• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lead up to PS5 & Series X has been very lackluster.

Jakk

Agree 100%. I'm still excited about next-gen, but their "marketing" is really killing the hype. Yes, I know this year has been terrible, but I still think they could have done much more. Microsoft's events were just awful, Sony hasn't even shown the console physically. Also, where is the PS5 UI? How does the pandemic prevent them from making a 5 minute demo showcasing the new UI? Where is the promised teardown video? It's 3 months until release and we don't even know the price, I think that's ridiculous.

mcmanic

I agree, the worst lineup ever for both consoles and my 1st time i will probably not buy a launch machine since the birth of console gaming. There is just nothing except for R&C that has me interested for launch

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Arun1910

100% agree with this. I think Covid screwed a lot of things up when it comes to announcements for the games/console/pricing etc.

That said, both companies are just being stingy with info, my hype is no where near as high as it was for the PS4/Xbox One release.

molly14

Its like covid hasnt exsisted to the op.

They have even said because of covid,they havent been able to set-up demo booths to show the console's off etc.Maybe lots of staff have been self-isolating for months like in other companies.

Need to engage your brain before you post next time.

BootsLoader

Banned
Another day another thread I guess? Anyway.
I will totally buy a PS5 no matter what happens etc, but....to be honest this is the worst console gen transition I ever had. The hype died, they need to drop megatons to get me excited/hyped again.

sublimit

Banned
I'm currently just focusing on my backlog and the stuff that i have and i'm having a great time. I'm trying to forget that a next gen is (suppossedly) coming.

I have enough games that i haven't even touched to last me a lifetime. Unfortunatelly for them i have no problem playing and enjoying games from previous generations going back until the PS1 and N64. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: If Sony and MS wants us to wait i have no problem showing them what REAL waiting is. I can easily wait until 2022 and just ignore all their pointless next gen noise in the meantime.

Last edited:

Jakk

They have even said because of covid,they havent been able to set-up demo booths to show the console's off etc.Maybe lots of staff have been self-isolating for months like in other companies.

No one is saying they should have set up demo booths. Guess you should also try to engage your brain and actually read what people are saying before posting.

I would not be surprised to find out that the consoles are pushed back, maybe even to next year's holiday period (at most), but MS's console sales are almost nil, they need the boost of a new release much more than Sony does.

I also don't think Sony is as bad as MS so far, but we have not seen a critical mass (However the new CoD game looks pretty neat compared to last gen's transition game that featured the dog).

ultrazilla

Well I've read all the crazy rumors like all of you, it appears the next two weeks are the "sweet spot" for PS5 announcements(pre-orders go live, pricing, release date).
So sometime between September 7-September 18, 2020 chances are we'll finally get the answers we've been wanting.

tenor.gif

Xbox Series X? I still think MS delays it until next year.

• Thoughtful

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm sure I'm not the only feeling rather dissatisfied with the way Sony & Microsoft have been promoting the PS5 & Series X.
Despite a few interesting announcements here and there. even with all of the this hype about the switch to SSD and increased teraflops, I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

Sony's and Microsoft's insistence on playing chicken and waiting to see who will first officially reveal the price and release date of their respective consoles has reach obnoxious levels.
Sony in particular is the greater offender here. Still no word on what the new PS5 OS looks like nor any hands-on demos for any of the new OS features in action.

Beyond that it's really the surprising lack of gameplay for next gen titles that has bothered me the most.
PS5 is releasing in 2.5 months from now with Spiderman Miles Morales supposedly a launch game, yet as of this post we have even literally zero actual gameplay for it. That's a bit ridiculous, no?
With nothing more than "release windows" for the rest of PS5's catalogue.

Demon's Souls-No gameplay demo or release date.
GT7- A minute long gamely teaser with no release date.
R&C Rift Apart-Showed off the same gameplay demo since June with no release date
Horizon Forbidden West- No gameplay or release date.
Returnal- Shockingly we've seen a decent chunk of gameplay, but no release date.

Halo Infinite- A cross-gen title, has gotten a much needed indefinite delay. Which means the Series X won't be launching with any next-gen exclusives for at least another year or so.
Hellblade 2- No gameplay or release date.
Fable- No gameplay or release date
Avowed- No gameplay or release date.
Everwild- No gameplay or release date. Developers aren't event sure what the game will play like yet.
As Dusk Falls- Not even sure what I saw was even indicative of the gameplay experience, also no release date.
Forza- No gameplay or release date.

I'm sorry but is this the film industry or the video game industry? I can't really tell with over abundance of cinematic trailers and lack of gameplay for video games.

The majority of the offerings with pending release dates are 3rd party cross-gen titles that will also be releasing on PC at some point.
After Nvidia's recent RTX 30XX GPU line, PC will arguably be the most ideal platform to experience those titles anyway.

It feels like Sony or Microsoft are hardly even trying to sell me on their next-gen consoles & software line ups.
I've gotten so tired of reading blurb after after blurb from random developers about features and how game changing they are.
I just want to see the power of these next-gen hardware shown, not told.

Extensive gameplay trailers.
Hands on OS demos
Release Dates & prices.

2.5 months out and it doesn't even feel like next-gen is upon us. Whatever Anticipation I felt back in June has fizzled out with this drip feed news cycle.

Like others have noted, covid impacted getting demos/gameplay from builds. And like others patience is a virtue.

You will have one of the best launch year for playstation. First year is insanely stacked with first/third party exclusives.

Wait till you see exclusive eastern developed games. Covid impacted them more so.

I dont get the comparison to nvidia ??

Nvidia is literally launching their new gpus in 3 weeks.if sony and ms don't announce price and release date 3 weeks before launch then sure I get the concerns

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Lol, no. Power means nothing if you're not going to have the 1:1 experience your going to get on consoles with instant loading, instant game switching.

Also you will not have all the quality first party Sony has.
Sure but innovation from nVidia brough a shitton of feature, from RTX-gen. It's not just powerfull GPU, it just have a shitton of features, which is useful for other things. I think you can have instant switching if you have a lot of RAM and well instant loading, we still not see any console in action tothe full potential (that XSX demo with game switching does not count, because those games are not programmed with fast I/O in mind, most likely they are not using API for that)

For the record, I am buying both consoles, but I am more then impressed and felt biggest hype from nVidia keynote.

Ten_Fold

No E3 really killed the crazy hype. That’s usually when both companies throw everything and every shot they can to win over the masses.

• Thoughtful

Malakhov

Banned
It is pretty disappointing, if it wasn't for the ps4 backlog I have I wouldn't even bother picking a ps5 at launch

I think you're misunderstanding me lol. I didn't say PS5 & XBSX suck. I'm talking specifically about the severe lack of gameplay and info for consoles that are 2.5 months out from launch.

This is what you said: I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

I interpret this as you are reluctant about purchasing because you haven't been marketed to enough to your satisfaction. Or are you just complaining?

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah.
Like 1:1 experiences like 120fps, dlss, better filtering, real 4k, mods...

Find me a PC developed title with character models and animation on par with Sony's best? I'll wait.......

You wont not even cyberpunk which looks really good, is on par with Sony's first party developers when it comes to facial, mo-cap, hand animated characters.

In term of ray tracing and pixels, frame rate, you are totally right.

It's why I game all my third party games on PC.

But it's going to be a while till you see alot of pc games targeting NVME's first and showing those features within their game design.

Sony and Microsoft to some extent have it baked into the console hardware, more so on Sony. Which is why we actually saw I/O and ssd differences in ratchet. And that will continue with all their first party titles.

If frame rate and pixel density is all you care about, then yea what NVIDIA showed is huge.

I was very impressed with how much more these new cards are doing.

But at the end of the day it all depends on how developers use all that power.

Dnice1

I think for both companies, but especially Microsoft, no news is good news. As soon as they announce something it gets picked apart and twisted by their opposition's respective fan bases. Besides I like when the work weeks go by and we don't hear announcements yet, because that means their employees are busy working on getting things done and don't have time to talk. Hopefully that leads to a well planned launch for both.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think for both companies, but especially Microsoft, no news is good news. As soon as they announce something it gets picked apart and twisted by their opposition's respective fan bases. Besides I like when the work weeks go by and we don't hear announcements yet, because that means their employees are busy working on getting things done and don't have time to talk. Hopefully that leads to a well planned launch for both.

Microsoft gets picked apart because of how they handled this past gen. And how they like to over-promise as is currently and under-deliver. Sony has set no grand expectations, they just say what they are doing, then execute it. They are not hyping PS5 up as being the most powerful console, they are not hyping up a bunch of studio acquisitions, they just do a blog post about it and move on.

They let the games//features talk for them. And that is what Microsoft needs to do. Tell Phil and Arron Greenberg to stfu and let the games/services talk for them.

But because they were behind in development and COVID hit them much harder than most game companies because of how they are setup, they are scrambling to try and get something together. I really hope they have a event in September that blows peoples socks off. I really do, because if they dont, then it's going to be a good while till be see something tangible from their new studio/projects.

And it will show that they really were not ready and were trying to sell you on the whole power narrative +gamepass to turn your attention away from issues within the studio management

Sony it literally just humming along, showing deep dives into games that look very far along, and look like a generation ahead of PS4 like they should.

So expectations are met in that respect.

Microsoft can't even show you third party games running on a series X.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Find me a PC developed title with character models and animation on par with Sony's best? I'll wait.......

Character models and animation? That's an odd request. Games don't need to have top notch character models and animation in order to be fun.

You wont not even cyberpunk which looks really good, is on par with Sony's first party developers when it comes to facial, mo-cap, hand animated characters.

So Cyberpunk is already inferior because it doesn't have facial capture like TLOU2? Because all other Sony games don't have that kind of facial capture etc.. either.

But it's going to be a while till you see alot of pc games targeting NVME's first and showing those features within their game design.

We can wait on that. Right now people want better graphics and that's already out and will be shown more in the coming weeks.

If frame rate and pixel density is all you care about, then yea what NVIDIA showed is huge.

Most people are going to care about that. It's what they've been caring about for all the generations before this one.

mortal

Medium, scorn, Falconeer and couple more all are next gen console exclusives available day one for xbsex and we have seen some gameplay from all.

on ps5 we have seen Kena(this is cross gen), astrobot, bugsnax and couple more gameplay and I think these are ps5 console launch exclusives.

don’t get me wrong this year console launch lineups looks very weak for both ps5 and xbsex, but there were some games shown with gameplays that will be available on day 1

Falconer looks looks interesting enough, but it's a cross-gen title. Nothing about it looks worth investing in a brand new console.
The Series X port of Scorn looks nice visually, and we've already seen plenty of gameplay for it over the years.
Medium looks pretty good. Although it's also another 3rd party title releasing on PC as well.

Kena is a timed 3rd party exclusive, and cross-gen. Also releasing on PC. Like what I've seen so far, hope to see more gameplay soon.
Astrobot is coming preinstalled with the PS5 lol, it'll be a short game demoing the PS5 & DualSense features.
Bugsnax is cross-gen, also releasing on PC and even MacOS. I mean come on lol.

Again, the majority of the offerings are cross-gen 3rd party titles that will also be on PC.

I dont get the comparison to nvidia ??

Nvidia is literally launching their new gpus in 3 weeks.if sony and ms don't announce price and release date 3 weeks before launch then sure I get the concerns
I mentioned Nvidia because they presented a very compelling argument and value for PC gaming going into next-gen.
We also have prices, release dates, & and concrete info for RTX 30XX cards.

The majority of the titles we've seen thus far are either cross-gen or timed console exclusive releasing day & day on PC.
PC just looks like a better investment at this point.

As much as I want more info it's not a problem, still a way to go until November
Not really lol.

Looks like someone is a smart ass that hasn't read my posts ITT. Need to engage your brain before you post next time.

Microsoft & Sony have committed to launching in 2020 on multiple occasions despite the influence of the covid situation.
I'm making my judgements based on their decisions, especially when they'll be charging a premium for their hardware.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's kinda crazy that we don't even have a launch lineup that is set in stone because we don't really have a release date beyond "maybe November".

Like I can't find a list that says "okay here's all the games available on November 15 (or whatever date) and no others".

Paracelsus

ctrl + f "elect"
The release is the same month as the US elections, there's going to be unrest no matter who wins.
Can you imagine Sony releasing the highly anticipated PS5 during black friday only 24 days after the elections?
Imagine a civil war being started over a console.

• Thoughtful

zettacroix

Neo Member
There were never replay that many killer launch titles on any platform, yet I also would've preferred at least one first party game.

mortal

Like others have noted, covid impacted getting demos/gameplay from builds. And like others patience is a virtue.

You will have one of the best launch year for playstation. First year is insanely stacked with first/third party exclusives.

Wait till you see exclusive eastern developed games. Covid impacted them more so.
Covid withstanding, both Sony & Microsoft had the opportunity and time to present their next-gen offerings how they wanted directly to audiences online, no middle man.

2.5 months out from launch and we haven't even seen anyone with an actual physical PS5.
No tech break down, no hands-on OS demo, no word on backwards compatibility and which titles will be available by launch or years one.
Microsoft are lacking with their software line up, but I'll give them credit for being more transparent in that regard at the very least.

Nothing I've seen thus far is really showcasing this will be one of the best launch years for PlayStation. The lack of gameplay and release dates is showing me the opposite.
I wouldn't even surprised if some of titles with 2021 release windows get delayed. Not like it hasn't happened before.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I certainly can feel the frustration that’s going around. I finished most games that were in the spotlight for PS4. There was a time when the PS3 didn’t have much except TLoU to play. I was in the same boat. I beat the games I wanted to play and a generational leap was ahead of us. So I played on my PC. I’ve enjoyed my PS4 more because there’s been a lot of great games that I’ll go back to (RE, horror, action, etc). I think about the next couple months and you have fall’s titles like AC, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, and etc with PS5 versions. I want Call of Duty, but $70 for a cross gen copy doesn’t make sense?

I want Cold War, but what if I get a launch PS5? Do I need it on PS4? Do they expect you to play on both consoles? I can preorder PS5 games that are cross gen on Amazon.

It’s actually better than last gen because people can stay up to speed with big game titles. But we don’t have any news about preorders or what to expect. I’m sure it’s going to be the same method of putting in a game and playing it. It’s just not a lot of info and current gen is still holding strong. PS4 isn’t over with yet.

Sony apparently will have event in first half of September so I'm waiting for that. If they still don't show more I'll start to panic ;)

Rockman33

I think the biggest problem with Xbox is the way they went about their reveals. They used the drip feed. Little bit here and there. If they would have combined all their coverage into 2 big ass reveals I feel people would have been more satisfied.
Combining the console reveal with the specs would have been great.
Combining the best games from their 3rd party reveal with their best 1st party showcase also could have been a great show. (Although the halo reveal was very underwhelming no matter when they showed it).

JLB

Banned

In term of ray tracing and pixels, frame rate, you are totally right.

It's why I game all my third party games on PC.

Sony and Microsoft to some extent have it baked into the console hardware, more so on Sony. Which is why we actually saw I/O and ssd differences in ratchet. And that will continue with all their first party titles.

I was very impressed with how much more these new cards are doing.

But at the end of the day it all depends on how developers use all that power.

its so easy to spot someone that is plain trolling and/or dont have a decent PC these days.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm sure I'm not the only feeling rather dissatisfied with the way Sony & Microsoft have been promoting the PS5 & Series X.
Despite a few interesting announcements here and there. even with all of the this hype about the switch to SSD and increased teraflops, I'm not feeling captivated and excited to jump into next gen whatsoever, and I really wanted to.

Sony's and Microsoft's insistence on playing chicken and waiting to see who will first officially reveal the price and release date of their respective consoles has reach obnoxious levels.
Sony in particular is the greater offender here. Still no word on what the new PS5 OS looks like nor any hands-on demos for any of the new OS features in action.

Beyond that it's really the surprising lack of gameplay for next gen titles that has bothered me the most.
PS5 is releasing in 2.5 months from now with Spiderman Miles Morales supposedly a launch game, yet as of this post we have even literally zero actual gameplay for it. That's a bit ridiculous, no?
With nothing more than "release windows" for the rest of PS5's catalogue.

Demon's Souls-No gameplay demo or release date.
GT7- A minute long gamely teaser with no release date.
R&C Rift Apart-Showed off the same gameplay demo since June with no release date
Horizon Forbidden West- No gameplay or release date.
Returnal- Shockingly we've seen a decent chunk of gameplay, but no release date.

Halo Infinite- A cross-gen title, has gotten a much needed indefinite delay. Which means the Series X won't be launching with any next-gen exclusives for at least another year or so.
Hellblade 2- No gameplay or release date.
Fable- No gameplay or release date
Avowed- No gameplay or release date.
Everwild- No gameplay or release date. Developers aren't event sure what the game will play like yet.
As Dusk Falls- Not even sure what I saw was even indicative of the gameplay experience, also no release date.
Forza- No gameplay or release date.

I'm sorry but is this the film industry or the video game industry? I can't really tell with over abundance of cinematic trailers and lack of gameplay for video games.

The majority of the offerings with pending release dates are 3rd party cross-gen titles that will also be releasing on PC at some point.
After Nvidia's recent RTX 30XX GPU line, PC will arguably be the most ideal platform to experience those titles anyway.

It feels like Sony or Microsoft are hardly even trying to sell me on their next-gen consoles & software line ups.
I've gotten so tired of reading blurb after after blurb from random developers about features and how game changing they are.
I just want to see the power of these next-gen hardware shown, not told.

Extensive gameplay trailers.
Hands on OS demos
Release Dates & prices.

2.5 months out and it doesn't even feel like next-gen is upon us. Whatever Anticipation I felt back in June has fizzled out with this drip feed news cycle.
Yeah I agree.

To me maybe some of the non-excitement comes from not having a proper E3. It's as if every step of the way is a non-event. There is no electricity in the air. And the assets of the systems themselves haven't been that impressive, either.

I know we have two brand new consoles coming out very soon, but somehow... it feels like air.. like there is nothing actually happening.

Papacheeks

Banned
its so easy to spot someone that is plain trolling and/or dont have a decent PC these days.

Would you like pics?

x1600
b350
Radeon 7

Literally playing Modern warfare on PC right now.

It's easy to spot people who have no clue wtf they are talking about.

Last edited:
I have to agree and idk how much of an effect COVID had on it. Like ok, maybe Halo Infinite would have been ready otherwise, but that seems a lot more like a shit management job by 343i rather than COVID. Maybe on PS5, Ratchet would have been a launch title. Either of those games being there day one would certainly ratchet (LOLOLOL) hype up a notch or two, but neither console really has anything at launch that seems mind blowing. But to be fair, what exactly did Xbone or PS4 have? Jack shit. I started with Xbone because I knew Titanfall was coming four or five months from launch. That was a "wow" game for me. Nothing I have seen on PS5 is a "wow" game, and nothing on XSX either. Halo with an open world structure would have been, but irrelevant now as it's not out any time soon.

At least what next gen has going for it is a very very strong lineup of third party games. We're gonna get an Ass Creed that should be way better than the Ass Creed this gen launched with. IIRC CoD Ghosts launched with this gen and it was doodoo. If MW is any indication, the campaign of Black Ops should be much much better. We'll get a new Far Cry right after launch. We're going to get Cyberpunk. There is a new Watch Dogs. There will be Dirt 5. There's lots of great third party games.

Beyond those games it's all a matter of opinion and personal hype. I'm very invested in the Xbox ecosystem, and I have been avoiding playing games that I knew were getting XSX upgrades. So I never played beyond the first two levels of Gears 5. I never played any end game content for Gears Tactics. I started a new play through for Witcher 3 but have now stopped. I quit playing Horizon 4 to wait for an XSX upgrade. So at least at launch I'll basically have three new games to play in the two Gears titles and Forza, idk when the Witcher 3 free upgrade is coming.

This new gen more than any other seems more about convenience and new ways for games to be designed than it does about huge graphics upgrades. I think this is made worse by the mid gen console refreshes. So I think it's only natural to feel a little unimpressed with what we've seen, considering we haven't seen much, and nothing we've seen seems to be utilizing much of the SSD and I/O tech, those games will come later.

Top Bottom