• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Starfield Interview, Todd Howard on Fulfilling His Vision, Xbox Performance, and More!

fermcr

"Starfield game director Todd Howard joins us for an exclusive interview to discuss realizing his vision for Bethesda's imminent outer-space exploration RPG after all these years, how it performs on Xbox Series X|S, his favorite organic moments from the game, and more!"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Add Starfield.

Last edited:

fermcr

Add Starfield.

Same can be said about the Unreal engine. Each version of the engine is an update from the previous version.
They are countless game engines out there that happen the same thing. For example, Rockstar has been been using the same engine since 2006 (Rage Engine).
Nobody is going to build a brand new engine for every new game they make.

Last edited:

scydrex

Same can be said about the Unreal engine. Each version of the engine is an update from the previous version.
Maybe but the games i finished who uses unreal engine i see the difference between each version of unreal. I finished Fallout 4 in 2020 and to me it was like playing fallout 3 all over again with different settings or map. So i think it could apply to unreal engine too but it's worse with the engine Bethesda is using for 20 years and counting.

Last edited:

fermcr

Maybe but the games i finished who uses unreal engine i see the difference between each version of unreal. I finished Fallout 4 in 2020 and to me it was like playing fallout 3 all over again with different settings or map. So i think it could apply to unreal engine too but it's worse with the engine Bethesda is using for 20 years and counting.

If you say Fallout 4 graphically looks the same as Fallout 3, you clearly need glasses.
I'll grant you that Fallout 4 graphically doesn't look great compared to present day games, but it clearly looks better then Fallout 3.

He is 100 percent leaving Bethesda after this game...its clearly his swan song.

I give him until early 2024.
Huh?

Isn’t he leading creative on the still-untitled Indiana Jones game Machine is making? Not to mention Elder Scrolls VI, which definitely won’t take 8 years after Starfield

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

The most interesting part for me, speaking of id Software.

Todd Howard: "id Software actually helped us with the visuals, not the combat" (mentions some work in the motion blur techniques) but at the end he says: "And getting a preview on what they're working on next is always interesting" I would love to see what that is :goog_unsure:

scydrex

If you say Fallout 4 graphically looks the same as Fallout 3, you clearly need glasses.
I'll grant you that Fallout 4 graphically doesn't look great compared to present day games, but it clearly looks better then Fallout 3.
It felt like playing fallout 3. Don't mean to say it looks the same as fallout 3. I played fallout 3 when it was released on PC and then never again. Fallout 4 in 2020. You misunderstood what i meant.

Last edited:

GHG

Todd Howard: "id Software actually helped us with the visuals, not the combat" (mentions some work in the motion blur techniques) but at the end he says: "And getting a preview on what they're working on next is always interesting" I would love to see what that is :goog_unsure:

id are the most competent studio from a technical standpoint across the whole industry.

I'm of the opinion that all of Microsoft games studios should lean on them for rendering techniques and even their engine where possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Indiana Jones.

He eluded to this after ES6.

He is not going to pass up working on Indiana Jones which is something he said he always wanted to work on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The DF video that came out today also mentioned that ID helped with the per pixel and object motion blur, which goes some way to smooth out a 30 FPS game, I suppose.

Last edited:

OceanGaming

You are dead wrong, he is going to do Indiana Jones after this game for sure, he said so himself (He probably already is doing it).

He will retire at the earliest, after TES6 or the next game after that; be it FO5 or SF2. Watch the actual interview before you spout nonsense.

Huh?

Isn’t he leading creative on the still-untitled Indiana Jones game Machine is making? Not to mention Elder Scrolls VI, which definitely won’t take 8 years after Starfield

He absolutely is staying at least until Elder Scrolls 6 is released, exactly.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Mario Mean GIF
suSK66m.jpg

NO.

e2ieFJR.jpg

"Fus Ro Dah!"

That's Todd as a Fable character that has made one too many evil decisions.

Great interview. There are just so many ways they could add additional content to Starfield. It will be interesting to see what they do there. You've got the obvious ones, like they add a new settlement to a planet or a space port or something like that, things that are known and charted. Or they could add some needles that take a little more effort to find and complete.

I love the variety with the settlements, some you have breathable air and can walk down the beach, others you've got the space suit, the zero gravity environments, etc.

Last edited:

cireza

Keeping an existing engine is perfectly fine. This is why Metroid Prime Remastered looks like a PS4 game on Switch, because the engine is not one of these modern engine that wastes hardware resources.

Hopefully not just more of the Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal > Next Doom (3). I’d rather see something new from them

These spice bags and market decorations are 100% showing up in Elder Scrolls VI.

BQ8m1eM.jpg
To think that ES VI’s Creation Engine will be the updated version of this one.
For me personally I’m very satisfied with the way the material's/PBR look.
Definitely a step up from Fallout 4. I vaguely remember a video with them talking about adding PBR to the engine for Fallout 4.

MarkMe2525

I'm so damn excited for this. I have always been pretty luke warm on the game before this showcase and interview. I put like 20 hours into Skyrim but was never a super fan. Probably half that on fallout 3 and 4, so I didn't know what to think about Starfield.

After watching that showcase and listening to the interview I really feel like this checks more boxes, for what I wanted in a video game, than any other game before. Sure I have played some amazing games and I don't mean to belittle them, but as far as shit I like, Starfield has so many bases covered. I really hope they pull it off.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm so damn excited for this. I have always been pretty luke warm on the game before this showcase and interview. I put like 20 hours into Skyrim but was never a super fan. Probably half that on fallout 3 and 4, so I didn't know what to think about Starfield.

After watching that showcase and listening to the interview I really feel like this checks more boxes, for what I wanted in a video game, than any other game before. Sure I have played some amazing games and I don't mean to belittle them, but as far as shit I like, Starfield has so many bases covered. I really hope they pull it off.
I was already excited but yeah this event somehow boosted my hype even more, I still expect TOTK to be my GOTY but Starfield is definitely up there and waiting for the release is brutal.

It just looks so incredibly ambitious. There is so much you do. And there is so much attention to detail. I wish people would bury their platform warrior axes and just embrace this moment when we finally get a really high budget space RPG. We don’t get many games like this. And it’s available on Xbox, multiple PC storefronts and multiple cloud services. It’s not impossible to get access to.

Only things I don’t like is:
1. How the characters looked when they showed off the character generator. Looked plain last gen tbh.
But faces has never been a strength in Bethesda RPGs and I’ve always loved the games anyway so it’s no biggie I guess.
2. It sounds like planets will be procedurally generated as you approach them, meaning they won’t look the same for everyone. Takes away some exploration payoff when telling buddies to go to this cool planet, it will be similar but not the same for them.

Everything else looks fantastic imo. And modding in this game is going to be wild!

Last edited:

Fredrik

honestly prior to the delay it looked really ugly, I wonder if that old build was running at 60fps and they decided to go with more finer details at 30
Todd hinted at them going with 30fps a year ago. But people didn’t listen.
Timestamped:

Someone said that global illumination has been added so I’m guessing that’s what we see, plus better shaders perhaps.

JackMcGunns

Great improvement! I personally don’t like the new color grading but that’s something that can easily be adjusted, at least on PC.

Yep, some noticeable improvements in lighting and detail.

VifYLMe.jpg

7gA574B.jpg

I think the biggest improvement was the lighting. Even the lighting from the muzzle flash here looks to be improved.

vjd5bPi.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom