• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

Tf do you want RT for? 😂
Game already looks amazing, RT is t going to magically improve the graphics, all it would do is hamper performance. Pointless…
RT makes it look even better and more realistic even if it's the console lower quality rt. Because it's a payed, upgrade they better put in the work. For a tenner I will get it. But in no rush to replay. Did so already couple of months back. Don't think it was a necessary remaster but it is what it is.

I just realized TLOU has more remastered versions than original games. How the fuck is this even possible lol?

Was about to say this as well, it’s quite ridiculous how far ND have fallen, half way through the Gen we get 2 remasters and no sign of a new game.

Can’t complain about the price as it’s $10, but there’s nothing really interesting going on with them for the foreseeable future.

Moses85

Yeah Part 1 was basically getting it up to using TLOU2's assets at 4K high quality setting.

Part 2 is just using TLOU2's base and getting it up to 4K high quality setting.

The difference is pretty tangible. TLOU2 looked a lot softer than Part 1.
Looks darker an minimal crisper.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF by MOODMAN

Isn't he the one who killed only likeable character in entire franchise.

And made all females not only ugly but dumb as well.

And now conveniently shifting blame on Sweet Baby Inc.

Yeah man, real scared what he does next.

Of course you are becuase the game doing well is going to bother you.

Just don't do anything crazy when it comes out.

Your fear keeps getting worse.

Last edited:
I fully expected this would be a retail priced game (like Part 1), so the $10 upgrade is very welcome news. I wouldn't have double dipped at full price, but for ten bucks? Let's go.
Agreed. I would not have bought at full price, but a $10 upgrade fee for a remaster and a rogue-like mode makes this an easy buy, in my opinion.

Sony should really encourage more quick and easy $10 remasters for their first party games, especially considering how slow new game development has been this generation.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
wtf? just like no man’s sky , cyber punk was a unfinished mess when it came out. you do remember they removed it form the playstation store because so many people wanted refunds. the had to fix the game so that they could sell it. your revisionist history is a joke.

Game is in excellent state ever since 1.5 version (PS5 release), everything after that is a nice, free bonus. If Cyberpunk triggers you so much, replace it with The Witcher 3 free next gen update. It’s even from the same developer.

Man people in this Thread complaining about a $10 upgrade make me want to purchase the WLF version just out of spite, and God only knows how much I hated this fucking game..
All the more ridiculous considering the game received a free 60fps upgrade already.

New mode sounds great, it's going to be super fun with this game's combat and it could and imo totally should replace that resource/talent pit of Factions 2.

Lost Levels also sound interesting, was hoping for them to be integrated into the game but it's actually no big deal as my Grounded run already lasted 100 hours in the original.
Not even sure I want to replay the actual game but I'll try the new content no doubt.

This game only really needed LOD improvements to fix the 60fps Patch issues, and they apparently did that along with other minor things here and there:

hzjKI8p.gif

A complete "Remaster" with new assets/lighting/textures would only destroy the meticulously crafted visuals/aesthetic. Game already looks like this ffs:

JQVNPzs.png

m6RhqF4.png

aVRdfKc.png

x7ywkGk.png

gTFIfY6.png

K7hiIuC.png

XQsPTQk.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

m17gmdK.png

bbF6iOo.png

bMNvtWX.png

EWT1zFC.png

N2b4G9A.png

nUBbcRE.png

CvyAMwY.png

Loved to see a mention of improved shadows for instance, those PCSS in the Part I Remake were the most welcome improvement over Part II.
These screens are more impressive than 80% of everything I played on ps5 do far. It’s incredible what they managed to do with a ps4 tbh

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Honestly is this all Naughty dog have been doing for the past 4 years? I absolutely LOVE the studio and TLOU franchise but couldn't they have spent all this time with Part 3, a new entry in the Uncharted series or a new IP? Already put 60 hours into TLOU2 and got the platinum, I'm already burned out on these old games give us something new.
Come on man. There’s a thread on the very first page of this forum that’s says this is a side project made entirely by new hires. Druckmanns team is working on an original game.

These things take time. Is only been 3 tears since tlou2 lmao. It took SSM 5 years to make Ragnarok, a derivative last gen sequel. They’ve made nothing but god of war ever. Where was the outrage? Why is it only for ND?

They are making new games. This is bonus content. Y’all are being ridiculous lol

Last edited:
So this gen is basically a repainting of old gens? I was just thinking about whether or not this generation has been a success up to this point? How many games do we have this generation-only that are notable enough to make it worthwhile?

Stooky

Game is in excellent state ever since 1.5 version (PS5 release), everything after that is a nice, free bonus. If Cyberpunk triggers you so much, replace it with The Witcher 3 free next gen update. It’s even from the same developer.
cyber punk doesn’t trigger me. 1.5 should have been the version they released with. it should be free because 2 years after launch they finally delivered the game they promised. just like no man’s sky. you are triggering me because you are acting like this is project red being altruistic. they had to do it because ppl were talking about suing them, ppl were returning the game, and the launch was so bad sony dropped the game from the store.

SteadyEvo

The most unnecessary remaster in gaming history. I’ll replay it again. And don’t wanna see any of this shit released again on PS6.

The way TLOU is being pushed 3 must be around the corner

Eiknarf

Man people in this Thread complaining about a $10 upgrade make me want to purchase the WLF version just out of spite, and God only knows how much I hated this fucking game..
All the more ridiculous considering the game received a free 60fps upgrade already.

New mode sounds great, it's going to be super fun with this game's combat and it could and imo totally should replace that resource/talent pit of Factions 2.

Lost Levels also sound interesting, was hoping for them to be integrated into the game but it's actually no big deal as my Grounded run already lasted 100 hours in the original.
Not even sure I want to replay the actual game but I'll try the new content no doubt.

This game only really needed LOD improvements to fix the 60fps Patch issues, and they apparently did that along with other minor things here and there:

hzjKI8p.gif

A complete "Remaster" with new assets/lighting/textures would only destroy the meticulously crafted visuals/aesthetic. Game already looks like this ffs:

JQVNPzs.png

m6RhqF4.png

aVRdfKc.png

x7ywkGk.png

gTFIfY6.png

K7hiIuC.png

XQsPTQk.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

m17gmdK.png

bbF6iOo.png

bMNvtWX.png

EWT1zFC.png

N2b4G9A.png

nUBbcRE.png

CvyAMwY.png

Loved to see a mention of improved shadows for instance, those PCSS in the Part I Remake were the most welcome improvement over Part II.
I sold my PS4 version yesterday on purpose because I’d rather have a genuine native PS5 disc for no other reason than to be a completionist. I don’t even wanna use the PS4 version as a “key” even though it’ll only cost me $10. It’s not about the money-
I’d rather the actual PS5 disc.

Last edited:

april6e

The Roguelike mode has me extremely interested but after the crapshow which was the first game's remake, I'll get it on PC a year after release.

WoJ

I don't mind the 10 dollar upgrade since they're adding extra stuff beyond graphics. But I don't know if I'll get it either way. Also I'd rather see Naughty Dog roll out a new IP.

Three

Milking your fans to the enth degree, that's how
Milking fans to the Nth degree with a $10 upgrade? Its the opposite, it's because they haven't released many sequels over the decade.

TLOU, remaster, remake
TLOU2, remaster

Now do $70 Resident evils, SoTC, or Modern warfare remasters and remakes and whatever you do don't look at the $50 constant rereleases of Skyrim over a similar timeframe. Skyrim, Special edition, very special edition, anniversary...
A $10 remaster is hardly "milking the fans" in comparison.

Eiknarf

Milking fans to the Nth degree with a $10 upgrade? Its the opposite, it's because they haven't released many sequels over the decade.

TLOU, remaster, remake
TLOU2, remaster

Now do $70 Resident evils, SoTC, or Modern warfare remasters and remakes and whatever you do don't look at the $50 constant rereleases of Skyrim over a similar timeframe. Skyrim, Special edition, very special edition, anniversary...
A $10 remaster is hardly "milking the fans" in comparison.
Will this be a full price ($70) game, new?

Seeing as you can buy the PS4 version new for $20 at Walmart and other places, then add the upgrade for $10, that gives it a $30 value

I could see this being maybe $50 new digitally at the PS STORE or on disc

Last edited:

Three

Will this be a full price ($70) game, new?

Seeing as you can buy the PS4 version new for $20 at Walmart and other places, then add the upgrade for $10, that gives it a $30 value
I'm not sure what the RRP will be for the remaster but if you're a 'fan' then you own the game. If you're new to TLOU then you can buy the game now for $20 then get a $10 upgrade come January.

Edit: just saw your edit and your previous post about wanting a PS5 disc. Yeah I'd imagine it will be $50 without the upgrade path if Legacy of Thieves is anything to go by.

Last edited:

skit_data

Surprised there's so much fuzz about this and the upgrade path.
To me it's better than what we had earlier gens. We had separate versions for PS3 and PS4 with no discount upgrading from the last gen version.
GoW 3 PS4 version for example.

I'll gladly pay €10 for the upgrade for the survival mode and dualsense upgrades alone, and I'm a fucking student atm. I'll just eat one less pizza this month or buy 1-2 less beers when going to a bar. No biggie.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, guess it's cool people can stop speculating.

I won't be bothering - I thought the original release was junk. Not because it was "woke" or anything like that - the underlying gameplay was clunky and the level design was abysmal. It failed completely as a video game. But it is pretty.

skneogaf

I messed up real bad when part 1 got released on ps5 as I tried my best to wait for the pc version but I gave in and paid full price, even though I already owned the remastered version.

I just didn't want to buy it again on pc full price as I'd be doing a disservice to gamers around the world.

But as a $10 upgrade I will definitely be buying this and will be very happy to buy it on pc in the distant future when it's on sale.

In other kind of related business, I can't believe how good the last of us part 1 ooks on a 4090 at 8k maximum settings dlss quality (so around 5k)..

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I sold my PS4 version yesterday on purpose because I’d rather have a genuine native PS5 disc for no other reason than to be a completionist. I don’t even wanna use the PS4 version as a “key” even though it’ll only cost me $10. It’s not about the money-
I’d rather the actual PS5 disc.

If you’re a “completionist” , shouldn’t you keep your PS4 disc to, you know, keep your collection complete?

KillaJamm

Come on man. There’s a thread on the very first page of this forum that’s says this is a side project made entirely by new hires. Druckmanns team is working on an original game.

These things take time. Is only been 3 tears since tlou2 lmao. It took SSM 5 years to make Ragnarok, a derivative last gen sequel. They’ve made nothing but god of war ever. Where was the outrage? Why is it only for ND?

They are making new games. This is bonus content. Y’all are being ridiculous lol
Ngl I wasn't aware that they had confirmed they was working on a new IP so that's good, I'm just fed up on games being remastered that don't even need it. Get everyone working on the new project, no one was asking for this. At least they are offering a decent upgrade path I guess.

VulcanRaven

Ngl I wasn't aware that they had confirmed they was working on a new IP so that's good, I'm just fed up on games being remastered that don't even need it. Get everyone working on the new project, no one was asking for this. At least they are offering a decent upgrade path I guess.
I don't think it has been confirmed.

Go_Ly_Dow

Will give this a pass like the TLOU1 remake, as no desire to revisit the story and characters when there are so many new great games releasing. TLOU3 would have my interest but not these pointless cash grabs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom