• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 410 70.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 108 18.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
For your main television used for TV watching, gaming, etc... is it OLED or LCD (or something else)? I'm just curious what's most common on GAF these days. Also, how long have you had it?

I'll start - I don't currently own a TV but I've had this LG 27UK600-W (IPS) monitor for about 5 years iirc. I'm hoping to buy a TV later this year though.

Last edited:
OLED, seriously it’s probably the most significant upgrade PQ wise you’ll see in recent times. The infinite contrast will make the colors pop way more and it’s noticeable.

I’ve had a 65” LG B model from like 5 years ago, still amazing no burn in issues although it has some dead pixels on the edges (it was a display model I bought for cheap so makes sense). Bought 77 inch CX during Covid and it’s stunning and also works flawlessly, no burn in. I got the Alienware QD OLED last week and will report what I think once I have a chance to open it.

OLED just makes everything better, the Switch, OG Vita, iPhones, etc. all better with OLED.

Last edited:
got 2 oled tvs. both LG (cx + c1). i won't buy anything less than an OLED going forward. they are amazing.

if anything happened to my TVs i'd go right out and buy the latest LG OLED model to replace it. i can't see myself ditching OLED until MicroLED whenever that comes out and if it actually ends up being superior.

my phone is also OLED and I have OLED switch.

My TV has ran for about 10,000 hours (and a lot of that is on news/sports channels) and there is 0 burn in. I check every few months and think this is a waste of time because the screen looks just as good as it did the day i got it.

Robb

Gold Member
if anything happened to my TVs i'd go right out and buy the latest LG OLED model to replace it. i can't see myself ditching OLED until MicroLED whenever that comes out and if it actually ends up being superior.
This is pretty much exactly my plan as well.

gothmog

Gold Member
OLED or bust right now. The deals are often incredible as well. Follow some optimization guides and don't worry about burn in. Also make sure you register your TV in case something does happen.

Sony OLED since 2018 over here, Burn in is rare and Pixel Shifting or similar mechanics help a ton.

I use it a lot too, and watch a ton of 4:3 TV shows which leaves a bit of the black bars visible for a few minutes, but other than that it's phenomenal for gaming.

Robb

Gold Member
Never shut up about owning an OLED.

8MvlWwl.jpg

DinoD

Well I am gutted. :( Been saving for some time, and last week went out and purchased a Sony A80J OLED. Quick (glance) inspection at the warehouse and it all looked alright. Today, finally had some time so decided to unbox and set it up. After I took it out the box, and put the stands on, The horror! I noticed a circular hairline crack at the bottom centre. My heart sunk. Went to turn it on. Flash of red lines ,then nothing and the red light blinking. Sitting here now. Feels like a real bad dream. :(

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a 48 inch C1 in my bedroom and a 65 inch in my living room. Both are amazing. I also have a 240 Hz Samsung VA Odyssey G65B that is nice, but even at 120 Hz, the OLED still feels smoother than the 240 Hz VA.

I am still waiting for a QD-OLED 240 Hz panel.

flying_sq

I'm still on a final gen 3D Panasonic plasma, but not really out of choice. I'm going to transition to QD OLED, but I typically have a rule of waiting 3 generations of a device before buying it. It's getting old, and Plasma has been out classed in pretty much, if not every way.

Hoddi

I have an OLED in the living room but do most of my console gaming on an old plasma TV. People overstate burn-in issues where even my 12 year old TV is still completely free of it. There was no shortage of doom predictions back then either.

Either way, I trust it enough that I’ll be getting an OLED monitor for my PC once they arrive in my country. I’m tired of LCDs.

RCU005

I don’t watch live TV. I only use my TV for Videogames and Movies (sometimes TV series). For that, I believe OLED is the best choice.

Until Micro LED gets affordable, there’s no other way to go.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No OLED yet. Just got a Phillips LED TV. I was afraid of the burn in. My precedent TV was a Samsung that was not a OLED but still got image retention at the end. With the fact that OLED will make 30fps games umplayable I will have to wait to have a new PC before even envisaging buying one.
Yeah I went with a half decent QLED (not sure if that counts as LCD or something else in the poll). 65 inch OLED is just too expensive especially if you want 120Hz, VRR, decent brightness, and all that good stuff. Then again I upgraded (actually just moved to another room) from a 1080p edge lit LED from 2010. Also I have kids and burn-in was in the back of my mind, I don't want to have to policing correct shut down procedures etc.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not. At least, not LG OLEDs. Sonys may be better, but the price is crazy.

I got a LG OLED after reading through all the stellar reviews. The motion made me regret the purchase literally minutes after setting up the TV. Yeah, I kinda miss the blacks, the contrast and the excellent anti-reflection coating (an underrated feature of OLEDs). But going LCD was the best decision for me. No regrets on the gaming side.

Tomi

Rog pg27aqdm oled is something spectacular
Its better than lg one because its A LOT brighter
Only downside of asus one hdmi 2.1 but i play on pc

Hunnybun

I've had an OLED (65" CX) for a couple of years and I was surprised how big an improvement it was. The perfect blacks make a huge difference to almost any content. I had a good Sony HDR LCD screen before that, which itself cost over £1300, so it's not like I was coming from some lousy old model.

Would highly recommend.

Last edited:

NekoFever

OLED since 2018. Hoping to ride this one out until MicroLED becomes affordable and normal living room sized but that might be optimistic.

QLED best of all worlds
How is QLED best of all worlds? It’s literally LCD with a deliberately misleading name from when Samsung was salty that LG was eating its lunch.

You’ll notice they stopped the Pepsi Challenge bullshit about the downsides of OLED once they got competitive TV-sized OLED panels of their own — including their current flagship.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Not. At least, not LG OLEDs. Sonys may be better, but the price is crazy.

I got a LG OLED after reading through all the stellar reviews. The motion made me regret the purchase literally minutes after setting up the TV. Yeah, I kinda miss the blacks, the contrast and the excellent anti-reflection coating (an underrated feature of OLEDs). But going LCD was the best decision for me. No regrets on the gaming side.
What was it about the motion that you didn't like?

Mister Wolf

I'm very happy with my LCD Samsung QN90A. My cousin just bought a LCD Hisense U8H and loves it. Traditional OLEDs are too dim and the risk of burn in simply makes them not worth it. I'm not spending over $2000 to have to baby a TV. Plus the fact that the OLEDs have to auto dim themselves to protect the screen is fucking trash. I've owned a C7 that got burn in galore and a C9 that didn't even last 2 years of heavy usage before it broke down while still under Costco warranty. I'm firmly in the pro LCD group now.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
OLED (or similar tech like QD-OLED) until mini-LED becomes consumer tech.

It is a stop gap technologie but imo, if you consume a varied amount of content (not just gaming) in a light controlled room, the best one you can get atm.

Last edited:

Fbh

My main gaming/movie TV is an LG C1.
Overall I think it's great, the true blacks and contrast are really nice, the image quality is great and it has good gaming features (120hz, VRR, etc).

With that said I think there's usually a bit of hyperbole regarding both the pros and cons of OLED.
Yeah the true blacks are nice but compared to a TV with good local dimming they only make a big difference if you are watching content in a dark room.
On the other hand burn in mostly seems like a non issue if you take some basic precautions, and while 30fps games do indeed look a bit "choppier" I think the notion that they are unplayable is really exaggerated.

I think both an OLED or a high end LED(QLED) are probably Ok.
Personally I was between the C1 and the QN90A (ended up going for the C1 because it was cheaper due to a sale and I read Samsung sells a gimped version of the QN90A in my region)

Nydius

I'm content with my current 27" full array IPS monitor with VRR and FreeSync Premium.
I know it's nowhere near OLED but until they start dropping in price OLED is out of my budget.

I might upgrade to an OLED Switch once I pay off a couple credit cards next month though.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

I'm very happy with my LCD Samsung QN90A. My cousin just bought a LCD Hisense U8H and loves it. Traditional OLEDs are too dim and the risk of burn in simply makes them not worth it. I'm not spending over $2000 to have to baby a TV. Plus the fact that the OLEDs have to auto dim themselves to protect the screen is fucking trash. I've owned a C7 that got burn in galore and a C9 that didn't even last 2 years of heavy usage before it broke down while still under Costco warranty. I'm firmly in the pro LCD group now.
Well, you did buy the best QLED on the market. QN90A and B are as good as it gets in the mini LED market. Unfortunately the QN90C got a major downgrade with its ADS panel. Gained viewing angle but lost contrast.

I'm still on a final gen 3D Panasonic plasma, but not really out of choice. I'm going to transition to QD OLED, but I typically have a rule of waiting 3 generations of a device before buying it. It's getting old, and Plasma has been out classed in pretty much, if not every way.
Not in motion. Watch sports on an oled or led and you'll see the difference immediately.

Top Bottom