in sight.

so when's the OT gonna go up. I can't help but anticipate it.

qcf x2

The inputs are harder, but that's mainly because there are more special and super moves per character than in SF so you don't want any overlap with the inputs. You can only use QCF x 2 for so many super moves per character before they have to use something else.

But I'd argue their current variants are no harder than qcf x2, just different. And yeah there's more input leniency in XIV, especially compared to the hallmarks of the franchise. I mean, I will likely never advance beyond beginner-fun level in KoF 2002 because the game just does not like my admittedly messy inputs and the hitstun is so brief that I can't reliably get "simple" things to connect, like jump in, attack, super. The controls in the demo for XIV were so comparatively lenient I was doing combo video type stuff within like 10 minutes.

Great Reviews so far, though I laugh at the people acting like the characters lack... character due to the graphics. There's so many lovingly added details to just about everyone. Lights and Shading don't detract from hand-animated cloth, Billy's Kane bending in motions, Zarina's well-animated pants legs, loads of proper lipsynch for poses, potentially thousands of voiced post-match dialogue, and all the Pachislot-like CGs for the story mode.

Thanks again for making this thread, OSHAN!

Overall the game looks "OK" but I will put myself out there and say for the record that KoF has never looked better to me. It was never an amazing looking series all around -- even XIII has several flaws aesthetically -- but XIV strikes me as a big step towards modernizing a game that was kind of burdened with being the last great pixelized series. It doesn't look like a mess, it looks like KoF, even if like... Andy, Athena and Yuri need to look way better next time around (bring back thickythighs Athena thx). Some characters (Angel, Kula, K', etc) look better than ever. The 60fps is a huge deal, it's so smooth in motion that it's worth the character models not being amazing.

Ed note: When writing this post I got distracted by Angel cosplay pics. Fuuuuuuu

Took me like 1.5 - 2 months to readjust when I got my first "pro" stick for SF4's launch... and I grew up in the arcades. Arcades were my parents. The key is to stick with it and not run back to the pad right away even though you'll be tempted because things you had down pat will seem like mission impossible.

sibarraz

Banned
Gotta admit, the first trailer made me think that SNK jsut threw whatever shit they had and give up with actually releasing something, and that in 4 more months the game would have been canceled burying the game division of SNK for good

Fortunely, after the trailer we knew that a chinese companyu bought SNK and gradually the game was loking better, till the end were it seems that the game is critically acclaimed

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The IQ of this game is probably the best of any fighting game released this generation.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Yeah, I was previously an Arcade player. I fell out of fighting games with MvC2. (yeah, I know,)

KoF will be my first fighter since then. I was going to jump back in with SFV, but I decided to wait it out. So I'm returning from a very, very long hiatus.

I'm just gonna have to remember how to do it!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Overall the game looks "OK" but I will put myself out there and say for the record that KoF has never looked better to me. It was never an amazing looking series all around -- even XIII has several flaws aesthetically -- but XIV strikes me as a big step towards modernizing a game that was kind of burdened with being the last great pixelized series. It doesn't look like a mess, it looks like KoF, even if like... Andy, Athena and Yuri need to look way better next time around (bring back thickythighs Athena thx). Some characters (Angel, Kula, K', etc) look better than ever. The 60fps is a huge deal, it's so smooth in motion that it's worth the character models not being amazing.

Ed note: When writing this post I got distracted by Angel cosplay pics. Fuuuuuuu

I'm a detail person, and that's one thing I love about pretty much every iteration of SNK: They love fanboying out on stupid details. Even if their sprites aren't the same quality as SFIII or something at the time on a technical level, the kind of emotion and personality they made out of their style with their shooters and fighters was always at another level.

It's the kind of stuff that defines gaming, to me. And the "OK" graphics allowed them to pull this off with a game that has as much cast in 1 product as the last 3 fighters I purchased combined, lol. And nothing gameplay related seems lacking in answer to this; The characters are all full of personality in their movesets and animations. We're not sitting on a lack of DMs, or movelist that feel limited by lack of time or design.

XBLA era made it clear to me that lookin' like Gears of War didn't make a game any more fun for me to play than something that was 250 megs in size with "OK" textures and stuff. If anything, I kinda hate bloatedly huge games like MKX which take more space than I personally find them worth, lol.

This game will provide me the most gameplay on my PS4 since like... EDF 4.1. Surely, the graphics of the best games of the system don't seem to do anything to impress me much, lol.

qcf x2

I'm a detail person, and that's one thing I love about pretty much every iteration of SNK: They love fanboying out on stupid details. Even if their sprites aren't the same quality as SFIII or something at the time on a technical level, the kind of emotion and personality they made out of their style with their shooters and fighters was always at another level.

It's the kind of stuff that defines gaming, to me. And the "OK" graphics allowed them to pull this off with a game that has as much cast in 1 product as the last 3 fighters I purchased combined, lol. And nothing gameplay related seems lacking in answer to this; The characters are all full of personality in their movesets and animations. We're not sitting on a lack of DMs, or movelist that feel limited by lack of time or design.

XBLA era made it clear to me that lookin' like Gears of War didn't make a game any more fun for me to play than something that was 250 megs in size with "OK" textures and stuff. If anything, I kinda hate bloatedly huge games like MKX which take more space than I personally find them worth, lol.

This game will provide me the most gameplay on my PS4 since like... EDF 4.1. Surely, the graphics of the best games of the system don't seem to do anything to impress me much, lol.

Yep, and this point in the PS4's life cycle, even the best looking games by genre still have some sore spots (in my experience, anyway). So it's not like there's a flawless looking fighting game out there. And as I've said before, graphical prowess is the absolute last thing I care about in a fighting (or any fast twitch) game. It's more about the care/details, like you said.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Quality is also contextual. Even though SNK themselves admits they can and will improve their ability with 3D characters further, I think the game looks fine considering fighting games with fresh sets of assets never launch with anything like 50 characters.

Enough of the KoF personality comes through to me that it feels legit.

Loona

Having to wait for this in Europe is nerve-wrecking... I'd be going mad if SRW OG Moon Dwellers wasn't keeping me entertained...Good to know the response so far has been good, I hope it keep up as more people go online.

Sooo is there any way to use an Xbox 360 SF4 MadCatz TE stick on a PS4?

I'd love to pick this up, but only if I can use my stick.

Tranquilo

Banned
Here's a review I wrote for Sega Nerds.

tl;dr - I freaking love the game, and contrary to popular opinion, I think it looks great. The fighters' personalities really shine through in their animations and facial expressions. It's been such a charming and addictive romp. I haven't been this into a fighting game since Soul Calibur IV, and this is my first KoF!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sooo is there any way to use an Xbox 360 SF4 MadCatz TE stick on a PS4?

I'd love to pick this up, but only if I can use my stick.

Theoretically, if you can get the stick to identify as a PS3 stick, it should work. My Dual modded stick worked with SFV, for example. Haven't heard for this one yet, though, specifically.

Here's a review I wrote for Sega Nerds.

tl;dr - I freaking love the game, and contrary to popular opinion, I think it looks great. The fighters' personalities really shine through in their animations and facial expressions. It's been such a charming and addictive romp. I haven't been this into a fighting game since Soul Calibur IV, and this is my first KoF!

*ThisManGetsIt*

Yeah, I love this kinda stuff in games. The feeling I had playing Soul Calibur 3 for the first time, going through it's bonus modes, watching stupid stuff like the maids and Create-A-Soul's fighting, seeing all the interactions between characters in the Strat-RPG mode... that kinda stuff is rarely forgotten in games.

I just don't get that from your average grimdark open world or zombie survival game. I spend a lot of time just despising the characterization, and wishing I was playing something with characters I actually wanted to get to know, rather than wishing they'd shut up, lol. The beauty of old school arcade-style games, made by passionate teams who wanted every sound, stage, and voice to be memorable, is something that'll always resonate with me, no matter how far we get from that era of gaming.

Samus4145

My review went up yesterday for SelectButton. Probably my new favorite and go-to fighting game. Haven't experienced any type of slow-down from the over 20+ hours I put into it. The characters have plenty of style, but do lose some of their charm in the move to 3D.

Top Bottom