• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Jared Leto Circling 'Tron' Reboot at Disney (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtesy of THR:
The studio is in the very early stages of development for a new Tron movie, with Oscar-winning actor Jared Leto circling to star, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

No writer has been hired at this exploratory stage, and no filmmaker is involved. Justin Springer, who co-produced Tron: Legacy and exec produced the Tom Cruise sci-fi movie Oblivion, will produce. Leto and and his producing partner Emma Ludbrook would also be involved in some producing capacity if the project moves forward.

But computer programs never die, it seems, they just get upgrades.

Sources say this new project is not a direct sequel and is being built out of the source code of the deleted Tron 3 script. Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.

At this stage it's too early to tell if Kosinski or actors from Tron: Legacy will return.

Jawmuncher

Very conflicted. I want Tron back, but a reboot seems really odd. The one thing everyone agrees on is that the look and soundtrack of legacy was amazing and should go forward. I dunno how'd they'd top it with a reboot.

I'm glad hearing TRON is not completely derezzed at Disney but not sure to feel on the unsure tone given off by the article if this is apparently a "soft reboot" from what i'm getting, even though, uh, Legacy was already a "soft reboot" in a way. I hope in the end it still turns out as a continuation of that story and has Flynn and Quorra and Tron himself and what not . Maybe Leto will partially take over as a new protagonist since he's a big name star compared to Garrett Hedlund. Kinda like what they're doing in Pacific Rim 2 with Boyega taking over.

I don't have any opinion on Leto other than being shitty in Squad and doing shitty things in the making of that, hopefully they got him on Adderall during this and he doesn't try to live in an computer for 9 months as method acting or something

jelly

Sources say this new project is not a direct sequel and is being built out of the source code of the deleted Tron 3 script. Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.

Wait, are they talking about the script or a script.

Ashhong

Very conflicted. I want Tron back, but a reboot seems really odd. The one thing everyone agrees on is that the look and soundtrack of legacy was amazing and should go forward. I dunno how'd they'd top it with a reboot.

Not sure why the article calls it a reboot when it says that it's being built out of a Tron 3 script. Conflicting words imo

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't like Jared Leto, please keep him away from this. I'd rather have no Tron than a Tron with Leto involved.

J_Viper

If this means the role of Joker is now able to be filled by Walton Goggins, I'm all for it.

Tron Legacy sure looked great. That's about it.

Blader

The time to reboot a franchise is 30 years after the last movie, not 6-7 years after the direct sequel to the movie from 30 years ago.

TRON Legacy, and also by extension Oblivion, were directed the hell out of by Kosinki, gorgeous stuff in those movies, even if the story and writing could've been better, i'd say bring him back and bring onboard a better writer(s)

oa4YzZP.jpg

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Needs to be directed by Kosinski or no sale

The writing is where it needs work, focus on that instead of the actors.

Don't care, TRON is TRON.
I'm still blaming Brad Bird for this fucking mess

AND YOU SHOULD

Disney: Hey Brad Bird! We've got you George Clooney and 200 million dollars, what do you got for us?

Brad Bird: I'M GONNA MAKE HIM BE KINDA A PEDO AND ALSO WATCH THIS GIRL GET RAN OVER WITH NO CUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom