• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

Do you think they'll add some missing features in by patch, or just expansions? :(

I can't believe there isn't even car pools. It always made me chuckle before when there was an old beat up car to pick you up, then it slowly got better the better your career was. eventually a helicopter would pick you up. brilliant.

but no, not in this :(

Tiu Neo

Looks like a premium service ala Battlefield 4 is on the way: http://simscommunity.net/2014/09/04/sims-4-premium-service-coming-october/

I'm ok if that means smaller, but cheaper and more constant content packs. Something like a cheaper alternative of the Sims 3 Store.

Missing things that have "bothered" me so far:
-No dishwashers? Every single dish needs to be cleaned in a sink, as far as I'm aware.
-No carpool to pick up Sim for work. They just walk to the sidewalk and disappear.
-No doctor career.
-No scientist career.
-No repairman. This one especially sucks since stuff breaks all the time.
Yeah, they easily offer up a "replace for X simoleans" button, but.. it's just not the same.
-Not able to assign a bed to a specific person. Again, as far as I know.

Things they've added that I don't particularly like so far:
-A lot of negative emotions can be eliminated by talking to oneself in a mirror. As a result, I've had to buy a lot more mirrors than I would've before and I'm already tiring of regularly sending Sims to talk to themselves.
-Embarrassment. Maybe my Sims are particularly bashful, but they seem to be getting embarrassed rather often. Embarrassment leads to Sims feeling tense, which can lead to them snapping at people and turn social encounters into a downward spiral.

Things that (I think) they've added that I enjoy:
-The ability to apologize immediately after accidentally offending someone. They also have a "recover" action when hitting on someone goes awry.
-Multitasking.
-"Stretching" and moving entire rooms.
-Ability to turn off aging without cheats.
I'm 50% sure this was in Sims 3.
-Social outings seem easier. Yes, I know this seems contradictory to the fact that there is no longer an open-world.You tell a Sim to go to a location, a list pops up of all the people this Sim knows and you checkmark the ones you want to come with and they all automatically do.
I never made all my Sims go out to the bar together in previous games, but did so in this game easily. Maybe I just didn't play Sims 3 enough.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm enjoying the game, although I have been irked by some of the missing things.

Actually, you can turn aging off without cheats. On gameplay options, there is a box to choose how long the Sims lives will be. Bellow that, there are some checkboxes, to turn aging off for your sims and for the neighborhood sims.

My game is on portuguese, so the options may have different names, but they are there.

Kabouter

Do you think they'll add some missing features in by patch, or just expansions? :(

I can't believe there isn't even car pools. It always made me chuckle before when there was an old beat up car to pick you up, then it slowly got better the better your career was. eventually a helicopter would pick you up. brilliant.

Likely a mix of both, the patches coinciding with the expansions. The real meat will of course be in the form of the expansions though, otherwise not many people would buy it. Only company I can think of that introduces more features in their games via post-release patches than via DLC/add-ons is Paradox Development Studio.

And again, anyone know how I can move a single person out rather than moving the entire household? It's a bit awkward having an ex-husband live with his ex-wife.

artsi

Only company I can think of that introduces more features in their games via post-release patches than via DLC/add-ons is Paradox Development Studio.

Bohemia does this with Arma too and it's great, but I'd never imagine EA to take the same approach.

I think there were patches in Sims 3 that added features (I'm unaware of what they did, though), so if they're generous Sims 4 could have the same treatment. Otherwise, we'll need to wait for expansions.

Debs

How is it running on older machines?

I can run The Sims 3 on at least high settings (whatever's next to the highest), but the loading times are insane.

I have a PC that is 3 years old and a laptop that is 5 years old, the game works great with them both. Loading times are quick and the game runs smooth. I was very surprised to find the game worked on my laptop because the specs are bad.

My PC specs:

Windows 7
Intel Core i3 3.2GHz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5450

My laptop specs:

Windows Vista
Celeron Duel-Core 1.8 GHz
3GB RAM
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

cchriss

Hey how do you mentor somebody? I've got my guitar skill at 10 and the aspiration wants me to mentor someone for 15 hours.

Fitz

And again, anyone know how I can move a single person out rather than moving the entire household? It's a bit awkward having an ex-husband live with his ex-wife.

Have you tried the Household management in the top right when you're at the over-world map? When you select a household from the list there's a pencil button that says "Edit, add or remove Sims from the current household in Create a Sim". I've not created a household with multiple Sims so I've not been able to try it myself.

Mr_Zombie

Yeah you are absolutly right what I meant is that after seeing my gf playing Sims 4 and enjoying the hell out of it, i don't think all the whining about the missing features or the bad press vibes have any impact on the sucess of the series. Don't get me wrong - all I wanted to say is many "hardcore" gamer, as I named them poorly, are focusing too much on the "not that much of an evolution against sims 3" thing. :)

Oh, OK. So I misunderstood you. :)

Zareka

You can change where they eat by queuing up another seat.
You know that right?

I figured I could do that because of the whole multitasking thing, but that's not what's bothering me. It's trying to control one of my sims who spends most of the time on his PC in his small room, while constantly having to direct the rest of the family away from it because they all wanna watch the TV. For some reason, it's ONLY his TV. I had to delete it to stop them coming in (they still do).

Kabouter

Have you tried the Household management in the top right when you're at the over-world map? When you select a household from the list there's a pencil button that says "Edit, add or remove Sims from the current household in Create a Sim". I've not created a household with multiple Sims so I've not been able to try it myself.

This worked, thanks so much :)

Hasney

Damn, I've got a less than 1 year old but shit AMD laptop, but reading some of the specs on worse laptops, I may have to give this a shot now.

My desktop is a beast, but it's a pain in the arse getting Origin games working on streaming sometimes.

Zareka

Are there any games console objects in this? I want to get my sims gaming with each other when they come round but I can't seem to find any form of console. Only PC's.

Someone is going to make a master race joke. I can feel it.

Setsuna

If i didn't know any better id say EA is paying twitch to feature Sims 4 streamers so that The Sims can stay in the top 5 played all day

Hasney

If i didn't know any better id say EA is paying twitch to feature Sims 4 streamers so that The Sims can stay in the top 5 played all day

Possibly, but it is also a very streamable game with it being voyeuristic anyway. It'd be one of the few games I could watch if I had input from the chat to tell streamers to do stuff.

Likely a mix of both, the patches coinciding with the expansions. The real meat will of course be in the form of the expansions though, otherwise not many people would buy it. Only company I can think of that introduces more features in their games via post-release patches than via DLC/add-ons is Paradox Development Studio.

Blizzard. Diablo 3's turn around has been phenomenal.

red731

LETS RENOVATE!
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif

-Stranger-

Help I bought my girlfriends Sims 4 yesterday and we have been trying since to get the fucker to run.

We have reinstalled it about 3 times, run it in compatibility mode/as an administrator and done a clean boot. Nothing works.

Any one going through the same thing or got any ideas, would be much appreciated.?
Damn EA need to get their shit together.

JoeBoy101

Help I bought my girlfriends Sims 4 yesterday and we have been trying since to get the fucker to run.

We have reinstalled it about 3 times, run it in compatibility mode/as an administrator and done a clean boot. Nothing works.

Any one going through the same thing or got any ideas, would be much appreciated.?
Damn EA need to get their shit together.

What happens when you run it?

cory64

I just downloaded it overnight and it won't start either. Win 8.1 gaming PC, latest nvidia drivers.

The process starts up for about half a second and then disappears. Not even a window or anything. Tried the usual tricks mentioned above.

-Stranger-

What happens when you run it?

When I double click the icon for Sims 4 on the desktop or click play via Origin, the computer seems to be thinking for a few seconds and then nothing.
No error message just no response, checked task manager and back applications and it's not there.

Specs

Desktop
Windows 7
Intel Pentium Processor E6700
AMD Radeon HD 6450 512mb
500 GB HDD
4 GB DDR3 Memory

Nothing special but it runs The Sims 3 fine.

I am determined to finish my nightmare house tonight. I have the exterior mostly finished, aside from the roof because you apparently need to be a savant to use multiple roof pieces without it looking ridiculous. Maybe I'll just do an extremely tacky flat roof with accents or something.

Also, as expected, you guys were right; my funds are running dry. My sim is going to wonder why her house is so big when she can only walk in 4 rooms. I wonder if sims still have that inquisitive feature where they try to figure out how to get to blocked off areas in their house...

Hasney

When I double click the icon for Sims 4 on the desktop or click play via Origin, the computer seems to be thinking for a few seconds and then nothing.
No error message just no response, checked task manager and back applications and it's not there.

Specs

Desktop
Windows 7
AMD Radeon HD 6450 512mb
500 GB HDD
4 GB DDR3 Memory

Sounds like the same issue with the poster above you, except they're on NVidia and Windows 8.1 and you're on AMD and Windows 7. Wonder if you both have an application in common that's running and preventing this from running.

Messi

This game is a time vortex. Started last night at 12 when it unlocked for me. Looked up and the sun was coming up. What the fuck.

Anyone know how you write jokes?

The Foul

You write jokes on a computer.

Eventually you can write comedy routines, test them out on a microphone (its only use, no singing "instrument" yet), refine them and perform them at the bar downtown. Haven't looked into comedy much but its pretty fun.

Loving the game so far, about 10hrs in. Definitely more like Sims 2 but with the refinements of 3. Kinda miss the skill journals but there's plenty to unlock. The special rooms you get for reaching tops of careers are nice, I actually look forward to dlc expanding these.

JoeBoy101

Specs

Desktop
Windows 7
AMD Radeon HD 6450 512mb
500 GB HDD
4 GB DDR3 Memory

I just downloaded it overnight and it won't start either. Win 8.1 gaming PC, latest nvidia drivers.

The process starts up for about half a second and then disappears. Not even a window or anything. Tried the usual tricks mentioned above.

Try running it in windowed mode. In origin, right click on the icon for it in your library and select 'Game Properties'. Then enter '-w' and hit apply. Then try and start it again.

Skele70n said:
IS this game worth buying or it is completely messed up?

Your mileage of whether it's worth buying hinges a lot on what you like most about the Sims. But completely messed up? Not even close.

McNum

IS this game worth buying or it is completely messed up?
For what it is, it works most of the time. It's a pretty focused game at times, and the missing features from the earlier games can chafe a bit. But Sims 4 as itself is fine.

So the answer is from me would be "Yes, but..." If you're really curious, get it, but honestly, I could also see an argument for waiting a while to get more content with it later. It's not like The Sims is a series that vanishes from the stores fast.

-Stranger-

Sounds like the same issue with the poster above you, except they're on NVidia and Windows 8.1 and you're on AMD and Windows 7. Wonder if you both have an application in common that's running and preventing this from running.

Yeah it seems that way, I just tried disabling my anti-virus software and firewall to see if that was blocking it, but still no good :(

Not sure whether we should just wait and hope EA can patch it.

cory64

Try running it in windowed mode. In origin, right click on the icon for it in your library and select 'Game Properties'. Then enter '-w' and hit apply. Then try and start it again.

Hmm, still nothing. I tried shutting down as many other processes as I could and nothing changed either.

-Stranger-

Your mileage of whether it's worth buying hinges a lot on what you like most about the Sims. But completely messed up? Not even close.

Hey just gave that a shot, still didn't work although the computer seemed to be thinking abit longer.

Hasney

For the startup issue, I found this that worked for someone, but not everyone

Try Clearing out the origin cache

Ensure Origin is fully closed by clicking the Origin Menu and selecting Exit.
Delete the following folders:
Origin folder - Found in C:\ProgramData\
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\
Note: These folders are hidden by default, and the player will need to un-hide to be able to locate them.
to unhide folders:
-type folder options in the search field in the start menu
-click on the view tab
-under the hidden folders options click show hidden files, folders, and drives- apply the setting and click ok

JoeBoy101

Quick note for the thread, multiple outfits for each category CAN be saved. When in CAS, and choosing clothes, notice the little carat sign pointing up? Click that and you can add more outfits for that category.

Also, from Gamefront:

Gamefront said:
cas.fulleditmode: Enter this code while Testing Mode is activated and with a Sim selected to re-edit all base level attribute of a completed Sim.

This lets you change genetics as well.

Stranger and Cory64, try this:

If The Sims 4 isn’t starting/launching after double click, you must install the all redistributables including vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86 from Installer folder which is located in game’s installation directory.

Frazley

Not sure if this was mentioned, but EA is trying to combat piracy with an interesting glitch. When the modesty blur comes up, on pirated versions it doesn't go away and makes the whole screen blurry.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/86145/ea-combats-the-sims-4-piracy-with-unique-bug

I think this is hilarious! :) The EA forums are having threads pop up with people complaining of this glitch.

I like things like this and the pirate hats that appear in that game. I am against piracy, but I like the intentional glitches.

I've always enjoyed Sims games...

There I've admitted it!

But I'm going to wait and see what the mod community make for this before I dive in...!

JoeBoy101

Nothing. FWIW Chrome has been behaving the same way since I tried updating it to 64-bit a few days ago, but I've done a virus sweep and registry clean and nothing's changed.

You got me on this one. Other than googling on the issue I can't be of much more help. My only other suggestion is to do a full re-install, but make sure to delete your Sims 4 folder out of your Documents folder where all your settings would be.

FYI, for the thread, Jim Sterling's Review. Gave it 2 1/2 stars. Other critics are giving it either 7's or 8's and some lower than 7's so far.

Hasney

Not sure if this was mentioned, but EA is trying to combat piracy with an interesting glitch. When the modesty blur comes up, on pirated versions it doesn't go away and makes the whole screen blurry.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/86145/ea-combats-the-sims-4-piracy-with-unique-bug

I think this is hilarious! :) The EA forums are having threads pop up with people complaining of this glitch.

I like things like this and the pirate hats that appear in that game. I am against piracy, but I like the intentional glitches.

Yeah, it's ace. Favourite one is still the Serious Sam 3 invincible enemy one though.

I used to hate things like that. I think it was one of Codemasters LMA manager games that made your results go to shit slowly over time if it was pirated. The reason I hated that was because 1) It wasn't obvious and 2) it had a high false-positive rate. Now they're better at detecting them, I'm glad they exist... Even if it does only slow the pirates down rather than stop them.

-Stranger-

Quick note for the thread, multiple outfits for each category CAN be saved. When in CAS, and choosing clothes, notice the little carat sign pointing up? Click that and you can add more outfits for that category.

Also, from Gamefront:

This lets you change genetics as well.

Stranger and Cory64, try this:

Still no good, also tried deleting the cache folders mentioned above...
EA support forums don't seem to have any idea.

Top Bottom