• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Part II Remaster likely in Development based on ND Lead Outsourced Artist LinkedIn Profile

JMZ555

I wouldn't mind a updated native PS5 part 2. Its not going to be a full on remake or anything crazy, i fancy a replay so will look forward to it.
I loved factions multiplayer and was super hyped for next one and I have def been on the side of let them cook.
But Naughty dog will need to at least address what is going on with the game soon and at least before game awards.
Worse case wouldn't be for them to say its been canned, worse would be for them to just show a bit of concept art and say further updates next year again.

Eiknarf

They kinda need to make a native PS5 version of Part 2.

The PS5 Part 1 remake has awesome trigger effects and haptic feedback. So now when you play Part 1 then play Part 2, it feels like Part 2 is a downgrade. It just does.

Gonna sell my PS4 Part 2 next week in anticipation of a native PS5 remaster of Part 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Comandr

So many vehemently negative responses to this. It's baffling to me. TLOU2 was in my opinion one of those late gen games that was too big for its britches. I felt the same about Shadow of the Colossus. TLOU2 was an amazing advancement over 1 in detail and scope, but chained to a 1.84TF system. It absolutely deserves to be brushed up with higher res textures and increased detail for a rerelease. Especially because that's invariably going to be the edition we get on PC. Capitalizing on the current momentum from the HBO show, it just makes so much sense.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’ll be $80 and nobody will bat an eye. Double dippers will make for the majority of sales. Many of them will be triple dippers when the PC version drops.

But when another company remasters their actually old games which are effectively locked onto old hardware and not retro compatible and sell them at $60, somehow that’s highway robbery and brainless fanboys buying everything they’re fed.

I get both sides of the argument here.

On one hand, Naughty Dog hasn't put out an original title on PS5 yet and one hasn't even been announced let alone revealed in 3+ years. And they're spending all of their time pushing out remasters, remakes, and ports.

On the other hand, Naughty Dog is Sony's biggest studio and is actively seeking to bring their franchises to a larger community.

If you look at Uncharted 1, it's borderline unplayable right now, which is why Naughty Dog had to start with a port of Uncharted 4/LL to PC. Had they done a PS4 remaster, they could have maybe ported that to PS5 and PC, which would have been more appealing to new fans coming from seeing the movie.

The same people complaining about this also complained about TLOUP1 which did very well with the release of the TV show, proving there was merit in them doing it. Season 2 is coming out, so obviously they want to be prepared to release a port/remaster in line with that, which is probably why they're pulling people from the multiplayer game.

I also get that the multiplayer game turning into a GaaS game also doesn't sit well with people, but that's simply a path Sony has to take in this day and age. Naughty Dog games take way too long to develop, they don't reutilize assets for new games as much as Insomniac, Santa Monica, and Guerrilla Games.

A successful port/remaster of TLOU2 could help fund the studio for some time with minimal effort, while they work on a slew of other titles that they're not ready to announce yet.

I do think if they were more open with what they're working on they would regain goodwill from many, but is that worth the cost of increased pressure to release a game/announce a release date and crunch towards it? The crunch was one of the biggest criticisms Naughty Dog faced on their last major game, obviously, they're taking those concerns seriously.

I think the fact that Insomniac has to use a CG trailer to advertise their game that releases in 2 weeks is indicative of the fact that this game doesn't reach the heights people are looking for on PS5 like a Naughty Dog game would.

When you consider a transmedia strategy, live service strategy, and multiplatform strategy, Naughty Dog is doing the right things.

This is being worked on alongside TLOU 3 - both will sell well despite the gnashing of teeth here.

Damnit ND, stop being successful with this series that has a clear strong interesting and toss it aside for something different for the sake of being different.

Phase

So many vehemently negative responses to this. It's baffling to me. TLOU2 was in my opinion one of those late gen games that was too big for its britches. I felt the same about Shadow of the Colossus. TLOU2 was an amazing advancement over 1 in detail and scope, but chained to a 1.84TF system. It absolutely deserves to be brushed up with higher res textures and increased detail for a rerelease. Especially because that's invariably going to be the edition we get on PC. Capitalizing on the current momentum from the HBO show, it just makes so much sense.
Because many of us want new ideas over anything else at this point. It's a creative desert where we see a mirage once in a blue moon. I barely play any AAA games anymore, and I still want to but I'm done playing the same games with a different skin. More remakes and remasters? Nah bro, come up with someone new for the love of god.

The game was released in 2020. Assuming this comes out in 2025, that's 5 years.

Think people are hard-pressed to suggest that releasing this on PC and PS5 maybe in a state that more similarly matches the 2018 E3 trailer, is actually a bad thing.

So it's not just haptics, but improved visuals and fidelity, potentially AI, some smoothed out gameplay, probably borrowing from elements added from TLOU Online.

In line with the transmedia marketing, this makes the most sense and you really can't argue otherwise.

Bartski

Gold Member
People who claim this game can’t be improved much on tech side are either just shitposting or lack basic imagination.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Naughty Dog releases the PS4 Pro port on PC.

"This is just a lazy port with no enhancements. They didn't bother added new features that were in Last of US Part 1."

Naughty Dog Remasters the game

"They're creatively bankrupt. This is just a waste of resources. The PS4 version is good enough."

Comandr

Because many of us want new ideas over anything else at this point. It's a creative desert where we see a mirage once in a blue moon. I barely play any AAA games anymore, and I still want to but I'm done playing the same games with a different skin. More remakes and remasters? Nah bro, come up with someone new for the love of god.
But they are working on a completely new game. It's not like the whole of ND is working on the remaster. It probably doesn't take more than a small team of a dozen or less to do this.

squarealex

The PS5 Part 1 remake has awesome trigger effects and haptic feedback. So now when you play Part 1 then play Part 2, it feels like Part 2 is a downgrade. It just does.

Only for controller... because for me, Part 2 is another better level technical (large area, detal, better animation, better facial animation etc...) from Part 1 and it's only a PS4 games.

Last edited:

Phase

But they are working on a completely new game. It's not like the whole of ND is working on the remaster. It probably doesn't take more than a small team of a dozen or less to do this.
I'm sure we'll see the slop they're currently working on given time. How much you wanna bet it's nothing original? These big studios NEED to start having multiple small projects going to take some risks on new ideas. The whole industry is stagnating and has been for years, in large part because they put all their eggs in a couple baskets and then ride them until they're nothing left.

Last edited:
I really liked TLOU2, but if this is legitimate imo we really don’t need this especially since the game isn’t that old at all and still looks impressive. Maybe, maybe this would be somewhat more acceptable if they added A LOT of extras, but I doubt they will. Guessing the success of the TV series had something to do with this if legitimate. Sure, it’s most likely coming to PC and this is the basically the direct port, but this still seems like a bit much right after TLOU remake.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm sure we'll see the slop they're currently working on given time. How much you wanna bet it's nothing original? These big studios NEED to start having multiple small projects going to take some risks on new ideas. The whole industry is stagnating and has been for years, in large part because they put all their eggs in a couple baskets and then ride them until they're nothing left.

They're rumored to be working on a new IP and Last of Us Part III. The small projects will only slow down the production of their bigger releases. Small titles are a niche that will not even make a dent in the industry.

Phase

They're rumored to be working on a new IP and Last of Us Part III. The small projects will only slow down the production of their bigger releases. Small titles are a niche that will not even make a dent in the industry.
So you want more of the same? More stagnation and more milking? Sounds great. You can have multiple side projects going at the same time as large ones in these massive studios. It wouldn't slow down anyone, and it would allow for some risk taking on novel ideas alongside the big IP's.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So you want more of the same? More stagnation and more milking? Sounds great. You can have multiple side projects going at the same time as large ones in these massive studios. It wouldn't slow down anyone, and it would allow for some risk taking on novel ideas alongside the big IP's.
I want Last of Us Part III and a new IP.

A new IP and Last of Us Part III aren't the same. Remasters are just optional choices for gamers and let's not pretend like they haven't been doing this for years.

Jak and Daxter Collection - HD Remaster
Last of Us Remaster
Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3)
Legacy of Thieves Collection
Last of Us Part I
Now Last of Us Part II Remaster

A new IP is always a risk, an even bigger risk than those smaller niche titles. Tose cartoony games don't generally sell well from PS first-party titles and that's why they're not a big focus on them.

LakeOf9

I love TLOU2 but I'm not sure it really needs a remaster, it's still gorgeous looking. But if this means a PC port too, I'd be down.

I really like this game and I still don't care. I've beaten it three times already and it looks and plays smooth as hell already. The fact they're not just releasing an update patch for current gen but instead milking another bullshit "re-something" release is silly to me.

kiphalfton

naw it's just a wack character with a forced story, and even worse she kills off a character most people really liked.

I don't get the hate towards Abby, but I also don't get how people give Ellie a pass.

In any case somebody was going to come after Joel eventually, for killing off however many people. We just got who we got, that being Abby.

But it's the same shit with The Walking Dead, where everybody loves Darrel and Rick, but they're literally doing what everybody else is doing (i.e. kill or be killed).

zeldaring

Banned
I don't get the hate towards Abby, but I also don't get how people give Ellie a pass.

In any case somebody was going to come after Joel eventually, for killing off however many people. We just got who we got, that being Abby.

But it's the same shit with The Walking Dead, where everybody loves Darrel and Rick, but they're literally doing what everybody else is doing (i.e. kill or be killed).
I mean it was way too early for joel to go considering how great he was, maybe by the end of the third game. it took many seasons in walking dead to kill off main characters joel being killed early game is like rick getting killed by season 2 and replaced by chyna from wwe. They just they wanted to push the agenda like because ellie being a lesbian is not enough we need a woman with a man's body to kill joel and then you have the trans kid like for fucks sake.

I completed TLOU on PS3, currently playing it on PC and its so good.

I did have a PS4 when TLOU2 came out, however i knew i wanted to wait for the PC release.
Yeah I just finished it myself. TLOU looked gorgeous on PC and it played seamlessly.

StueyDuck

Now I know we as gamerz are meant to be mad and rise up and fling our feces at the walls etc.

But it being called remastered makes me think this is gonna be a minimal job. Upres, 60fps, its big push is probably for PC mainly... I don't feel like this is really gonna be the main focus for even 2% of naughty dog overall if that is the case.

We'll see though 🤷‍♂️. Either way I'm not gonna buy it, I'll wait for their next actual big project.

Top Bottom