• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Menace at 20: was the infamous prequel actually that bad?

Bullet Club

tl;dr: It's still shit

The Phantom Menace at 20: was the infamous prequel actually that bad?

It’s 20 years since George Lucas outraged fans, derailed careers and introduced us to Jar Jar Binks. Is it time to forgive him?

It is hard to believe that The Phantom Menace is 20 years old this year. In the decades since we first met Jar Jar Binks, Anakin Skywalker and those weird cod-Japanese blokes from the Trade Federation, fans have found umpteen new targets to obsess over – not least the current trilogy of Star Wars movies, overseen by Lucasfilm’s not-so-new owner Disney.

These days super-fan outrage – such as that currently aimed at the final season of Game of Thrones – has become the norm. But it was Episode I that perhaps ushered in the era of fan power, of amateur bloggers capable of turning an entire franchise on its head, of careers and lives derailed (in some cases before they even got going), of CGI-phobia and anti-marketing wrath.

To this day it is astounding that Lucas himself doesn’t understand what went wrong. The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy have much in common: both are set in a fantasy galaxy populated by wise, laser-wielding space monks and exotic extra terrestrials. Both feature youthful protagonists whose characters go on a three-movie journey. But where 1977’s Star Wars and its sequels ushered in the blockbuster era and awakened Hollywood to the potential of boys’ own space opera, the prequels destroyed Lucas’s reputation as a film-maker.

Two decades on, can we see the movie in a different light? Those pod-racing scenes on Tatooine are still thrilling, Liam Neeson’s Qui-Gon Jinn would surely make most acolytes’ list of the top five Jedis, and his battles with Darth Maul feature some of the finest lightsaber play in the saga. Ewan McGregor is perfectly serviceable as the young Obi-Wan and Natalie Portman’s Padme Amidala is given some splendid outfits. Ian McDiarmid is compelling as Senator Palpatine, the future evil emperor. The scene in which Qui-Gonn and his apprentice fend off laser-fire from the Federation’s Droideka using only their lightsabers has rarely been equalled in Star Wars.

Moreover, the original trilogy left so many questions unanswered that a prequel series felt like the logical next step. How did Anakin fall to the dark side? What was the galaxy like before the Empire raised its flags? How did the Jedi go about their business as guardians of peace and justice for an entire civilisation?

The Phantom Menace answers all these questions, and it does so plausibly. There is a pleasing narrative arc from our first encounter with the young Anakin to his final transformation into Vader. Lucas had thought all this stuff through, and the prequels make sense of the world we saw in the original trilogy.

The problem is that they also remove much of the sense of mystery and enigma that surrounded those early films, as well as the classic adventure-serial veneer that made them so alluring. The Phantom Menace’s preference for digital cityscapes over unearthly terrain, and CGI aliens over charming puppetry, marked it out from its predecessors. Lucas’s determination to render the political bureaucracy in excruciating detail meant endless scenes of the Galactic Senate and tedious discussions at the Jedi Council.

No six-year-old ever asked for scenes like this. It is as if Lucas could not decide if he wanted to deliver an Asimovian tale of a civilisation in decay or record-breaking merchandise sales. Perhaps that was why he felt the need to introduce Jar Jar, as a kind of comic relief apologia for all that grownup chat. If so, it’s fair to say the ploy failed.

Nor should it be forgotten that this is also the movie that managed to make Samuel L Jackson boring and distinctly uncool (despite the purple lightsaber), introduced the preposterous concept of midichloreans to “explain” the Force (as if space magic needed explaining), and gave us such enduring characters as Gardulla the Hutt, Watto the slave owner and Jar Jar’s pal Boss Nass. So no: it is not time to forgive Lucas for his crimes against cinema, and it probably won’t be even in another 20 years.

Source: The Guardian

I was 15 or so at the time this came out. My buddy loved star wars growing up and convinced me to go to the midnight viewing of it the day it came out. I'm like shit yeah let's do this. We got right baked and lined up....for like two hours. There were all these people dressed up in star wars gear and that was hilarious.

My buddy was amped man I'm telling you. Then we watched it and I've never seen such a peak excitement come crashing down so hard in the span of 2 hours. It was bad. And the weed high was gone by the first 40 minutes thanks to the epic line we waited in which bummed me out. I needed something to get through that horseshit.

tl;dr I should've went and seen The Mummy starting Brandon Fraser instead

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It was alright. Jar Jar was lame and the RLM videos were entertaining but at some point it felt like if MST3K characters started picking apart the construction of all the low budget space movies they do. People take these things too seriously.

On rewatch the prequels have vastly improved in standing. I have to commend George Lucas for actually sticking to his guns and not giving fans the Vader BJ they wanted. He ended up creating something new and, while flawed, very interesting

It was also interesting to later read about the history of writing Star Wars and how many of the prequel ideas were in fact decades old. The space cops depiction of the Jedi fits here as well, as this is how they were originally conceived by Lucas, before Empire came out and fans started taking it a little too seriously. Luke’s realization that the Jedi were flawed in TLJ was already covered, it as more or less the point of the prequels

It is kinda sad how deep a dive the series has taken since then, just in visuals alone. Phantom Menace is so rich with pulp era sci fi visuals, everything now looks like a fan film w as little production as possible

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
"People don't like TPM just like they don't like the last season of GoT. But some scenes were good and some were bad. But overall the bad is really bad so yeah, the movie sucks"
-Pretty much the whole article without wasting so many words.

It might have had some worth if it talked about the Plinkett review, one of the most well known critiques on TPM and one pretty much anyone on the internet will point to to explain why the movie sucks. What a lazy, pointless article.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lucas’s determination to render the political bureaucracy in excruciating detail meant endless scenes of the Galactic Senate and tedious discussions at the Jedi Council.

No six-year-old ever asked for scenes like this. It is as if Lucas could not decide if he wanted to deliver an Asimovian tale of a civilisation in decay

This writer is misinformed, Lucas always said the prequels will be a different style and more like a costume drama, he said this in interviews going back to the late 70s. the idea to give Obi Wan a backstory predated even the first sequel

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, it actually was that bad. It was amazing when I was 7 years old, for sure, but then you become an adult and watch it again and realise that all life is suffering.

Wasn't as bad as 2, though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up, watched the movies dozens of times and had the action figures. The Phantom Menace shit on all of that.

My wife and I went to the theaters when they re-released the 3D version. We walked out after 30 minutes because we were bored out of our minds. This movie is the definition of garbage.

kunonabi

Still love the TPM as much as I did when it I saw it for the first time in high school. It's isn't perfect by any stretch but the production design, music, and some of the smaller moments are still top notch. From a purely visual perspective it may be my favorite SW film.

It certainly has its problems but it never deserved the outright vitriol it got.

I really don't like Binks and some of the Anakin plot is dubious (mostly the ending and the robot), but the movie is fine.
I saw it in 1999 and thought it was boring but interesting. I saw it a couple more times at home and then in 3D. The 3D release made me realise what an impressive spectacle it is on a huge screen.

I will defend the prequels until the day I die, and I think most of the people who continually shit on them are just jumping on a dumpster bandwagon to virtue signal a pathetic attempt at easy geek cred.

These movies have issues with the moment to moment stuff - specific lines, poor acting choices, awkward pacing - but Star Wars was never about the moment to moment stuff. Star Wars wasn't just the first three movies. It was the first three movie, the Timothy Zahn books (and everything afterwards), the West End Games RPGs, the video games, the toys, the bath towels and lunchboxes - Star Wars was a giant shared experience that was just bursting with stuff.

And the prequels did something that shouldn't have been possible. It made that stuff better. The universe in the prequels is more expansive and deep, with more going on. More legends, more heroes, more planets, to history - and despite being stylistically different from the original trilogy, it meshed well with it, allowing things like The Clone Wars tv series to exist (something which takes parts from the prequels and OT and creates something that feels like it belongs to both). When you played Star Wars Galaxies and took a ship from Theed to Tatooine, that didn't feel weird or out of place at all. It was all, unequivocally Star Wars.

If you look at New Star Wars, it doesn't do that. The moment to moment stuff is ALL it has. It doesn't contribute to the Star Wars experience at all. Look at Force Awakens. The new planets are indistinguishable from the old planets, the villains are indistinguishable from the old villains, the space ships are indistinguishable from the old space ships. Hell, the plot is indistinguishable from the old plot. It's the same old shit, only much worse. It isn't Star Wars. It is Star Wars fan fiction, by a Mary Sue author (featuring a Mary Sue character) who doesn't have the creativity or vision to expand on what's there, only insert themselves into it in a pathetic attempt to conquer and own it.

