• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the new photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

samusx

Banned
I took this and many others about 1 1/2 weeks ago at Universal Studios Japan.

DSC00235.jpg

I have another one where I photoshoped his eyes glowing just like the movie, but I havn't uploaded it.

Jonk

Johnny, what type of camera do you use. I have been saving up to get a new camera and I am looking for something that is almost porfessional but not at a professional price.

BTW, on a side note, I think Mr. T-100 needs braces. That is all. :D

the former 60% of pictures on my site where shot with a canon powershot a75. it's what i used for the first 2 months.

this last month (and the latter 40% of the pictures up on my site) i shot with a canon rebel xt.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Awesome stuff everyone.

This is probably such a dumb question, but those of you with DSLRs, do you get your photos developed at regular places?

AirBrian

Great King Bowser said:
Awesome stuff everyone.

This is probably such a dumb question, but those of you with DSLRs, do you get your photos developed at regular places?
Yep. I've gotten a few pics developed at my local Wal-Mart.

BTW, did you get my PM and did you buy anything yet?

HokieJoe

These are some older pics of a little dog I used to have. Her name was Chloe. Notice the blue in her left eye. These were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 800 (2Mpixel).

Chloe2.jpg

Chloe4.jpg

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
AirBrian said:
Yep. I've gotten a few pics developed at my local Wal-Mart.

BTW, did you get my PM and did you buy anything yet?

Yeah sorry about the lack of a reply. Been away for a while, and no D70 for me. Mainly because my flight got cancelled, so whether I was even going on holiday was up in the air. But turns out it's all green-lighted again. So I'll hopefully have the camera in time, just less time to get accustomed to it before flying out. :lol

AirBrian

sp0rsk said:
First i made a channel mixer adjustment layer at 30red 30green 40blue (monochrome)

then i copied the image and pasted it on top with a color burn layer property. Since that makes it too dark i used curves on the top image to brighten it and voila.
I'll have to try that. Whenever I try to do a B&W conversion, my pics always turn out flat. Of course, I'm very new to PhotoShop and don't have much experience with layers and all that.

Great King Bowser said:
Yeah sorry about the lack of a reply. Been away for a while, and no D70 for me. Mainly because my flight got cancelled, so whether I was even going on holiday was up in the air. But turns out it's all green-lighted again. So I'll hopefully have the camera in time, just less time to get accustomed to it before flying out. :lol
No worries. :) Well, at least you'll have a long flight to read the manual, right? :lol

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
AirBrian, the D70 (non-S) seems to have finally been discontinued here in the UK, in that I can't find anyone still stocking them. And the D70S is now out of my price range.

I'm looking to get a Canon EOS 350D instead now.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
So I got that Canon EOS 350D today as I couldn't find a D70 anywhere.

Took a few random photos in my garden, not great but it was fun to experiment. Anyone care to offer some advice/critique, not forgetting this is the first time I've wrapped my hands around any SLR ever. Where can I learn about post-processing techniques in Photoshop as well?

7021994.JPG

7287451.JPG

olimario

Banned
I'm looking to buy a new digital camera by the end of the year. I have somebody ready to my my Sony Cybershot f717 and I was wondering what I should get.
When does a new iteration of the Digital Rebel series hit and which is best now?

Heres a shot near sunset at my old place
homeback0pk.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really don't have anything good, but I do have a few handy pics uploaded.

I do kinda like this first shot, though...

DSC00392.JPG

fan.jpg

city4.jpg

Kinda pretty thanks to the sky (blurry thanks to me screwing up a setting on the camera)...
city3.jpg

city2.jpg

olimario

Banned
What kind of camera do you have, dark?
And where did you take those shots?

I understand if you like the originals better, but I photoshopped a couple I really loved.

chop7qx.jpg

chop22bu.jpg

It's like putting on a pair of glasses comparing them to the originals.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, the original resolution was like 3072 x 2304 (or the slightly lower 16:9 resolution, depending on the shot)...I already downsized them a bit. That's just what I had on the server...

Let's see, the first pic is from Hiroshima, the fan is from a random fan :p, the third pic is from Nagoya (very beautiful city), and the last two are from Tokyo (in Shinjuku). I was kinda all over the place.

