• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles

Ozriel

M$FT
Ahhh Microsoft, the reactionary company. What a lame announcement.
czvrNkR.gif

Sony announced they’re making some more PS4 consoles

TheVerge emails Microsoft to ask if they’re still making xbox one consoles.

An Xbox executive replies back that they’ve stopped making Xbox One consoles since 2020

You popping up from under the bridge to accuse them of being ‘reactionary’ makes no sense.

kingfey

Banned

An Xbox executive replies back that they’ve stopped making Xbox One consoles since 2020

You popping up from under the bridge to accuse them of being ‘reactionary’ makes no sense.
people lack critical reading. They are the type of people, who enable journalist to write garbage headlines.

kingfey

Banned
The same Warren that wrote a scathing article critiquing the Windows 11 taskbar and saying it was a giant step back?

Guess the Cheque didn’t clear
I have seen him complain alot about MS windows. No shill person does that.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It just means they are not printing old shit anymore, it doesn't mean they are going around trashing the already existing one.

Basically: maybe, but they are two unrelated things.

coarse its related. if you are not producing something the support will die quicker

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not how it works.
Sure the previous manufacturer will need to make adjustments simply to get the new waffer to be able to print these new cpu, gpu etc... but it may free some resource to print more.(I'm sorry english isn't my native language and some of the especially technical terms may differ betwen countries)

iHaunter

Sure the previous manufacturer will need to make adjustments simply to get the new waffer to be able to print these new cpu, gpu etc... but it may free some resource to print more.(I'm sorry english isn't my native language and some of the especially technical terms may differ betwen countries)
Unlikely. The designs are so different from the last system. It'll probably be a year+ before they can start making more XSX or XSS from that factory. When I interned at Intel I got to see a factory and how complicated it is, even for manufacturing. Same reason Sony are choosing to make more PS4s instead of adjusting the factory. Though PS5 is way different than PS4.

Lognor

Banned
This after the news that came out yesterday! LOL

Microsoft can do this pretty easily for a couple of reasons:
1. The Xbox One did not perform that well so pulling the plug isn't as difficult a decision, and probably more importantly
2. Microsoft's decision to go day one on PC is definitely playing into this. They have a huge install base on PC so if they sell fewer Xbox One consoles they can make up software sales on PC.

And we already know Microsoft is done with cross gen games. I'm ready for an end to those!

kingfey

Banned
Unlikely. The designs are so different from the last system. It'll probably be a year+ before they can start making more XSX or XSS from that factory. When I interned at Intel I got to see a factory and how complicated it is, even for manufacturing. Same reason Sony are choosing to make more PS4s instead of adjusting the factory. Though PS5 is way different than PS4.
You also need to deal with logistic issues. A simple change of a line in a warehouse can mess up your production flow, and your workers morals.
They have done that in our work, and it cost us alot of numbers being behind, and losing some clients.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Typically I would associate this move with Sony and why I became a Sony fan in the first place.

MS doing the right thing a lot more often this gen.

I still dont care for their Series S plans, but you cant have everything.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They discontinued One X and the original One's and pledged to only make One S consoles.

But now it seems like they're discontinuing One S as well.

If they think they can pump out the Series S consoles, I guess it makes sense to stop One S production completely.

I know they said they were still making the X1S, and maybe in poorer economies it has still been available, but X1s has seemed to be dead in the States practically since launch. I don't even see a space for it on the shelf at my local BestBuy, etc. I can understand it too, because the XSS is there for only $300 and I'm sure MS would rather you buy that.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that is what the article is actually saying. I read it as if this was meant to be new news. My bad.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Typically I would associate this move to Sony and why I became a Sony fan in the first place.
That is a bad way, to support a company.

Getting rid off old gen in the 1st 2 years is suicidal. You will lose tons of sales, games will preform worse, and you wont have enough sales to fund your next project.

As much as we like to get next gen games, we need to consider the sales of these games. Without enough consoles, you wont get enough sales.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Good on them but the timing is strange

This news is from 2020 why report now (2022)

Counter move from sony news yesterday? ( still producing ps4)

Tripolygon

Banned
That's not how it works. 7nm fabs have already been booked months in advance by AMD. Microsoft and Sony are not direct customers of TSMC when it comes to the SoCs. Microsoft stopped buying them in July of 2020 which means those fabs have already been booked up by someone else. Freeing up more 16nm fab used for last-gen console does not open up more 7nm fabs they are different nodes with different processing.

iHaunter

You also need to deal with logistic issues. A simple change of a line in a warehouse can mess up your production flow, and your workers morals.
They have done that in our work, and it cost us alot of numbers being behind, and losing some clients.
Yeah. it's not as simple adding some equipment. It's A LOT of work! Like A LOT A LOT. Needs planning, coordination, probably years to execute correctly. Then you gotta test, do QA on hardware, what if there's a minor manufacturing issue? Can have millions of defective products.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This after the news that came out yesterday! LOL

Microsoft can do this pretty easily for a couple of reasons:
1. The Xbox One did not perform that well so pulling the plug isn't as difficult a decision, and probably more importantly
2. Microsoft's decision to go day one on PC is definitely playing into this. They have a huge install base on PC so if they sell fewer Xbox One consoles they can make up software sales on PC.

And we already know Microsoft is done with cross gen games. I'm ready for an end to those!

You are also forgetting that xcloud works on Xbox one and other devices and can play series games across there till they get a series console

Lognor

Banned
I thought this was well known
No, it wasn't. We thought they were still making some Xbox One consoles. Now we have confirmation they're not.

And it's a very timely report given the fact that Sony announced they are upping production of the PS4. Good to at least have this reminder

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's not how it works. 7nm fabs have already been booked months in advance by AMD. Microsoft and Sony are not direct customers of TSMC when it comes to the SoCs. Microsoft stopped buying them in July of 2020 which means those fabs have already been booked up by someone else. Freeing up more 16nm fab used for last-gen console does not open up more 7nm fabs they are different nodes with different processing.
Oh and those fabs don't upgrade?It is not sarcasm or anything but as things tends to get smaller and smaller shouldn't those fabs upgrade to accomodate the demand?

TrackZ

Good. Move on. There's especially no need for last gen boxes with the dual S and X strategy. Now start preparing for a Series X mid-gen spec bump release next year. :)

DaGwaphics

Sony's always continued to produce their last gen alongside their current gen. MS has usually stopped production quickly when moving to a new gen — so it's standard affair.

360 E was still in production until early 2016. Production stopped about one calendar year before PS3 which is reasonable given that the system launched a year earlier. We had only seen two transitions before this one, one where they dropped out quickly (OG Xbox) and one where they completed a 10yr production cycle (Xbox 360). Hard to make a trend from that.

This time around I can totally see it because of the complete day one backwards compatibility.

Makes sense, especially if they are going to produce that streaming/GamePass stick along with adding a GamePass app to smart tvs. Those will be far cheaper ways to get GamePass out there en masse, although I was hoping they would do a revision (even if only internal) on the Xbox One S and drop the price like crazy as their entry-level Game Pass machine.

Guessing it wouldn't make sense if the price couldn't be really low as to not still compete with XSS and even if it were it would still cut into those sales so was never going to happen I guess.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That is a bad way, to support a company.

Getting rid off old gen in the 1st 2 years is suicidal. You will lose tons of sales, games will preform worse, and you wont have enough sales to fund your next project.

As much as we like to get next gen games, we need to consider the sales of these games. Without enough consoles, you wont get enough sales.
Why should any console be manufactured in the 10th year of the gen? Gens used to be only 5-6 years long. Now they go on for 7 long years as it is. At some point, it's time to move on. By next year, Sony should have a slim out in the 3rd year of the PS5 cycle. A $299 console. Why should they be selling a 1.8 tflops $299 console a year before the 10 tflops slim becomes available?

We dont need to consider the sales at all. Both the PS5 and Xbox are selling at a record pace despite the chip shortage. Games have always sold to next gen buyers. It's been like this for 30 odd years. There is really no need to support last gen consoles when the hardware sales and first party revenue has never been higher.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh and those fabs don't upgrade?It is not sarcasm or anything but as things tends to get smaller and smaller shouldn't those fabs upgrade to accomodate the demand?

Yes and no, it's like car model production line, you can even sell that system as a whole like some Chinese companies or even Chrysler buying MB E-Class older chassis. 16nm could be put on simpler, less demanding ECU's or machines and keep profiting more from it.

Schmick

dumb comment dude. How is Ms reactionary when they were asked this question? Sony is being reactionary, MS discontinued support in 2020 and announced it back then
Don't expect a reply. The poster has probably realised how stupid the comment was and is embarrassed by it.

Once again another thread proving people don't read the articles.

kingfey

Banned
Why should any console be manufactured in the 10th year of the gen? Gens used to be only 5-6 years long. Now they go on for 7 long years as it is. At some point, it's time to move on. By next year, Sony should have a slim out in the 3rd year of the PS5 cycle. A $299 console. Why should they be selling a 1.8 tflops $299 console a year before the 10 tflops slim becomes available?

We dont need to consider the sales at all. Both the PS5 and Xbox are selling at a record pace despite the chip shortage. Games have always sold to next gen buyers. It's been like this for 30 odd years. There is really no need to support last gen consoles when the hardware sales and first party revenue has never been higher.
Console numbers doesnt guarantee you good game sales. Game rates to consoles is 1/5 for xbox and playstation. At 20m, you cant sell your big games, especially when there are other 3rd party big games.

Games now days are expensive. It cost $100m-$500m to make AAA game. You need to get that money back, and have healthy amount of users buying your console. We are in a 1 year and 3 month period. Both consoles havent hit the 25m console sale mark. So you are dealing with a loss.

Both companies dont want to lose that. Sony doesnt have a back up plan like MS (Xcloud, gamepass, pc day1). and you have 120m/55m users behind. Only an idiot will ignore that cash flows. You might not care about it, but that money is gonna fund your next big game.

Tripolygon

Banned
That's not really the argument. 16nm node is a profitable stable node still being used so they are not going to convert those to a different node. The demand is there for every node, 6nm and 5nm are in volume production and 3nm is about to enter volume production soon, resources are being put into opening new lines for those.

kingfey

Banned
Might not be one for one, but I'd much rather have them spending their entire silicone budget on the new generation. Every wafer used for last-gen production just equals chips that could have been for the Series line instead.
They dont use the same stuff. even if they do, you still have other problems.
Main problem with production is having the logistic for these products. It will take 1-2 years for a warehouse to produce xsx/xss or ps5/ps5d.

You have to account, the staffing, the order for the warehouse, the inventory, the storage, the equipment's. You cant simply transform xbox one factory to xss. or ps4 factory to ps5 and start production right away.

Top Bottom