• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

dDoc

I just can't get over how some people can't deal with the reality that people "unlike" themselves exist and can/should be represented in media. Some of you people need help.

As I said earlier I dont have anything against the lgbt crowd. What I do have something against is the media/hollywood/powers that be constantly shoving down our throats the woke stuff.

You unhappy with that? Then you go seek some help buddy.

Mr Moose

It was in one of the DF Directs when they first looked at the reveal trailer. So thats their 4k upscaled solution. Upscaled from 1440p.

The leak showed a 4k 40 fps mode. So its at least a little better than the Uncharted remaster and the TLOU2 BC patch. This could be due to the fact that the levels in TLOU1 are much much smaller compared to the wider levels in TLOU2.
dynamic 4K at targeted 60 FPS
Then they've improved it since then, because 4K DRS is not 1440p.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Thats not Boston, it's pittsburgh.

Boston is the very start of the game when you are with Tess. Yes, they are literally copying and pasting assets here but not everything can be ported over. Entire towns and levels in TLOU have different textures and levels that had to be manually retouched.

Makes sense, thanks.

If they’re lifting assets from PS4, it’s rather dishonest to call it build from the ground up for PS5. I’m sure they reused a lot of stuff. It’s going to be interesting to see just how much.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I really enjoyed the first game. I played it on Normal then Normal+ then Hard and Hard+ then Survivor and Survivor+. Loved how every difficulty played differently. Normal and Hard were great to experience the human fights that felt far more visceral than in any other shooter of the PS3 era. Survivor forced me to basically play the game stealthily which brought with it its own challenges. Once I got the remaster, I did 4 more runs. 3 on Survivor to get all the single player trophies. Ive always had fun playing the game.

The second one was a miserable experience because of poor pacing but I still enjoy the combat encounters. It's not as fun as say MGSV or Destiny, but I would not have replayed the game three times if it wasnt fun to play.
Except max payne 3.

But yeah the nail bomb was probably the most satisfating granade i tossed in the ps3 era, perfect audio design and visceral reaction\perfect ragdoll.

Last edited:
You completely ignored the fact that they're lifting entire assets from old game to this supposedly build from the ground up for next-generation remake.

The color is not the main problem. I'm sure there are yellow taxis in Boston but it would make more sense to include a white one for believability. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
you want them to remodel a Taxi, just cause? Did you also notice the same street lamps as Uncharted 4. WTF.

Believability for who? Every game picks the yellow cabs simply for being iconic.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As I said earlier I dont have anything against the lgbt crowd. What I do have something against is the media/hollywood/powers that be constantly shoving down our throats the woke stuff.

You unhappy with that? Then you go seek some help buddy.

So you do think most leading characters in the 80s, 90s, and 00s being straight\white\males were being shoved down our throats back then?

Moses85

taylor swift haters gonna hate GIF

proandrad

It was in one of the DF Directs when they first looked at the reveal trailer. So thats their 4k upscaled solution. Upscaled from 1440p.

The leak showed a 4k 40 fps mode. So its at least a little better than the Uncharted remaster and the TLOU2 BC patch. This could be due to the fact that the levels in TLOU1 are much much smaller compared to the wider levels in TLOU2.

The game probably also has the framerate unlocked in performance mode with a VRR display. I can't imagine Naughty Dog putting in the effort of having a 40fps mode for 120hz display and not unlocking the framerate for the performance.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game probably also has the framerate unlocked in performance mode with a VRR display. I can't imagine Naughty Dog putting in the effort of having a 40fps mode for 120hz display and not unlocking the framerate for the performance.
The leak screenshot showed an uncapped framerate option yes.

Stooky

What about picking the best pics for tlou2 since those pics are promotional stuff cherrypicked by sony?

DWx9Des6jwQQr6uAJBsXu8.jpg

495115eda160184bb64_33824300-tloupii_review_screenshot_13.jpg

The-Last-of-Us-Part-2_09.jpg

Yeah joel forgetting his sunscreen protection before going to the beach is a huge difference lmao.

There is gonna be a small difference sure, mostly 4k vs 1440p, but you people are really kidding yourself if you think it's a big one...
Nope wrong. They can push high rez un filtered (less mipmaped) textures on PS5. In others words higher detail all around. Think blu ray vs 4k blu ray. That kind of detail would be hard to see in a compressed video.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

So you do think most leading characters in the 80s, 90s, and 00s being straight\white\males were being shoved down our throats back then?

Of course not. Back then it was mainstream. Now the mainstream its beig politically correct even if it is detrimental to the story/project. And the are examples of minoritys in old movies, it just that it not revolved around that.

You completely ignored the fact that they're lifting entire assets from old game to this supposedly build from the ground up for next-generation remake.

The color is not the main problem. I'm sure there are yellow taxis in Boston but it would make more sense to include a white one for believability. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So you guys want they remodel every objects in game?
I don't like this remake but that sounds stupid. Just like people complain about boat animation in GOW ragnarok and Aloy rappeling down animation in HFW.
Just use the old model and make it looks better. What's the big deal?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So you guys want they remodel every objects in game?
I don't like this remake but that sounds stupid. Just like people complain about boat animation in GOW ragnarok and Aloy rappeling down animation in HFW.
Just use the old model and make it looks better. What's the big deal?

God of War Ragnarök is a cross-gen sequel. Horizon Forbidden West is a cross-gen sequel. These games were not advertised as build from the ground up for PS5 and PS5 only.

I don’t recall tlou2 level design being all that different, tbh

It's not that different but obviously levels in TLOU2 are much bigger and are connected in a little bit more organic fashion. Adding things like prone would require them to actually include places you can prone under. That means extra work. And that's a no-no.

SlimySnake

God of War Ragnarök is a cross-gen sequel. Horizon Forbidden West is a cross-gen sequel. These games were not advertised as build from the ground up for PS5 and PS5 only.
I see what you are saying but Jimbo did say that HFW was built from the ground up on PS5.
Here’s a head-scratcher from everyone’s favourite video game executive Jim Ryan: Horizon Forbidden West has been built from the “ground up” for PlayStation 5. Except, as was revealed earlier in the week, the game is also coming to the PlayStation 4. We don’t quite know how that will work, but here’s what the PlayStation boss told the Washington Post.

“No one should be disappointed [about Horizon Forbidden West, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure being on PS4]. The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”
They just say that shit to market the game to people who paid $500 for a console no one is making games for nearly 2 years after launch. It's like when the FF7 Rebirth producer said that they needed the SSD to render the open world while also confirming that they will be using the PS4 character models in the sequel. It's all lies. These suits get paid to lie and mislead. Sad that Neil has turned into these suits.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
A $70 remake and they can’t be arsed to add some minor tweaks to allow prone crawling :LOL:

I know, but people will still defend it. Activision is like one of the most hated companies out there but even they do better remasters than this supposed "remake" and sell them at almost half the price. Games like Call of Duty MW 1 & 2 Remastered, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, Spyro Reignited Trilogy...

I see what you are saying but Jimbo did say that HFW was built from the ground up on PS5.

I guess that was before they stopped believing in generations and announced that it's also coming to PS4.

As someone who plays on Xbox it's great to see these remasters because I never got to play these games and I will be getting a PS5, so to be able to play these for the first time at this fidelity I'd going to be great.
Now get Killzone 2 and 3 done.

It's not that different but obviously levels in TLOU2 are much bigger and are connected in a little bit more organic fashion. Adding things like prone would require them to actually include places you can prone under. That means extra work. And that's a no-no.
It would actually break the game entirely. Have you played it? The enemy encounters are meticulously designed. You can’t shoehorn in features after the fact.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Except max payne 3.

But yeah the nail bomb was probably the most satisfating granade i tossed in the ps3 era, perfect audio design and visceral reaction\perfect ragdoll.

lol just saw your edit and realized that I had just recorded a clip of me blowing up some clickers in TLOU2 because of the amazing gore in this game.

How does prone break the combat?

If what is being claimed is true, why not update the combat space?

I don’t recall tlou2 level design being all that different, tbh
It's a BS excuse from yet another ND dev who is simply detached from their fanbase. They are no longer the A tier studio who would have never settled for less and defend their B effort. I remember them saying they were their own biggest critics, and now this guy is saying that the spaces werent big enough? Well then make them bigger since this is a fucking REMAKE, no?

Regardless, im playing through TLOU2 right now and while the levels are definitely bigger, a lot of fights still take place indoors where prone, dodge and enhanced melee does not break the game. He's just talking nonsense just like that dev who was proud to not have crunched on the game and claimed this was the same quality as TLOU2. They actually believe their own bs.

Guys we didn’t crunch!

It was amazing! Two year vacation layering on TLOU2 textures and character models and importing the AI and calling it a day! So glad we didn’t have to worry about making a new game, let alone add actual next gen visuals… that would have been a little too difficult!

