• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

legend166 said:
Also, what's the deal with this P2P client that apparently gets installed on your PC when you download the game?
It's called Pando Media Booster, you clicked the "I Agree" button before the download started that states it's essentially like a bittorrent service for the game files that will continue to run after the game is finished downloading/installing.

Once the game is done installing, just uninstall Pando Media Booster from the Control Panel. Simple.

legend166

Revolutionary said:
It's called Pando Media Booster, you clicked the "I Agree" button before the download started that states it's essentially like a bittorrent service for the game files that will continue to run after the game is finished downloading/installing.

Once the game is done installing, just uninstall Pando Media Booster from the Control Panel. Simple.

Ok, so you can just uninstall. Cool.

Tideas said:
dammit, I want the siege of mirkwood complete edition, but $30 is too much

From what I read you can grind the Turbine points to buy an expansion but from what I hear that takes a lot of time to accomplish. If you look on the LOTRO forums people have some charts on how to earn points. Best advice is to just keep looking for some kind of deal on it.

nataku

I played a bard in the F2P beta for awhile and was really enjoying what I played.

I'm not sure if I'll stick with that class or try something different. I'm interested in the Warden, but have no idea how they play.

ag-my001

nataku said:
I played a bard in the F2P beta for awhile and was really enjoying what I played.

I'm not sure if I'll stick with that class or try something different. I'm interested in the Warden, but have no idea how they play.

The Warden uses what they call the "Gambit System", which is essentially a combo system. You have three basic builders (spear, fist, shield) and when you use them in certain orders, they build a gambit that you can use. For instance, if you use Spear-Shield-Fist-Gambit, you do a move called Power Attack, which deals direct damage and a bleed. Use Sp-Sh-Fi-Sp-Gambit, and you do Mighty Blow, for bigger damage and bleed. Throw one more Shield in for Unerring Strike. Gambits are used for everything from offensive attacks, threat skills, defensive buffs, heals, almost everything except throwing your javelin at a mob. It's complicated, but with enough practice and skill the Warden becomes a soloing god.

Haeleos

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
How accurate is this list? Are the expansions still priced like that? I heard they were supposed to offer a bigger discount when you buy both expansions at the same time. Is anything like that in the live version of the store list? This one is from beta.

The price of the shared storage is 995 so I'm guessing that list is inaccurate.

Tideas said:

You don't need the Siege of Mirkwood content if you're just starting out. Pick up the Mines of Moria box on amazon.com for $8 and you'll get a crapload of good stuff to start out with (Taken from the website: Purchasers of the Mines of Moria™ expansion get access to the Mines of Moria region and content, premium classes (Rune-Keeper and Warden), legendary items feature, Tier 6 crafting feature, 2 extra character slots and a level cap of 60.). You just put the key into your account and you're good to go. Will also come with 1 month of VIP membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FS7FE0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Retro

Spire said:
Brandywine (Official GAF Server)
Spire
KernelPanic
GDGF
bloodydrake
Schrade
Retro
Team Vernia
TimeKillr
centracore​

Ah yeah, probably should have mentioned my character. Level 35 Elf Guardian named Eresia. I'm already in a kinship, but that's no reason we can't play together. Honestly, I'll never understand why MMOs force you into a single guild, you'd think more social connections = more friends you don't want to leave.

ag-my001 said:
[Wardens are] complicated, but with enough practice and skill the Warden becomes a soloing god.

A minor addition; Wardens are also fantastic tanks in a game with only one other designated tanking class (Guardians, of course), so it's much easier to get into a group since you're an essential member.​

hamchan

I'm in Brandywine as Hamchan the Champion Dwarf. Start of the game was pretty cool, I liked that it starts off at the Hobbit.

Dreohboy

You guys are going to make me start a new character on a strange server.

Currently: Andres on Elendilmir

Screw that. I've had one character since launch. No point in starting new on another server.

DiscoJer

Tideas said:

Sheesh, I paid $40 + $40 + $20 for what's in it.

Now I know how people feel when I gripe about the price of GOTY/Gold editions with the DLC are too much at $40...

Anyway, to anyone considering playing it, hold off right now, things are a bit of a mess. The Turbine points you earn in game have been disappearing (and if you are a long time player, you probably haven't gotten your loyalty points yet).

And since Turbine in their wisdom decided to give their web site a makeover (and apparently broke them), it's rather spotty getting any info on when they will fix it....

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Logged in and had like 5000 turbine points. Bought a frog, a fox, a squirrel, and a snake.

Haeleos said:
You don't need the Siege of Mirkwood content if you're just starting out. Pick up the Mines of Moria box on amazon.com for $8 and you'll get a crapload of good stuff to start out with (Taken from the website: Purchasers of the Mines of Moria™ expansion get access to the Mines of Moria region and content, premium classes (Rune-Keeper and Warden), legendary items feature, Tier 6 crafting feature, 2 extra character slots and a level cap of 60.). You just put the key into your account and you're good to go. Will also come with 1 month of VIP membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FS7FE0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome, bought for whenever I care to play. Thanks friend.

Haeleos

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm torn between rolling my first character as either a Guardian or a Warden. LOTRO-GAF, what do recommend for a noobie?

A noobie to MMOs or just LotRO?

Warden is a more efficient soloing class but they are a bit more complex to play at first... the gambit system may add an extra layer of complexity onto the game for new players, but it's not that big of a deal. If you want a character that has a tool for almost every situation, they are a good choice.

Guardian is a little more one dimensional and more geared towards a single role, but they're really good at it. I really like playing classes that concentrate on one aspect as apposed to a jack of all trades type class, so that's why I went with Guardian. I really love the skills and the flow of combat with the Guardian. He relies on PROC skills that activate on blocks and parries, and I find it makes the fights a bit more dynamic than other classes.

I've played a Minstrel, a Hunter and a Runekeeper as well, and I keep coming back to my Guardian. It's not like you're going to be screwed because you picked the wrong one. Just play what you think sounds fun. If it's not fun after 10 or 20 levels, try the other class. There has to be one out of the bunch.

Haeleos said:
A noobie to MMOs or just LotRO?

Just a noob to LOTRO. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give Guardian a shot for a while!

It seems like GAF is split between Brandywine and Silverlode. I guess I'll give Silverlode a shot first since their isn't a queue for it.

Any idea when what time the head start ends and they let the floodgates open? I was hoping to be able to make an account and roll a character on Friday at midnight.

gblues

Banned
The first things I would grind TP out for would be:

1) Mines of Moria expansion (includes 2 character slots, access to premium classes, lvl 60 cap)
2) Lone Lands / North Downs quest pack
3) Riding trait

You won't really need the riding trait around level 20-25ish when you start venturing farther away from the Bree hub--walking from Bree to the Barrow Downs gets old pretty quickly.

Haeleos

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
From what I read you can grind the Turbine points to buy an expansion but from what I hear that takes a lot of time to accomplish.
gblues said:
The first things I would grind TP out for would be:

1) Mines of Moria expansion (includes 2 character slots, access to premium classes, lvl 60 cap)

I guarantee you will curse the days you wasted on your deathbed.

legend166

Is LotRO designed to allow you to put in a few hours a week and still enjoy it/accomplish things?

I don't have the time I used to when I played WoW (gone from a highschool/uni student to working 40 hours a week).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
legend166 said:
Is LotRO designed to allow you to put in a few hours a week and still enjoy it/accomplish things?

I don't have the time I used to when I played WoW (gone from a highschool/uni student to working 40 hours a week).

Very much so. Skirmishes were designed specifically for that sort of play style. The game is also just fun to exist in, I know a lot of people who slowly level through and just soak in the world.

Also, if you're on Brandywine and want an invite to the guild, send a tell to one of my characters: Teladain, Vierge, Weng, or Spearmaiden. I'll probably be on one of those at any given time this week.

Haeleos

legend166 said:

Yes. Especially with the free to play model, you can buy a quest pack and then tackle that zone at your own pace. I really think the F2P model is built for the kind of player who doesn't have a lot of time to invest, who would feel ripped off if they were paying $15 a month and only playing once a week. I play once or twice a week by myself and then my gf and I play on the weekends and it's held our interest for a little over a year so far.

Is f2p live yet? The client is nearly finished dl'ing and I'd like to get going. If it's not going, can't remember what the date was, can you start a trial account and have that turn into a free account? I'd like to try to remember the basics of the game before I dive in.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Made a new character. I'm a level 7 Human Warden called Dagrad. Decided to stay in Brandywine serverwise. Just got killed by
that huge spider in the basement named Justin or something like that...totally forgot about him :lol

Really dig the Gambit system of the Warden, btw. It's nice.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
theinfinityissue said:
Is f2p live yet? The client is nearly finished dl'ing and I'd like to get going. If it's not going, can't remember what the date was, can you start a trial account and have that turn into a free account? I'd like to try to remember the basics of the game before I dive in.

If you had a subscription account at some point and time and still remember your username and password, you should be able to play now (as I am).

I think Trial Accounts are usable, I see one linked to my account and it says "Active".

BlueTsunami said:
If you had a subscription account at some point and time and still remember your username and password, you should be able to play now (as I am).

I think Trial Accounts are usable, I see one linked to my account and it says "Active".

tragically, I never did. It was just one of those instances where I didn't feel like paying for 2 mmo's, no one I knew was playing, etc. I remember really digging it from the trial, especially the single player instances. Looks like the trial sign up is now defunct, which makes sense. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait another 24 hours or so.

hamchan

Yay finished the intro, I'm quite liking the game.

Is there any way to put the hotkey bar or open an extra bar up on the side?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
hamchan said:
Yay finished the intro, I'm quite liking the game.

Is there any way to put the hotkey bar or open an extra bar up on the side?

You can enable more hotbars or make them vertical under the Quickslots tab in the Options menu. You can move them where ever you want on the screen by pressing ctrl + \, which unlocks all UI elements.

Chris R

Downloaded the client from fileplanet but I think that bullshit pando thing was still running even though I hadn't started that download version. I start the fileplanet dl and come back and see the other folder at 7gb even though I only did like 20 mb on it last night :/ going to go over my bandwidth cap in half a month at this rate.

At least I can play the game on Friday :) (not earlier right?)

Wow. This is game is really solid. Absolutely fun to explore and seemingly full of stuff to do. I'm also really impressed at how great the game looks considering its age, and the zones are huge. I've only put in about 5 hours, but my time in the Shire has been extremely fun and I'm planning on picking up Mines of Moria Collector's Edition from Gamestop tomorrow for 10 bucks. That will be a lot of gameplay to keep me going for a while.

rhfb said:
Downloaded the client from fileplanet but I think that bullshit pando thing was still running even though I hadn't started that download version. I start the fileplanet dl and come back and see the other folder at 7gb even though I only did like 20 mb on it last night :/ going to go over my bandwidth cap in half a month at this rate.

At least I can play the game on Friday :) (not earlier right?)

Yeah, unless you are a current subscriber or were part of the beta for the F2P version you'll have to wait till Friday.

Chris R

legend166 said:
Can I download the client in preparation for Friday?
I just did from fileplanet earlier tonight. Was just under 10gb, then you install it (takes FOREVER... I might need to get a SSD soon :lol ) and patch to bring it up to the current version. Odds are there will probably be a small patch come friday to fix whatever last second stuff they want fixed. I've yet to create an account though, I'm guessing servers will be pounded on friday too :(

Bru

Giolon said:
I've been playing this game for 2 years, but calling it one of the best most finely tuned endgames around is a stretch at best...

Radiance is the worst idea for gating that I've seen in an MMO and it forces people to wear cookie cutter armor sets even more stringently than WoW used to with its Tier armor sets.
It would seem that Turbine have come to that conclusion also. Radiance looks like it's getting the boot from LOTRO sometime very soon (as revealed during a developer chat on WarCry).

legend166

rhfb said:
I just did from fileplanet earlier tonight. Was just under 10gb, then you install it (takes FOREVER... I might need to get a SSD soon :lol ) and patch to bring it up to the current version. Odds are there will probably be a small patch come friday to fix whatever last second stuff they want fixed. I've yet to create an account though, I'm guessing servers will be pounded on friday too :(

I'm downloading it using the Pando thing. Getting 500kbps so I figure I'll just stick with it (that's about as good as I can get).

Will be uninstalling Pando ASAP afterwards though.

Mojojo

Just great, Codemaster pushed back the F2P release in Europe.. Not surprised :p.

Wondering if I had several characters (5) when on sub, and i decide to go only F2P,as it has a lower limit on character slots, which characters will i be able to pick up? the firsts i created? random? all ?

hamchan

Mojojo said:
Just great, Codemaster pushed back the F2P release in Europe.. Not surprised :p.

Wondering if I had several characters (5) when on sub, and i decide to go only F2P,as it has a lower limit on character slots, which characters will i be able to pick up? the firsts i created? random? all ?

You'll be a premium member since you've given money to them before.

notworksafe

Finished installing and patching finally. When I try to get in, servers are down! :lol

Anyway I guess in an hour or I'll be online! Hooray!

Shanadeus

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Sheesh, I paid $40 + $40 + $20 for what's in it.

Now I know how people feel when I gripe about the price of GOTY/Gold editions with the DLC are too much at $40...

Anyway, to anyone considering playing it, hold off right now, things are a bit of a mess. The Turbine points you earn in game have been disappearing (and if you are a long time player, you probably haven't gotten your loyalty points yet).

And since Turbine in their wisdom decided to give their web site a makeover (and apparently broke them), it's rather spotty getting any info on when they will fix it....
Think they'll have it fixed for the tenth?
I'll just give it a go on Brandywine anyway - bugs or not!

Top Bottom