• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Jared Leto Circling 'Tron' Reboot at Disney (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardon

Very conflicted. I want Tron back, but a reboot seems really odd. The one thing everyone agrees on is that the look and soundtrack of legacy was amazing and should go forward. I dunno how'd they'd top it with a reboot.

Same here. Leto can be one hell of an actor with good direction, which he obviously didn't have in Suicide Squad, but rebooting TRON so quickly feels odd. Like I wouldn't mind it if it was entirely in the Grid, but if the core from the 3rd movie is being used, I'm not sure how an invasion movie would work so quickly after Legacy if everything is ignored like Sam, Quorra, etc.

So yeah, here's hoping this isn't a complete cluster from a narrative standpoint.

Lmo911

What does tomorrow land have to do with tron?

At the time Disney had just bought Marvel and Lucasfilm. Tomorrowland was a big investment into their own original properties. Once it bombed and they saw how much money Marvel and Lucasfilm could pull in, they decided to put those kind of projects on hold.

Hey! That DC film won an Oscar too.

And he really wasnt all bad, he just wasnt Ledger. Which is to be expected when you take that kind of a role so soon after the death of an actor who really nailed it.

At the time Disney had just bought Marvel and Lucasfilm. Tomorrowland was a big investment into their own original properties. Once it bombed and they saw how much money Marvel and Lucasfilm could pull in, they decided to put those kind of projects on hold.

Ah. Well tomorrow land is a new franchise. Tron isnt. So not really the same. Tron is known and it will always have that advantage.

What does tomorrow land have to do with tron?
Tomorrowland was a film by Brad Bird, where Disney basically said "You made a bucket of money with MI:4, now do it for us because we employed your earlier!" and gave him $200 million. He made that, and it bombed so terribly. As a result, Disney said something along the lines of "This bombed so bad, we can't really afford any more big bombs so shut down any projects which have a chance of doing bad." And Tron 3 was one because Tron 2 really didn't do so hot for the amount of money, time, and promotion spent on it.

Falchion

I just want a follow-up to Legacy with better realized characters and a more detailed story. Everything else about the movie was top notch.

Not like this Disney. Don't kill Quorra. Please :(

tumblr_n9g2nh9J3o1rrkahjo1_500.gif

Dont take her from me

This too. She was great and this picture has been my Steam avatar for the past 7 years.

Tomorrowland was a film by Brad Bird, where Disney basically said "You made a bucket of money with MI:4, now do it for us because we employed your earlier!" and gave him $200 million. He made that, and it bombed so terribly. As a result, Disney said something along the lines of "This bombed so bad, we can't really afford any more big bombs so shut down any projects which have a chance of doing bad." And Tron 3 was one because Tron 2 really didn't do so hot for the amount of money, time, and promotion spent on it.

Yeah that i can understand but still, i refuse to believe that in the digital age that we live in, that no one wants to see a movie like Tron. That doesnt compute in my head. Like anything else in life, people want a good product. Im totally down for a good tron movie and if they 'confirm' daft punk for the sequel, ill gladly pay 15$ at the very least just to hear more of their music.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seeing Jared Leto get sucked into his Nintendo Switch just wont hold the same charm as the original, or the sequel

i refuse to believe that in the digital age that we live in, that no one wants to see a movie like Tron. That doesnt compute in my head.

Well, part of the problem is this digital age: When TRON was conceived, the general public's knowledge of how their electronics worked was just thick enough that the fantasy notion of little tiny people in your machines making everything go could find purchase. You fast-forward thirty years and not only has technology gotten exponentially more advanced, but general knowledge of how it works has deepened to the point where the fantasy of "oh, you can get sucked into a computer world by a digitizer or whatever" just... stalls out.

It's just as ridiculous/unbelievable as it was then, of course. But it's just harder to buy into the basic conceit of the series now. When everything was wood-paneled and blocky, neon-gridded and fantastical/futuristic, it wasn't as hard.

There's a weird disconnect between the future and the retro-future. And so you end up with people who are like "Why the fuck would I want to watch this weird bit of nostalgia bait where I have to believe there's a bunch of tiny people living in my fucking smartphone throwing the cantaloupes in Fruit Ninja or whatever?"

zerosum

I wouldn't mind Leto being the new program seizing control after Clu. Perhaps he can be Dillinger's Jr.'s creation? Just like Sark was in the original.

780fXpcl.jpg

I like this. Something along these lines would be good with me.

Well, more Tron in whatever fashion would be good for me.

Nope sorry Leto youre not good enough for Tron. Also we dont need a reboot. Just leave Tron alone go remake Blackhole or something else.

Soft reboot with Olivia Wilde and Daft Punk still involved please, the franchise probably needs to have a fresh start but work it so the best parts of Legacy aren't disregarded.

Well, part of the problem is this digital age: When TRON was conceived, the general public's knowledge of how their electronics worked was just thick enough that the fantasy notion of little tiny people in your machines making everything go could find purchase. You fast-forward thirty years and not only has technology gotten exponentially more advanced, but general knowledge of how it works has deepened to the point where the fantasy of "oh, you can get sucked into a computer world by a digitizer or whatever" just... stalls out.

It's just as ridiculous/unbelievable as it was then, of course. But it's just harder to buy into the basic conceit of the series now. When everything was wood-paneled and blocky, neon-gridded and fantastical/futuristic, it wasn't as hard.

First: Joe six-pack isn't any more knowledgeable about how his electronics work than he was in 1980. Yeah, there are enthusiasts online and plenty of people in the industry but the 80s had nerds too.

Second: suspension of disbelief isn't really all that hard. No one really thinks there are space wizards in a galaxy far far away, or sparkly vampires just waiting to make them queen but these concepts pull in buckets of money anyway.

If the movie is done well, people show up. Tron Legacy did OK at the box office. 400 million worldwide isn't a bad haul for a franchise that hadn't been seen since the 80s.

After the MCU took off after Avengers though, putting money into it instead of more MCU films doesn't really make financial sense.

First: Joe six-pack isn't any more knowledgeable about how his electronics work than he was in 1980.

No, but the specific aspect of the fantasy that TRON is built on has, itself, not aged all that well, is all. I'm not suggesting there's a bunch of knuckle-dragging luddites out there who need to absolutely believe there are little people living in their Playstation 4. Just that the scenario has to seem attractive enough for people to want to suspend disbelief to enter that world.

It'll be easier to suspend that disbelief if you never spend any time in the outside world, is more what I'm arguing. Don't introduce that aspect at all. Hint at it maybe, obliquely reference it. But don't go into it. Keep everything set 100% in the computer world, concerned with the computer world. That makes the fantasy more immersive, and makes that suspension of disbelief a little lighter.

gabbo

Nah, Legacy's just a direct sequel with new equipment.

Battlestar started all the way over, and retooled the concept.

I meant more in tone and aesthetic, as it was darker and more serious than the first, in the same way BSG2004's story was compared to the original. As much as flashy neon and Daft Punk can be seen as darker

I meant more in tone and aesthetic, as it was darker and more serious than the first, in the same way BSG2004's story was compared to the original. As much as flashy neon and Daft Punk can be seen as darker

Okay, yeah, I get you. I was speaking more to the retooling of the entire concept, apologies. By "Battlestar Galactica" I don't mean making it darker. I mean completely divorcing itself from what came before and taking the ideas and repurposing them for something new.

gabbo

Okay, yeah, I get you. I was speaking more to the retooling of the entire concept, apologies. By "Battlestar Galactica" I don't mean making it darker. I mean completely divorcing itself from what came before and taking the ideas and repurposing them for something new.

Ah, well in that case, no I'd rather they not go that route, at least not completely.
Hell, even bsg2004 had boxy and the old cylons

rou021

I can see it now...Tr0n: Alpha |OT| That's Leto. He fights for the producers. *weird growl*

I enjoyed Tron: Legacy and would like a sequel, but I don't see the point in a reboot. If it wasn't for Jeff Bridges and nostalgia, I doubt Legacy would have done as...okay as it did. I'm just not sure the general movie-goer is that interested in the concept of Tron's virtual world. Maybe they're hoping to piggyback off of Ready Player One's potential success.

Loxley

People hating on an Oscar winner because he was "bad" in a DC film now?

How ridiculous!

It's weird how even though everyone was fawning over him after his fantastic performance in Dallas Buyer's Club, he's some blight on Hollywood now because of a "meh" performance in a bad DCEU movie.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could see him fitting pretty well in this role, to be honest. I'm not even a huge Jared Leto fan, but he's not bad. He definitely has that "in melodramatic awe" look down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom