• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

GymWolf

I think the game would need to have a lot of extra content to justify a full price tag. Either a small fractions mode or story DLC with the usual visual enhancements and added features that were in Last of Us Part I.

What I hoped for a year ago was that this would be a 39.99 game with early access + beta version of Fractions 2.
Dude it's factions not fractions.

This is not math school :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There’s already a 60 fps patch for PS5. This will be 10 USD with dualsense features, 3D audio and a native 4K mode with unlocked VRR support. Think Death stranding for PS5. It will have better textures here and there and faster loadings. It’s what it is.

As a first party studio, they should offer this 100% for free for people who already own the game.

As a first party studio, they should offer this 100% for free for people who already own the game.

I don't think upgrades beyond the brute force of a console should be assumed as a free upgrade.

I do think there should be an upgrade path for those who have already bought the game and the game hasn't been remastered or remade.

What defines a remaster becomes a fine line.

Dead Space -- Full price no upgrade path
FF7 Remake - Full price no upgrade path
Persona 5 Royale PS5 Edition - Should have had an update path
Persona 5 Royale PS4 Edition - Should have had an update path
Ghost of Tsushima - Directors Cut - Should have an update path

Remasters of games from the previous generation when the current generation is backward compatible is a bit suspect.

I'd expect that if filming starts in January we're looking at a summer release in 2025.

Would be a bit surprised to see TLOUP2 PS5 release so much earlier, but if Sony doesn't have much else it might make sense. Also makes sense that the game was ready with the expectation that the show would have started filming this summer.

That would have put the tv show as a late 2024 release. With the PC version coming out late 2024 and the game coming out spring or summer 2024.

We're probably looking at a March or April release date.

Ellery

I think the game would need to have a lot of extra content to justify a full price tag. Either a small fractions mode or story DLC with the usual visual enhancements and added features that were in Last of Us Part I.

What I hoped for a year ago was that this would be a 39.99 game with early access + beta version of Fractions 2.

Would love to see some sort of extra content too. No matter whether it is Ellie, Joel, or Abby.

Obviously I would prefer Younger Ellie + Joel (like in the Birthday Gift chapter), but I am down for any extra content.

I think it is super unlikely though :(

ShakenG

There’s already a 60 fps patch for PS5. This will be 10 USD with dualsense features, 3D audio and a native 4K mode with unlocked VRR support. Think Death stranding for PS5. It will have better textures here and there and faster loadings. It’s what it is.
Yeah, basically what i was thinking. Pretty much giving it some future proof settings. Some visuals tweaks.

Would be a surprise to everyone if it was a free upgarde so i wouldn't get ya hopes up.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No. It should not be free. Devs spent their time on that and should be compensated.

What there should be is an upgrade path for previous owners if they want to upgrade for additional features.

I don’t remember paying for Cyberpunk 2.0 or implementation of new technologies like path tracing in that game.

I guess PC gamers are wired differently. I can’t imagine paying monthly for basic ass features like cloud saves. Or online play.

But it’s okay, get your wallet ready. 😘

kaizenkko

And if they have work on some aspects of the game to "fix" some complaints? Also, I don't think it's impossible to see new content. Dina face actor recently have post a picture that suggest she is doing new footage for a TLOU game. Everyone had think it's TLOU3, but if it's just new content for TLOU2? Maybe a prequel for TLOU3? And they can put Factions thing in it.

Bartski

Gold Member
ND at VGA: know I promissed news on TLOU MP this year and I have none but I do have something else for ya

Ellery

I don’t remember paying for Cyberpunk 2.0 or implementation of new technologies like path tracing in that game.

I guess PC gamers are wired differently. I can’t imagine paying monthly for basic ass features like cloud saves. Or online play.

TLOU2 did release in a perfect state.

This is an extremely dishonest comparison on your end and you know it.

Cyberpunk released in a piss-poor state, they're flooding money into the game to repair their reputation.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
TLOU2 did release in a perfect state.

This is an extremely dishonest comparison on your end and you know it.

Cyberpunk released in a piss-poor state, they're flooding money into the game to repair their reputation.

Cyberpunk is in acceptable state ever since the current-gen version dropped (1.5?). Everything else is an extra.

But this is Sony we're talking about, they only care about preserving their games if there's an extra money on the table. Random guy in his basement is doing more work in this area by releasing patches for Drive Club or Bloodborne.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't think upgrades beyond the brute force of a console should be assumed as a free upgrade.

I do think there should be an upgrade path for those who have already bought the game and the game hasn't been remastered or remade.

What defines a remaster becomes a fine line.

Dead Space -- Full price no upgrade path
FF7 Remake - Full price no upgrade path
Persona 5 Royale PS5 Edition - Should have had an update path
Persona 5 Royale PS4 Edition - Should have had an update path
Ghost of Tsushima - Directors Cut - Should have an update path

Remasters of games from the previous generation when the current generation is backward compatible is a bit suspect.

If they are adding asset density, new effects, extra geometry I think that's a fair enough cost justification.

3d sound, vrr and haptic triggers are not justification for a paid upgrade imo. They are not applicable to all players. And I think it's disgusting if they bundle the 'brute force' enhancements into that bundle to effectively force players into buying what should be free (e.g. 4k/60, texture improvements).

All speculation for now anyway, let's see what happens.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Because Cyberpunk 1.0 was a broken, unfinished game for which CDPR had to apologize for lying and falsifying marketing and forcing reviewers not to talk about the shit they just released? 😄

Were they supposed to charge extra for fixing their game? 😄

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Because Cyberpunk 1.0 was a broken, unfinished game for which CDPR had to apologize for lying and falsifying marketing and forcing reviewers not to talk about the shit they just released? 😄

Were they supposed to charge extra for fixing their game? 😄

Cyberpunk is in acceptable state ever since the current-gen version dropped (1.5?). Everything else is an extra.

But this is Sony we're talking about, they only care about preserving their games if there's an extra money on the table. Random guy in his basement is doing more work in this area by releasing patches for Drive Club or Bloodborne.

It’s just one example. Games are getting free upgrades, new modes and support for new hardware all the time. All. The. Time.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And if they have work on some aspects of the game to "fix" some complaints? Also, I don't think it's impossible to see new content. Dina face actor recently have post a picture that suggest she is doing new footage for a TLOU game. Everyone had think it's TLOU3, but if it's just new content for TLOU2? Maybe a prequel for TLOU3? And they can put Factions thing in it.
May not be entirely new content, but could be new (minor) features. For example, you can find Gustavo (the musician of TLOU) sitting in Jackson in TLOU 2. In the PS5 version, you can apparently go to him, and a button prompt will appear. You can then ask him to play songs.

Now ... if there is a bundled DLC (ala Left Behind), then that changes things!

Why are people even debating the subject of free upgrades for Sony games on PS5 in the year of 2023? They haven't done free PS5 upgrades since the Horizon Forbidden West debacle.

It was €10 for Uncharted Legacy of Thieves, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and all the other recent cross-gen releases (GoW:R, GT7) and it will be the same with this TLOU 2 PS5 at the very least.

One of the most pointless updates I've ever heard of. The game has a 60fps patch for PS5 and looks fucking amazing.
You don’t even know what they added though.
Let’s hope they didn’t cave in the hate and changed the ending or Abby parts
They won’t lmao
So it’s 3 years into this generation and all that naughty dog has done is 2 remakes? Great studio.
By this time last gen you had a remaster and a full game. Now you have 2 remakes and Factions which was supposed to be announced this year and it wasn’t because of something Naughty Dog themselves couldn’t control.

Yall are doing what you did with the first game. Calling this not needed yet it will be all over the charts three times: once when its released and the other 2 times when the tv show airs both seasons based on this game. It’s also a way to keep the team busy when another game is in preproduction.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s just one example. Games are getting free upgrades, new modes and support for new hardware all the time. All. The. Time.
If a studio gives it away for free, that's great. But that's a bonus. We're not entitled to get things for free.

If somebody works on something, they deserve to be compensated for that. How much we -- you and I -- would be willing to work for free in our offices? We expect to be compensated.

At the end of the day, it's all optional. If somebody doesn't think the upgrade is worth $10, they can skip it. If somebody thinks the upgrade is worth $10, they can get it. But to think that the upgrade is worth enough that we must get it, but we also mustn't pay for it, that is not good for the industry.

Business

One of the most pointless updates I've ever heard of. The game has a 60fps patch for PS5 and looks fucking amazing.

ND is aimless, they must have a few employees that don't have much in their hands and they have to do something, so that's an easy one to keep people busy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yall are doing what you did with the first game. Calling this not needed yet it will be all over the charts three times: once when its released and the other 2 times when the tv show airs both seasons based on this game. It’s also a way to keep the team busy when another game is in preproduction.
This.

I don't know why there is this compulsive need for some to feel edgy and be contrarians, only to look stupid in the end.
  • "TLOU P1 Remake is not needed." It's all over the sale charts lol
  • "Who asked for a Gran Turismo 7 movie?" Becomes a hit and pushes GT 7 sales even moe.
  • "Who asked for a Twisted Metal show?" Turns out to be pretty good and revitalizes the interest in a dormant franchise.
  • "PS Portal is so stupid and not needed." It's out of stock within hours and with overwhelmingly positive reviews.
  • "TLOU P2 Remaster is not needed." -- it'll also sell bonkers and synergize with Season 02.
All this is optional. You're not forced to buy it. If you think it's worthless, good for you. You don't have to buy it, and you wouldn't lose out on anything.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If a studio gives it away for free, that's great. But that's a bonus. We're not entitled to get things for free.

If somebody works on something, they deserve to be compensated for that. How much we -- you and I -- would be willing to work for free in our offices? We expect to be compensated.

At the end of the day, it's all optional. If somebody doesn't think the upgrade is worth $10, they can skip it. If somebody thinks the upgrade is worth $10, they can get it. But to think that the upgrade is worth enough that we must get it, but we also mustn't pay for it, that is not good for the industry.

No, I wouldn't work for free. Not for a second. I have my own business and my own customers. I develop and sell business and productivity apps in SaaS model. There are more important things than nickel and dimming your customers out of 10 bucks (fucking lol) for basic improvements and small new features. Good PR and loyal customer base is more important than few bucks here and now. But anyway, like you've said: it's up to customers to decide. But if there are millions of people willing to pay for cloud saved, I wouldn't be shocked if this paid upgrade is a smashing success.

Markio128

Considering the first game received the full price remake treatment, I expect the same for the sequel. TLOU2 is already a stunning looking game, so it’ll be interesting to see what visual improvements they add.

Woody337

You don’t even know what they added though.

They won’t lmao

By this time last gen you had a remaster and a full game. Now you have 2 remakes and Factions which was supposed to be announced this year and it wasn’t because of something Naughty Dog themselves couldn’t control.

It will be all over the charts because there isnt anything else to play. People are hungry and all we are getting are leftovers

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It will be all over the charts because there isnt anything else to play. People are hungry and all we are getting are leftovers
  • Spider-Man 2 just released, on the back of MLB, Horizon Burning Shores, Destiny Lightfall, and Final Fantasy 16.
  • Then the dozens of amazing third-party games this year: Hogwart's Legacy, Alan Wake 2, Lies of P, Baldur's Gate 3, CP 2077 Phantom Liberty, etc.
  • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and Helldivers are also lined up for release in February.
There is literally way too much to play right now. I bet none of us would have even played 30% of the games released this year on PlayStation.

I thought it was strange that the PlayStation 4 version never officially dropped below $39.99 a year ago and that's still the price on the PlayStation store.

Something tells me that they never dropped it below $39.99 because they were going to release the PS5 version at a higher price point.

We very well may see a full priced game.
There was a long stretch where it went on sale at many places, physical and digital, for $10 to $15 in the last two years. That's how I finally played it earlier this year. Bought a physical copy from Sony Direct for $10.

As to this upgrade and my willingness to buy it, I was not inclined at all to buy TLOU1 for PS5, since I had played the PS4 version 7 or 8 times and had no interest in replaying at the time for $70 and I feel the same way about TLOU2 because as good as the game played, I cannot sit through that nonsensical, plot hole ridden story and listen to all those shitty, horrible, plot armored covered characters have their inane dialogue back and forth again.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There was a long stretch where it went on sale at many places, physical and digital, for $10 to $15 in the last two years. That's how I finally played it earlier this year. Bought a physical copy from Sony Direct for $10.

As to this upgrade and my willingness to buy it, I was not inclined at all to buy TLOU1 for PS5, since I had played the PS4 version 7 or 8 times and had no interest in replaying at the time for $70 and I feel the same way about TLOU2 because as good as the game played, I cannot sit through that nonsensical, plot hole ridden story and listen to all those shitty, horrible, plot armored covered characters have their inane dialogue back and forth again.
I can play it again easily. One of the best video game stories out there.

Top Bottom