• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the new photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSZ_2196ps.jpg

RSZ_2197ps.jpg

RSZ_2205ps.jpg

AirBrian

Nice stuff, Lucky Forward. Looks like you had a good time on your trip. Regarding this shot:

RSZ_2033ps.jpg

Is some of that smoke from the wildfires? Or were you too far away from that?

Thanks! That shot was just a cloud over the horizon at sunset. I was shooting it for about fifteen minutes, watching the colors change and intensify. Thankfully, there weren't any wildfire problems in New Mexico, they were all going on in Arizona and Utah.

Hyoushi

Lucky Forward said:
Nice stuff Hyoushi! I particularly like the last one with the reflection of the sky in the lake.
Thanks, that's still my best pic to date I think, the others are just quick snaps really.

I just got digital editing suite so I had fun fucking with some of my crappy digicam pics. I'm inquiet awe of a lot of the artistry in this thread btw.

20050727193627_img_5307.jpg

img5648bw4ie.jpg

img57443na.jpg

20050727193653_img_5172.jpg

img56256vr.jpg

there you have it. im no longer doing "fashion" stuff anymore unless i get paid.

from here on out, all my stuff is gonna have a heavy theme, or apear to be a screen shot taken from a movie.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Johnny Nighttrain said:

img5648bw4ie.jpg

img57443na.jpg

img56256vr.jpg

there you have it. im no longer doing "fashion" stuff anymore unless i get paid.

from here on out, all my stuff is gonna have a heavy theme, or apear to be a screen shot taken from a movie.

hahaha, girls ARE urinals! thanks r kelly!

lets start another thread, and make a rule that all images MUST BE RESIZED to 800x600 or LESS

Waychel

Banned
Johnny Nighttrain said:

img5648bw4ie.jpg

img57443na.jpg

img56256vr.jpg

Whoa, you mean that you actually took those? I love the black and white one of the girl leaning by the toilet and the two guys about to kiss in front of the broken mirror. Amazing stuff. o_o

Litigation Manuel said:
Lucky Forward, where in New Mexico did you take these? It didn't happen to be Philmont, did it?

Yes, it was. My 15-year old nephew's scout group was going out there, and my brother invited me along. We did an 11 day trek.

aoi tsuki

Futureman said:
What is lomo?
They're cheap cameras each with a special effect, like the one camera with built in gel filters for the flash. The output looks patentedly "artsy", though i'd say not as good as your shots with your A1. For the most part, most of the Lomo effects can be recreated with a variety of filters, lenses, films, and various camera settings.

Lucky Forward said:
Yes, it was. My 15-year old nephew's scout group was going out there, and my brother invited me along. We did an 11 day trek.
I went out there a few years ago. Got sick during part of it, had to go to the sick camp, but still saw some gorgeous scenery. Did you go through the southern part? That's where I went and some of those pictures look very familiar.

Waychel said:
Whoa, you mean that you actually took those? I love the black and white one of the girl leaning by the toilet and the two guys about to kiss in front of the broken mirror. Amazing stuff. o_o
thanks. appreciate it.

AirBrian said:
A couple of sky pics:

DSC_0499.jpg
this one is gorgeous.

i would totally crop it, and make it only the bottom half. it'll focus a lot more on all the beautiful colors, and it'll be panaoramic to boot. although i sort of have a thing for panoramic shots.

but yeah, as it is, it's gorgeous. although i really think making it the bottom half only would make it a lot better.

oh, and boost the contrast a tiny tad bit.

my 2 cents.

example: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/431/airbrian7be.jpg

in any case, this is my favorite pic in this thread so far.

AirBrian

Johnny Nighttrain said:
this one is gorgeous.

i would totally crop it, and make it only the bottom half. it'll focus a lot more on all the beautiful colors, and it'll be panaoramic to boot. although i sort of have a thing for panoramic shots.

but yeah, as it is, it's gorgeous. although i really think making it the bottom half only would make it a lot better.

oh, and boost the contrast a tiny tad bit.

my 2 cents.

example: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/431/airbrian7be.jpg

in any case, this is my favorite pic in this thread so far.
Yeah, I do like it cropped too. You lose a little of the color spectrum from above sky, but it puts more focus on the cloud. Very nice.

Is this better?

dsc04991bk.jpg

Litigation Manuel said:
I went out there a few years ago. Got sick during part of it, had to go to the sick camp, but still saw some gorgeous scenery. Did you go through the southern part? That's where I went and some of those pictures look very familiar.

Yes, we were in the mid- to southern region. The locations for my shots on page 4 were:

1. On the way from Aspen Springs to Cypher Mine.
2. Near Deer Lake.
3. View from Commanche Peak.
4. Meadow at Beaubien Ranch.
5. On the way up the Tooth of Time.
6. Sunset from Commanche Peak.
7. Sunset at Deer Lake.

First time in one of these... well here's what I've been up to. Forgiveness please, it's just a Powershot

goodshit079.jpg

goodshit071.jpg

goodshit183.jpg

goodshit075.jpg

goodshit063.jpg

mybeautifulbluesky.jpg

The last one looks pretty bad at that size, but next to the fire pit it's my favorite

Mr. Spinnington, you really need to resize your pics before you post them here, they're just too big to take in all at once. Try making them no larger than 800 pixels wide.

olimario

Banned
I want to say that Futureman's work is absolutely perfect. I'd love to see what he could do with a good film camera.
I also love Waychel's bird picture.

Here's a crappy shot of a grasshopper I saw.
Any clue on how to get better Black and White quality with my Sony f717?

grasshopper3pu.jpg

some new stuff from today.

i know i said i'd stop doing fashion, but i saw a couple pics recently that sorta made me rethink what fashion shoots can be.

anyways...

20050813000642_img_5994.jpg

20050813002332_img_6060.jpg

20050812053831_img_3034.jpg

i also just re-did my website. feedback on the new layout would be greatly appreciated.

www.phantomile.biz

Timen

A while ago I did a website for some photographer (every day stuff, weddings and such) but they wanted some kind of portfolio next to their standard web-shop so I came up with this, remember this was made to appeal to people who think photography is about pretty pictures and a bad picture is someone having their eyes closed. ( http://www.fotowiersma.nl/studio )

if you're keeping your current lay out, i'm suggesting te following;

- Let people see just one photo at a time this will cause people to concentrate more on your photo rather than let their eyes "scan" te screen for a good picture to look at.

- You can use preview thumbnails where the thumbnail is nothing more than a small cutout of the original picture.

- Frame all your pictures in the same way, I bet you'd rather use watermarks but you could also create a dynamic watermark in flash for example (fading in and out) your profile currently consists of a pretty average shot of yourself and some interests, you could also show your interests trough photography for instance.

maybe more later

olimario

Banned
I wasn't trying to be artistic or do anything amazing with this next picture.
This spider web caught my eye and I thought it was really cool, so I'm sharing.

deadbugs2nl.jpg

Sophos

Amazing work, guys. There's some real talented ppl here!
I feel kinda ashamed of posting my pics here, but it's all about the fun, isn't it?
All pics by me and my trusted Powershot A75.

fotolog18.jpg

"Dois centavos", which means "two cents".

00_fotolog_orkut5.jpg

I like the drop.

fotolog30.jpg

Speaking of drops...

fotolog97.jpg

Love the "ringlet" on the center of the cup.

fotolog136.jpg

My shower.

fotolog31.jpg

"Centro Dragão do Mar de Arte e Cultura", an art center.

fotolog108.jpg

My chubby fingers.

fotolog137.jpg

A friend of mine.

fotolog144.jpg

Policeman taking a break.

fotolog172.jpg

fotolog158.jpg

A spider. I don't like spiders very much, truth be told.

fotolog36.jpg

Simple, but again, I like it.

fotolog49.jpg

Playing with light.

fotolog127.jpg

Fim.
(the end)

Sho Nuff

Banned
Yay this thread got bumped again!

I went back to America and took pix

28246381_60e64ca2c8.jpg

On the plane...gotta love it when they shut off the lights

31335750_01017aaff4.jpg

Some old buddies of mine

34201377_5b38baa0c5.jpg

On the train

34206927_ece8a77bac.jpg

Philly Fisheye

34204284_a71ba2e41b.jpg

Dork patrol!

32158790_ff1b44b8d5.jpg

Another friend. (BTW this was under friggin extreme conditions -- 30mm@F1.4 ISO3200)

I've become really interested in wide angle lenses, as going wide is quite difficult on DSLRs due to 1.6x crop factors.

Sho Nuff

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
Which Digital Rebel did you own and how would you compare it to your 20D? After reading reviews (and playing with one in-store) i think i've settled on the Digital Rebel XT (body only) over the 20D. The money i save in going with the XT without the stock lens will get me a couple of decent lenses, and a few accessories.

Sorry to ignore you like a douche until now --

I used to use the original 300D. I upgraded to the 20D not for the megapixels, but for the speed/durability of it -- I do a lot of dance/sports/action photography in extreme lowlight, and I need 5fps and the utterly fucking awesome AF of the 20D to pull me through. (Not to mention magnesium body, arrrrrhrrrr)

Going with the Rebel XT is a great choice though -- lenses are what matter and your image quality should be on par with the 20D. Plus you save a ton of cash to buy more glass :D

olimario

Banned
How much is the 20D?
THat last pic of the girl is insane. Had I snapped that with my camera it would be dark and grainy as hell or it wouldn't be sharp.

Also, here is my godson
blakelee4fh.jpg

the lighting was great

Sho Nuff

Banned
olimario said:
How much is the 20D?
THat last pic of the girl is insane. Had I snapped that with my camera it would be dark and grainy as hell or it wouldn't be sharp.

Well, keep in mind that 3200 is going to require some noise cleanup (I used Noiseware to remove the noise after level fixing), especially if the picture isn't properly exposed. I'd say that the noise at ISO3200 on the 20D is about equal to the noise in ANY picture on my old Cybershot :D

I can comfortably shoot up to about ISO800 on the 20D before I get noticeable noise.

I think the 20D is $1700 in the US. I would recommend skipping on the kit lens and picking up a Sigma 24-60 2.8 EX DG for a midrange zoom, and a Canon 50mm 1.8 for lowlight/portraits. I used that combo for about a year until I started splurging on fisheyes and shit. :)

However, if you're willing to deal with a smaller, plasticy body, 3fps instead of 5fps, and a little slower autofocus, I would HIGHLY recommend buying the Digital Rebel XT; as long as you expose correctly you should be getting the same images as a 20D. And you save a shitload of money too.

This past week I got out to Baltimore Ravens training camp in Westminster, Maryland and took these shots with my Canon 20D and 100-400L lens. I’m also posting a bunch of Ravens shots on the NFL Offseason sticky thread (pg. 19).

Quarterback Kyle Boller prepares to throw as coach Brian Billick looks on:
RSZ_3012ps.jpg

First round draft pick Mark Clayton snares a pass:
RSZ_2803ps.jpg

Kicker Matt Stover with Billick:
RSZ_2666ps.jpg

Ray Lewis, Rod Green, Walter Curry, and Dwan Edwards take a break:
RSZ_3006ps.jpg

Matt Stover boots a field goal:
RSZ_2901ps.jpg

Billick instructs his offense:
RSZ_2999ps.jpg

Kyle Boller:
RSZ_3063ps.jpg

Deion Sanders heads to the sideline to sign some autographs:
RSZ_3139ps.jpg

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Just got my first camera (Sony P200) yesterday

Here is my favorite pic yet (my mom & my sis drinking a coffee in my "room")

DSC00102.JPG

I use my camcorder Raynox semi-fisheyes lens (you can't attach them together i just put the lens before the camera)

The pic is slighly blurry (low light/no flash). Plus the P200 seems to be sensitive to the slightest movement. If I don't want to use the flash (not a big fan of flash), I better start to fiddle with all the parameters to understand how to get the best of camera.

Chipopo

Banned
Wow, you guys are really something else. Amazing work. I picked up a decent digital camera a couple months ago simply for hobbies sake, but viewing this thread entices me to take it to the next level. I guess the first step would be to get a nicer lens. And then some artistic vision.

vasheesht0277cf.jpg

vasheesht0325tb.jpg

vasheesht063copy1lm.jpg

vasheesht2600qe.jpg

vasheesht405copy9xc.jpg

vasheesht2519copy2vp.jpg

vasheesht188copy1zj.jpg

vasheesht263copy6af.jpg

vasheesht373copy6nx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom