• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding Ant-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

I'm actually worried how people will actually handle a significant decline in marvels box office performance. I'm worried they might resort to violent terrorist actions to try and get people back in the cinema.

For those saying it bombed, I accept this.

If they're saying it's "bad", then that's a subject of taste. If they acknowledge that they like the movie, but a year or two ago said it looked like shit, then commence crow.

Can't wait that long or follow users even more closely by following up on their opinions through NeoGAF's search engine on movies you've seen recently monthly threads. This is weird enough already!

Could've just stuck with box office predictions, but the opinion stuff is just incomplete for Dalek's intentions.

I will never understand the obsession with screaming "You were wrong!" on the Internet. Seems like some people need other's opinions shot down to validate their own.

Agreed, It's kind of pathetic honestly. I still remember a dude who tried really hard to get others to "eat crow" when Myself and others said Splatoon wouldn't do too well. He ultimately didn't get to post the thread because while it did make a million sales it's by no means a console seller or a defining title. But he kept bringing up this list he had made of comments until people started shutting him down.

Never really understood the desire to shame others.

Ant-Man was a really dangerous move for marvel and I think it's done as good as they could have hoped to be honest. It's not the biggest movie but it's very well put together and while some characters are underdeveloped it was a joy to watch had some legitimate funny moments and was a really refreshing movie.

They don't have an easy road ahead.

• Captain America Civil War could upset lots of people
    especially if Cap dies so bucky can take the role
  • Doctor Strange is going to be a real departure, magic and supernatural elements might be a bridge to far but the fandom does love bumblebee cobblepot
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is a fairly safe movie, introducing new important characters is the biggest risk but I have no doubts
  • Spiderman is a ticket seller but the actors age is cause for a slight pause
  • Thor Ragnarok isn't going to shatter records the movies are always rated fairly average
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 1, I have doubts many of the current avengers will even star in this, a weaker roster could put people off
  • Black Panther Between his character being lesser known and the difficulty of setting a movie in a location like Wakanda this doesn't have a lot of draw for some
  • Captain Marvel, Female lead could put (dumb) people off
  • Avengers Infinity War Part 2, Safe movie, Thanos is beat
  • Inhumans Will people still care? This is 2019, I'll be teleporting to work and busy playing Final Fantasy 52 on my XStation Revolution.

BadAss2961

lol. Marvel fans, come get your boy. This isn't even a breakout hit, it's par for the course for MCU movie #15 or whatever it is.

So much salt in this thread.

Really through, saying anything about crow eating or those being salty should be banned.

I'm curious though way people want the MCU to fail? I wasn't "into" the MCU until early this year, so I missed all the drama before its inception.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Not to mention it's a local estimated weekend number.

For all we know the movie could end up making 150mill worldwide for 800mill during it's theatrical run.

800 mill would put it ahead of every Iron Man except 3, and only behind the Avengers in terms of gross for a MCU film, they all opened between 174 and 207 million. That beats Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, everything.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Really through, saying anything about crow eating or those being salty should be banned.

I'm curious though way people want the MCU to fail? I wasn't "into" the MCU until early this year, so I missed all the drama before its inception.

popular things must die

Hm...interesting thread, but yeah, I fail to see the crow being eaten.

For me - an admitted Edgar Wright fanboy - the change of directors always led me to think that it'd be okay, but not great. Having seen the film last night, I still hold this opinion. Some really great, inspired action scenes, but largely a pretty generic-feeling film that's not bad, but not awesome.

On the box office front, the only film that it was really opening up to this weekend was Trainwreck which did amazing for what it was, but would never be able to compete with a Marvel film. I'm curious to see how it would have done had it come out on the same weekend as Minions.

StoopKid

I liked the movie, but this thread is embarrassing.

Just enjoy it yourself

Why are crow threads all of sudden a bad thing or embarrassing ?

Hm...interesting thread, but yeah, I fail to see the crow being eaten.

For me - an admitted Edgar Wright fanboy - the change of directors always led me to think that it'd be okay, but not great. Having seen the film last night, I still hold this opinion. Some really great, inspired action scenes, but largely a pretty generic-feeling film that's not bad, but not awesome.

On the box office front, the only film that it was really opening up to this weekend was Trainwreck which did amazing for what it was, but would never be able to compete with a Marvel film. I'm curious to see how it would have done had it come out on the same weekend as Minions.

Can't you say this about any film?

I wonder how fast 7would have done if it came out on the same week as aou.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

comic movie wars. marvel vs fox vs warner bros. id bail out now if i were you.

Real Hero

tumblr_lqbgks0vAM1qc4y5qo1_250.gif

PopeReal

Got to love people who attack others on Gaf for spending too much time on Gaf.

So the OP spent some time one here to make this thread? How much time do you guys spend here? And if you think the thread is dumb, why are you in the thread?

As far as the topic goes, if people are going to post things it is fair for them to be brought up later. Welcome to the internet. Deal with it or don't post.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ya'll should have listened to me as per my prediction in the Ant-Man OT:

I doubt it'll even break 60 million OW.

I TOLD y'all this movie would be a flop. I doubt it'll even have legs as nobody is interested in a guy who can shrink or in Paul Rudd as a leading man.

M4oe5vt.gif
M4oe5vt.gif
M4oe5vt.gif

Coming off of Age of Ultron, which was also a disappointment, critically and commercially (falling way short of the 230 million OW predictions), this is now two poor, less-than-expected performances for Marvel in a row. Ant-Man is the first Marvel film I've skipped on OW and I feel many others are in the same boat. If Civil War is really Chris Evans' last film as Cap, that'll be my last movie in this dwindling franchise.

The MCU is done.

Because some people consider it embarrassing to spend a large amount of your time systematically documenting people's expectations about a film, when said film's success or failure shouldn't matter to you anyway. It's even more embarrassing when these same people's estimations of the film so far hold largely true (64 Metacritic score signaling, good, but not great and opening weekend numbers that are only $8 million higher than a film about obnoxious yellow goombas that opened a week ago).

Can't you say this about any film?

I wonder how fast 7would have done if it came out on the same week as aou.

Sure you can. But given how overwhelmingly successful Minions was in its opening weekend, and how fairly average of an opening weekend Ant-Man had in the face of no big competition, I posit that my scenario would be more interesting.

Dalek

Are you the same guy who keeps that giant list of people who thought Splatoon wouldn't be successful?

No not me. That sounds like something a LOSER would do.

For clarification-I kept urls of the threads! Not the actual posts. But who cares. I am embracing my L. It's a nice conversation piece.

Going into the weekend, analysts expected “Ant-Man” to top $60 million, but its opening is similar to “The Incredible Hulk,”

Wait, who's eating crow here? Obviously it didn't bomb, but I imagine that Marvel are incredibly disappointed with its performance and are reassessing their forecasts for Black Panther and Doctor Strange based on this opening weekend.

Nether!

I can't speak to your question in the sense of any kind of shift in attitude towards threads of this kind - I haven't participated in them and my personal opinion has not changed.

I find the idea of meticulously documenting opinions online with the purpose of releasing them later as some kind of exposé to justify your own opinion to be a hollow waste of time.

I don't understand the endgame - "you better think twice about expressing your opinion about an unreleased film in the future when I'm on the case!"

I remember making it very much stated that I thought the first trailer was terrible in its thread but I don't think I said that I expected the movie to be bad, only that I was skeptical

good to see i wasn't quoted in the op

Wait, who's eating crow here? Obviously it didn't bomb, but I imagine that Marvel are incredibly disappointed with its performance and are reassessing their forecasts for Black Panther and Doctor Strange based on this opening weekend.

Wasn't this quite a bit cheaper than their usual fair? I'd imagine they're mildly disappointed at worst.

Granted, if Edgar Wright stayed on, I bet they'd have gotten an extra 40 bucks.

I say this as someone who loves Edgar Wright.

(Honestly, I think had Edgar Wright directed it, the reviews would have been better and they'd have pulled in a few more skeptics through that alone)

Guardians of the Galaxy's thread I understand, but this?

It marks Marvel’s 12th consecutive first place opening, although “Ant-Man” isn’t at the level of other, bigger-name costumed heroes like Captain America, Thor and Iron Man, all of whom performed better out of the gate with their solo adventures. Going into the weekend, analysts expected “Ant-Man” to top $60 million, but its opening is similar to “The Incredible Hulk,” which earned an initial $55 million on its way to a $134 million U.S. haul.

Considering how far Marvel have come, that's not impressive. It's not bad either however, but being compared to the Incredible Hulk is kind of selling it short. (ha, get it) It's not even smashing on RT, so I don't know why people are calling people all abroad for a shame game. It has the same RT rating as IRON MAN 3 and we all know how that movie is treated by the general populous now. Again, Guardians of the Galaxy, despite it being just okay to me compared to others reception of it, definitely deserved its thread. This? Just comes off as incredibly insecure.

A lot of people I know are kind of sick of so many superhero movies, but I'm sure if given a chance, they'd like Ant-Man way more than Age of Ultron given its smaller scope, (ha I did it it again) and more personal, coherent story.

Best wishes.

StoopKid

Because some people consider it embarrassing to spend a large amount of your time systematically documenting people's expectations about a film, when said film's success or failure shouldn't matter to you anyway. It's even more embarrassing when these same people's estimations of the film so far hold largely true (64 Metacritic score signaling, good, but not great and opening weekend numbers that are only $8 million higher than a film about obnoxious yellow goombas that opened a week ago).

Sure you can. But given how overwhelmingly successful Minions was in its opening weekend, and how fairly average of an opening weekend Ant-Man had in the face of no big competition, I posit that my scenario would be more interesting.

It has a 79% on RT if we're going to play this game. Also that's how the box office works certain movies have good legs. Doesn't mean it's a failure. Ala inside out it opened up at number 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom