• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

Team Vernia said:
... I'm planning on picking up Mines of Moria Collector's Edition from Gamestop tomorrow for 10 bucks.

Good info. A (somewhat) local gamestop has one in stock according to their inventory checker. Probably gonna go pick it up today.

This game is so nice and relaxing to go to. I've been playing atmospheric, tense-as-fuck games like STALKER and Amnesia...this is a great "break" :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
This game's music is so good. I could listen to the Rivendell theme for hours.

(of course it's also awesome to pull up the soundtrack from the movies from time to time)

GDGF said:
This game's music is so good. I could listen to the Rivendell theme for hours.

(of course it's also awesome to pull up the soundtrack from the movies from time to time)

I have not yet gotten sick of the music. I never play with music on in the other big game. Can't wait to hear more of it.

Parts

Ugh, the website is pissing me off. It won't let me even register for an account, even though I left my computer on for like 15 hours to download the game yesterday. So frustrating, I've never tried an MMO seriously and wanted to give this a go!

I downloaded and am installing the client. I think I might give it a shot. How long would someone typically have to play to get a good sense of whether they will like it?

Rflagg

So my quest to find a retail copy of Mines of Moria here locally, ended in successful failure. I did find one, but at $19, I will take my chances that an online copy will still be available if I decide it is worth spending money on. Worst case I end up getting the complete Mirkwood for $30 or spend money and turbine points on an expansion. The pc selection sucks here of the 8 places I went too only one had a decent section.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Felix Lighter said:
I downloaded and am installing the client. I think I might give it a shot. How long would someone typically have to play to get a good sense of whether they will like it?

I'd give it like 5 levels.

They had me at mára aurë.

notworksafe

This game is pretty sweet! I've only just gotten out of the newbie zone (and a bit more), but I really like Rune Keeper so far. The attunement system is pretty cool, and adds an interesting dynamic to healing and dpsing. I'll probably stick to damage as I don't really think RK is that great of a healer, at least not so far. I think I'll spend some time tonight doing my crafts. I hear a lot of good things about farming, so I'll probably try that out first.

As an extra incentive to people who aren't sure if they want Moria, you also get two pretty sweet items for owning it as well. One is a trinket that gives you 5% faster run speed for 15 minutes, and the other is a horn that gives you +1 hope on a 15 minute cooldown. There are other things you can get, like home decorations, but I passed those up.

Not sure what the guys on Brandywine are doing, but I've got a Kinship set up on Silverlode with some GAF people and WoW guild members. We're all just figuring the game out together! Just send a tell to Bamavald, Scarce, or Jeeperskeepers (me) on Silverlode and we'll toss you an invite.

Sounds good, NotWork. I'm on Silverlode too and I'll send you a tell tonight.

- Arhelm, lvl 5 Guardian

So far I'm digging the game. The small amount of voiceovers on each quest giver adds some flavor that WoW lacks. I ordered an $8 copy of Moroa from Amazon. It should be here tomorrow and hopefully it's the "complete" version. I'm looking forward to playing more the game tonight.

Looks like I'm going to have some free time this weekend.

Should I wait to create an account until I have the product key from my Amazon $8 Moria (should arrive tomorrow)? That will automatically boost my account to Premium right?

notworksafe

Freyjadour said:
Looks like I'm going to have some free time this weekend.

Should I wait to create an account until I have the product key from my Amazon $8 Moria (should arrive tomorrow)? That will automatically boost my account to Premium right?
I had my account before my Moria came in. You just enter your Moria product key and it actually bumps you to VIP (free 30 days subscription).

Anyone know why my lotro client keeps on crashing? it just keeps randomly freezing, with then when i close it i'm taken back to the user log on launcher

gblues

Banned
GDGF said:
I'd give it like 5 levels.

They had me at mára aurë.

I'd say closer to 8-10 levels. Level 5 won't even get you out of the intro instance, much less the starter zones. Once you get out of Archet (for hobbits/men anyway), things open up considerably.

ACE 1991

Is anyone playing this in a laptop? I'm in college so I can't fit a PC... I'll be using an external mouse with the laptop's computer... I hope this isn't super annoying :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ACE 1991 said:
Is anyone playing this in a laptop? I'm in college so I can't fit a PC... I'll be using an external mouse with the laptop's computer... I hope this isn't super annoying :lol

My PC is pretty shitty and is able to run it (though I've got a 8800GT installed). I have a 1.8GHz AMD Single core and I'm able to run it at a reasonable framerate despite the super old CPU. I would make use of the Windowed mode and a lower resolution if your getting low framerate.

notworksafe

ACE 1991 said:
I'm running it on a MacBook Pro, but it works great for me. Granted I have an 8800 and 4gb of RAM. :lol

ACE 1991

Will I be able to get reasonable performance out of this game on decent settings? This is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series

notworksafe

ACE 1991 said:
Will I be able to get reasonable performance out of this game on decent settings? This is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
Yeah, totally. It's around the same as my laptop and I can run the game on high through emulation. You'll be running it without any issues.

Also it is free, so there's no risk in at least trying it out. :D

ACE 1991

notworksafe said:
Yeah, totally. It's around the same as my laptop and I can run the game on high through emulation. You'll be running it without any issues.

Also it is free, so there's no risk in at least trying it out. :D

Right. I'm excited for tomorrow :D

I'll see ya'll on Brandywine tomorrow!

Is F2P live yet for us plebs who didn't get in advance? I downloaded the client over the last few days and have gotten to the launcher, where it says log in BUT when I click 'need a username' it takes me to a screen where it gets me to fill in details, then it says session time expired, click here to start again! argghghghg it won't work :( WHAT AM I DOING WRONG :(

teacupcopter said:
Is F2P live yet for us plebs who didn't get in advance? I downloaded the client over the last few days and have gotten to the launcher, where it says log in BUT when I click 'need a username' it takes me to a screen where it gets me to fill in details, then it says session time expired, click here to start again! argghghghg it won't work :( WHAT AM I DOING WRONG :(
The f2p thing is delayed here in europe so i just made an account with the 14 day free trial :) I'm playing it now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, one of the best things about this game is that with a hardcore setup it's probably the most beautiful MMO out there, but it scales down to pretty modest system requirements so everybody can play.

ACE 1991 said:
Where can I pre-download the game in preparation for F2P going live tomorrow?

I am wondering the same thing, so all those people who never played this before but want to try for free will be able to do starting tomorrow?

notworksafe

GDGF said:
Yeah, one of the best things about this game is that with a hardcore setup it's probably the most beautiful MMO out there, but it scales down to pretty modest system requirements so everybody can play.
Very true! There's some sort of Wine bug that is stopping me from setting my graphics higher than High, but as soon as that is fixed I'm going to check out maxed out mode!

sweetvar26 said:
I am wondering the same thing, so all those people who never played this before but want to try for free will be able to do starting tomorrow?
Can you guys not make a 14 day trial account? There's no auto bill on it so you can get the game downloaded and jump right in without having to worry about that.

notworksafe said:
Can you guys not make a 14 day trial account? There's no auto bill on it so you can get the game downloaded and jump right in without having to worry about that.

I'm assuming it will automatically be switched to F2P after the 14 day trial? If yes I guess I will make one tonight and download the game and check it out.

sweetvar26 said:
I'm assuming it will automatically be switched to F2P after the 14 day trial? If yes I guess I will make one tonight and download the game and check it out.

Where is the link for this? Everything I find appears to be a broken link now with the new site.

Shambles

God damn their password requirements are utter bullshit. Why don't they just GIVE us a password to use since none of my 4-5 tiers of passwords are allowed in their system. Now it won't even let me log in.

notworksafe

teacupcopter said:
So who has the best starting area! I think I want to play a champion, but I heard the hobbit area is the coolest?
This is untrue. It's all delivering pies and avoiding nosy hobbits. Not a single battle to be seen!

Wallach

Jibber Hack said:
Just started farming. I think I might be addicted.

Crafting in this game is far more rewarding than almost any other MMO I've ever played. My Guardian is addicted to cooking wicked pies and making phat bling to wear on his fingers.

My pies bring all the hobbits to the Shire.

Delio

So i'm trying to make a password and it just keeps expiring on me. I cant even make a account at the moment >.<

So it seems like I can make an account without a product key from the game launcher ("Need a username?"), but everytime I try to fill out the info I get a "session expired" error within 10 seconds. Probably just try again tomorrow.

Shambles

Keeps saying my username/password is incorrect even though i've already reset it once, set it back and it still doesn't like it. Don't think i'm going to bother much with this anymore.

Top Bottom