People who shit on the prequels are victims of their own hype. Everybody had their own idea of what the next Star Wars should be, and there was no way that any movie, ever, would live up to it. By time has been extremely kind to the prequels, showing that once the hype has died down, everything in them has had the staying power to keep Star Wars going for its second twenty year period. Disney is going to kill it and forcibly reanimate its corpse for its third.

Just remember. Star Wars isn't about Anakin hating sand. It's about Anakin hating himself. It comes out awkward and silly, but the sentiment is still there. It makes sense. It works. In an almost poetic turn of events, Star Wars turned into the ugly nerd who is really kind and smart, but which nobody will give the time of day to. But you get to know the real him and you'll never find a better human being. He's loyal and honest, smart and funny, and sincere in everything he does - but his dating prospects are bit tough. Disney's Star Wars is a rich trust fund kid - good looking, drives nice cars, but is utterly shallow, is mean to those around him, and doesn't understand the value of loyalty and hard work. New Star Wars is the Donald Trump of Star Wars.

cr0w

Old Member
The prequels have the same issues the OT does, there were just fewer people around able to tell Lucas no when he wanted to do something stupid. They still fit in perfectly with the OT because of Lucas' guiding hand, for better or worse, which gives them a leg up on the new Disney films.

From my perspective, It was and still is a self indulgent mess that Lucas dropped solely to make a ton of cash off the merchandising. I remember driving two hours to a nearby city with a good theater to catch it with friends on opening night. When it was done we all just got up and left, as we drove home no one had anything nice to say.
I know it's got it's following, you guys can have it.

The prequels have the same issues the OT does, there were just fewer people around able to tell Lucas no when he wanted to do something stupid. They still fit in perfectly with the OT because of Lucas' guiding hand, for better or worse, which gives them a leg up on the new Disney films.
What were the stupid things that Lucas did that people should've told him no to?

#Phonepunk#

Banned

this officially released Making Of documentary is wonderful, possibly better than the final film, even. it's an extremely honest and unflinching look behind the scenes. you can see the panic on the faces of many of the people involved. it's the kind of transparency that we kissed goodbye to in 2012.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
sweet jesus christ i went to youtube to find that making of and see that they are selling a stream of this movie for $17.99

that is like twice the cost of the movie ticket when it saw it in a theater on release. just to watch it on youtube.

Disney really milking their cow for all it's worth

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
IMHO the prequels need to be accepted for what they are: glorious overstuffed world-building documentaries disguised as entertaining movies.

There's never been so much original world-building content stuffed in 6 hours of cinema, and I doubt we will ever see the likes of it again.

That being said I think all 3 are horribly acted and scripted, but the scenes with Jedi kicking ass are still cool.

I will defend the prequels until the day I die, and I think most of the people who continually shit on them are just jumping on a dumpster bandwagon to virtue signal a pathetic attempt at easy geek cred.

These movies have issues with the moment to moment stuff - specific lines, poor acting choices, awkward pacing - but Star Wars was never about the moment to moment stuff. Star Wars wasn't just the first three movies. It was the first three movie, the Timothy Zahn books (and everything afterwards), the West End Games RPGs, the video games, the toys, the bath towels and lunchboxes - Star Wars was a giant shared experience that was just bursting with stuff.

And the prequels did something that shouldn't have been possible. It made that stuff better. The universe in the prequels is more expansive and deep, with more going on. More legends, more heroes, more planets, to history - and despite being stylistically different from the original trilogy, it meshed well with it, allowing things like The Clone Wars tv series to exist (something which takes parts from the prequels and OT and creates something that feels like it belongs to both). When you played Star Wars Galaxies and took a ship from Theed to Tatooine, that didn't feel weird or out of place at all. It was all, unequivocally Star Wars.

If you look at New Star Wars, it doesn't do that. The moment to moment stuff is ALL it has. It doesn't contribute to the Star Wars experience at all. Look at Force Awakens. The new planets are indistinguishable from the old planets, the villains are indistinguishable from the old villains, the space ships are indistinguishable from the old space ships. Hell, the plot is indistinguishable from the old plot. It's the same old shit, only much worse. It isn't Star Wars. It is Star Wars fan fiction, by a Mary Sue author (featuring a Mary Sue character) who doesn't have the creativity or vision to expand on what's there, only insert themselves into it in a pathetic attempt to conquer and own it.

People who shit on the prequels are victims of their own hype. Everybody had their own idea of what the next Star Wars should be, and there was no way that any movie, ever, would live up to it. By time has been extremely kind to the prequels, showing that once the hype has died down, everything in them has had the staying power to keep Star Wars going for its second twenty year period. Disney is going to kill it and forcibly reanimate its corpse for its third.

Just remember. Star Wars isn't about Anakin hating sand. It's about Anakin hating himself. It comes out awkward and silly, but the sentiment is still there. It makes sense. It works. In an almost poetic turn of events, Star Wars turned into the ugly nerd who is really kind and smart, but which nobody will give the time of day to. But you get to know the real him and you'll never find a better human being. He's loyal and honest, smart and funny, and sincere in everything he does - but his dating prospects are bit tough. Disney's Star Wars is a rich trust fund kid - good looking, drives nice cars, but is utterly shallow, is mean to those around him, and doesn't understand the value of loyalty and hard work. New Star Wars is the Donald Trump of Star Wars.

Geek cred? Dude I could give a shit about credibility of any sort, let alone credibility among some nerds. The movie was garbage, embarrassing garbage. It was bad.

Jon Neu

Banned
They were actually the first Star Wars movies I saw. For me the Phantom Menace was good, it was entertaining and had some good characters: Qi Gon, Obi Wan, Padme... I even liked child Anakin, but without a doubt my favourite was:

maxresdefault.jpg

The prequels can have a lot of mistakes, but they are real Star Wars. For some, Watto was just a racist stereotype, but the Toydarian scrap dealer was a technical feat for it's time and showed that a CGI character could have very human qualities.

Watto wasn't a paragon of virtues, he was actually like scrap himself and he learned how to earn his life with other scraps. Yes, he was a slave holder, an usurer and a ludopath, but was hard to not be far worse things while living in Tatooine. You just have to take notice in the difference of treatment he gave to his slaves compared to someone like Jabba, for example.

I found his reunion with Anakin to be kind of touching, when you can perceive that Watto is genuinely glad to see little Anni again.

Watto was a character that in a very small runtime was defined in an impeccable way, giving the character more nuances and charisma than any of the characters of the Disney Wars.

mqdefault.jpg

"Mind tricks don't work on me, only money."

Last edited:

MacReady13

No, it wasn't that bad. Not then and not now. It is indeed different from the original films, but that is ok. I really enjoyed it upon release and I love watching it now.
Articles mentions how TPM favored CGI over puppetry- that is pure crap...

Edit- I should clarify that statement in regards to CGI- TPM was well known to have a large amount of models built for it. Many scenes you'd think of being totally CGI (pod race scene, Amidala's spaceship) a lot of the time are actually miniatures.

TPM is a fine film well worth revisiting and not as bad as many thought and still believe it to be.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
IMHO the prequels need to be accepted for what they are: glorious overstuffed world-building documentaries disguised as entertaining movies.

There's never been so much original world-building content stuffed in 6 hours of cinema, and I doubt we will ever see the likes of it again.

That being said I think all 3 are horribly acted and scripted, but the scenes with Jedi kicking ass are still cool.

yes the more i look back on them, the more they seem less like a failed epic that everyone had imagined since they were kids and more like a new take on the pulp/comic genre formula. nobody was making movies like this, on this scale. this is straight up someone wanting to do their version of pulp 60's sci fi films but with a huge budget. podraces and coliseum battles with Harryhausen style monsters, the Emperor as campy Hammer Horror-style monster mash. the loving tribute from a fan to a number of genres he loves unreservedly and without being self-conscious about it (as everyone is nowadays).

was anyone else making 30's style serial fiction via 60's scifi/monster b-movie explitation in the late 90s? i don't think so. was anyone making movies with digital cameras and using green screen sets & CGI characters? not back then, but they do now, for every movie made by Marvel and many many more. this is all stuff he revolutionized, ways of working that he pioneered, and are now practiced by every film company on the planet.

the fact that the prequels exist at all is kind of a blessing and a curse. Lucas left the series with ROTJ kind of in disgust, it had broken up his marriage, it had taken over his life, sending him to the hospital for a heart attack, and post-SW he dedicated himself to pursuing the Skywalker Ranch dream that had originally driven the film series in the first place.

lots of people act like he was greedy and that is why so many prequels and sequels were planned, but if he was greedy, it was to create Skywalker Ranch. this much was admitted to Kirshnir before filming ESB. Skywalker, and the child companies it spun off, was a film infrastructure for effects and models and puppets and CGI and all the technology that now drives the entire movie industry. ILM and THX alone have done so much for sound and visuals. his companies helped created Pixar, they developed the original CGI that drove the jaw dropping dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. he lobbied to get Howard The Duck made, a much reviled film, that is actually a hilariously thrilling & entertaining Marvel b-movie, made in the very early days when creating a comic book movie was as silly an idea as creating one based on Buck Rogers. when you think of all the infrastructure he has created with his SW-drive wealth, all the technology & knowledge that has changed movies forever from what they were in the 90s, it's really quite a thing to consider. with the prequels Lucas sort of changed the future of film.

ironically it is the fans demand that brought the prequels upon us. fan writers had reached out to him with their ideas for what became the Expanded Universe, Lucas graciously granting other people the right to contribute to canon lore (creating things sometimes featured in prequels, like Coruscant). he gave EU writers the future content so that he could still do the prequels if the opportunity ever came around, for they were already sort of sketched out, at least many characters and ideas had already been designed. SW was not always a huge deal, as crazy as it seems now. the books success at the time was unexpected, and led to more marketing. the success of this & other merchandising efforts in the early 90s led to the Special Edition, the success of which added to previous profit, all of which went towards the prequels. this is how he maintained so much autonomy, he was fueled by the fans. shame they turned on him so much but at least we have a trilogy out of it.

Last edited:
I was 9 years old, the perfect age, I liked it ok, I even liked Jar Jar, but I didn't understand the Trade federation plot line.

I haven't seen it in forever, I also haven't seen Episode 2 and 3 since they were in theaters, I'd have to re-watch them to really have a fair opinion, but I'd say that while you can't knock the Prequels from a visuals and action angle, the dialog and acting was wooden and stiff.

Lucas was really lucky to have found the perfect actors for the OT, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were all charismatic as hell and grounded the movies as well as being able to deliver some of the clunkier lines of dialog as well as anyone else could, this is what the PT lacked.

So maybe they're not that bad, maybe they were a victim of people's hype, but at the same time I don't think you can say they aren't flawed films.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lucas was really lucky to have found the perfect actors for the OT, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher were all charismatic as hell and grounded the movies as well as being able to deliver some of the clunkier lines of dialog as well as anyone else could, this is what the PT lacked.

going back and rewatching, there is a lot of good stuff there that gets overshadowed by the cringey, or more kid-centric, line readings. anything Natalie Portman & Liam Nesson & Ewan McGregor (stacked cast) are all pretty good, i like everything they do. i remember people harping on Portman for the robotic readings but she is a teenage space politician standing up to robot armies - her emotionless, calculated, steely kabuki routine that she gives is both regal and pulp as fuck. i love it.

Last edited:

juliotendo

More entertaining film than The Last Jedi. Sometimes when Phantom Menace is on TBS or TNT I watch it again.

The Last Jedi? Saw it once on Netflix and don’t care to ever see it again.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Samuel Jackson was kind of wasted in this, he looks bored in this. still, he at least had a powerful role. plus he wasn't being humiliated, walking around in leaky suits, getting tasered into submission, and called a dummy.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Darth Maul was the best bit of the film. The rest of it was the hottest garbage kiddie toy porn ever devised.

cryptoadam

Banned
Didn't live up to the hype, but not much different from today's blockbusters. Its on par with mid tier MCU or DC movies.

The big issue with PM was Anakin. There was one reason to make him a kid, and thats because Lucas wanted $$$. In the actual story it makes no sense for him to be 10 years old. Clearly the movie was written in mind with Anakin being Lukes age in ANH, but then GL wanted that Happy Meal money so he deaged Anakin.

What 10 year old can build robots and pod racers, has a rivalry with a Pod racing champ, is allowed to race in what is essentially death races, and for some odd reason Wato keeps this kid around as a slave(even giving him and his mom some really nice digs).

Make Anakin 18 ish, then he can have an actual relationship with Obi Wan, and some actual fun banter. It would also set up the romance with Padme outside of oh Padme I went through puberty so lets bone.

PM was better than AOC at least, which was the worst of the 3. Worst effects, worst Hayden, stupid clone mystery that never goes anywhere, conveyor belt scene, and PS1 level CGI.

If Anakin was casted as a young adult in PM, then no Hayden in AOC/ROTS which gives PM maybe the biggest sin of the entire prequels, way bigger than Jar Jar.

cr0w

Old Member
What were the stupid things that Lucas did that people should've told him no to?

Jar Jar, 99% of the dialogue, midichlorians, everything surrounding Jango/Boba Fett, Hayden/Jake Lloyd as Anakin, Maul being a jobber, the entirety of the Trade Federation storyline, the overreliance on CGI instead of practical effects...

This is all personal opinion, though, and even with those quibbles it's still a stronger Star Wars film than TFA because it was still squarely Lucas's vision.

Petrae

I used to think that The Phantom Menace was absolute shit until I wasted time on Disney Star Wars. Now I appreciate it a bit more.

It’s still shit, but not bottom of the barrel shit. I can sit through the Prequel Trilogy and get some laughs out of it. Disney Star Wars, for me, is unwatchable unless RLM or CinemaSins edits them way down and analyzes them.

That said, it was very disappointing when I saw it for the first time during opening weekend. I got together with family and friends and made it a group trip; there was a lot of hype for a new Star Wars film and I was ready... or so I thought.

At least the pod racing scenes were kinda cool. And there was a cool villain for half a second.

K1Expwy

I agree with nearly all of the RLM and fanbase criticism surrounding the prequels, but I wasn't around for the OT. I always wanted to see a new Star Wars in theaters, so I didn't mind TPM, warts and all.

Chiggs

The Phantom Menace, to me, remains the greatest pop cultural disappointment of all time.

In May of 2019, I was a film-crazy 19 year-old with a passion for Star Wars. I bought my tickets--and my friends' tickets--two weeks in advance. On its debut, my friends and I camped out for hours to ensure we were first in line, which meant first dibs on the choicest seats. As the lights dimmed and the familiar score and scroll appeared, the crowd went crazy...as did I. Cheering, clapping, hooting and hollering--you name it.

But then a funny thing happened: as the movie went on, it became readily apparent that it wasn't hitting its mark. The audience seemed bored, but ready to erupt in cheers when that moment came...but it never came. Even the 2 on 1 lightsaber duel at the end seemed to inspire only a tepid reaction.

As people filtered out of the theater, a common theme emerged: rationalization and justification. It sickened me to watch so many people pretend they liked it, including half of my friends who spouted off things like, "Well, I bet you would have liked it if you were a kid."

The half of my friends that "liked" the movie went to Denny's to discuss its many "merits," while the half that despised it went and got hammered. One of my friends got so piss-drunk that he put on a pair of rollerblades to somehow mimic the pod race sequence (the only good part, mind you) and ended up breaking his wrist.

Phantom Menace, you truly do stink!

Didn't live up to the hype, but not much different from today's blockbusters. Its on par with mid tier MCU or DC movies.

The big issue with PM was Anakin. There was one reason to make him a kid, and thats because Lucas wanted $$$. In the actual story it makes no sense for him to be 10 years old. Clearly the movie was written in mind with Anakin being Lukes age in ANH, but then GL wanted that Happy Meal money so he deaged Anakin.

What 10 year old can build robots and pod racers, has a rivalry with a Pod racing champ, is allowed to race in what is essentially death races, and for some odd reason Wato keeps this kid around as a slave(even giving him and his mom some really nice digs).

Make Anakin 18 ish, then he can have an actual relationship with Obi Wan, and some actual fun banter. It would also set up the romance with Padme outside of oh Padme I went through puberty so lets bone.

PM was better than AOC at least, which was the worst of the 3. Worst effects, worst Hayden, stupid clone mystery that never goes anywhere, conveyor belt scene, and PS1 level CGI.

If Anakin was casted as a young adult in PM, then no Hayden in AOC/ROTS which gives PM maybe the biggest sin of the entire prequels, way bigger than Jar Jar.

Padme was very vocal about that issue with Qui-Gon. Lucas was trying to paint the Jedi as not being the altruistic order that people assumed (which is why Anakin turned) and much of it was just lost in translation or never picked up on.

It was a recurring theme throughout the prequel trilogy with the jedi though (like the jedi leaving Schmi Skywalker to her fate as a slave and forcing Anakin to choose between staying with his mother and continue his life as a slave or leave with the jedi). If you paid close attention you could see where Lucas was going with it but midway through Lucas went fuck it and I'll give them plain old vanilla sith vs jedi because of the backlash. The jedi are way more morally grey in TPM than they are portrayed in AoC or RotS.

From a story perspective it has a much bigger impact on Anakin losing his mother when he's a young child rather than when he's a young adult. The traumatic experience is more powerful in inciting him to harbor contempt for the jedi order.

From a story perspective the foundation for the reason of Anakin betraying the jedi is really solid, it's just that it starts to falter midway through.

Top Bottom