• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Final Bar Line's FFXIV song selection is lacking.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Final Fantasy XIV was given the most representation in Final Bar Line, but the song selection was terrible. 30 songs, and most of them aren't even the most even memorable ones.

Even if we keep it from 1.0 until Shadowbringers, which is what the game seemed to do (Endwalker probably came out too late to include), there are plenty of great songs to pick from:

Like Wayward Daughter.

Or this fucking psycho ass Lakshimi song:

Or Crimson Sunrise:

Or Scale and Steel

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy XIV's soundtrack is absolutely massive. Choosing 30 of the best tracks, you're always going to exclude a huge number of deserving songs. Honestly, they could make an entire season pass (or a whole game itself) dedicated just to XIV.

NecrosaroIII

Final Fantasy XIV's soundtrack is absolutely massive. Choosing 30 of the best tracks, you're always going to exclude a huge number of deserving songs. Honestly, they could make an entire season pass (or a whole game itself) dedicated just to XIV.
This is a true fact. I just feel that they didn't really pick the songs that best represent it as a whole.

Lokaum D+

If this is the correct list from XIV pick up, there is plenty of great songs.
  • Answers (EMS) - Good
  • Hard to Miss (BMS) - Ok ish
  • On Westerly Winds (FMS) - Good
  • The Land Breathes (BMS) - Meh
  • Serenity (FMS) - God Tier
  • Primal Judgment (BMS) - Trash
  • Torn from the Heavens (BMS) - Meh
  • To the Sun (FMS) - Good
  • Nemesis (BMS) - Meh
  • Under the Weight (BMS) - God Tier
  • Engage (FMS) - Good
  • Fallen Angel (BMS) - God Tier
  • Good King Moggle Mog XII (BMS) - GOD TIER
  • Ultima (BMS) - Trash
  • Through the Maelstrom (BMS) - Ok ish
  • A Light in the Storm (FMS) - God Tier
  • Oblivion (BMS) - God Tier
  • Ominous Prognisticks (BMS) - OK ish
  • Ink Long Dry (FMS) - Meh
  • Heroes (BMS) - Good
  • Locus (BMS) - GOD TIER
  • Metal - Brute Justice Mode (BMS) - GOD TIER
  • Exponential Entropy (BMS) - Ok ish
  • Moebius (BMS) - God Tier
  • Rise (BMS) - SOKEN TIER
  • The Worm's Tail (BMS) - SOKEN TIER
  • Wayward Daughter (BMS) - SOKEN TIER
  • Triumph (BMS) - Meh
  • Sunrise (BMS) - Good
  • A Long Fall (BMS) - SOKEN TIER
  • What Angel Wakes Me (BMS) - SOKEN TIER
  • Promises to Keep (BMS) - God Tier
  • Who Brings Shadow (BMS) - SOKEN TIER

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can’t fucking believe that someone on this planet is saying that the FFXIV library of songs are lacking when XIV was the only game with 30+ songs while the other games had like 13 songs. I don’t care if you didn’t enjoy those songs, at least you got 30+ songs compared to games that actually deserved 30+ songs.

Last edited:

Kaachan

I cannot fathom the reason why XIV got the most songs of all

Meanwhile other mainline titles got what.. 10-15 songs on average

0oshiSX.png

s2JvX3e.png

Yikes.

Last edited:

linko9

Have put over 400 hours in the game, and I'm sure I'll be playing for years to come.

As someone who never played FFXIV, my impressions of the game's music in FBL was initially extremely negative. I liked most of the music that was in Curtain Call, which I think was mostly from ARR, but the stuff from the expansions has a pretty... different feel. In most songs with vocals, the vocals are recorded and mixed (and in some cases composed and/or performed) very poorly. I don't see how anyone can listen to "Rise" and not cringe— it's like a c-tier 3d Sonic song that they payed some guy $50 on fiverr to mix (and they put TWO versions of it in the game!). Other songs are just bad imitations of genres that I don't really like, i.e. Oblivion is a bad Avril Lavigne knockoff.

As happens with most music, the more you listen to it, the more you like it, and by now I can say that there are only a few FF14 songs that bother me in the game (still amazed by the terribleness of Rise). I've even come to like some songs that I initially hated, like A Long Fall and Exponential Entropy.

But now for the song selection— I eventually listened to the whole original Uematsu soundtrack and the ARR soundtrack, and was surprised to find that they're both full of bangers (especially the Uematsu one). So I'd agree with the basic idea that the song selection wasn't great in FBL, since they clearly picked songs based on being tied to important moments in the game, rather than their quality (IMO). But that's sort of how it has to be. As much as I'd love to have some of the great tracks that no one remembers from the game, they're obviously going to pick the ones that play in major boss battles and story moments, even if some of them are terrible. Also it's clear to me that FF14 players just have very different taste in music than I do (maybe just because their ears have been beaten down by hundreds of hours of playing the game). Like the fact that Rise is universally praised by FF14 players will always amaze me. So from what I can tell, they picked the right songs to make most FF14 players happy, and with over 30 songs I don't think it's really reasonable to complain.

My personal unreasonable complaint is that the entire FF8 soundtrack needs to be in the game. Every single track.

NecrosaroIII

Have put over 400 hours in the game, and I'm sure I'll be playing for years to come.

As someone who never played FFXIV, my impressions of the game's music in FBL was initially extremely negative. I liked most of the music that was in Curtain Call, which I think was mostly from ARR, but the stuff from the expansions has a pretty... different feel. In most songs with vocals, the vocals are recorded and mixed (and in some cases composed and/or performed) very poorly. I don't see how anyone can listen to "Rise" and not cringe— it's like a c-tier 3d Sonic song that they payed some guy $50 on fiverr to mix (and they put TWO versions of it in the game!). Other songs are just bad imitations of genres that I don't really like, i.e. Oblivion is a bad Avril Lavigne knockoff.

As happens with most music, the more you listen to it, the more you like it, and by now I can say that there are only a few FF14 songs that bother me in the game (still amazed by the terribleness of Rise). I've even come to like some songs that I initially hated, like A Long Fall and Exponential Entropy.

But now for the song selection— I eventually listened to the whole original Uematsu soundtrack and the ARR soundtrack, and was surprised to find that they're both full of bangers (especially the Uematsu one). So I'd agree with the basic idea that the song selection wasn't great in FBL, since they clearly picked songs based on being tied to important moments in the game, rather than their quality (IMO). But that's sort of how it has to be. As much as I'd love to have some of the great tracks that no one remembers from the game, they're obviously going to pick the ones that play in major boss battles and story moments, even if some of them are terrible. Also it's clear to me that FF14 players just have very different taste in music than I do (maybe just because their ears have been beaten down by hundreds of hours of playing the game). Like the fact that Rise is universally praised by FF14 players will always amaze me. So from what I can tell, they picked the right songs to make most FF14 players happy, and with over 30 songs I don't think it's really reasonable to complain.

My personal unreasonable complaint is that the entire FF8 soundtrack needs to be in the game. Every single track.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Alexander raid stuff either.

FFXIV has a really eclectic mix of music. One moment you'll have something like:

And then you'll have something like this:

Lokaum D+

4.8K hours here, Rise was one of the best OST in the game, back on the day when Alexander was endgame content this music was fire.

Edens FF8 just explode my mind back in the day, sooooo goood.

Last edited:
In most songs with vocals, the vocals are recorded and mixed (and in some cases composed and/or performed) very poorly.

This has been my one consistent complaint with Soken's work, which is otherwise incredible. Why bother putting lyrics in a song only to have them be unintelligible? Dragonsong is one of my favorite FF14 tracks in large part because the lyrics are crystal clear, though that one was composed by Uematsu.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I hear that. But at least the balance was wack back then, so you could clear the Ultima fight in 20 seconds, before it could really kick in

Lokaum D+

I hear that. But at least the balance was wack back then, so you could clear the Ultima fight in 20 seconds, before it could really kick in
Ultima was more a 2 min fight then a 20 sec one, Lahabrea was 20 sec for sure, anyway after years of this my brain have grown tired of this theme.

Top Bottom