• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unofficially Official X05 Thread (announcements go in here, clones)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Aika'svyse said:
WOOHOO! NEW JOB MEANS i'LL DEFINITELY MAKE LAUNCH AND i'VE UPGRADED FROM CORE TO PREMIUM :)

NOT TO HOLLER OR ANYTHING :D

Congrats and all that other good shit!

Speevy

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I was expecting more, but I'm ending up being more impressed at the way that many of these games are finally coming together. Still not a home run for Microsoft, but I think it shows how serious they are at pulling off a spectacular launch and how laser focused they are on that goal.

With no other systems out there, nothing matters more than 2005.

Despite that, there were still killer games shown for 2006. To me at least, this will be the best console launch in quite a while.

I'm going to invest in a cam to take a zillion pics of me standing in line at launch and of the final moment when I hoist my 360 into the air. *dances jig*

Now I just have to figure out what games are coming home with me :)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Silly question but was there any Xbox stuff shown at X05 like Blazing Angels, Stubbs The Zombie, Serious Sam II, Operation Flashpoint, Hitman 4, Full Specturm Warrior:TH etc? Or was it all Xbox 360?

FiRez

D2M15 said:
Maybe someone realised that showing six military sci-fi titles in one event might be overdoing it, even for Microsoft.

I have some bad vibe that the game has been hinted and almost confirmed for so long and nothing has been showed

Stinkles said:

I thought you should know something about that game already

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ram said:
that doesnt sound very positive. is the age of 30fps games coming? i`ll ghope they improve the framerate, because first gen games must have 60fps! >:O

Not according to the developers. I've spoken to the Gears of War guy (sorry, dont recall the name at the moment. I'm still "amsterdowned") about the frame rate issue and he said they are pointing at 30fps. He also said that even if they reach 60fps, they will push in more details and effects until it's back to 30fps. He said that many devs are following suit.

So I told him that a "less detailed" 60fps game may look overall more realistic in motion than a "heavy detailed" 30fps game. He basically said that since Halo and Halo 2 frame rates didn't bother people, why sould it bother in Gear of Wars.

Anyway, GOW is actually the only Xbox360 game that looks next gen. Sure, frame rate sucks BADLY at the moment, but presentation and overall look shit over any other 360 game.

EDIT. Only 360 games running at 60fps at the show were DOA4, NNN and RR6. So, basically, Western games = 30fps. Japanese games = 60fps. I love japan.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
COD2 was the best game at the show hands down. It didnt have all that bump/normal mapping going on, but was really smooth and looked mostly finished.

BTW, the PGR3 demo running on the show floor had only 3 or 4 cars on the track. And run at a so so frame rate with textures pop up and pretty heavy aliasing. I got to see a 6 player game behind closed door, but I wont comment on that frame rate cos I'm afraid of Xbots backlash. :p

eso76

TTP said:
BTW, the PGR3 demo running on the show floor had only 3 or 4 cars on the track. And run at a so so frame rate with textures pop up and pretty heavy aliasing. I got to see a 6 player game behind closed door, but I wont comment on that frame rate cos I'm afraid of Xbots backlash. :p

logo_goodgrief.jpg

Pug

TTP, reporting on what you see is fine, but you know and I know the game will not release with 4 cars, you also know the game is still in development (there are 60 people still working on the game at this moment) and they are working on the very points you highlighted. Its fine to post an opinion on an unfinished demo (even though everthing was negative, what about the physics, car handling?) you played, but it isn’t final and a caveat to highlight this would have been nice.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pug said:
TTP, reporting on what you see is fine, but you know and I know the game will not release with 4 cars, you also know the game is still in development (there are 60 people still working on the game at this moment) and they are working on the very points you highlighted. Its fine to post an opinion on an unfinished demo (even though everthing was negative, what about the physics, car handling?) you played, but it isn’t final and a caveat to highlight this would have been nice.

You are right, but my impressions where just to highlight how bad MS manages this kind of shows. I mean, everyone was like "WTF is this?". You hardly want this to happen less than 2 months before the hardware launch.

As to the caveat omission, well, I'm quite in a rush now so I avoid telling the obvious. Yes, one Bizarre guy was there telling everyone that the textures pop up will be gone (as well as stopping me from playing the Nurbungring once he discovered I selected a track that wasn't supposed to be shown 'cos it was "still work in progress") and everything will look fine. Yet you have to wonder why Japanese games looked so perfectly optimized. As well as COD2. I wonder what's going on. I couldnt get a straight answer about the aliasing in PGR3 so I just reported it as "being present".

As for the car handling, well, less forgiving than past PGRs, but about the same overall. Cars felt less heavy than how I remember them (long time not playing PGR2) and I think 360 controller triggers do oppose less resistance to the finger (couldnt calibrate acceleration too well resulting in some unwanted 360° when recovering from a wrong turn).

Ah, and Kameo looked great.

Pug

TTP, cheers for that, as for games looking more stable than other, I have no idea why that should be. I am amazed how good Kameo looks becuase we all know its really been ported over from the the 80% completed Xbox version in 12 months, but this impact hasn;t been seen on PDZ which really again is really just an Xbox port but this time its like a high Res Xbox version of the game. As for MS being a bit rubbish at these PR events, well yes but hey you had a good river trip and party didn't you?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pug said:
TTP, cheers for that, as for games looking more stable than other, I have no idea why that should be. I am amazed how good Kameo looks becuase we all know its really been ported over from the the 80% completed Xbox version in 12 months, but this impact hasn;t been seen on PDZ which really again is really just an Xbox port but this time its like a high Res Xbox version of the game. As for MS being a bit rubbish at these PR events, well yes but hey you had a good river trip and party didn't you?

You mean they are trying to be kind with us for some reasons? ;)

Anyway, at the end of the show, there are four games I would personally buy for four different resons:

Gears of Wars: this one looks TEH FUCKING NEXT GENERATION. You really gotta see the rain on an HDTV screen. Looks so real you feel wet. I'm confident they will hit the 30fps mark. This is why you bought an HDTV Home Theater set.

Perfect Dark Zero: Doesnt look all that next gen (I really hope those shattering glass animations were just placeholder) but it's intruging and could be lot of fun. I really dig the co-op mode over Live.

Call of Duty 2: This is like the "safe option". You know what to expect from it and it does the job with aplomb. It's not mindblowing graphically but style and consistency in the frame rate easly make up for that and all those "OMG WHAT'S GOING ON I'M IN TEH SHIT OF DA WAR!!!!" moments are simply paints-shitting.

Kameo: It's not an FPS. It's original and inventive. The opposite of the "safe option", but in a good way.

Yes, I'm still in "wait and see" mode for PGR3.

Uncle

pxleyes said:
My god, Allard is multiplying. He has CLONES now.

I think that the bald guy not taking the picture is a finnish gaming journalist. You were just dying to know that, weren't you, you little rascals.

pxleyes

Banned
Uncle said:
I think that the bald guy not taking the picture is a finnish gaming journalist. You were just dying to know that, weren't you, you little rascals.

So Allard is to the Finnish what Hasslehoff is to the Germans??? :)

Uncle said:

yeah he's Miika Huttunen from Pelaaja -magazine. (Pelaaja = "Gamer" in Finnish).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mrbob said:
Did Blimblim get the Kameo video posted yet?

TTP you forgot about Madden. :)
Yes it's online, bittorrent only though. I'll cut it in smaller part things calm down a bit on the servers.

IJoel

Blimblim said:
Yes it's online, bittorrent only though. I'll cut it in smaller part things calm down a bit on the servers.

BAD BLIMBLIM BAD!

You cut off my download when I had already downloaded 650MB of that Kameo video.

*shakes fist*

:p

Edit: BTW, did anyone ask about weather effects in PGR3? Why the lack of media showing different weather conditions? I'd be very disappointed if it didn't have it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
IJoel said:
BAD BLIMBLIM BAD!

You cut off my download when I had already downloaded 650MB of that Kameo video.

*shakes fist*

:p
Actually the server crashed...

IJoel said:
Edit: BTW, did anyone ask about weather effects in PGR3? Why the lack of media showing different weather conditions? I'd be very disappointed if it didn't have it.
No weather effect. Night time racing will be unveiled soon.

Uncle

Blimblim said:
http://media.xboxyde.com/misc/kam_x05.png
Just a capture from the Kameo's presentation video I'm uploading now. This game looks soooo good :)

Man that looks hot. And one of the characters has advanced techniques such as the shocker and the super shocker. Kameo +1000.

AB 101

Banned
Blimblim said:
Actually the server crashed...

No weather effect. Night time racing will be unveiled soon.

There is sooooo much of this fucking game that I will be finding out on my own when I buy it.

Thats kinda cool I guess. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Sorry for not updating the post yesterday with various media, but I had to work longer than I expected. I'll try to collect shit and make a final go if anyone cares.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
no weather in pgr3 isnt a big deal to me. it definetely would have been nice to see it, but i hated racing in the rain or fog in the previous games. give me clear fucking skies

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hold up...

n mucking around with some of the game's other modes, we took to the open road at Nurburgring with our Lotus Elise. In PGR3, you'll have the option to completely customize your race, down to time of day, weather, number of A.I. racers (and their difficulty level) and more. Even better, the game finally lets you design your own custom routes in a completely open city, so you have an unlimited number of courses -- at least theoretically speaking. Finally, there are several new multiplayer gameplay modes such as Capture the Track (finish at or above a target position), Elimination (last car to cross the finish line is eliminated, ad infinitum), and team modes for all the above.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3144359&did=1

Ironclad

Just a heads up Amir. Your link to the third Outfit pic is missing the "h" at the beginning of the URL. Just thought I would point that out.

Top Bottom