• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 2 has sold over 10 million units earlier this year according to Neil Druckmann | Factions 2 is now a standalone multiplayer game

gow3isben

Lol this doesn’t hold a candle to last of us 1 sales. Last of us 1 remaster on ps4 alone sold better. 10 million is great but for the most anticipated game of all time? Cyberpunk level disaster honestly. That also sold way more than 10 million but far below expectations. Pretty sure Ghost sold more than 10. This is never gonna even come close to horizon zero dawn in sales which is just shocking.

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh look a sales number update for TLOU2 when they had something to say about the franchise. It's almost like I said this is exactly when we would get it over and over in threads on this place. But no the morons on here kept saying the game stopped selling after that initial 4 million even though sales charts month after month said otherwise. Good riddance to those ignorant haters.
They already moved goalposts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol this doesn’t hold a candle to last of us 1 sales. Last of us 1 remaster on ps4 alone sold better. 10 million is great but for the most anticipated game of all time? Cyberpunk level disaster honestly. That also sold way more than 10 million but far below expectations. Pretty sure Ghost sold more than 10. This is never gonna even come close to horizon zero dawn in sales which is just shocking.
Huh?

It outsold TLOU1 in the same timeframe (less than 2 years).

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
How do you know what numbers they were hoping for? It sold better than the first game in the same time period. I don't know what the fact that God of War was more popular proves? The game was fantastic, had great reviews, won more GOTY than any other that year.

Im making an educated and logical guess based on past performances. God of War 2018 was a lower budget and high risk game for Sony. It did great sales wise. Last of Us 2 was coming from the critically acclaimed first game and after Uncharted 4 which did almost 9 million in 8 months. So, looking at those figures - 9 million in 8 moths for a 2016 game and 10 million in a year for a 2018 high risk game. For a game that very likely cost much more that both those and was releasing at the end of the console's life where the install base is at its maximum, does it seem like a stretch that this game which sold worse than a game from 2016 and cost maybe double the money was expect to sell more ?

Swift_Star

Banned
You’re actually wrong, TLOU2 sold more on less time than the first game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why? TLOU2 is an amazing game..
R.c1401b4177614d28b3ba11ac8dd70257

Swift_Star

Banned
Im making an educated and logical guess based on past performances. God of War 2018 was a lower budget and high risk game for Sony. It did great sales wise. Last of Us 2 was coming from the critically acclaimed first game and after Uncharted 4 which did almost 9 million in 8 months. So, looking at those figures - 9 million in 8 moths for a 2016 game and 10 million in a year for a 2018 high risk game. For a game that very likely cost much more that both those and was releasing at the end of the console's life where the install base is at its maximum, does it seem like a stretch that this game which sold worse than a game from 2016 and cost maybe double the money was expect to sell more ?
So you know nothing and are using conjecture to concern troll. Typical.
Only on forums people would concern troll to make 10 million sales sound like a failure.

Tripolygon

Banned
Its very good going buy PlayStation numbers standard. They are not Nintendo lol. The later attachment rate is crazy.
Its really not. People have this grand idea that Nintendo games have crazy attach rate. Only a handful of IPs have higher attach rate. Mario Kart and Animal crossing being the only 2 games with crazy attach rate. Everything else is really good but not far of what some Sony IPs sell.

GOW is around 20 million- BOTW is 26 million.
Spiderman is over 20 million - Sword and shield is 24 million.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
So you know nothing and are using conjecture to concern troll. Typical.
Only on forums people would concern troll to make 10 million sales sound like a failure.

If you could remove sony's cock from your mouth for just a quick minute you might actually even understand the words you are reading here. Remember Square Enix and how the many millions for Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were deemed a failure ? People kept saying how can 5 or 10 million be a failure ? Because its about internal projections. What you project and expect to sell.

If you expect to sell 30 million and only sell 20, it means you failed so bad thats its for the history books. You failed by 50% your projections. A 2016 Uncharted game sold 9 million in 8 months. A 2020 game with at least double the budget of Uncharted 4 sold 10 million in 2 years to an install base of 115 million. Does that read like a runaway success to you ? Do you think it is absurd to speculate that they were expecting to sell more than a 4 year old game that costed less to produce and sold to a much smaller install base ? Does that seem like something that makes sense to you ?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Sold half as much as the first game.
Cost twice as much to develop.

No one thought TLoU2 wasn't going to make a profit. It literally drove Naughty Dog into multiplayer.
How much did the first game sell in the same two year time frame? Also for a game that was on two different platforms

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It did?

LoU 1 sales as per Wiki info and articles. It sold 8M in 14 months after launch as the game came out in June 2013 on PS3 and July 2014 for PS4.

LoU 2 sales are 10M in two years.

The Last of Us is one of the best-selling PlayStation 3 games, and Remastered is among the best-selling PlayStation 4 games.[125] By August 2014, the game had sold eight million copies: seven million on PlayStation 3 and one million on PlayStation 4.[126] By April 2018, the game sold 17 million copies across both consoles.[127] According to Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad, the game had sold over 20 million units by October 2019.[128]

How many of those sales were full priced, especially versus the first game?The game did 4 million in the first 3 days of sale, so how was the rest of the sales spread?If the game did 7 million in the first month, but "just" 3 million in the following years, every month doing worse, it wouldn't be what most consider good legs. And how much, considering double the lenght and insane graphical fidelity(and awesome controls) the second has compared to the first, more did TLOU 2 cost? Because if the game cost 300 million to make and market(random guess) but only made 400 million so far(10 million x 40 dollar) I doubt Sony considers that a success.And probably the reason why factions was not given for "free" and instead was reworked into a standalone game.

There is a myriad of variables
Worst case scenario the game's revenue was around 300M on day one and that's assuming everyone bought the standard edition. That's already profit for Sony. There's no need to overthink this.

gow3isben

4.5 million sales first week remember? And then 5.5 million next almost 2 years.

Yup it’s a Cyberpunk.

It blew opening weeks of God of War and Spider-Man as the worlds most anticipated game of all time. And it won’t touch their long term sales.

L

jakinov

The original Last of Us sold 20 million over 9 years over PS3/PS4. Now they tell us that the sequel sold over 10 million in only 2 years. That's a big improvement.
Game sales generally don't grow linearly over time. You'd have to compare how much the Last of Us sold at year 2 to say it's a big improvements. Additionally, if you realy want to compare the two you would need to also look at average sale price.

Are you suggesting 10 million sold is bad?
Not the person you replying to and not saying 10 million is bad for this game. But that number alone is not a good measure of the success of a game generally speaking. Naughty Dog leans on the side of 10 million copies being worst for them becuase of long dev-cycles, cutlre, compeitive pay and where they are located. Again not saying it's bad, just that it's relative.

Lunarorbit

Mother fucker. Next year. I don't want to hear that shit. It's fucking June yall and you've been working on this game for a bit.

Unless I misunderstood his quote

Topher

Gold Member
4.5 million sales first week remember? And then 5.5 million next almost 2 years.

Yup it’s a Cyberpunk.

It blew opening weeks of God of War and Spider-Man as the worlds most anticipated game of all time. And it won’t touch their long term sales.

L

Why are you comparing the game to Cyberpunk? And where is this "worlds most anticipated game of all time" coming from? That's the first I've heard that one.

ksdixon

Jesus Christ there were people saying in 2013 to break off the MP and start throwing weapons, skills, perks, maps, taunts, gameplay modes into MP Factions before modern gaas existed properly. How did it not come with tlou2 or ps5 launch? How you gonna turn up with concept art and say its a year away?

If something comes along like The Day Before and hits that balance just right, Sony have lost their window. TLOU IP already took some bullets with TLOU 2's choices.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Am I the only one who think there taking the piss 😂, Remaking a game that everybody’s played to death charging $70 for it and having it take precedent over an online game they’ve been silent on for 2 years, And now we have to wait another year just to hear about it 🤣 ok 👍.
I shoulda read your take skelterz before I wrote mine. All we've gotten about this game is conflicting info. First it's a bundle in with the new remaster, next its a seriously ambitious multi player game that will have story elements.

Then it's a standalone game that's gonna be small in scope. Like wtf is going on. I don't play a ton of multi player games and the slow pace and action of this game is up my alley.

Sucks gotta wait another year. How about you don't remake the game that was just remastered? Just so you can have it ready for the show? which is also scant on info

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's clear you don't follow video game sales at all and you're just looking for an excuse to downplay 10 million copies sold.

Ghost of Tsushima was right behind The Last of Us Part II in sales in the US. It was WAY Behind the Last of Us Part II sales in Europe. Ghost of Tsushima did not surpass The Last of Us Part II in sales.

Last of Us was bundled with the Last of Us for a long time, which boosted sales numbers.

The game thing happened with Uncharted 4.
s-l640.jpg

Cyberpunk was barely charting after about a month.

The Last of Us Part II was still charting for months.

You guys are coming up with all kinds of excuses. lol

Bragr

Banned
10 million is nuts. Cant believe people were trying to downplay the sales of this game after it sold 4 million in three days.

I cant believe they still arent ready to show off Factions. It's pretty shocking really. Revealing games with concept art is something else.
It's not nuts, it's a great number, it's selling well and will continue to do so, but I doubt they expected anything less.

gow3isben

Lol last of us 2 wasn’t the most anticipated game sure guys it’s a niche title 10 mill is shockingly good for it especially since almost half were in the first week

Nautilus

Banned
Worst case scenario the game's revenue was around 300M on day one and that's assuming everyone bought the standard edition. That's already profit for Sony. There's no need to overthink this.
Where did you take that 300 million from?

And companies aren't here to just cover costs.If a high cost project like this doesn't meet expectations(Which is usually 3x or 4x what they initially invest) then its a failure in their eyes.

This is not "overthinking" it.This is just basic business sense.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Also it sold OVER 10 million earlier this year, meaning before the two year anniversary mark. It could very well be 12-13 million right now for all we know

Bragr

Banned
Didn't Ghost of Tsushima hit 8 million, Days Gone maybe 6-7? Miles Morales 7-8?

I love the game, but I don't know, I think 10 million is the lowest milestone that Sony expected. The massive boost it had from the first game, the huge marketing campaign, 6 years in development. It's not as mind-blowing as I thought it would be. Still great, but I don't know, Spider-Man and God of War were far bigger after 2 years.

Top Bottom