• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Put some blue fire in a bottle and use it to melt the red ice.
Thanks mate! I always get stuck during some easy stupid stuff in Zelda games :p

edit, when am I getting the rupees limit increase? Stuck at 99 forever and yet I keep collecting money everywhere I go :/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey Zelda-GAF something I'm not quiet clear on. I know it was talked about for the 3ds remake that they might do a new OST for OOT 3d. Maybe even a redone soundtrack orchestrated style. Now supposedly this didn't happen correct, but we got one redone song thrown in? Does that mean the soundtrack is the direct N64 soundtrack or is it remastered midi tracks?

I swear the tunes sound wayyyy better than on the N64, but that could just be the fact that the 3d sound hardware is waaayyy better than the N64. The soundtrack itself could be exactly the same. If you had me guess though I swear things sound remastered even if they still sound like midi.

Hey Zelda-GAF something I'm not quiet clear on. I know it was talked about for the 3ds remake that they might do a new OST for OOT 3d. Maybe even a redone soundtrack orchestrated style. Now supposedly this didn't happen correct, but we got one redone song thrown in? Does that mean the soundtrack is the direct N64 soundtrack or is it remastered midi tracks?

I swear the tunes sound wayyyy better than on the N64, but that could just be the fact that the 3d sound hardware is waaayyy better than the N64. The soundtrack itself could be exactly the same. If you had me guess though I swear things sound remastered even if they still sound like midi.

IIRC from the Iwata Asks on the game they had to re-record the music to get the timing of it synced up with the new visuals. Also the individual who was doing the music for the game was doing completely new music until Kondo sent him to his naughty place and insisted that they retain the original music [correctly, in my opinion] hence we got one new piece of music only.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/0

Well worth a read :).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
IIRC from the Iwata Asks on the game they had to re-record the music to get the timing of it synced up with the new visuals. Also the individual who was doing the music for the game was doing completely new music until Kondo sent him to his naughty place and insisted that they retain the original music [correctly, in my opinion] hence we got one new piece of music only.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/0

Well worth a read :).

Hey awesome! Thanks for that link! I'll read it later when I get back for sure!

Guys, I need a little help here : I've been stuck in Temple of Fire for so long I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't break the game...

In a nutshell, I'm able to access the big room with the cubes that move on the lava, I went to the room with the flying tiles, to the room with the emprisonned goron (which gave me a key), to the big room on the left when you come from the entrance of the dungeon (the one with the boss' door) and to the room with the central lava stream (where you have to climb on the fence and then push the block in order to access the superior level). The problem is, I don't have any keys left, and I can't open the door in the superior level, and I've been trying to explore every inch of what's accessible to me, but I didn't find anything...

Finally playing this. I always liked OoT okay, but it was never really my favorite. But I'm really enjoying the 3DS version. It's breathed new life into the game and it's giving me nostalgia I didn't know I had for Ocarina.

On a random note, Ruto's new model is a little more... modest than it used to be, huh.

Guys, I need a little help here : I've been stuck in Temple of Fire for so long I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't break the game...

In a nutshell, I'm able to access the big room with the cubes that move on the lava, I went to the room with the flying tiles, to the room with the emprisonned goron (which gave me a key), to the big room on the left when you come from the entrance of the dungeon (the one with the boss' door) and to the room with the central lava stream (where you have to climb on the fence and then push the block in order to access the superior level). The problem is, I don't have any keys left, and I can't open the door in the superior level, and I've been trying to explore every inch of what's accessible to me, but I didn't find anything...

I'm not 100% sure, but: when you reach the upper level through the block on the lava stream, you'll reach a fairly big room with rolling boulders (I think).
Look for suspicious corners there: some walls can be bombed.
(Also, you can tell breakable walls from normal ones by hitting them with the sword and listening for the sound it makes.)

EDIT: Just realized my mistake.
From the dungeon entrance, the first room on the right (the big room with lots of lava and moving platforms) has doors to two Goron cells:
one to the north (where the time stone is) and one to the south (you'll have to bomb this door open). Both cells contain a key each.

I'm pretty sure you missed the south one. Good luck!

Man, I'm on the Fire Temple, too (just beat it) and this game has really aged well. I truly do appreciate it more now than I did when it came out. The Forest Temple and the Fire Temple, while very basic designs compared to the TP and SS dungeons, are really good. They lead you puzzle to puzzle without you even knowing it. There's no perceivable linearity, and yet you see the boss room right at the beginning of the Fire Temple, then do all kinds of stuff, seemingly on your own, and then there's the "I'll be damned" moment where you drop the pillar, jump down the hole and wind up back at the beginning again, ready to fight.

The newer games totally build on that foundation and are full of that kind of thing, but only after going back do I see how inventive OoT was to introduce it into the Zelda DNA to begin with.

Acid08

Banned
A few hours into this and I am in love. Game is amazing looking and the design still is ridiculous rock solid Zelda.

This is amazing.

Hey, I'm missing one heart piece. I thought it might be the one for catching a 10+ fish as a child, so I went back and sure enough, my record was 9. So I caught a 10, and all I got was rupees. What gives?

Getting a 3DS XL next week and I'm going to make my favourite game of all time my first 3DS game (probably grab Tales of the Abyss aswell while I'm at it). Cant wait!

Darryl

Banned
Getting a 3DS XL next week and I'm going to make my favourite game of all time my first 3DS game (probably grab Tales of the Abyss aswell while I'm at it). Cant wait!

how did you like the 3D effect on the XL? I thought it was very powerful on the regular but it prevented me from keeping it on all the time - probably kept it on about half the time. I haven't even seen an XL in person yet.

how did you like the 3D effect on the XL? I thought it was very powerful on the regular but it prevented me from keeping it on all the time - probably kept it on about half the time. I haven't even seen an XL in person yet.

I thought the 3D was absolutely awesome and pretty much kept it on full the entire time I played it. Could just be me though, the 3D doesnt really hurt my eyes at all.

Jawmuncher

This is my first time actually attempting to beat this game.
Currently I've just beat the Flame Dragon.
Right now im trying to collect the 4th jar.........................................

Fuck those God Damn Poes and having to Shoot them on Horseback.
If it's not me having trouble shotting them, those fuckers only spawn as they are flying into a wall to dissapear. I have 3 jars this 4th might be more trouble than it's worth.

n64coder

I've been playing this game on the Wii VC. I started about 9 months ago and was in the water temple. I just resumed it this past week and man, did I forget everything. I had to consult a walkthrough to refresh my memory.

I got the longshot and now I need to get the Boss key before I complete the dungeon. I found that I had to backtrack to get the Zora tunic to make the game a bit easier since the underwater time limit was kind of annoying.

My kids enjoy watching me play but for some reason, they don't want to play the game themselves (I bought it for their 3DS).

Zing

Banned
I'm just about to start playing this game, but I have questions about the digital manual usually included with every 3DS game.

I noticed that every(?) USA physical version does not have the digital manual on the cart. When game icon is selected on home screen, the only option is "open". However, I watched a YouTube video of the eShop version, and on the home screen, it did have "manual". The EU website has the English digital manual posted, so I know one exists.

Anyone with a physical USA version have the digital manual? Does the eShop version include the manual?

Wolfe

I'm just about to start playing this game, but I have questions about the digital manual usually included with every 3DS game.

I noticed that every(?) USA physical version does not have the digital manual on the cart. When game icon is selected on home screen, the only option is "open". However, I watched a YouTube video of the eShop version, and on the home screen, it did have "manual". The EU website has the English digital manual posted, so I know one exists.

Anyone with a physical USA version have the digital manual? Does the eShop version include the manual?

Just checked my cart and the only options were quit and resume.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Started playing this today and I'm really enjoying it. It's fab.

I completed the N64 version when it first came out. I was expected lots of low rez textures etc... but the graphical improvements they've done to this game is excellent.

I'm also loving the 3D.

Tom_Cody

I've been playing this recently and I've been greatly enjoying my time with it.

I played through the game at the time of its N64 launch but I haven't replayed it completely since then. What a classic this is.

I recently completed the Forest Temple and then the Bottom of the Well. I just sold the Keaton mask and I'm currently debating whether I should roam the world looking for the recipient of the Skull Mask or instead return to the future to conquer the Fire Temple.

A few random comments:

-The music and sounds design are amazing. This is definitely a game to be played with headphones. This blows everything else on the system out of the water.

-I love the feel of the world. It is a pleasure to roam around the overworld on Epona. I didn't get all of the Poes on my original playthrough but I'm definitely looking forward to doing that this time.

Tom_Cody

I doubt anyone will see this, but I am going to post a request for a hint:

Where should I look in order to find the recipient of the Spooky Mask?

I'm not looking for the actual identity of the person, just a point in the right direction so I don't have to talk to everyone in the young world in hopes of running into them.

Prisoner

I doubt anyone will see this, but I am going to post a request for a hint:

Where should I look in order to find the recipient of the Spooky Mask?

I'm not looking for the actual identity of the person, just a point in the right direction so I don't have to talk to everyone in the young world in hopes of running into them.

The clue is in the name; the recipient is found somewhere spooky.

Tom_Cody

Nice! It was exactly where I thought. Once I arrived at
the kid in the graveyard of course he immediately said something about wanting to look spooky and wishing he didn't have a baby face.
I had played through that part of the game a few months ago so I had completely forgotten about that line of dialog.

As for the next (and final) mask, the people in Hyrule castle town give you a clue and I was able to figure it out from that.

Now I can return to the adult world to conquer the Fire Temple without having nagging thoughts about that side quest.

Prisoner

Well done!

Between seeing this thread bumped and Majora's Mask 3D coming soon, I decided to replay Skyward Sword. Enjoying it so far in spite of the intial slog of tutorials and exposition.

thechemist

I am not one for a lot of words, but I completed this today for the first time ever and wow it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in gaming, took 30 hours yet there was no padding, it was just perfect. I now see why so many people consider this one of the best games ever, it must have been mind blowing all those years back.

I loved the Orchestra theme at the end, what a fitting way to end the game.

This was my first Zelda game, looking forwards to Majora's Mask.

Tom_Cody

Could someone give me a non-spoilery primer on catching Poes?

I see them appear occasionally while on horseback but they always disappear before I can shoot them. Is there a map of the routes they appear on within the game? Or any sort of in-game clues as to how to catch them? I never got them when I played through the game originally (in 1998) and, now that I am getting towards the end of this run-through, I want a little guidance on collecting them so I don't end up having to do them in one batch after I've done everything else.

Could someone give me a non-spoilery primer on catching Poes?

I see them appear occasionally while on horseback but they always disappear before I can shoot them. Is there a map of the routes they appear on within the game? Or any sort of in-game clues as to how to catch them? I never got them when I played through the game originally (in 1998) and, now that I am getting towards the end of this run-through, I want a little guidance on collecting them so I don't end up having to do them in one batch after I've done everything else.
They appear in set locations in Hyrule Field when you pass by certain landmarks on horseback. If you pass by the same spot on foot a regular Poe will appear instead. There are 10 in total and nothing in the game tells you where they are so you'll just have to make a mental note whenever you see one appear. The Poe will always appear in front of you when you pass by the certain "spot" that triggers their appearance and will back away from you until it runs into an obstable or wall, or reaches a certain distance. Use this to your advantage and trigger their appearance from an angle that gives you ample space to take them out and no obstacles in the Poe's predicted path. If the Poe escapes you can always try again later in the same spot.

Tom_Cody

Hmm... Thanks.

I'm guessing it will get easier after I get my first one.

There is one I've seen a few times. I'll just have to keep making my way over there on the field until I nail down his spawn point, and then work out the ideal angle of approach.

dedhead54

The shadow temple boss is giving me trouble and is making me quite frustrated.

I know how to stun him, shoot his eye or whatever, and then attack with the sword. But I am having trouble hitting both hands every time with the arrow. And if I miss the second hand I don't have time to get another shot off and it squeezes the shit out of me or knocks me off the drum.

This is the first boss that has given me any trouble whatsoever, and what is really keeping me from going back and finishing is that it takes a long fucking time to get back to the boss if I die. No good shortcut there. It takes like 5 minutes each time. Warping all the way down to where he is doesn't seem to work.

Roto13

I know how to stun him, shoot his eye or whatever, and then attack with the sword. But I am having trouble hitting both hands every time with the arrow. And if I miss the second hand I don't have time to get another shot off and it squeezes the shit out of me or knocks me off the drum.

This is the first boss that has given me any trouble whatsoever, and what is really keeping me from going back and finishing is that it takes a long fucking time to get back to the boss if I die. No good shortcut there. It takes like 5 minutes each time. Warping all the way down to where he is doesn't seem to work.

Are you using targeting?

Tom_Cody

Are you using the hover boots to prevent from bouncing on the surface of the drum? I did this fight a couple months ago (and before that 15 years ago) and my memory is that you have to toggle the boots on and off throught the fight. There might be something else but I don't think so.

Beyond that I will just say that it is a fairly hard fight. I had to make 2-3 attempts at the fight to beat it. Everything will slot into place for you if you try it a few times.

dedhead54

Are you using targeting?

I am. I still miss some. I think what is making me miss is the hands hitting the drum, causing me to bounce.

Are you using the hover boots to prevent from bouncing on the surface of the drum? I did this fight a couple months ago (and before that 15 years ago) and my memory is that you have to toggle the boots on and off throught the fight. There might be something else but I don't think so.

Beyond that I will just say that it is a fairly hard fight. I had to make 2-3 attempts at the fight to beat it. Everything will slot into place for you if you try it a few times.

Man. I haven't tried using the boots to prevent from bouncing around. That's a good call. Like I said, the most frustrating thing to me right now is that it takes almost 5 minutes to get back to the boss from the beginning of the dungeon. I will try again soon.

***EDIT*** Also, out of curiosity... am I starting to near the end of the game after I complete the shadow temple?

Tom_Cody

Man. I haven't tried using the boots to prevent from bouncing around. That's a good call. Like I said, the most frustrating thing to me right now is that it takes almost 5 minutes to get back to the boss from the beginning of the dungeon. I will try again soon.

***EDIT*** Also, out of curiosity... am I starting to near the end of the game after I complete the shadow temple?
Good luck.

To answer very generally, I'd say you're about 80% of the way through the quest at this point.

Roto13

I am. I still miss some. I think what is making me miss is the hands hitting the drum, causing me to bounce.

I don't know what to tell you, then. :p I can't say I've ever had any difficulty hitting the hands. Maybe you're doing something wrong that's not coming across in your post. I guess take a look at a video of someone else doing it and see what's up.

However far you think you are from the end, you're probably right. :p

dedhead54

Not that anyone cares, but I went back with the hover boots and had a much easier time with Bongo Bongo. I did run it down to 0 arrows left by the time I killed him. So rewarding to finish that.

Now here's a question maybe someone can help me with. Should I have the biggoron sword by now? I don't feel I am just rushing through without paying attention to side stuff but I don't recall anything hinting at how to receive this sword.

Tom_Cody

Not that anyone cares, but I went back with the hover boots and had a much easier time with Bongo Bongo. I did run it down to 0 arrows left by the time I killed him. So rewarding to finish that.

Now here's a question maybe someone can help me with. Should I have the biggoron sword by now? I don't feel I am just rushing through without paying attention to side stuff but I don't recall anything hinting at how to receive this sword.
Nice work!

And I don't think you can get the Biggoron sword until you get through the Gerudo Village, but I don't totally remember. I switch from this game to Monster Hunter as soon as it launched and I haven't come back yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nice work!

And I don't think you can get the Biggoron sword until you get through the Gerudo Village, but I don't totally remember. I switch from this game to Monster Hunter as soon as it launched and I haven't come back yet.

No, you can get it very very early. All you need is Epona.

ilium

Got this yesterday, my favorite game as a kid back in '98.
Dungeons are still way to familiar tho so i wanted to do master quest this time.
But i gotta play through it first :(

What's the quickest way to skip the first playthrough to get master quest?
Been trying to do a wrong warp glitch at dodongo's cavern to skip to the credits, but i just can't do it.

bengraven

I need to get this but money is tight. Even digitally it's going to cut $40 out. But thankfully digital prices don't inflate like cards are these days.

DarkFlame

Banned
This game established 3D in the world of games. It's written down in history and is still one of the most memorable and enjoyable adventures gaming has to offer.Damn i love this game

Kozak

Banned
My girlfriend just finished this.

I'm going to do the Master Quest for the first time ever. Keeeen.

I didn't fully appreciate the graphical leap this remake made until Hyrule Castle + Ganandorf at the end.

Running down the falling castle.. gawd damn

jnWake

I recently started it. The graphical upgrade is very noticeable in the textures IMO. They look quite clean (for 3DS standards of course).

Also, the 3D effect in the forest with the particles and stuff is beautiful.

Top Bottom