• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most accurate review i seen of Metroid Dread

Like I said, she wasn't inconsistent. You weren't listening.
Me quoting her means I haven't been listening? Don't be silly. You just want to force me to here things that aren't there.
I'm pretty sure METROID falls into the Metroidvania genre.
What if we just said it isn't? Dread is pretty linear, so why not just say it's an action game. One cannot put a game into a category just because of name, the same way Halo Wars isn't a FPS.
No, because again, you weren't listening to the review if you think she spent seven minutes on "small complaints."
You're just having a hard one in your pants for a reviewer (even though she's no hot) and playing a white knight here. I have totally heard things she said in first 7 minutes, so telling me I haven't is just silly.
Well you showed me.
and now you get it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

She speaks the truth while getting downvoted by rabid ninfanboys.

Basically her bullet points are:

-Bad mapsystem
-Stealth sections suck and takes away from exploration. Ruined the game.
-Dumb cutscenes and QTE prompts
-Forgettable music
-Should not be full priced because there are cheaper and better metroidvanias out there

Not surprised about these compliants when MercurySteam is involved. I have more faith in Retro Studios.

Map is incredibly easy to understand and figure out. Unless you are mentally retarded.

There are no stealth section. Emmis are just speed run zones that you can easily run past. Every. Single. Time. And they should never take more than 2-3 minutes unless you REALLY suck at the game.

Cutscenes are short and to the point. Usually to highlight a badass moment and in two parts, just as very short exposition. Again only a few minutes each so they never outstay their welcome.

Music is subjective so I can't say anything. I personally wouldn't listen to it outside the game, but it worked for playing and building atmosphere.

Honestly mate, it just seems like you have a bone to pick with MercurySTeam and are desperate to find some sorta "GOTCHA THEY SUCK!" moment.

Banned
-Bad mapsystem

yeah I will ignore the rest because that's simply bullshit already. the map system is absolutely at least good enough for what the game is and is extremely easy to use as well

you gotta be a bit dense to not get the map system

I ignore game reviews for a reason nowadays.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I would argue that the people that complain about map design usually suck at the game they’re complaining about.

ztL-vzyL_400x400.jpg

Davey Cakes

People bitched about Hollow Knight’s map system too. It wasn’t that bad.

If it’s not literally the very common Symphony of the Night style map then it’s garbage, apparently.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You're just having a hard one in your pants for a reviewer (even though she's no hot) and playing a white knight here. I have totally heard things she said in first 7 minutes, so telling me I haven't is just silly.

Male, female, cat or dog, if you're grossly misrepresenting someone because you've got a "hard one" for a developer then yes, you're going to get criticized. You didn't hear her moan about the issue for seven minutes because she didn't spend seven minutes on the issue. You didn't hear her being inconsistent because the criticism she offered wasn't a one or the other situation. You watched someone (for seven minutes out of a 20 minute or so video) offer spectacularly mild criticism of a game and decided you needed to stand up for the poor developer. Bully for you.

Heaven forbid you say anything bad about Nintendo or Metroid. I personally think Mercury Steam's output as game designers is pretty garbage but I'm willing to try this game at some point just because it's Metroid. Stick to your guns OP. Don't let anyone try and put you down.

Top Bottom