• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

Detractors will continue to detract and offer their unsolicited financial advice about how best to spend £64/$70

But this is still me when Amazon prime drops the preorder through my letter box

a144fe40da2f13da25c3c8e60c7c0ffb0f86d975.gifv

I think most are satisfied with the graphics although after TLOU2 it's not really next generation, Naughty Dog have their next game for that. I'm somewhat let down by them not expanding the environments, with TLOU2 AI it would have been far better to have larger areas for each encounter. Still excited to replay it again though.

EDMIX

Detractors will continue to detract and offer their unsolicited financial advice about how best to spend £64/$70

But this is still me when Amazon prime drops the preorder through my letter box

a144fe40da2f13da25c3c8e60c7c0ffb0f86d975.gifv

Come on now, not only do you not know how to spend your own money and you know this is going to be a bad product you could tell the originals mo Superior look at the dread in his face, the sense of shame and embarrassment of failing his brother, something that I don't know is possible for anyone playing the Remake to understand

They're probably going to be confused with the story bro! /s

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This leak has combat gameplay. I have to say, the AI looks a lot better than the original. Animations look better too.

Joel's animations look identical to me. It's almost like they are not using any of the new animations from TLOU2. Everything from running, crouching, throwing, vaulting and even the hostage kill is identical to the first game. Enemies do have the gore from 2 and might have have better death animations, but Joel is the same.

If I had to guess they didnt "port" over the main character animations from the sequel because they were mocapped by two female actors. And we know from the reveal, Troy Baker was not involved in this remake at all. So they probably realized that Joel would look stupid running like Abby and decided to keep the animations from the first game. That would also explain why dodge, prone and enhanced melee animations are missing despite them including their motion matching tech in the game.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford What do you think?

Joel's animations look identical to me. It's almost like they are not using any of the new animations from TLOU2. Everything from running, crouching, throwing, vaulting and even the hostage kill is identical to the first game. Enemies do have the gore from 2 and might have have better death animations, but Joel is the same.

If I had to guess they didnt "port" over the main character animations from the sequel because they were mocapped by two female actors. And we know from the reveal, Troy Baker was not involved in this remake at all. So they probably realized that Joel would look stupid running like Abby and decided to keep the animations from the first game. That would also explain why dodge, prone and enhanced melee animations are missing despite them including their motion matching tech in the game.

Animations do look improved to me though they may not be as expansive as tlou2

Last edited:

Stooky

In order to get motion matching they have to get new Mocap. I think I you’ll see a blend of both old and new in Joel’s move set. Obviously they still want the look of tlou I wouldn’t expect it to look too different.

Last edited:
I think most are satisfied with the graphics although after TLOU2 it's not really next generation, Naughty Dog have their next game for that. I'm somewhat let down by them not expanding the environments, with TLOU2 AI it would have been far better to have larger areas for each encounter. Still excited to replay it again though.
We shouldn't be satisfied with LoU2 graphics for a ps5 Naughty Dog game though. Why have we allowed our expectations to drop? " Naughty Dog have their next game for that". Why not this game? 2 years have past since LoU2 and this is on the ps5. The graphics should be better, period. At least their not charging $70 though, right?

GymWolf

Gold Member
The hanging body swaying after using a nail bomb.
Improved gore.
Leaf dropping from the tree.
I only watched the bomb scene on my tablet and not in my big tv but it looks like an improved blood splash but how can you say upgraded gore? You can blow up hands legs and heads in the ps3 games aswell.

Is there any detail that is escaping me or another scene in the same video? Honest question since improved gore was one of my hopes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm buying this thing aswell so i'm not gonna tell people how to spend their money, but you are not gonna piss much of anything in a forum like gaf where majority are sony fans.
I think the time this is a sony forum is long gone. It's clearly not anymore.
And I am getting it for myself. I was only joking about getting it out of spite

TonyK

KOYTvPv.jpg

It looks better, but still at PS4 level. It looks similar to The Last of Us 2, but not like I expect from a PS5 game. The thing is, why will this remake not be released for PS4 when it's clearly achievable in PS4?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
KOYTvPv.jpg

It looks better, but still at PS4 level. It looks similar to The Last of Us 2, but not like I expect from a PS5 game. The thing is, why will this remake not be released for PS4 when it's clearly achievable in PS4?

Visually it may be achievable, but there is still things they would have to cut. No DualSense, fast loading, or higher frame rate. Not major compromises, but then there is the fact that Sony wants to start promoting PS5 over PS4 which is probably the more compelling reason.

SSfox

Remember back then when Sony owned a talented studio that make new exciting fresh games? It was called Naughty Dog, good times.

Bartski

Gold Member

leaker AMA:

- almost identical level design as in original
- huge upgrade in facial expressions also in gameplay
- incredibly detailed particle system
- gore system from P2 or better
- no improvements in combat mechanics, lack of mobility from Part 2 disappointing
- insanely good, accurate 3d audio
- load times non-existent, up to 5 secs from the main menu
- UI is exactly like P2
- looks immaculate with HDR, "best looking PS5 game to date"

Ellery

leaker AMA:

- no improvements in combat mechanics, lack of mobility from Part 2 disappointing
- UI is exactly like P2

Looks like we have to double dip on PC and then mod Devil May Cry moves into this game. It might break immersion a tiny, but clickers won't see Joel activating devil trigger slashing them into ten thousand pieces 50 feet in the air.

leaker AMA:

- UI is exactly like P2

Throwing bottles and bricks while moving is a clear improvement in combat mechanics

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Q: Do enemies scream out names like in Part 2?
A: Yes

Yes! EXCEPT ONE BIG EXCEPTION. If you recall, opening a drawer in Part Ii allows you to to pick up items in one fluid animation. In Part I, Joel will open drawer, exit animation, idle, then the prompt to pick item up will show. Other than that, all animations are updated like in Part II. Even down to the little hesitation that Ellie and Abby does when jumping off of a larger than normal drop.

Gameplay is identical to the remaster. However, it FEELS better due to the amount of overhaul that went in. The buddy and AI system is similar but marginally better than Part II. Exploration does feel lacking when compared to Part II.

Unfortunately, They have already come out and expressed there is no gameplay improvements. Granted, the game still feels better to play than the original. It’s not as janky in general but much more buttery and smooth. But you cannot prone or dodge. You cannot take weapons out of enemy hands like Ellie could. Maps are the same.

Looks like they improved on the existing mechanics and made it more fluid.

The A.I seem to have had the biggest improvement overall.

I'm surprised that enemies call out each other's names similar to TLOU 2. I still want to see an in depth video comparison between TLOU Remake and TLOU 2.

GymWolf

Gold Member

leaker AMA:

- UI is exactly like P2

creepy-smile.gif

Last edited:
None of the recent gameplay clips have been impressive and these are final build clips (minus day 1 patch probably). But seeing the gameplay unedited like this just kinda confirms that it's not going to "surprise me" in the final retail game. Chief- what did I say about the final release trailer vs the actual game? It's not going to look as good as the trailer. Well, here you go. Same with the gameplay where ellie has the sniper. It's all very last gen.

Looks nice, but not 70€ for me, sorry Sony & ND.
Bought already PS3 and PS4 version.

Will wait for sales around 20-25€ for retail version.

GooseMan69

Why do leakers always look like they’re literally playing a video game for the first time in their life? In the clips above it’s a little kid so I get why he’s bad, but still. You think the people getting their hands on games early would be the sweaty try hards. Nope. It’s usually just somebody stumbling around aimlessly, struggling mightily to perform basic movement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom