• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most frustrating gaming experience?

keraj37

Mine is quite recent:

I bought this game few weeks ago, for PSVR2, which had nice reviews:
maxresdefault.jpg

The cover image is the best looking part of this game by the way, as the game looks awful (it was made in Unity, so it lives up to that engine reputation)

I tried to like this game, so I just played few sessions, to learn mechanics and start enjoying it.
My last session, before I uninstalled the game and put the disk back to case for good, was very frustrating:

I noticed some avatar running around me, shooting stuff and being in general very annoying.
I thought to myself: it cannot be AI as I see very realistic hands movements (with PSVR2 controllers), he was grabbing stuff realistically and trying to hand it to me.
I tried to ignore for a while this guy, but I couldn't in the long run, he was really annoying and definitely trying to convince me to follow him or whatever.
Okay, I said to my self: this must be game sharing feature that I never opt in, nor did I have PS+ for multiplayer, since I hate MP games. Just not for me.
Gaming is my private, intimate time, in which I don't want any strangers to spoil it.
So, this game must somehow go around PS+ requirements and inject some stranger into my private game!
There must be an option to disable it, right? No, you cannot disable it, so you are forced to share your game with any annoying dude from random parts of the Internet.
I felt like somebody broke to my house and I couldn't do anything, very frustrating!
Uninstalled immediately, and I am keeping it in case, just for collection’s sake.

I had to spill it out of my lungs! What was yours the most frustrating gaming experience?

Guilty_AI

RDR2 frustrated me quite often, the game would let me do certain things at one point only for them to stop working whenever it felt like. I don't mind on-rail games, but i did mind the fact said game kept trying to pretend it was giving me freedom and flexibility

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I had to look up what are those, but I played a lot Europa Universalis IV and I didn't find it annoying or frustrating at all. So why you say this?
I just find them too confusing. I can barely do easy stuff like Age of Empires.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Puzzle sections in Uncharted 4.

The action in that game was so incredible that I tried to rush through puzzle sections to get back to it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Quick-saving before a hard fight or in a tough spot, but having your save be just past the point of no-return/fuck-up-ery so you die and reload 20 times before finally biting the bullet and going to a save from further back.

Last edited:

amigastar

Fighting games like Street Fighter and Dragon Ball FighterZ get me SO frustrated because i suck at them big times. I don't have the time and patience to get good at them also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dis

Dis

Left Alive. Its unplayable for me.

I’ll try again sometime in the future, but why depart from anything turn based Square?

(I dont want 2D sprites unless its Chrono Trigger FF6 or Xenogears) (or SO2 remake)

unlurkified

Overwatch 1 & 2 are more frustrating than every other game I’ve ever played put together. (And I’ve been playing games the NES days). The reasons too myriad to mention.

NanaMiku

xenoblade_2_field_skills_guide.jpg

Need to open the menu and shuffle the party every time you meet the field skill. And then you forgot which skill need to be at certain level and you have to test the field skill again to check it....

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Playing Gunvalkyrie......it was bad but people were more open to experimental games, playing it today is true suffering because the controls are so weird.

gunvalkyrie-02-21-22-1.jpg

Reactions: ~*~

GymWolf

Mine is coming into these forums to read immature teenagers (both real and in mindset) shitting on popular games for shits, giggles, attention and reactions.
Don't forget opening topics about it to ask if everyone feels like you.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

xenoblade_2_field_skills_guide.jpg

Need to open the menu and shuffle the party every time you meet the field skill. And then you forgot which skill need to be at certain level and you have to test the field skill again to check it....
If I have a lapse in playing this game, even if it's as little as 3 days, I have to read up on the mechanics again as the game does such a poor job with tutorials.
It's so odd when everything else is top tier execution wise.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The most recent example is probably Starfield for me. Felt like I was clicking through menus more than playing the actual game, I was constantly getting encumbered, my ship was getting filled to the brink with junk and then there were lots of other, but minor, annoyances.

Don’t know which game I’d consider most frustrating, I tend to quit pretty fast if I’m not enjoying myself. RDR2 would be up there as well though. Most Sonic games (Sonic Boom is probably among the worst games I’ve ever played, for example). Super Mario Sunshine could also be very frustrating at times, especially that pachinko level - infuriating.

Toots

Gold Member
I noticed some avatar running around me, shooting stuff and being in general very annoying.
I thought to myself: it cannot be AI as I see very realistic hands movements (with PSVR2 controllers), he was grabbing stuff realistically and trying to hand it to me.
I tried to ignore for a while this guy, but I couldn't in the long run, he was really annoying and definitely trying to convince me to follow him or whatever.
I'm sorry you had a bad time and i too hate it when devs force multiplayer shit in single player mode but the idea of someone wanting to get away from it all and play in a virtual reality only to be uncompromissingly trolled by some dude chimping out is prodigiously funny to me.
You should have listened and followed him, maybe his van was parked nearby with free candy inside !

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Any modern AAA title that forces me to watch their bland cutscenes and go through walkie-talkie sections.
I hate this so fucking much.
As masterful as both Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided were, I could've done without the bullshit slow walking-and-talking segments at the beginning of both titles.
The former is the worse of the two, as the latter at least starts with a superb mission in a sand covered hotel, showing you how the game works. And Mankind Divided's "West Wing" section is a lot shorter than the one in Human Revolution.

You're not a Sony studio, Eidos. You're better than that. Stop it.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong reply.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

If I have a lapse in playing this game, even if it's as little as 3 days, I have to read up on the mechanics again as the game does such a poor job with tutorials.
It's so odd when everything else is top tier execution wise.
I think one of the biggest weakness of Monolith Soft is the tutorial. Even Xenoblade 1 have some confusing thing like the skill tree.

Yeah, I wanted to replay Xenoblade 2 from new game plus after finishing Xenoblade 3. But when I saw the field skill, I lost my motivation lol

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Frustrating? Recently it has to be Trails into Reverie. nothing but near impossible battles with little areas to grind higher levels.

CeeJay

I don't really get frustrated with games these days. I lived through the 8 bit era and nothing they can throw at me will ever compare to the things we had to deal with back then. If a game frustrates me these days i'll just stop playing it.

However, one thing that i really got frustrated with was the Gameboy Advance. The system had some really good games that you couldn't play anywhere else yet the console was so small and compact in my hands that everytime I played on it for anything longer than a few minutes would give me some really painful, numbing hand cramps. I loved the games but just couldn't physically play them to the standard I really wanted to. And what did Nintendo do to rectify the problem? They brought out the Gameboy Advance Micro!

At no point did i ever hear anyone say that the Gameboy Advance was too big and we needed a smaller one but Nintendo gonna Nintendo!

Final Fantasy 16. There’s a really decent FF game in there somewhere, but all of it was sacrificed for DMC style gameplay, zero exploration, and mindless spectacle. Frustrating.

It’s a good game, and has the soul of a great FF game. But the combat, lack of RPG elements, and MMO style structure really sell the end result short. If it had a FF7R battle system, any equipment that was meaningful, and the quests weren’t just running around between fights and dialogue dumps, it could be a 10/10 game and FF. But as to me it’s a generous 7/10 even with how much I wanted to love it.

Top Bottom