• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The microphone housed in PS5’s Dualsense controller could be a big deal

VertigoOA

Banned
Mic too far from face.

Nintendo tried this with wiispeak. It was shit.

I think it’s a worthless add-on that will not replace superior headset methods.

Allandor

Well, 3ds had a mic, was not that great ;)

I can understand the use for voice chat, but we'll ... They make a big fuzz about the audio chip, how good it is e.g for headsets (e.g. psvr without headset?) and than they think a mic inside the controller is a good idea. It seems they need the audio chip to reduce/canceling all the other sounds with a mic so far away from your mouth.

BTW, this also means lower battery life for the controller.

What do you fear?
Nothing ? Why would I fear mic? U r typing from ur phone which is 24 hour listening to you and picks up words u say to show u ads based on that . We are wayyyyy pass that point unfortunately. I can't disable my phone mic but I can disable dualsense mic .

VertigoOA

Banned
Also far easier to pick up tv audio over a headset so that likely means other player voices coming over the tv or controller itself. So they will hear themselves echo? Trash

They could’ve cut costs instead of adding more useless features to a 90$ controller that will never need a lightbar or built-in mic and speaker (or gyro controls!).

The mic input on the ds4 should’ve been standard. Paddle triggers should be standard. (i like the touchpad tho!).

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'd imagine that the controller mic will have two sides to its lifetime. One will be the early in-game inclusions that will be gimmicky and ultimately fade out after and not be something that ages well. Then there's the other side that will see long-term use - no-headset chat and voice commands (I'm guessing there will be an option to disable OS-level commands to save battery life).

Enjoy the privacy concerns articles when the PS5 lands.

Shifty1897

Didn't they literally put in the same paragraph where they introduced the microphone that you'll probably want to use a headset microphone for longer play?

I expect it to be the same quality as the speaker on the PS4 controller.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I can see Sony fanboys saying that the PS5 has the best microphone ever, even thou could work just as good as a fine cheap microphone

FranXico

It's not a big deal, it's a nice-to-have convenience that I will probably turn off after trying it. Still appreciated though.

Built-in mics aren't a new concept, and they've never been used well. I don't expect this to change.

tdEFywD.jpg

maRgzuf.jpg

nTjZwAK.jpg

I can see Sony fanboys saying that the PS5 has the best microphone ever, even thou could work just as good as a fine cheap microphone
Dualsense has active noise canceling and anything with noise canceling has been a premium product haha just saying

D.Final

Banned
A lot of people (myself included) have not been so forthcoming with using a microphone in gaming previously because it was always an extra accessory and with headphones made you less accessible to the real world. Having a built-in mic that doesn’t require a headset changes all this and more.

OS

Voice commands are nothing new, they’re often painful due to having to shout from across the room and the device not registering what you state correctly due to distance however now having the microphone at your fingertips could drastically change that experience.

Click reduction:
Voice commands have often been under utilised and often replace one or two click steps such as starting a game, the real benefits would be if it could reduce 5 ot more clicks such as being instantly transported to a specific games preorder page or just simply asking to see what’s on sale.

Phone Calls:
Standardising this feature means more apps can release such a simple call mechanic to speak privately with friends and family.

Games

Another area that has been overlooked is how games can make use of this new feature now that it will become standard. Horror games no longer have to be so lonely as you could communicate via walkie talkies to one or more others as they are being hunted allowing for new types of gameplay to unfold.

Socom:
Socom or another such tactical game could make real good use of the microphone allowing commands directly to the AI such as flanking or covering your movements.

SingStar:
Games such as SingStar or Rockband would become more accessible than ever by no longer requiring a microphone accessory or even a mobile phone to play.

Home 2.0:
This needs a comeback, not only would VR bring a second life to this but so would everyone being voice accessible.

What can you think of that the microphone could be used for to enhance your experience?

Maybe yes.
We need to see the quality

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Keep your dogshit quality controller mic with echo and TV audio out of my ears.
If you're going to use voice chat in an online game wear a fucking headset. If you're not going to wear a headset do us all a favor and don't use voice chat.

Do you always use a headset when talking on phones or do you speak freely into the mouthpiece?

Do you always use a headset when talking on phones or do you speak freely into the mouthpiece?
Do you hold the controller about an inch from your mouth when playing or is it in your lap?
Is the audio coming out of a small speaker directly into your ear or out of your TV / speaker setup?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Do you hold the controller about an inch from your mouth when playing or is it in your lap?
Is the audio coming out of a small speaker directly into your ear or out of your TV / speaker setup?

I use speaker mode a lot when I’m working at home, in the car as well with hands free. The tech works just fine.

Last edited:
I use speaker mode a lot when I’m working at home, in the car as well with hands free. The tech works just fine.
There's a special hell just for people who put people on loudspeaker unnecessarily. As anyone who has ever been a victim of this heinous crime will tell you...it sounds like shit.
Don't be inconsiderate. Use a headset.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
There's a special hell just for people who put people on loudspeaker unnecessarily. As anyone who has ever been a victim of this heinous crime will tell you...it sounds like shit.
Don't be inconsiderate. Use a headset.

The tech has evolved greatly. You often can’t even tell when someones on hands free until you hear someone else talking to you that you didn’t know was there.

No it isn’t. How many years ago did you last try it?
Earlier this year. Sounded like shit, caught the switchover immediately. As the mic moves away from an audio source, it sounds worse. This is just a fact I'm afraid. Audio vibrations are "analogue" like that. Nothing you can do with the tech can fix this.

ZehDon

Gold Member
1. That’s an earpiece not a microphone.

2. The tech is commonplace today, Sony have implemented it in their phones.
Hmmm, ok, not sure if you're trolling me here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you just didn't click on the links. In the second link, to the PlayStation website, it describes the components of the "Mono Chat Earbud" follows: A - Earpiece, B - Microphone, C - MIC Switch, and D - Clip. Item B there is the relevant one - the built in Microphone. As the Mono Chat Earbud was bundled with all PlayStation 4's, and the Mono Chat Earbud included a built-in Microphone, all PlayStation 4's came bundled with a Microphone. I'll address item two in response to the below:

Its in eveey cell phone and also theres alexa and google speakers in millions of homes... The tech is clearly not that expensive anymore.
Re-reading my posts, I didn't make my point very clear, so I apologise for the confusion. In direct response: you're absolutely correct - voice control technology is indeed in Alexa and Google Home enabled devices right now. That actually wasn't my point, so again, apologies. We're posting in a thread about the microphone being a "big deal". As I pointed about above, the PS4 already came with a microphone, and it didn't result in... anything, and certainly nothing resembling a "big deal".
Now, the technology behind Alexa and Google Home is software based, using fairly low quality microphones to just generate raw audio input. This is why the technology has a number of issues. This includes most "digital assistants" in mobile devices. It... kinda works, but not well enough for anyone to really care, or just it for more than setting unimportant reminders or reading text messages back to you.
So, if PS5's voice control implementation is just raw audio input from a cheap microphone, then it's really exactly the same as the PS4's current implementation in use today - and there's no reason to think it will be a "big deal" just because "the PS5". However, if the hardware in the controller is actually designed to mitigate a lot of the issues, resulting in cleaner, better user audio input for the PlayStation 5, which could result in much better audio commands... then the cost of that hardware will be expensive, because that kind of hardware isn't cheap. With all things considered, I don't think this is the case - I think Sony went with a couple of cheap microphones to create a basic array. This is why I don't think we'll see it amount to a "big deal": the PlayStation 4 can already do voice commands of this nature, developers can already design games knowing everyone has a microphone - and what happened? No one used it, no one developed for it, and no one cared.

A mic/small speaker on the controller is a huge convenience and is a feature I think is pretty cool.

That being said, I'm definitely eager to hear more official news direct from Sony. I'm skeptical that even Sony recommends a headset for longer sessions, etc.

they dont, its optional

they say is for a quick conversation it still have the audio jack input like DS4

"DualSense also adds a built-in microphone array, which will enable players to easily chat with friends without a headset – ideal for jumping into a quick conversation. But of course, if you are planning to chat for a longer period, it’s good to have that headset handy."

Last edited:
Lol expect an army of squeakers in you ear from now on with the added ability to hear their button clicks when they are not squeaking.

Last edited:
If it is used for OS commands Kinect-like than I’m fine. Other than that is just a piece of garbage to reduce battery life.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Hmmm, ok, not sure if you're trolling me here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you just didn't click on the links. In the second link, to the PlayStation website, it describes the components of the "Mono Chat Earbud" follows: A - Earpiece, B - Microphone, C - MIC Switch, and D - Clip. Item B there is the relevant one - the built in Microphone. As the Mono Chat Earbud was bundled with all PlayStation 4's, and the Mono Chat Earbud included a built-in Microphone, all PlayStation 4's came bundled with a Microphone. I'll address item two in response to the below:

Re-reading my posts, I didn't make my point very clear, so I apologise for the confusion. In direct response: you're absolutely correct - voice control technology is indeed in Alexa and Google Home enabled devices right now. That actually wasn't my point, so again, apologies. We're posting in a thread about the microphone being a "big deal". As I pointed about above, the PS4 already came with a microphone, and it didn't result in... anything, and certainly nothing resembling a "big deal".
Now, the technology behind Alexa and Google Home is software based, using fairly low quality microphones to just generate raw audio input. This is why the technology has a number of issues. This includes most "digital assistants" in mobile devices. It... kinda works, but not well enough for anyone to really care, or just it for more than setting unimportant reminders or reading text messages back to you.
So, if PS5's voice control implementation is just raw audio input from a cheap microphone, then it's really exactly the same as the PS4's current implementation in use today - and there's no reason to think it will be a "big deal" just because "the PS5". However, if the hardware in the controller is actually designed to mitigate a lot of the issues, resulting in cleaner, better user audio input for the PlayStation 5, which could result in much better audio commands... then the cost of that hardware will be expensive, because that kind of hardware isn't cheap. With all things considered, I don't think this is the case - I think Sony went with a couple of cheap microphones to create a basic array. This is why I don't think we'll see it amount to a "big deal": the PlayStation 4 can already do voice commands of this nature, developers can already design games knowing everyone has a microphone - and what happened? No one used it, no one developed for it, and no one cared.

Point received. I wasn’t aware of any microphones that came in the box. That said millions of others probably weren’t aware of it either. Having it now built directly into the equipment everyone uses does however mean it can now be taken greater advantage of.

As for the build quality we’ll have to wait and see. It containing noise cancelling does show some thought has gone into it.

BigLee74

Kinect was absolutely shit as an in game microphone, and it had all your fancy noise cancellation functionality too, along with a big calibratiion set-up. Given its size and price, I would image its internal components were a good deal more capable than whatever gets squeezed into a small controller.

I would therefore bet my house (ok too much, maybe my wife?) that in game chat using a controller will be every bit as bad, and opening it up to everybody will result in a horrible experience and mass usage of in game muting!

It's another retarded gimmick that will add another 10 bucks to the RRP of a replacement controller. Just fuck off already with your light bars and speakers. Pointless.

Mista

Banned
Said no one. Good for voice commands of course

But I am not going to use it as a mic in a party chat or lobby

But as I always say, got to try it first to give the final verdict

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have to admit I find this whole thing intriguing because I just can't figure out what kind of problem Sony is trying to fix here. Especially since headsets have firmly been the established default for a long time - and the apparent superior solution.

TLDR; What year is it ? [insert meme pic here]

Last edited:
I don't see it. Kinect was standard and I'd back MS/Cortana with the wealth of development and audience reach internationally and language support etc.

It didn't take off then, it won't take off now either.

GermanZepp

I dont Like voice commands at all. But let's wait and see what happens. The mic for quick voice chat or partys is nice though. I have some more expensive headsets with no mic so is nice to have that option.

"PlayStation, start Metal Gear Solid HD Collec..."

"nevermind"

The last thing I want is tinny speakers and poor quality mic. Though I do expect Sony to surprise us with the audio quality. The vita speakers werent bad from memory.

Last edited:
one thing I do hope it includes is the ability to block out the whine of the system fans as you can always tell when their is a ps4 player in a modern warfare lobby

This made me chuckle. I gotta believe the PS5 is gonna have quiet acoustics. The fan noise was a pretty common complaint this gen, I’m sure Cerny has a better solution this time around

I'd MUCH prefer using a headset than the mic built on the DuelSense.... Besides, the mic is aimed at your crotch the majority of the time.

my hips don’t lie

Last edited:

Skyfox

Dont want the mic.

Seems more like a data hungry exec asked for this. Just look at the stadia pad. It's obvious and insulting.

Kinect failed for a very good reason.

They should have a pad without this.

Top Bottom