Whew! So proud of what this team has accomplished without having to work hard for it or do anything even remotely noteworthy to the game justifying the $70 price tag.

So sad to see all the negative reactions on social media, I have no clue why everyone isn’t falling for our claims that this is a built from the ground up PS5 experience and yet we couldn’t even incorporate a PS4 feature like prone/dodge because that would have required crunch and our studio no longer allows it!

Thank you Jason Schreier 🙏

Last edited:

Stooky

What about the dodge? Does it break the game too lol?
it would.
lol just saw your edit and realized that I had just recorded a clip of me blowing up some clickers in TLOU2 because of the amazing gore in this game.

It's a BS excuse from yet another ND dev who is simply detached from their fanbase. They are no longer the A tier studio who would have never settled for less and defend their B effort. I remember them saying they were their own biggest critics, and now this guy is saying that the spaces werent big enough? Well then make them bigger since this is a fucking REMAKE, no?

Regardless, im playing through TLOU2 right now and while the levels are definitely bigger, a lot of fights still take place indoors where prone, dodge and enhanced melee does not break the game. He's just talking nonsense just like that dev who was proud to not have crunched on the game and claimed this was the same quality as TLOU2. They actually believe their own bs.

You've obviuosly never made a game. Damn some of these comments. You can't just throw a new gameplay feature in. Background layout and combat design go hand in hand. New animations would need to be added to player as well as all the enemies, redesigned enemy encounters, the background layout design would need to be changed, how the camera moves needs to be changed, it multiplies exponentially. To add dodge and prone most of the combat spaces would need to be larger. At that point it wouldn't be TLOU. ND wanted to stay true to the OG.

Last edited:

In TLOU II’s environments there’s actually things to prone underneath. Stop talking out of your unwashed ass.

Last edited:
Guys we didn’t crunch!

It was amazing! Two year vacation layering on TLOU2 textures and character models and importing the AI and calling it a day! So glad we didn’t have to worry about making a new game, let alone add actual next gen visuals… that would have been a little too difficult!

Whew! So proud of what this team has accomplished without having to work hard for it or do anything even remotely noteworthy to the game justifying the $70 price tag.

So sad to see all the negative reactions on social media, I have no clue why everyone isn’t falling for our claims that this is a built from the ground up PS5 experience and yet we couldn’t even incorporate a PS4 feature like prone/dodge because that would have required crunch and our studio no longer allows it!

Thank you Jason Schreier 🙏

In summary lol. Furthermore 'AI improvements' so far has 0 examples AFAIK. And no I don't expect it to be substantial, otherwise they'd naturally give examples.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You've obviuosly never made a game. Damn some of these comments. You can't just throw a new gameplay feature in. Background layout and combat design go hand in hand. New animations would need to be added to player as well as all the enemies, redesigned enemy encounters, the background layout design would need to be changed, how the camera moves needs to be changed, it multiplies exponentially.

You just described a made from the ground up remake.

Last edited:

Stooky

You just explained a made from the ground up remake.
uhhh no you're choosing what remake means to you. It can mean remade graphics and or gameplay. I could say better AI falls in the in the gameplay category without getting to far away from the OG.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Except max payne 3.

A nicely placed nailbomb is where it's at. You can save time, ammo and health/healing items big time if you play your cards right. I can't wait to play this again with the updates.
Day 1 and Grounded diff. I know this game like it was an extension of myself. So, it'll be worth finding out if they changed a lot with how the game works (Gameplay; Combat primarily)

I'm so excited to play this, but I am waiting for the PC version and that might take awhile. I do have it on PS4, but I kind of wish I had a Pro, at least... =/
Maybe go through it with RCPS3 @4k/60fps again, since my PS4 is put away.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
uhhh no you're choosing what remake means to you. It can mean remade graphics and or gameplay. I can say better AI falls in the in the gameplay category without getting to far away from the OG.

They should be honest and clear from the start to set the right expectations. I said it before, it's a huge marketing failure. If they would start the conversion by saying that it's a faithful recreation that focuses on preserving the original game's gameplay, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Instead they said that it's build from the ground up with enhanced gameplay and exploration and allowed people imagination to run wild.

I'm just poking fun at ND, I will buy it the same day it lands on PC.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

The Last of Us Part II has a lot of foliage and that's where people typically use the prone mechanic.

Now you wouldn't prone indoors (The area in which you are at) because that's where most infected enemies are and the mechanic is useless against them. The prone mechanic is mostly really effective in high grass areas because (1) enemy AI can see you crouching in grass and (2) enemy AI has to get very close to see you in the prone position. Since The Last of Us Part doesn't have a lot of foliage areas, it would be practically useless throughout your playthrough.

Dodge mechanic would be easier, but it's not just a simple copy and paste script. I think this is just a design choice. They want to update existing mechanics without making it play similar to The Last of Us Part II.

They should be honest and clear from the start to set the right expectations. I said it before, it's a huge marketing failure. If they would start the conversion by saying that it's a faithful recreation that focuses on preserving the original game's gameplay, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Instead they said that it's build from the ground up with enhanced gameplay and exploration and allowed people imagination to run wild.

I'm just poke fun at ND, I will buy it the same day it lands on PC.
The AI has been updated this at it's core will change (not entirely obviously) how the game plays compared to Part 1. The exploration thing has me a little baffled as it implied larger environments than before but that's not the case unfortunately.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The AI has been updated this at it's core will change (not entirely obviously) how the game plays compared to Part 1. The exploration thing has me a little baffled as it implied larger environments than before but that's not the case unfortunately.

Level design in the original game aged badly. It's extremely linear and artificial feeling. There's no reason to explore. Second game was a huge step up in this regard. I'm playing TLOU1 right now and the most interesting thing I've found so far is a chocolate bar at the end of fire escape stairs. It's super bad and quite often items are placed in nonsensical places.

ZywyPL

Banned
This would run on a fat PS4 no problem just at a lower framerate, without all the DualSense crap obviously and of course the physcal version would ship with 2 discs like TLoU2.

The inproved AI, animations and destructive environment might be too mich for PS4's CPU to swallow. But yeah, purely graphics-wise it's just TLoU2.

Stooky

I'm just poke fun at ND, I will buy it the same day it lands on PC.
From what I've seen its people expectations running wild. Did ND promise something? Why do people think it would have dodge and prone?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Perfect summary. It’ll still be a great game, since the original is great, but they started out letting people dream about a proper remake made from the ground up taking advantage of the new console with gameplay improved from what they learned making Part 2.

I do wonder if the PC version is the reason for the high price, they don’t release PC versions of their old games at a lower price. Would be weird to sell if for $30 on console and full price on PC.

Stooky

Perfect summary. It’ll still be a great game, since the original is great, but they started out letting people dream about a proper remake made from the ground up taking advantage of the new console with gameplay improved from what they learned making Part 2.

I do wonder if the PC version is the reason for the high price, they don’t release PC versions of their old games at a lower price. Would be weird to sell if for $30 on console and full price on PC.
So ND is responsible for peoples dreams.........
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

I get it. Every year I dream of an iPhone with usb C because Apple promises new better features. Obviously usb C is a new and better feature.......Prepare to be disappointed many times in life young lad.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Guess I’m the only one who feels this way, but the eyes are completely off for the age. In the original they are perfect.

It’s like they’re attempting to superimpose adult eyes onto a child’s face. Children’s eyes don’t look like that, not because of traumatic experiences, but because the bone structure of the skull’s development which is still forming doesn’t afford such room.

It looks eerily off to me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nope wrong. They can push high rez un filtered (less mipmaped) textures on PS5. In others words higher detail all around. Think blu ray vs 4k blu ray. That kind of detail would be hard to see in a compressed video.
Nevertheless from these screens the difference is minimal if not inexistent unless you (not you) have momma sony goggles.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So ND is responsible for peoples dreams.........

No. But they could have chosen better words to describe the scope of the project than this:

"all the combat is redone"
"everything we've learned on Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II we applied to this"
"effects, exploration, and combat have all been enhanced"
"it’s a complete overhaul"

If you go to the original thread created when the game leaked you will see a lot of the most die-hard Sony fans falling for this trap and letting their imagination run wild.

Stooky

No. But they could have chosen better words to describe the scope of the project than this:

"all the combat is redone"
It is with improved AI. Which means enemy encounters would have to be re scripted from the ground up. If the remake gets the enemy search AI from from TLOU 2. that would make it a new experience.
"everything we've learned on Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II we applied to this"
Graphics alone make this true
"effects, exploration, and combat have all been enhanced"
You can see the improved effects in the trailer, the rest you won't know until you play the game
"it’s a complete overhaul"

If you go to the original thread created when the game leaked you will see a lot of the most die-hard Sony fans falling for this trap and letting their imagination run wild.
You won't know any of this until you play the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom