• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The microphone housed in PS5’s Dualsense controller could be a big deal

bitbydeath

A lot of people (myself included) have not been so forthcoming with using a microphone in gaming previously because it was always an extra accessory and with headphones made you less accessible to the real world. Having a built-in mic that doesn’t require a headset changes all this and more.

OS

Voice commands are nothing new, they’re often painful due to having to shout from across the room and the device not registering what you state correctly due to distance however now having the microphone at your fingertips could drastically change that experience.

Click reduction:
Voice commands have often been under utilised and often replace one or two click steps such as starting a game, the real benefits would be if it could reduce 5 ot more clicks such as being instantly transported to a specific games preorder page or just simply asking to see what’s on sale.

Phone Calls:
Standardising this feature means more apps can release such a simple call mechanic to speak privately with friends and family.

Games

Another area that has been overlooked is how games can make use of this new feature now that it will become standard. Horror games no longer have to be so lonely as you could communicate via walkie talkies to one or more others as they are being hunted allowing for new types of gameplay to unfold.

Socom:
Socom or another such tactical game could make real good use of the microphone allowing commands directly to the AI such as flanking or covering your movements.

SingStar:
Games such as SingStar or Rockband would become more accessible than ever by no longer requiring a microphone accessory or even a mobile phone to play.

Home 2.0:
This needs a comeback, not only would VR bring a second life to this but so would everyone being voice accessible.

What can you think of that the microphone could be used for to enhance your experience?

SirTerry-T

A lot of people (myself included) have not been so forthcoming with using a microphone in gaming previously because it was always an extra accessory and with headphones made you less accessible to the real world. Having a built-in mic that doesn’t require a headset changes all this and more.

OS

Voice commands are nothing new, they’re often painful due to having to shout from across the room and the device not registering what you state correctly due to distance however now having the microphone at your fingertips could drastically change that experience.

Click reduction:
Voice commands have often been under utilised and often replace one or two click steps such as starting a game, the real benefits would be if it could reduce 5 ot more clicks such as being instantly transported to a specific games preorder page or just simply asking to see what’s on sale.

Phone Calls:
Standardising this feature means more apps can release such a simple call mechanic to speak privately with friends and family.

Games

Another area that has been overlooked is how games can make use of this new feature now that it will become standard. Horror games no longer have to be so lonely as you could communicate via walkie talkies to one or more others as they are being hunted allowing for new types of gameplay to unfold.

Socom:
Socom or another such tactical game could make real good use of the microphone allowing commands directly to the AI such as flanking or covering your movements.

SingStar:
Games such as SingStar or Rockband would become more accessible than ever by no longer requiring a microphone accessory or even a mobile phone to play.

Home 2.0:
This needs a comeback, not only would VR bring a second life to this but so would everyone being voice accessible.

What can you think of that the microphone could be used for to enhance your experience?

If I'm going to pretend to be a rock God, the last thing I will be wanting to do is sing into a joypad rather than a microphone.

Or they're selling all our data and spying on us

3eKTn44.png

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ive used a headset with a mic nearly all this gen, voice commands have been slower and they make noise.
Id rather be able to control the console with my phone, with an app as slick as Android.

Jtibh

Banned

OS

Click reduction:

Phone Calls:

Games

Socom:

SingStar:

Home 2.0:

But if you dont use headphones where does the sound come from?

I dont want it comming from the tv as it mumbles the game and through the ds5 speaker it sound distorted and quite

nikolino840

Voice commands for switching weapons really?
Yes
On the PlayStation 4 to use the Voice Commands function the player needs a headset with a microphone connected to the DualShock controller, while on the Xbox One Kinect is needed.

Commands
(Please note that some commands like special ammunition or weapons attachments will not work if you haven't unlocked it yet.)

Menu
  • "pause" enters the pause menu
  • "show map" opens up the map
  • "resume" or "close" closes the menu or the map
To navigate through the map, you can jump to a certain tab with the following commands:

• "skills" moves to the skills tab in the map menu
  • "map" moves to the map tab in the map menu
  • "documents" moves to the documents tab in the map menu
  • "relics" moves to the relics tab
  • "gear" moves to the gear tab
Weapons
  • "bow" equips the bow
  • "rifle" equips the rifle
  • "shotgun" equips the shotgun
  • "pistol" or "(hand)gun" equips the pistol
  • "cycle" switches the ammunition to the next type
  • "fire" switches to fire arrows if bow equipped or fire shotgun shells if shotgun equipped
  • "incendiary" switches to incendiary bullets for the shotgun
  • "explosive" switches to explosive arrows is bow equipped
  • "regular" switches back to regular ammunition for the weapon currently equipped
  • "stealth" attaches the silencer of an equipped weapon
  • "silencer" attaches or removes the silencer of an equipped weapon

ZehDon

Gold Member
Wouldn't Microsoft have done all of this already when Kinect was bundled with the Xbone if anyone wanted it? Kinect, for all it's failing, was a decent piece of kit. But, there's a reason no one enjoyed Kinect the second time around: voice controls are worthless in a practical environment. And, frankly, no one wants to talk to their game. Mass Effect 3 tried it, and it was absolutely terrible. It's worth remembering that the PS4 actually came bundled with a microphone, and it did absolutely zero. So, no, not only is the in-built microphone in the controller not a big deal, Sony themselves don't really consider it a decent option, and recommend having a headset ready.

bitbydeath

Wouldn't Microsoft have done all of this already when Kinect was bundled with the Xbone if anyone wanted it? Kinect, for all it's failing, was a decent piece of kit. But, there's a reason no one enjoyed Kinect the second time around: voice controls are worthless in a practical environment. And, frankly, no one wants to talk to their game. Mass Effect 3 tried it, and it was absolutely terrible. It's worth remembering that the PS4 actually came bundled with a microphone, and it did absolutely zero. So, no, not only is the in-built microphone in the controller not a big deal, Sony themselves don't really consider it a decent option, and recommend having a headset ready.

All PS4’s never came bundled with a microphone and the reason Kinect didn’t work was because it was an expensive addon that sat on the other side of the room.

bitbydeath

But if you dont use headphones where does the sound come from?

I dont want it comming from the tv as it mumbles the game and through the ds5 speaker it sound distorted and quite

I’m not interested in wearing headphones, great for those that do but this makes for an alternative for the millions of others like me.

Digity

Yes
On the PlayStation 4 to use the Voice Commands function the player needs a headset with a microphone connected to the DualShock controller, while on the Xbox One Kinect is needed.

Commands
(Please note that some commands like special ammunition or weapons attachments will not work if you haven't unlocked it yet.)

Menu
  • "pause" enters the pause menu
  • "show map" opens up the map
  • "resume" or "close" closes the menu or the map
To navigate through the map, you can jump to a certain tab with the following commands:

• "skills" moves to the skills tab in the map menu
  • "map" moves to the map tab in the map menu
  • "documents" moves to the documents tab in the map menu
  • "relics" moves to the relics tab
  • "gear" moves to the gear tab
Weapons
  • "bow" equips the bow
  • "rifle" equips the rifle
  • "shotgun" equips the shotgun
  • "pistol" or "(hand)gun" equips the pistol
  • "cycle" switches the ammunition to the next type
  • "fire" switches to fire arrows if bow equipped or fire shotgun shells if shotgun equipped
  • "incendiary" switches to incendiary bullets for the shotgun
  • "explosive" switches to explosive arrows is bow equipped
  • "regular" switches back to regular ammunition for the weapon currently equipped
  • "stealth" attaches the silencer of an equipped weapon
  • "silencer" attaches or removes the silencer of an equipped weapon
Whatever floats peoples boats I guess.

The Alien

Banned
A mic/small speaker on the controller is a huge convenience and is a feature I think is pretty cool.

That being said, I'm definitely eager to hear more official news direct from Sony. I'm skeptical that even Sony recommends a headset for longer sessions, etc.

But then you still have to wear the extra accessory unless if you want the whole house to hear the other end of the incoming chat which is usually a lot of hot garbage.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
All PS4’s never came bundled with a microphone and the reason Kinect didn’t work was because it was an expensive addon that sat on the other side of the room.
PS4's absolutely came bundled with a microphone - it was officially called the Mono Chat Earbud. It enabled voice controls on the system. And the reason Kinect's voice controls didn't work was because audio controls are one of the most difficult things in the world to do. You need to calibrate for: the language, the individual region accents, the individual person, the room, and - I shit you not - the temperature of the ambient environment. Do you think Sony have solved that problem and bundled it into their $80 dollar?

Shmunter

I don't think it's any different to just being more convenient than having to wear a headset.

It's a step forward for the controller to have it but I don't see it being utilised in any way that could be perceived to be a game changer.
Likely to be used by tempest to test the soundstage. Besides that, breaking down barriers and giving access to comms to 100% of user could alter the social landscape.

Last edited:

njean777

I hope that it is muted by default. How many people are we going to have to hear with all the house noises/dogs/kids/ whatever else goes on before they patch it to default to off.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’ve never really done any multiplayer gaming online , or worn a headset, the effect of imagining a microphone in the controller, for me, was to think, “maybe I should try it” - it takes something hardcore and makes it... softcore..

I was kind of hoping the new consoles would have microphones built in, at least for OS voice commands, auto-on, whatever..

But voice commands in gaming? No one has really broken the hold of the current control paradigm - not the Kinect, not the Wii, the Move, the Wii U..

Something about the current interface, a kind of upper and lower body dissociation, just works.. Thumbs have the reaction speed for tense, quick play rhythms, no one is really into playing Twister or doing full body aerobics.. The waggles and shouts work sometimes but more often they break immersion, or equilibrium..

One idea I had a few days ago that could be technologically feasible soon: players recite dialogue, either preselected or from options, and the game character reactions and dialogue change slightly based on cues in your voice data about your affect.. not in win-lose ways, like you fail a speech check for not hitting high C, just small alterations, commenting on nervousness, uncertainty, fear, boldness, determination, bravery, discouragement, optimism, disinterest, enthusiasm, anger, etc.

Cleared_Hot

PS4's absolutely came bundled with a microphone - it was officially called the Mono Chat Earbud. It enabled voice controls on the system. And the reason Kinect's voice controls didn't work was because audio controls are one of the most difficult things in the world to do. You need to calibrate for: the language, the individual region accents, the individual person, the room, and - I shit you not - the temperature of the ambient environment. Do you think Sony have solved that problem and bundled it into their $80 dollar?
Its in eveey cell phone and also theres alexa and google speakers in millions of homes... The tech is clearly not that expensive anymore.

bitbydeath

1. That’s an earpiece not a microphone.

2. The tech is commonplace today, Sony have implemented it in their phones.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I don't want this in CoD or any other multiplayer game. Going to be fucking cancer having to block so many more people better be off by default.

I don't want this in CoD or any other multiplayer game. Going to be fucking cancer having to block so many more people better be off by default.
When I used to play paladins I would just start a party, even if I was the only person in it, to block the in game chat.

Flintty

I don’t think the distance from the player was Kinects problem. It was actually a very capable piece of kit.
It was just poorly implemented and was seen as a Trojan horse rather than something actually useful.
Outside of Just Dance, the main thing I used it for was recording game clips with voice command and it was pretty reliable for that.
It will never be successful for reloading on voice command, when it’s so much easier and quicker to just press a button. That’s a gimmick. If they want it to be used for something it should be more innovative than that!

Psykodad

Banned
Most gamers use gaming headsets so the inbuilt mic is pretty much a redundant feature for most

one thing I do hope it includes is the ability to block out the whine of the system fans as you can always tell when their is a ps4 player in a modern warfare lobby
On the other hand, part of the reason most gamers use gaming headsets is because there hasn't been a built in mic up until DualSense.

Anyway, Idc much if it's there or not, but at least now people can't use the excuse of "can't find/don't have a mic" anymore.
Although this goes for me as well. 😶

Last edited:

Shmunter

On the other hand, part of the reason most gamers use gaming headsets is because there hasn't been a built in mic up until DualSense.

Anyway, Idc much if it's there not, but at least now people can't use the excuse of "can't find/don't have a mic" anymore.
Although this goes for me as well. 😶
Right as always president Hilary Trump

abcdrstuv

Banned
You can always disbelieve it's working, I guess, but a controller with a "kill switch" for its microphone would be great - it'll be interesting to see if Microsoft iterates on its controller again, since they basically kept it as is. Easier to add adaptive triggers and a microphone later..

Zannegan

The coolest thing about it (if it works as its been described to me) is that it's directional, which should make the ambient noise cancelling much better and more accurate. No more garbage, muffled music in the background is always a bonus.

Iorv3th

I think the built in mic will be more for the OS. Something like Google TV where you just press a button and ask a question or look for a movie or something like that.

Keep your dogshit quality controller mic with echo and TV audio out of my ears.
If you're going to use voice chat in an online game wear a fucking headset. If you're not going to wear a headset do us all a favor and don't use voice chat.

Top Bottom