• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most accurate review i seen of Metroid Dread

SantaC

Gold Member

She speaks the truth while getting downvoted by rabid ninfanboys.

Basically her bullet points are:

-Bad mapsystem
-Stealth sections suck and takes away from exploration. Ruined the game.
-Dumb cutscenes and QTE prompts
-Forgettable music
-Should not be full priced because there are cheaper and better metroidvanias out there

Not surprised about these compliants when MercurySteam is involved. I have more faith in Retro Studios.

Buggy Loop

The cutscenes were short and sweet. You can run past almost all EMMI sections, I don’t even recall stealthing outside of a few attempts when you get the cloak. So i disagree.

Also price is very subjective, I must have clocked 15 hours, that’s 4$/hour entertainment, for a 2D Metroid sequel we’ve been waiting for 17 years and also ends up my GOTY. I’ve bought random shit at 20$ that I felt was more disappointing.

Last edited:
Lol, agree on music, but otherwise? If you don't get it it's worse only for you.
I started the game and hating it at first, then it became "good game, just not for my taste'. About halfway through it became my GOTY. Then beated it and it became one of my favorite games of all time and it's exactly because it's DIFFERENT and focused at the same time. Now I can only say that I've changed only music while in the beginning I wanted to change about everything in this game for me to love it. Learn how to love?

Spaceman292

Banned

-Bad mapsystem
-Forgettable music
-Should not be full priced because there are cheaper and better metroidvanias out there

Not surprised about these compliants when MercurySteam is involved. I have more faith in Retro Studios.

Every single one of those points is wrong. Except the one about music maybe.

Fbh

Didn't watch the video but I sort of agree with some of the bullet points, specially regarding the annoying EMMI encoutners, forgettable music and inflated price. I didn't have any issues with the map and while the cutscenes aren't particularly good they are such a minor part of the game I don't think they are worth mentioning as a major talking point.

It's a good game, I just don't think it's particularly better than any other good games in the genre like Ori, Hollow Knight or Guacamelee 2 ...all of which launches for half as much (or less).

You said this is the most accurate review and then make it obvious you haven't even played the game.

Clearly, you have an agenda and scoured the Internet to finally find someone who disliked the game to back what you want to be reality.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I don't know who that is, but I have my own opinions, lol.

I think of what you pointed out the forgettable OST is probably the thing that stands out the most, especially since I've seen a good number of people say the same thing. The only things that really stood out were the Metroid melodies we all recognize.

I do think nintendo is getting away with highway robbery with their pricing.

If this game were on any other console it would be 40 dollar at best. It took me two play sessions to finish it and i got lost several times. There’s just nothing about it that feels like a 60 dollar value.

And knowing nintendo it will stay 60 dollars for the unforseeable future. I beat it and honestly have no reason to ever pick it up again, theres nothing new to discover.

And i know it’s Metroid but nintendo are so incredibly lazy with storytelling, the game just ends and thats it. You get a little cute jpeg illustration and if you really push yourself you can beat your record and get another little jpeg gallery piece. Lol its like at least give us some better unlockables for more playthroughs

Last edited:

Orta

Banned

-Bad mapsystem
-Forgettable music

You don't like the game, you've found someone who doesn't like the game, therefore TEH BEST REVIEW EVAR!

Buggy Loop

You don't like the game, you've found someone who doesn't like the game, therefore TEH BEST REVIEW EVAR!

Social Media Animation GIF by Jimmy Arca

I liked the game a lot. It has gotten me into Metroidvania’s; since beating it I have also gone back and done Bloodstained and Super Metroid.

Saying that though, I don’t disagree with anything Pam said. Good and reasonable review. Things I enjoy can still have flaws.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Can't say I agree with the entire review, however.. I do think the Stealth parts do break immersion somewhat. It changes the mood of the game, for sure, but what I am not sure is if it's for the better...
The thing I do agree 100% with.. is the Map... it's fucking terrible. Shit looks like someone vomited digital graffiti unto the screen.

Woah she is inconsistent. I only listened 7 min bc of 2 things I'm going to mention. But, I mean, if a reviewer complaines about the game doing one thing, and later complaining about not doing the same thing, that is just a silly silly reviewer.

Anywho:
- she first complsins about grapple beam being in a hard to reach and hold button, but later doesn't like that grapple beam is only used in one section of the game (???)
- she also says this is her only second Metroid game after Super, but also complains that she doesn't like stealth sections because stealth is not a thing she want's in her Metroid game... seriously?

In only first few minutes she also complains about being very hard to hold R button all the time to use missiles (lol) and intro cutscene being too long (it's only like 60-90 seconds).

Scrapping bottom of the barrel to find complains.

Buggy Loop

They are not a good developer. They folded Castlevania.

Oh yeah? As if being under Konami‘s wing for any projects during those years after we now know what unraveled for every studios under them is of any help? They made the best they could with the budget and decision making Konami gave them. Considering that even Kojima had to secretly hide budgets away from Konami management’s eyes to realize his vision, it’s pretty narrowing for a Italian Spanish 3rd party.

It’s a fucking miracle their first Castlevania was even well received by the media.

And somehow this team cannot evolve? That’s what you’re insinuating? It’s pretty telling in your character then..

Last edited:
Top Bottom