• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Raxious

I got 3 things:

He's on Neogaf

8Ecb.png

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Notch?

Would you guys advice this to someone who enjoyed the previous games? Been watching some streams and it seems pretty interesting, though seeing EA's games from the past year or so I'm kinda scared of what they might have done with it.

If I'm running srtest, it says I'm not meeting the recommended specs, but seeing as I'm running on a laptop I was wondering if you guys could tell me how well it might run. Here's a screencap of the score.
arOlYbD.png

McNum

I see they fixed one of the stranger contradictions from The Sims 3 in this game. In The Sims 3, there was a trait called "Hates Children" which also carried over to The Sims 4. If a Sim with that trait got pregnant, she (or if aliens were involved, he) would get a free +20 mood for being happy about the pregnancy.

In The Sims 4... I don't think I've seen a Sim look that miserable. Although points to EA for actually showing sarcasm in an animation. "Tell Big News." You could just feel the fake joy she was trying to express. You get a +1 Tense moodlet for the entire 72 hours, and Tense seems to override most other emotions, meaning to be happy, she needed a +2 Happy, and those aren't easy to come by.

So, nice one Maxis. That did seem a bit odd in Sims 3. Se did get a happy moodlet once the child was born, though. And she doesn't seem to hate her own daughter, so that's... nice?

fader

I see they fixed one of the stranger contradictions from The Sims 3 in this game. In The Sims 3, there was a trait called "Hates Children" which also carried over to The Sims 4. If a Sim with that trait got pregnant, she (or if aliens were involved, he) would get a free +20 mood for being happy about the pregnancy.

In The Sims 4... I don't think I've seen a Sim look that miserable. Although points to EA for actually showing sarcasm in an animation. "Tell Big News." You could just feel the fake joy she was trying to express. You get a +1 Tense moodlet for the entire 72 hours, and Tense seems to override most other emotions, meaning to be happy, she needed a +2 Happy, and those aren't easy to come by.

So, nice one Maxis. That did seem a bit odd in Sims 3. Se did get a happy moodlet once the child was born, though. And she doesn't seem to hate her own daughter, so that's... nice?

I gotta admit, thats a nice touch.

Mr Swine

Banned
I got 3 things:

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Notch?

Would you guys advice this to someone who enjoyed the previous games? Been watching some streams and it seems pretty interesting, though seeing EA's games from the past year or so I'm kinda scared of what they might have done with it.

If I'm running srtest, it says I'm not meeting the recommended specs, but seeing as I'm running on a laptop I was wondering if you guys could tell me how well it might run. Here's a screencap of the score.
arOlYbD.png

I think you can run most of the settings at high ultra with a few tweaks!

Also man The Sims 4 is so freaking good! I love the new AI, emotions and everything! Wish there was more content though!

red731

Start game session
Stop game session
Prepare for sleep IRL while watching The Sims 4 streams
Want to play the game while eyes are closing because inspiration

JoeBoy101

Wait so someone mentioned I can move people into my town without setting them to a house. How can I do that?

Yup. You just create a new household from the main menu. Then when you go to play and choose a house, there's an option in the top right to save them to the household collection or library. Once in the library, they are tagged 'Not Currently In World'. This tag does NOT prevent them from showing up in game.

Raxious, the answer to your question 2 is touchy. I like it, but I know alot of fans of Sims 3 are leery. In short, I would say this, if you really liked Sims 2, you'll probably lean positively towards this one. If Sims 3 is a high point, you're going to have to get past the feature omissions. I generally like Sims 3 more than 2, but only because of Story Progression. Open world was nice, as was the Create a Style, but neither one were absolute must haves for me, and there is the little issue of TS3 running like a pig.

Sims 4 feels more like a sequel to Sims 2, as one Gaffer put it, than a sequel of Sims 3. Even with a scaled down Story Progression I like it alot. Can't do a final verdict, because I'm still feeling out the content depth.

As to your laptop running it, with those specs I think so. It does have a laptop mode as well in the options, but the game runs silky smooth and is not very demanding.

Raxious

I think you can run most of the settings at high ultra with a few tweaks!

Also man The Sims 4 is so freaking good! I love the new AI, emotions and everything! Wish there was more content though!

Aight.

Mmm, is the content more or less the same to the Sims 3 base or?

Zareka

How easy do you guys reckon moding hair in to this game will be? Trying to recreate my family in this and while I can get my mum fine, there's no just male hair that's long enough for myself.

CzarTim

So give me a quick run down.. How's the game? Do the missing features wreck it?

It's honestly pretty good. More of a modern Sims 2 than a continuation of Sims 3. Whether or not you'll like it depends on whether you enjoy the day-to-day gameplay over designing / create-a-style.

Tabby

How easy do you guys reckon moding hair in to this game will be? Trying to recreate my family in this and while I can get my mum fine, there's no just male hair that's long enough for myself.
I think I've seen a mod before let you use girls hair for men so there's that, I would send a link but I
forgot where I saw it.

So I did the Mexican thing and it worked.... I figured it was worth that price than the $60 I would have paid for it. So thanks guys.

However, does anyone have that fire bug going on? My stove catches on fire and my sim runs out the house but I can't access the phone to contact fire services, neither can I do anything at all?

donarumo

Neo Member
The graphics do give the game a nice type of charm.

Overall, I don't hate it as much as I thought I was going to. I love the series, so keep that in mind. The emotions do add a nice risk/reward to choices and the social interaction side has been improved.

nzZ2NMp.jpg

So, buying it for cheap from El Origin...there's no significant catches or drawbacks, right? I don't wanna end up buying some screwed up copy trying to grab a deal.

Are there any reviews from review sites up?

With all the fuss about gaming journalism lately I would trust more comments on this forum than any review site.

My recommendation is to watch twitch streams of people playing, some are fun and show you different ideas on how people are playing it. Also gives you a impression on the controls, UI, performance, etc...

I did that and saw that I liked everything about the game. This coming from someone who made fun of people who liked the sims.

So, buying it for cheap from El Origin...there's no significant catches or drawbacks, right? I don't wanna end up buying some screwed up copy trying to grab a deal.

a page back someone said that you might be locked to Mexican Internet Origin (MIO lol) but, seeing as how their prices are better I don't think of it as a drawback.

I'm stuck to that store anyway since I'm from central america.

Be careful if you do this, I have heard that Origin have been blocking accounts from making future purchases because people have bought games from other regions using a VPN. Not sure if it's happened to everyone but just a warning. If you want the game cheap then CDKeys sell it for £26 ($42).

Debs

However, does anyone have that fire bug going on? My stove catches on fire and my sim runs out the house but I can't access the phone to contact fire services, neither can I do anything at all?

It's not a bug. You can't call fire services because there isn't any :p You need to extinguish the flames yourself by clicking them or already have a sprinkler system in your home.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Decided to bite last night and after a while of playing it's probably my favorite Sims game. They finally fixed all the annoying shit that bothered me before. Characters look absolutely stunning too. Sim creation is also top notch. Finally.

Debs

Some people have said they have been blocked from buying any future games from Origin after they bought a game cheap through a VPN from another region. I personally wouldn't risk it if you plan to buy games from Origin in the future unless you don't mind making a new account again.

Messiek

Guys, stop saying good things about this game! I've been a Sims fan since the first one, since I was 8.
I'm afraid of this game because of the features it doesn't have.
Help me GAF ! Will I regret it ? Worth waiting for a discount?

Tabby

Guys, stop saying good things about this game! I've been a Sims fan since the first one, since I was 8.
I'm afraid of this game because of the features it doesn't have.
Help me GAF ! Will I regret it ? Worth waiting for a discount?

What's there is great but it all depends on how much you care about the missing features.

Me personally I've never used the pools, never played as a family, don't have a great PC so the open world made Sims 3 run like crap and I never used cast so I don't really mind the missing features.

It's $44/£26 on Mexican Origin, my sister also got it for £26 so I'm sure you can get it for a good price somewhere.

While I made my sim really enjoy playing music, I should be able to make him stop doing it, right? Two times out of three when I told him to write a song he just wouldn't stop until he passed out.

Is there a resetsim cheat or something you can use when this nonsense happens?

While I made my sim really enjoy playing music, I should be able to make him stop doing it, right? Two times out of three when I told him to write a song he just wouldn't stop until he passed out.

I've seen people complain about this and they supposedly fixed it by making them change outfits. They will stop what they are doing if you already tried to cancel it. Try it out.

Rembrandt

Banned
Huh, so the game isn't terrible like we all feared? That's good to hear, will have to check it out soon and fall back into the addiction.

JoeBoy101

Ctrl+SHIFT+C -> Type in 'testingcheats true' -> Ctrl (or might be SHIFT) + Click on your Sim and choose reset.

Raven77

So in the previus games I spent most of my time just building houses. I don't know what create a style is because I never played Sims 3.

Are the house creation options good along with the choices in style like wallpapers, etc.

Starting to think I should have been an architect...

Zareka

Got some time with the game in before I'm going to sleep, but one thing I will say is that this runs like a dream. It had gotten to the point where TS3 would chug along on a brand new save for me, and I could deal with it before this but I have no idea if I'd be able to now. I do kind of miss the open world - TS4 feels smaller - but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a while.

Anyway, time for sleep. I'll see if I can get some more in between Danganronpa 2 tomorrow!

Quick

Banned
How is it running on older machines?

I can run The Sims 3 on at least high settings (whatever's next to the highest), but the loading times are insane.

Quick

Banned
If you can run TS3 reasonably, you are in like Flynn for TS4.

I initially said I wouldn't pick up the game, but my thirst is real. Seeing the gameplay videos and GAF impressions in here (at least, the ones I've quickly flipped through) doesn't make it as sound as bad as when the list of features taken out were posted earlier here.

Top Bottom