• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Xbox Game Pass Family and Friends ends in August

DryvBy

Microsoft is ending its Xbox Game Pass Friends & Family plan. The plan had already spread to eight countries as of February, allowing Xbox Game Pass members to share benefits with up to four other friends or family members. There’s no sign if it will ever return.
A Microsoft spokesperson has now confirmed to Eurogamer that the Xbox Game Pass Friends & Family plan will come to a close on August 15th:
The Friends & Family Preview will end on August 15, in all participating countries (Ireland, Colombia, New Zealand, Sweden, Israel, Chile, Hungary, and South Africa). We are no longer accepting new registrations and new member additions to existing plans will no longer be accepted after July 17. The Friends & Family preview was announced in August of 2022 with the intent to learn more about how to shape new Game Pass offerings. We look forward to using those learnings to help create an offer we can bring to more players worldwide in the future.  

Nubulax

Thats rough.. cant wait to see the spin those twitter xbox bros put on this one
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have a burner Twitter account to gain access and just observe the madness. I only recently stumbled across the console warriors. It's crazy, I honestly had no idea that it was still that big of a thing and it's funny cause the ABK deal is causing other random people to notice the same. I'm seeing comments like like, "wtf is this? People are still console warring ?!?🤣"

I just feel embarrassed for them.

Eotheod

Makes sense, most likely had a significantly low signup rate for it to be worth the effort in offering such a subscription level. Shame considering a lot of subscription services don't want to offer family plans anymore which is crap for consumers who actually have families and want individiual ownership without sharing.

Sleepwalker

I have a burner Twitter account to gain access and just observe the madness. I only recently stumbled across the console warriors. It's crazy, I honestly had no idea that it was still that big of a thing and it's funny cause the ABK deal is causing other random people to notice the same. I'm seeing comments like like, "wtf is this? People are still console warring ?!?🤣"

It's so so bad lol. Truly small and sad people the lot of them.

It is just the start. Mark my words in 5 years gamepass will be a full game price per month.
Just look at Office 365 (and Adobe Creative Cloud) if you want to see MS's endgame for this.

You will no longer be able to buy games at all, only rent them for a monthly fee.

And the monthly fee will end up being more than you used to pay for games outright.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just look at Office 365 (and Adobe Creative Cloud) if you want to see MS's endgame for this.

You will no longer be able to buy games at all, only rent them for a monthly fee.

And the monthly fee will end up being more than you used to pay for games outright.
Why people always post this shit? Office 365 only contains a bunch of Microsoft services. Game Pass can not wrap all the games in the Xbox store. Games frequently leave and join Game Pass. And most publishers won't even put there games day one. They will need more subs than Netflix to even start thinking of paying to put every games day one on Game Pass.
Somehow you dream of
  • Game Pass monthly fee costing "more than you used to pay for games outright", or 70+ USD
  • It will still barely have less than 30 million subscribers
  • Somehow all the games in Xbox Store will be on Game Pass
  • They will all be available day one
  • No game will ever leave Game Pass
How do you explain the economics for all this bullshit? Xbox Store makes most of the revenue for the Xbox division, its even more than ActiBliz in its entireity.
FYI even DLC's of first party games don't end up in Game Pass (an exception was made for Hivebusters). Also, you can buy Office as a one time purchase

Last edited:

Nubulax

Pretty simple business plan. Consolidate, become the market leader, become the monopoly. Raise the price.

It will come a point it's 60$ a month and people will be saying they spend 70 a month on games so it's saving them money.
It makes sense people dont see it because they pretend the 360 generation just didnt exist when it comes to any arguments. Look at how the success of the 360 impacted MS and they immediately went the greedy corpo route

MacReady13

I made a comment on a Dustin Legarie (sp) tweet in regards to the deal now being fully approved and the FTC cannot do a thing about it. I said I hate the idea of game pass and renting games. My twitter has gone mental with bots and idiots claiming that xbox won and how great it is to only rent games etc... They're fucking loons. And that isn't just Xbox fans (of which I am 1), that goes for all of these hardcore idiots who are passionate over a multi billion dollar corporation there to bleed you dry.

DaGwaphics

It always seemed like it was too good to be true for an official price, obviously they didn't like the numbers from the test markets. I've seen a few users that already had their friends and family picked out. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Getting thirsty after missing out on all that PS5 Starfield revenue.
Got to make it up somehow since good games don't sell consoles 🤷

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Leave it to GAF to take a peice of info that means something good and twist it into something bad.

It was a test. It's over. They had to end it at some point, and if they liked what they saw they will use it to launch the actual program in more markets.

TransTrender

Gold Member

Leave it to GAF to take a peice of info that means something good and twist it into something bad.

It was a test. It's over. They had to end it at some point, and if they liked what they saw they will use it to launch the actual program in more markets.
Does this count?

DryvBy

Hey don't worry. You'll be able to pay $29.99 a month for The Best Deal In Gaming™ and in 10 years when they run the last bit of talent off from Activision too, you'll get more of those sweet 6/10 direct to video quality games you guys love so much.

radewagon

My wife just signed my daughter and I up for the Nintendo family plan (w/Expansion Pass). She went from having a basic account at 20 dollars to a family plan with extras for a whopping 80 dollars per year. She did this because it streamlines things and offers us all a library of classic games. Thing is, though, that neither my daughter or I would have ever really gotten even the basic plan for ourselves. So, by offering a modest discount for a group of users, Nintendo is now up 60 dollars.

Now that a lot of gamers are heads of households, family plans are an insanely smart decision. MS would be dumb to abandon the concept. If they aren't seeing the upside, then maybe their pricing needs to be adjusted because the plans themselves are a great idea.

Top Bottom