• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes |OT| Purple Link just didn't stay fresh enough.

This game made me laugh quite a few times since yesterday.

I just did some runs with the same team and when I said bye one of them grabbed and threw me on top of the tri-force, forcing a new quest to start. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm here for more of this.

ADD ME! 0318-9847-2270 (US)

TheMoon

This game made me laugh quite a few times since yesterday.

I just did some runs with the same team and when I said bye one of them grabbed and threw me on top of the tri-force, forcing a new quest to start. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm here for more of this.

ADD ME! 0318-9847-2270 (US)

That's why the game is actually called Passive Aggressive Heroes.

Anyone have any tips for tackling the *Den of Trials Spoilers*
Baneful Zone? I made it through the rest of the Den of Trials (solo, unfortunately - not in a situation where I can play uninterrupted for long periods), but I am hitting a brick wall against the two dark arealfos. They're either too quick, or I'm hitting them with the wrong powerups.

I've had the most success with the boomerang, but got killed pretty quickly. I tried the bow and got killed even more quickly. Same with the gust jar. I tried using the Goron costume to counter their fire breath and it barely mattered.

I've heard the Hammer costume makes for a pretty powerful weapon, but then the Sword costume gives you double attack damage from the sword, so I'm torn. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

TheMoon

Baneful Zone? I made it through the rest of the Den of Trials (solo, unfortunately - not in a situation where I can play uninterrupted for long periods), but I am hitting a brick wall against the two dark arealfos. They're either too quick, or I'm hitting them with the wrong powerups.

I've had the most success with the boomerang, but got killed pretty quickly. I tried the bow and got killed even more quickly. Same with the gust jar. I tried using the Goron costume to counter their fire breath and it barely mattered.

I've heard the Hammer costume makes for a pretty powerful weapon, but then the Sword costume gives you double attack damage from the sword, so I'm torn. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Go with the sword master costume. I only finished it in co-op but that's how we finally made it past that area. The extra damage helps. Items were useless against them.

also

Banned

Bomb costume is your answer and will also help you with the next floor. Make a tower with bomb Link on top, produce a bomb, hold on to it and stay close to the
flying dark Aeralfoses
. The bomb has a big blast radius and you should be able to damage them fairly consistently after a bit of practice.

This strategy only works in SP because dopels don't take item damage.

Go with the sword master costume. I only finished it in co-op but that's how we finally made it past that area. The extra damage helps. Items were useless against them.
I ended up beating it with the hammer suit. It's totally legit: one-hit kills a bunch of enemies and its stun radius is magnificent. It sounds unattractive, but the suit also seems to speed up the hammer strike animation, which makes energy gauge use and the fact that you need to be on the ground the only real drawbacks.

Bomb costume is your answer and will also help you with the next floor. Make a tower with bomb Link on top, produce a bomb, hold on to it and stay close to the
flying dark Aeralfoses
. The bomb has a big blast radius and you should be able to damage them fairly consistently after a bit of practice.

This strategy only works in SP because dopels don't take item damage.
This is pretty creative and similar to a strategy I was using to cheese kill rooms from ledges in other levels. It never occurred to me to use the doppels that way. I might try that next time I'm grinding rare materials.

I got really lucky with the
Dark Links. They had relatively benign items (grapel /bomb / water rod). I can only imagine the ordeal of having to deal with them using projectile weapons or the Gust jar.

I have already blocked 3 players. D:

This game is full of trolls.
Same. One guy we had to literally carry through a level because he did nothing except grab his item. He wouldn't even move except to run to the treasure chests at the end. Then, when I got the rare item, he had the gall to complain.

Another actively sabotaged the team by picking us up and throwing us into pits. We retaliated by picking him up and forcing him to continue to the triforce gate. Then, when he realised he couldn't troll us that way anymore, he disconnected.

These were people with high end gear too, people who should know better.

Adamator

I've played this game online with random people for 95% of it and have had over all a very good time. The ruins level proved to be quite challenging with people.

Now The only world I have left is Sky, and I am kind of dreading it, wondering if my luck with people will run out. I have not played the world at all by myself, so I will be going in blind.

Anyone still need to finish that world want to play sometime? I'm in California, and usually play in the evening, around 9pm or so.\

Edit: Fears confirmed. Sky World is a nightmare.

I set up this little chat room if anyone wants to play, because randoms can be infuriating.
I'm doing the challenges now, only completed the first world.

webchat.freenode.net/?channels=TriforceHeroes

Regiruler

I was thinking about picking this up since it is Zelda...is anyone still playing it or could recommend it?
I really enjoy it and stuck a lot of time into it, but to be honest I haven't been on it in a month or so, so I can't say what the community is like now.

maxcriden

Already finished it so not playing anymore but yes to the recommendation.

Ditto on Moon's recommend!

Here's my GOTY write-up, where I named it #5:

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; As a massive Zelda fan, I didn't know exactly what to expect from TFH. I've never been super into MP Zelda and I just didn't know how much replayability the dungeons would hold. The answer, honestly, is not that much. Patches have improved this some but the purest experience the game has to offer is when a team of three adventurers totally unfamiliar with what a level has to offer struggle and succeed together. That's a great, great feeling. There are trolls though, and poor connections (maybe my fault at times, I'm honestly unsure), and the loot system while mostly genius is a bit too reliant on replaying levels and if you know the solution to a level and don't have all the time in the world to play games...or honestly even if you do...it's just not that exciting to replay a 2D Zelda level unless you missed some significant area your first time through and that's just not something that's going to happen in this game the way it's structured.

But! "Noooooo!!!" is hilarious. Cheering is hilarious. All the emojis are amazing. Those two are my faves. When teamwork works, it really, really works. The bosses are ridiculously on point and a lot of the levels themselves off new mechanics heretofore unseen in the series as far as I remember. The costumes are super clever and creative and often very cute. No point spoiling any of those here, but I will say that if I jumped into the game again I might consider SP just for my own peace of mind. Because when you get a lot of trolls or bad runs--that coupled with the frustrating voting system with levels--it really feels a bit aggravating. You can tell I'm torn about the game. There's a lot of quality there. I just wish there was a consistently great way to experience it. If you have access to two other people with 3DS's who want to play it with you, that's gotta be the best way to go. I've heard polarizing things about SP but I think I'd consider it before strongly recommending online with randoms, depending on your level of frustration tolerance. Oh, and the OST is supremely awesome.

zelda_tri_force_heroes.gif

AndrewPL

Ditto on Moon's recommend!

Here's my GOTY write-up, where I named it #5:

zelda_tri_force_heroes.gif

Thanks guys. My gut feeling is to wait until my daughter is older (3 now) and to pick up an extra 3ds and 3 copies of the game and play that way.
I was thinking of getting 2 copies and trying to play online but I don't think we'd enjoy dealing with the one random person.

Still something I'm torn on since I do want to experience it one day.

n64coder

Thanks guys. My gut feeling is to wait until my daughter is older (3 now) and to pick up an extra 3ds and 3 copies of the game and play that way.
I was thinking of getting 2 copies and trying to play online but I don't think we'd enjoy dealing with the one random person.

You don't need 3 copies since you can do download play. I've been playing SP mode for the past month and have enjoyed the game. I'm surprised my kids haven't jumped at the opportunity to play with me since they loved the Gamecube Four Swords game.

I haven't played online that much except for the arena version. It was fun and I did have some lag at times.

I traded my Super Smash Bros 3DS game for my co-worker's Triforce Heroes game. It seems like a good deal to me.

n64coder

Almost 2 weeks later and I have to say that I love it. My kids really enjoy it too. I'm getting a couple of co-workers to play with me at lunch time. If it goes well, we might play together a couple times a week.

The solo mode is fun and it's perfect to pick up and play for short bursts of gaming which is about all I can do these days. I'm looking forward to completing the Drablands challenges.

The game is amazing, no doubt. But, why can't I trade? I think this would be good for players like me who don't have the time to grind for new items for costumes. What say you?

A little late in the game with this but can anyone help me beat the den of trials? I've played with randoms up until now and it's becoming more frustrating each and every time. Please PM me your friend code if interested or can help. Thanks!

TheMoon

A little late in the game with this but can anyone help me beat the den of trials? I've played with randoms up until now and it's becoming more frustrating each and every time. Please PM me your friend code if interested or can help. Thanks!

you need to mention your region...

Kebiinu

Banned
Guessing that's a no? I was thinking about jumping in, but I don't want to journey alone. Is the online active at all? It looks fun!

Sorry if this has been asked, but it's a long thread...

How good are these games for single-player? I love 2D Zelda but I never touched the multiplayer titles like "Four Swords" and this one.

Only four swords adventures is even remotely playable alone. Do not buy this game I'd you don't intend to play either locally or online, the game is terrible alone.

-shadow-

Guessing that's a no? I was thinking about jumping in, but I don't want to journey alone. Is the online active at all? It looks fun!
Online still works just fine. There's a chance you'll run into a terrible player however. There's a reason why I stopped playing personally.

The Boat

Only four swords adventures is even remotely playable alone. Do not buy this game I'd you don't intend to play either locally or online, the game is terrible alone.

I actually quite enjoyed playing it by myself too. It's a very different game, heavier with puzzles and fast reaction time.

Regiruler

The game's fine solo as long as you are efficient. It takes a lot of skill to do some of the challenges (although a few of the challenges like the poison safety ring are actually easier because the statues are invincible).

Sakujou

Banned
this game is so amazing with 2 other friends, online this game is unplayable. out of 10 tries only 2 games worked out.

such a gem, sad that online has become unplayable. why are people such assholes?

maxcriden

this game is so amazing with 2 other friends, online this game is unplayable. out of 10 tries only 2 games worked out.

such a gem, sad that online has become unplayable. why are people such assholes?

It was spotty at the beginning and seemed worse a couple months later. Sad to hear it's gotten worse still. Incredible game when it works.

zigg

I put it down a long time ago, primarily because I couldn't find that third. 😢

I wish I could say I'd help you two out—I feel your pain—but I expect it'd be really hard to schedule even if you were in the NA region like me.

Top Bottom