• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Boney

Banned
I stopped at Gerudo Fortress. That's always been my least favourite part of the game, though. Always get stuck on the last dude.

Me too, there's always the same dude I miss all the time and pass right in front of it.

I did beat MQ though, didn't get all the hearts though

Myriadis

I stopped at Gerudo Fortress. That's always been my least favourite part of the game, though. Always get stuck on the last dude.

Strange, this was one of my favorite parts on my last plathrough. Running around the corners with the Bow drawn, Z-Targeting and blam, a hit from far away. So awesome.

cacophony

So I'm finally beating this after I stopped playing during the Spirit temple boss for some reason.

Anyway, I'm in
Ganon's castle trying to break the spirit barrier and I don't have fire arrows so I'm trying to shoot a regular one through the torch to light the spider web on fire but am having trouble. I know it's possible does anyone know where to angle it or have a video? I don't feel like getting the fire arrows (that would probably be quicker though)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally got more time to play this as I didn't have my consoles at my parents for the holidays. I'm about 8 hours in, how far through the game am I? I just
got through the fire dungeon and got the second out of three stones.

olimpia84

Finally got more time to play this as I didn't have my consoles at my parents for the holidays. I'm about 8 hours in, how far through the game am I? I just

You still have a long way to go. I'd say you are about 15% of the way through.

Roto13

You're not very far at all. Like less than a quarter of the way through the game.

I'd say you probably have like 20 - 25 more hours to go. Depending on if you're going for all the heart containers and other such side quests.

-Stranger-

Still playing this game, this is my 3rd playthrough of Ocarina of Time but i'm finding lots of things i never did the other times.
I'm also trying to complete all the side quest stuff. Nearly got 30 gold skulltulla tokens i've never gotten all of them before.
The graphics are beautifully done, especially the interiors of houses/shops
I just finished Fire Temple, going to try and knock off Water Temple later.
Excellent remake of a true classic.

Strange, this was one of my favorite parts on my last plathrough. Running around the corners with the Bow drawn, Z-Targeting and blam, a hit from far away. So awesome.

I don't particularly dislike it, it's just my least favourite part of the game. It's got some of my favourite music in the series and it's kinda fun to start with, but then after I've rescued a few dudes I get to the last guy and wind up in a cycle of wandering around, getting caught and going to places I've already been.

It's not bad, I'm just not very good at it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Me too, there's always the same dude I miss all the time and pass right in front of it.

I did beat MQ though, didn't get all the hearts though

LOL i was stuck there for a month, finally shelved the game after going circles for AGES and always having to start again from the fucking prison hole after gettin caught. Than picked it up again last week tried it over and over. No luck. So I finally followed a FAQ step by step and DAMN! what the... I was soooo sure I entered that fricken' last door but perspective always messed up my orientation I guess. Also, i always thought the white Gerudo outside at the very end of the fortress was guarding the last door... It was a damn mini-dungeon instead (
ice arrow's trial afaik
) ahah

Btw, are the
ice arrows
absolutely required to beat the game (missed clearing the
Gerudo's trial
and I'd prefer not having to do it now, it's a pain in the ass)?
I'm stuck in the first room of the
desert
Temple, I've got those mouse-bombs but maybe to go forward I need to become
a child
to crawl
in the left side wall's hole
?

mandiller

Btw, are the
ice arrows
absolutely required to beat the game (missed clearing the
Gerudo's trial
and I'd prefer not having to do it now, it's a pain in the ass)?

I'm stuck in the first room of the
desert
Temple, I've got those mouse-bombs but maybe to go forward I need to become
a child
to crawl
in the left side wall's hole
?
No, and yes.

P.s. I just finished the game this week. It was my first time through OOT. It was enjoyable but it took 5 months to pull myself through it after getting stuck one too many times.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
My only real disappointments with the game are the N64-like voice and music samples and the boxy geometry to the levels. Apart from that, most of the faults reside within the original game itself. The first dungeon or two is so simplistic that the only thing that sustains it is the remastered graphics, which actually have the power to surprise and impress. The indoor environments and some of the effects are enough to make everything worth revisiting. And as much as I would've liked them to improve the world's structure, I'm kind of glad that they preserved it. The entire world has the illusion of size, even if, in practice, it's quite small.

How do you guys recommend playing this, would using a guide for somethings dampen the experience? I usually never use guides, but I feel like I am missing things like heart containers and side quests.

AniHawk

How do you guys recommend playing this, would using a guide for somethings dampen the experience? I usually never use guides, but I feel like I am missing things like heart containers and side quests.

this isn't an issue unless you're at the end of the game. i don't think there are any quests that close themselves off to you.

My only real disappointments with the game are the N64-like voice and music samples and the boxy geometry to the levels. Apart from that, most of the faults reside within the original game itself. The first dungeon or two is so simplistic that the only thing that sustains it is the remastered graphics, which actually have the power to surprise and impress. The indoor environments and some of the effects are enough to make everything worth revisiting. And as much as I would've liked them to improve the world's structure, I'm kind of glad that they preserved it. The entire world has the illusion of size, even if, in practice, it's quite small.

The music was re-recorded for this iteration of the game according to the Iwata Asks interview. Or is this not what you meant?

I wish there'd be new audio and old audio

That's not really Nintendo's style though is it? They can be quite prescriptive i.e. we know what's best for you so you are going to play the game like this. The vast majority of the time I don't have a problem with this approach but occasionally I want to throttle them. For example, I despise un-skippable NPC text before I can re-try a mini-game or section. For God's sake make it skippable! If I keep messing up don't make me click A multiple times before I can retry! There was one particular star in SMG2 that I unaccountably had no end of trouble with despite it actually being quite straight forward. Sometimes I think they are sadists!

Edit: I just listened to the new Eurogamer podcast and one of the contributors made the same point about Nintendo 'knowing what's best for you'. Heh.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The music was re-recorded for this iteration of the game according to the Iwata Asks interview. Or is this not what you meant?
I mean that it still sounds heavily synthesized. The voices are the worst aspect. I feel that there is a strong dissonance created between the improved graphics and the outdated sounds. It doesn't make sense to have complete fidelity to one but not the other.

I mean that it still sounds heavily synthesized. The voices are the worst aspect. I feel that there is a strong dissonance created between the improved graphics and the outdated sounds. It doesn't make sense to have complete fidelity to one but not the other.

Oh I see. Well I'm sorry that that was your experience; fortunately for me it wasn't mine. Since I had played the original game [both on N64 and the Wind Waker bonus disc] so much, it just sounded right to me. In fact I enjoyed the improved audio fidelity over the N64 iteration.

I am however excited to see what they will do with a completely new 3DS Zelda, hopefully co-developed with Grezzo again. Although I also want them to give Majora's Mask the same treatment. Both please! :)

corporateslave

Neo Member
All, I'm playing OOT and it keeps freezing. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to reset the system to unlock the 3DS. Seems to happen no matter what I do after a minute or two of gameplay. There isn't much on the net about freezes either. Some folks say closing the system fixes the freeze but in my case that does not work. I only am having this problem with OOT. Devil Survivor overclocked plays perfectly and I just beat that game with no freezes so I am pretty sure its not the 3DS itself that's broken.

Anyone have any fixes or experience with this problem?

addyb

Im ashamed to say this but ive never played this game. When it first came out I was 18-19 years old and during this time was more interested in going out drinking and fooling around. Wife has just sent me a text saying shes got me a 3DS game as an extra xmas pressie and im pretty sure its this as she had been asking me what other games I wanted for the 3DS.

So looking forward to it. Im just concerned that the gameplay might seem dated or have I nothing to worry about? Whats the average completion time with or without side quests etc?

Cant stop playing Zen pinball at present though!!! That game is like crack! :)

All, I'm playing OOT and it keeps freezing. Has anyone else had this problem? I have to reset the system to unlock the 3DS. Seems to happen no matter what I do after a minute or two of gameplay. There isn't much on the net about freezes either. Some folks say closing the system fixes the freeze but in my case that does not work. I only am having this problem with OOT. Devil Survivor overclocked plays perfectly and I just beat that game with no freezes so I am pretty sure its not the 3DS itself that's broken.

Anyone have any fixes or experience with this problem?

Sorry to hear about your problem. Have you tried turning the 3DS completely off, removing the game card and/or SD card, turning the 3DS back on and re-inserting the game card and/or SD card? That seems to be something that has worked for other Gaffers with different issues, if not yours in particular. If not, contact your local Nintendo Service Centre? Google to see if anyone has the same problem with this particular game?

Good luck!

Im ashamed to say this but ive never played this game. When it first came out I was 18-19 years old and during this time was more interested in going out drinking and fooling around. Wife has just sent me a text saying shes got me a 3DS game as an extra xmas pressie and im pretty sure its this as she had been asking me what other games I wanted for the 3DS.

So looking forward to it. Im just concerned that the gameplay might seem dated or have I nothing to worry about? Whats the average completion time with or without side quests etc?

Cant stop playing Zen pinball at present though!!! That game is like crack! :)

I can't say that the gameplay feels dated nowadays but it is difficult to say that authoritatively due to nostalgia goggles. I think it still stands up very well but only time will tell how you take to it. If indeed this is the extra present I hope you enjoy it! :)

In terms of completion time you are looking at a good 30-40 hours probably. You could do it in less time I think if you rushed through it or followed a guide so knew exactly where to go and when. However, I like to savour a Zelda game and take my time with it so your mileage may vary. I have put over 100 hours into this 3DS iteration but that is for playing it from start to finish twice and taking my time with it, doing side quests etc. Hopefully you will enjoy it so much that you won't want to race through it! :)

corporateslave

Neo Member
Hey Woo, I did everything you mentioned and then some. I live in the Philippines so can't really send the game to Nintendo. Unfortunately I think the cart is FUBAR since this issue only happens with OOT. Not sure if I'll buy a replacement or not but thanks for the suggestions.

addyb

Thanks for the info woo. Yep she has indeed bought me it so roll on xmas day night when I can chill once little girl is in bed. Dont know why im worried about it feeling dated. I still play a load of retro games dating back to early eighties. Seems that oot is perfectly suited for the 3DS.
I wont be rushing it thats for sure. Its the kind of game that will probably take me all year to finish as ill no doubt take a break once resi and mgs3 arrive. Really looking forward to those 2 as well. My favourite franchises of all time and think snake eater is the best of the lot.

Certainly is a good time to be a 3DS owner.

Hey Woo, I did everything you mentioned and then some. I live in the Philippines so can't really send the game to Nintendo. Unfortunately I think the cart is FUBAR since this issue only happens with OOT. Not sure if I'll buy a replacement or not but thanks for the suggestions.

Oh I'm so sorry corporateslave. Would there be any point in you raising it with whoever sold it to you? [I've never been to the Philippines so please forgive my ignorance with regard to your local laws and customs] Also, what region of Nintendo do you fall under? Even if they don't have a presence in your region you have nothing to lose from sending them an email, no? If all avenues fail I suggest you hold onto the game anyway as it might just decide to work properly one day. Life can be funny like that! :)

Thanks for the info woo. Yep she has indeed bought me it so roll on xmas day night when I can chill once little girl is in bed. Dont know why im worried about it feeling dated. I still play a load of retro games dating back to early eighties. Seems that oot is perfectly suited for the 3DS.
I wont be rushing it thats for sure. Its the kind of game that will probably take me all year to finish as ill no doubt take a break once resi and mgs3 arrive. Really looking forward to those 2 as well. My favourite franchises of all time and think snake eater is the best of the lot.

Certainly is a good time to be a 3DS owner.

Well that is something nice to look forward to when you are in situ on the sofa, trying to recover from too much Christmas food! :p Hope it meets your expectations, if not exceeds them :). Nice to see you still play retro games. I'm currently playing Mario Vs Donkey Kong due to being an early 3DS adopter. Now, it is hardly retro, but the relatively straight-forward nature of the game that is almost completely about the actual gameplay is something that really appeals to me. Is this why you play retro games or is it for nostalgia?

Finished this on Christmas morning for the 3rd year in the row. Nintendo!! Please port Majora's Mask.

What is the likelihood of that happening?

Got the Limited Zelda Edition 3DS with Ocarina of Time. I remember not liking it at the time, but now I am enjoying it greatly.

Question : is it only me or this game has quite an agressive 3D mode ? I mean, I don't have any problem with MK7 and SM3DL, but with this OOT, if I put the 3D to the max the picture is like triple-layered (I know it's difficult to describe). I have to put it really low to enjoy 3D without having this problem.

QP3

Got the Limited Zelda Edition 3DS with Ocarina of Time. I remember not liking it at the time, but now I am enjoying it greatly.

Question : is it only me or this game has quite an agressive 3D mode ? I mean, I don't have any problem with MK7 and SM3DL, but with this OOT, if I put the 3D to the max the picture is like triple-layered (I know it's difficult to describe). I have to put it really low to enjoy 3D without having this problem.

Yeah I agree. I can't play this with the 3D settings maxed out. I try to keep it on the low level, as I do enjoy the 3D when it's quality and doesn't bother my eyes, but I often times find myself simply turning the 3D off for OoT.

CassSept

Hmm, I came across a bizarre bug at the very end of the game and I don't know what to do.

So, yesterday I had some time to spare so I've decided to pop OoT in and kill Ganon once again, just for the endgame. So i start playing, teleport to Temple of Time, take up Master Sword and head for Ganon's Castle. I enter and bam, can't access the tower in the middle. There is no beam from Forest Temple trial, but when I get to the end of it that structure you have to shoot with Light Arrow simply isn't there. What the hell? Had anyone come across something similar? Or at least heard of it cause I can't even find through google anyone who had this.

[Nintex]

Hmm, I came across a bizarre bug at the very end of the game and I don't know what to do.

So, yesterday I had some time to spare so I've decided to pop OoT in and kill Ganon once again, just for the endgame. So i start playing, teleport to Temple of Time, take up Master Sword and head for Ganon's Castle. I enter and bam, can't access the tower in the middle. There is no beam from Forest Temple trial, but when I get to the end of it that structure you have to shoot with Light Arrow simply isn't there. What the hell? Had anyone come across something similar? Or at least heard of it cause I can't even find through google anyone who had this.

Use the lens of truth?

Maybe you discovered another timeline.

CassSept

[Nintex];33739249 said:
Use the lens of truth?

Maybe you discovered another timeline.

OK nevermind, I'm dumb. I don't know how that happened but I understand where I was wrong. Keep calm and carry on.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The 3D in this game is amazing at places, but the difference between this and Mario Kart is night and day. I can play Mario Kart for hours with the slider full up, but more then an hour or so of OoT gives me a headache.

Top Bottom