• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

Tsaki

It's impossible to solve coil whine but yeah they can try make it less noticeable.
Wouldn't it be solved by having less current flow through the same coils or by having coils rated for higher current than it actually needs? Yeah it would cost a few cents more since you use more materials than you actually need for normal operation, but you'd get rid of all the coil whine complaints. And who knows? Maybe the more well-to-do owners might even buy a PS5 for a second time to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Allandor

It's impossible to solve coil whine but yeah they can try make it less noticeable.
It is possible. Just "glue" some components with some heat resistant "stuff" so the vibrations are handled at the source.
Well at least Sony could do it... but they don't think this is an actual problem so it won't be solved.

Tsaki

If they still plan new fat plates in january... I can't imagine slim anytime soon
It's not like the original console will cease to exist. PS5 is now at what? 45M units in people's hands? By the time the "slim" would release 50M people would have bought the old design. That's more than Xbox will sell the whole generation. Seems stupid to not try to sell to them these cheap to manufacture accessories.

jm89

They are still producing fifa bundles for the current ps5 revision.

Maybe a few weeks after we here something? They probably don't want to take the wind out of these bundles.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
JEXw5HL.jpg

Yeah, the idea that anyone should get on Tom for a difference of a month or two makes little sense. Hell, this could be delayed to Q1.

Sony can announce a PS5 Slim at any moment and have them available for sale within a week or two. You would think they want to get through existing inventory and maybe that took a bit longer than they had expected and even required some discounting in Europe to even stay on track.

How that would be Tom's fault is beyond me.

I do think that it would be massively missed opportunity for Sony to release a significantly slimmer PS5 given this is the largest console they've ever produced, but if we look at the PS3, it actually had a slim and a super slim. So maybe we'll see an actually cut down version later in the gen. That didn't come out for another 3 years for PS3.

Maybe they hold the "Slim" til spring and then launch the Pro in the Fall/Holiday season.

They are announcing to many Spiderman bundles and new case colors for existing models that it makes me think the "Slim" won't be announced this year. I'd love to be wrong though. I'm a sucker for new shit.

I think that's a bit of a misconception.

All of these bundles are/will selling out on their own.

You can't even get the PS5 Spider-Man limited edition bundle on PlayStation direct. And people continue to act as if case colors only apply to new systems and not the existing 40+ million units, which is just as much as many consoles have sold in their entire lifecycles.

Don't think any of that has a bearing on the slim being announced or whether it releases this year. I think traditionally we would have seen it launch in September, but that doesn't mean that will always be the case.

My theory is that either a) they haven't been able to sell enough PS5s yet and still have too much inventory of that remaining or b) they saw the fan response to the leaked design and decided to delay the release and redesign the casing.

I think A) is more likely scenario. They had to drop the price of PS5s to hit their targets and they still don't seem on track for 25 million and that might have a lot/something to do with Jim Ryan retiring at the end of the fiscal year.

The PS5 and Sony Interactive are performing really well, but not nearly as well as they need to. Sony's operating margins remain entirely too small and having to cut the price of the ps5 in regions to keep sales up is probably not helping.

Maybe they hold the "Slim" til spring and then launch the Pro in the Fall/Holiday season.

They are announcing to many Spiderman bundles and new case colors for existing models that it makes me think the "Slim" won't be announced this year. I'd love to be wrong though. I'm a sucker for new shit.

I think delaying the slim until spring means losing out significantly on their 25 million sales target, which isn't to say it won't happen, but you're going to miss out of a large amount of repurchasers there over the holiday season and if these units are more affordable for sony than the standard, you're losing out on a lot of margin as well.

Now you have to take into account whether they have inventory to last through the spring of the current models if their plan was to launch the slim in September or October.

If their plan was to replace this model for a large part of the quarter and the next, I don't see how you delay without drastically impacting supply, but we'll know if PS5s start selling out again that Sony made a huge blunder and we'll also know that that blunder is a reason for Jim Ryan's exit.

I want to buy a PS5 this week.
Size is fine for me in current model so just get that???

If it is same just smaller not sure it's worth waiting

Fredrik

Hopefully they make an even bigger one. Put it in a PC tower.
I want a Pro or PC versions day one.
Can’t see why a Slim is needed, I put the Phat up on my shelf and forgot about it, I just pick up the controller and hit a button and start playing, same as with any box no matter the size.

Last edited:

SSfox

It's such an annoyance to have no clue when this shit will be announce.

I really don't want to miss the next T8 beta grrrrrrr
kfVLpg6.png

Elios83

It's such an annoyance to have no clue when this shit will be announce.

I really don't want to miss the next T8 beta grrrrrrr
kfVLpg6.png

I guess late October like the PS2 Slim.
They are probably waiting until stock level of current inventory drops below a certain threshold.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You'd think they'd do the Pro & Slim together like they did last time, yet no Pro leaks..... unless it don't exist

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'd rather have the current PS5 than that ugly slim with the lines down the side.
The Pro is another story though, but I wouldn't expect that until next fall. (halfway through the generation)

Last edited:
Top Bottom