As for the camera, it's a Sony P200.

Features...

Basic Features

7.2-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions of 3,072 x 2,304 pixels.
3x zoom lens (equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera).
2x digital "Precision" zoom; up to 14x "Smart" Zoom (at VGA resolution).
Real-image optical viewfinder.
2.0-inch color LCD monitor.
Mostly automatic exposure control, but includes Manual mode.
Built-in flash with five modes and an intensity adjustment.
Sony Memory Stick storage (32MB card included).
USB computer connection.
InfoLITHIUM battery system (AC adapter included).
Software for Mac and PC.

Special Features

Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Candle, "Soft Snap", Landscape, High Speed Shutter, Beach, Snow, and Fireworks modes
Movie (with sound) recording mode.
Multi-Burst slow motion mode and Burst high speed mode.
Email (VGA) resolution mode.
Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 30 seconds depending on the exposure mode (with automatic Noise Reduction below 1/6 second).
Aperture range of f/2.8 to f/5.6.
Creative Picture Effects menu.
Image Sharpness, Saturation, and Contrast adjustments.
Self-timer for delayed shutter release.
Macro (close-up) lens adjustment.
Spot, Multi, and Center-Weighted metering modes.
Adjustable AF area and three AF modes.
Auto ISO setting or 100, 200, and 400 ISO equivalents.
White balance (color) adjustment with six options.
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) and PictBridge printing compatibility.

I dunno if you're interested or not, but here are some additional pictures...

pic3.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

Thought this was funny...

pic6.jpg

Oh, and here's a pic of my friend's family (he's taking the picture). I'm standing next to the mailbox in the back (with the obvious watch sticking out). The swiss guy next to me was obviously with us as well.

pic7.jpg

AirBrian

Great King Bowser said:
AirBrian, the D70 (non-S) seems to have finally been discontinued here in the UK, in that I can't find anyone still stocking them. And the D70S is now out of my price range.

I'm looking to get a Canon EOS 350D instead now.
Great King Bowser said:
So I got that Canon EOS 350D today as I couldn't find a D70 anywhere.

Took a few random photos in my garden, not great but it was fun to experiment. Anyone care to offer some advice/critique, not forgetting this is the first time I've wrapped my hands around any SLR ever. Where can I learn about post-processing techniques in Photoshop as well?

7021994.JPG

7287451.JPG
Congrats on the camera. Both cameras are amazing -- you can't go wrong with either!

Some post-processing links:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
http://www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/digital-workflow.shtml

AirBrian

olimario said:
I'm looking to buy a new digital camera by the end of the year. I have somebody ready to my my Sony Cybershot f717 and I was wondering what I should get.
When does a new iteration of the Digital Rebel series hit and which is best now?

Heres a shot near sunset at my old place
homeback0pk.jpg
The XT/350D was just released (Feb?), so I doubt anything new will hit the market this year (in the U.S. at least). What exactly are you looking for in a camera? DSLR entry? DSLR advanced? P&S advanced? Since you asked about the DigiRebel, I'll assume DSLR entry. I'd say the two best on the market right now are the D70/D70s and the XT. Both are exceptional cameras -- you can't go wrong with either. Be warned though, if you lurk around some camera forums, there are Nikon and Canon fanboys who love to rag on the other.

My advice: get out there and play with the cameras. Go to your local camera shop and spend a good amount of time with the cameras. Practice changing the settings, practice taking shots vertical as well as normal, practice with different lenses you might purchase in the future. Do you like having two command dials like the Nikon, or one command dial like the Canon? Is size and weight important? How about how solid the camera feels? You will be making a big investment; make sure you purchase what fits your needs.

Some key D70/D70s advantages:

- faster flash-sync
- wider shutter speed range
- faster frames/second

Some key XT/350D advantages:

- has ISO 100
- lighter and smaller than D70
- cheaper than D70

Some comparisons (although the pricing info is outdated):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page21.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ide&cameras=canon_eos350d,nikon_d70s&show=all

olimario

Banned
I'm liking the ISO settings on the XT. Shutter speed isn't a huge issue for me. I've made due with what I've had. I do like the the XT is 8mp instead of 6.

Can you answer this for me? On it's base setting, how grainy are each in low light situations? If I have a tripod and I mess with the settings enough, my Cybershot f717 has very little grain, but I want to be able to capture movement clearly in low light.

AirBrian

olimario said:
I'm liking the ISO settings on the XT. Shutter speed isn't a huge issue for me. I've made due with what I've had. I do like the the XT is 8mp instead of 6.

Can you answer this for me? On it's base setting, how grainy are each in low light situations? If I have a tripod and I mess with the settings enough, my Cybershot f717 has very little grain, but I want to be able to capture movement clearly in low light.
Don't get caught up in the 6 vs. 8 MP marketing debate. Here's a decent article explaining it:

http://buy-n-shoot.com/photography-tips9.asp

In low-light, both should be better than the CyberShot (especially with a tripod). In regards to the ISO, that's a huge debate. You will find arguments on both sides, and tons of articles about the advantages/disadvantages of ISO 200 + 1/500 flash-sync vs. ISO 100 + 1/250 flash-sync (technically speaking, they will produce the same exposure). I've read a lot that the Canon is slightly better in the lower ISOs, whereas the Nikon is slightly better in the higher ISOs. Figure out what conditions you'll shoot in the most, and use that to decide.

olimario

Banned
So you're telling me the differences are minor between the two cameras. One is a lot cheaper than the other, though.
www.dooce.com uses a d70 and I love her pictures, but they seem grainy a lot of the time. A problem I don't have in normal light with my cybershot.

07_08_2005.jpg
07_01_2005.jpg

AirBrian

Yes, they are both very comparable. However, I wouldn't consider $60 (after the MIB) a big price difference.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=371191&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=381879&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Yeah, her pictures do seem grainy. I don't know, most of my shots are not that grainy (look at the other D70 users in this thread too). Maybe that's the style she's going for...? Have any EXIF data for her pics?

Some other random D70 pics (not mine):

http://www.pbase.com/chefziggy/nikond70
http://www.pbase.com/afaizal/root
http://www.pbase.com/northflyboy/root
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box
http://www.pbase.com/davexl

HokieJoe

Here's a pic I took of the last good snow we had here.

Because of the street light, there was some nasty green fuzz around the big conifer in the background, so I decided to duotone it.

Feb2004Snow2.jpg

HokieJoe

olimario said:
So you're telling me the differences are minor between the two cameras. One is a lot cheaper than the other, though.

oli, Imaging Resource has a Comparometer where you can guage the D70S and the XT side-by-side here:

Comparometer

To my eye, at least in Musicians shot, the Nikon is a little grainier; but seems to hold it's own pretty well overall in the other pictures. Perhaps the Nikon has a more agressive sharpening algorithm; but I can't imagine that he would've taken the pictures in anything but RAW format, and then converted to jpeg via software. I like the Nikon's color balance a little better.

BTW, cool looking pup:
07_08_2005.jpg

HokieJoe

Here's a pretty neat pic that my buddy from work took with his Digital Rebel. It was a fairly dark shot, and he didn't have a tripod, so there's a fair amount of grain in the shot.

OHCR33-072904002copy.jpg

Woop! He's got the shirt on! The only one he ever wears!
pic7.jpg

I'm not a photographer, I just own a camera to take macros of electronics.

Nonetheless...

DawsonPool-800.jpg

ToyCars-800.jpg

MailboxFlowers-800.jpg

GeckoGrass-800.jpg

Chony

Scouting locations (with angles) for a film I am working on (not the best photographs, was in a hurry)

No editing at all.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Beginning to get to grips with the camera now. :lol

A few more pictures to share:

IMG_0147%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0146%20(Medium).JPG

A few others are here

Not done any post processing on any of them except the two above which I just messed with the white balance a little. Really need to learn, thanks for the links AirBrian, I felt bad for seemingly stabbing you in the back by going for a Canon. :lol

Gek54

HokieJoe said:
Here's a pic I took of the last good snow we had here.

Because of the street light, there was some nasty green fuzz around the big conifer in the background, so I decided to duotone it.

Feb2004Snow2.jpg

Hello wallpaper, thats awesome.

OLIMARIO: get yourself the xt man, it's fuckin awesome. to answer your grainy picture question, on the XT, it's not something i've experienced yet.

putting some more random stuff up just cause...
img9904as8gm.jpg

img9908bwasdsa5ry.jpg

i took this yesterday. it's arguably the most disturbing picture i've taken.
img99589ph.jpg

anyways, i have a question for some of you guys. what do you guys know about painting with light? i've been trying it out recently, and these are the kinds of results that im getting (30 second exposures)

img98840ju.jpg

20050509191645firestation1sm5q.jpg

was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on the best ways to do it with a flash light since i don't always have a good flash that i can use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tempted by the 350D. I have a Sony V1 (smaller replacement for my F717, lovely camera). I could leave that for outings etc or get a small snappy cam like the P200, and a DLSR for more considered stuff.

AirBrian

Great King Bowser said:
Beginning to get to grips with the camera now. :lol

A few more pictures to share:

IMG_0147%20(Medium).JPG

IMG_0146%20(Medium).JPG

A few others are here

Not done any post processing on any of them except the two above which I just messed with the white balance a little. Really need to learn, thanks for the links AirBrian, I felt bad for seemingly stabbing you in the back by going for a Canon. :lol
:lol Nah, no stabbing involved -- I'm just glad you got a DSLR in time for your trip (assuming it's still on). :)

BTW, cool looking dog.

AirBrian

Johnny Nighttrain said:
anyways, i have a question for some of you guys. what do you guys know about painting with light? i've been trying it out recently, and these are the kinds of results that im getting (30 second exposures)

was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on the best ways to do it with a flash light since i don't always have a good flash that i can use.
I've tried it a few times -- it's hard! I used bulb mode and released the shutter with a remote. I've tried a couple of flashlights: a maglight and a LED flashlight. When I focused the maglight to a thin beam, it worked better than when dispursed, but the LED flashlight worked the best. My problem is not knowing how fast or slow to go. I've found the slower the better, but I guess it depends on other conditions as well. I don't have any samples with me now, but I'll find a couple when I get home tonight.

olimario

Banned
Johnny-
How much post processing do you do?
Do you have a wide angle lens for your camera? If so, how much do then run?
How often to you take your pictures in the camera's default mode?

Thanks

mrklaw said:
20050601034258_clipboard09.jpg

Is that guys arse hanging out of his trousers?
yeah. he was passed out though so i doubt he realized it.
olimario said:
Johnny-
How much post processing do you do?
Do you have a wide angle lens for your camera? If so, how much do then run?
How often to you take your pictures in the camera's default mode?

Thanks
post processing. at most i'll boost the contrast a bit, or make a picture black and white. oh, and cropping. assuming that's what you mean by post processing.

the camera comes with a wide angle lens (18-55mm), and it's great. if you're reffering to a panoramic lens, um, no i don't have one. i'd like one very much, but the lens that comes with the camera is quite adequate, and this is coming from someone who loves doing panoramic shots. fish eye lens is definitely the next type of lens im gonna get.

i never take pictures in the default mode. with an xt, you have complete control over the picture. so yeah, even though there's an automatic setting, i mean, using it would sort of just be a waste of the camera if you ask me. i always shoot in apeture mode, or complete manual. if you're gonna shoot in automatic, i'd imagine any $250+ camera will get the job done for your needs. about half the stuff up on my site i shot with a canon powershot a75 (3 mega pixel) in automatic mode. that thing can't go for more than $200.

olimario

Banned
Excellent.
I've found with my Cybershot that I can mess with it as much as I want, but in sunlight I won't find a better setting than the default one. Any other lighting, though, and I have to play with the settings.

I may go with the XT, but not for awhile. Hopefully the price will drop over the next year and I can save up some money.

costco has them for $950.00 right now. that's the cheapest i've seen it. they're a great place to get electronics from since their return policy is so liberal. i broke the LCD screen on my powershot, and went to return it, got my money back no questions asked. the place is great in that sense, and people even use them as a rental service because of their no questions asked return policy.

in any case, i strongly recomend it, but not if you're just gonna shoot in automatic mode. this is a camera that's made to be harnessed by the photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom