• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE review thread

I've noticed that no one really mentions the content edits in any of the reviews I've read so far. Was there any directive not to talk about it? It seems weird because so much online discussion has been focused on it for reviews not to even in passing assuage or acknowledge it.

All that online discussion is just from a very vocal minority, 99% of people (which means 99% of reviewers) don't care.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Hey OP, I threw together a cleaner version of the title image if you wanted to use it.

tmsfe_by_aloooo81-da7bwn1.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad it's reviewing well. At least it can be remembered fondly even if it looks like it's going to end up being a one off.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I am, since I'm reusing assets from the import OT. I already have it ready to post and the street date's been open with a few people enough to discuss the game.

I'll post it later tonight, or whenever you let me open the floodgates.

I believe standard rules still apply, meaning OTs go up no earlier than release day.

I've noticed that no one really mentions the content edits in any of the reviews I've read so far. Was there any directive not to talk about it? It seems weird because so much online discussion has been focused on it for reviews not to even in passing assuage or acknowledge it.

Or they just never noticed if they never played the original or followed those various discussions? No tinfoil hat conspiracies please.

Menitta

People's negativity of this game managed to quickly deflate my hype for this game. Saying shit like "This game was a mistake." I'm sorry, but I'm glad it's something other than a raw SMT X FE. I don't want a game where Marth and Flynn hang out.

Wow, the reviews seem to be good. I was thinking about cancelling my preorder but I may as well leave it.

How are the loading times?

Reading reviews I notice quite a few reviewers note how puzzle and navigation focus the dungeons and count it as a slight negative.

I'm honestly perhaps most excited able this as I love puzzles and navigation. So it's a personal plus.

Shun

I believe standard rules still apply, meaning OTs go up no earlier than release day.

I thought it was a day before? EU/NA/AU all get it on the same day so I was planning on posting it that time since that's when the game is available for the EU, and then NA later in the day digitally.

Either way the OT has been done for a while so I hope you all look forward to it.

Vocal minority. Most people don't care. And anyone who hasn't been following the game for a while probably doesn't even know there's been changes - it's not like people are chainsmoking lollipops or anything like that.

Or they just never noticed if they never played the original or followed those various discussions? No tinfoil hat conspiracies please.

i thought 1 day. and since it's simultaneous NA/EU release, shun can post it in ~8 hours earliest :p

AdanVC

Good to see this game getting decent reviews. Too bad I simply cannot stand this type of anime RPGs. Simply not my cup of tea : / The wait to get a new Wii U game continues... At this point I might end up getting LEGO Star Wars TFA since it's coming to Wii U as well siiGHH.

OVDRobo

Nice to see the game is actually decent after all the drama surrounding localisation choices.

I still won't be buying it because I'm honestly not particularly interested in the themes portrayed in the game and I feel like the potential of a SMT x FE mashup was squandered in this title, but it's reassuring to hear that it's a quality title that people can enjoy, even if it's not necessarily for me.

Some great reviews, so far. I have to admit that I had no idea at all what to expect when these started rolling in. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it's generally been so positive. Can't wait to open up my SE!

Happy to see it's reviewing well! Can't wait to try it out for myself. The battle system looks great, and the game definitely oozes style.

Birathen

I had no plan to buy this once they revealed the theme but it seems I have to backtrack on that. What Ive seen seems really good and what Ive read even better. My late preorder shipped today so hopefully itll arrive tomorrow.

Draxal

Vocal minority. Most people don't care. And anyone who hasn't been following the game for a while probably doesn't even know there's been changes - it's not like people are chainsmoking lollipops or anything like that.

Not sure if it is a vocal minority, in that there's only going to be a minority of people buying the game in the first place.

Most game reviewers probably haven't been following news about this game, because it's appeal is really limited.

aBarreras

Not sure if it is a vocal minority, in that there's only going to be a minority of people buying the game in the first place.

Most game reviewers probably haven't been following news about this game, because it's appeal is really limited.

well, if 1000 people buy this game, 5 of them were discussing the localization changes, vocal super minority

Shikoba

Dang it is reviewing well. That's great. This game seemed to be so all over the place lol. Guess my conundrum of deciding between this and Star Ocean 5 has been settled. Excited for Friday!

Nyoro SF

Prominent game reviewers read GAF constantly so they are very aware of the changes. That being said it can only really impact a review if it caused a notable quality shift for gameplay or plot. People were arguing against the censors on artistic grounds mostly, not on gameplay or plot (though there was a plot change, it changed perspective only); a wedding dress looking like it's painted on someone's skin is not enough to notch a score down, for instance.

To me it's very logical that reviewers wouldn't mention it.

Aeana

I thought it was a day before? EU/NA/AU all get it on the same day so I was planning on posting it that time since that's when the game is available for the EU, and then NA later in the day digitally.

Either way the OT has been done for a while so I hope you all look forward to it.
It's the day of release unless it's a midnight release somewhere, in which case you can create it the evening before that.

Ninjimbo

Sounds like something I need right now. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it's rare these days to get a game that's entirely feel-good or upbeat with a positive message. Lately, it seems like all I'm playing are games with darker thematic elements to them. While I do like me some darkness and grit, sometimes it's nice to wallow in the more lighthearted side of entertainment.

There's a little Magical Girl inside all of us.

Not making conspiracy theories. I would think reviewers, especially ones that frequent or moderate Neogaf, would be aware that the game they are reviewing has censorship controversies. Just asking such a person after reading theirs and others' reviews if there was a particular reason it wasn't brought up. Of course most of them probably wouldn't be able to make the comparison, not having played the original. Should have been a duh, but slipped my mind when i posed the question.

Despite that, it's not unusual for pre-release controversies get at least acknowledgment. *shrugs*

It's the first big budget RPG that Atlus has made in years; I imagine that most JRPG fans had it on their radar to some extent (although the Wii U exclusivity hurts somewhat). And it's not like any decent site is going to give the Tokyo Mirage Sessions review to someone who isn't a JRPG fan.

Aeana

oh it's changed already? pretty sure the last time it is 1 day before
Nobody is going to close your thread if you make it the day before. It's a loose guideline. Nothing has changed though with the official policy, though. It's been what I said since we made the change way back.

Crayolan

I wasn't expecting the game to be bad or anything, but I definitely wasn't expecting reviews to be this positive. At least Wii U will have one well received game in 2016.

It's the first big budget RPG that Atlus has made in years; I imagine that most JRPG fans had it on their radar to some extent (although the Wii U exclusivity hurts somewhat). And it's not like any decent site is going to give the Tokyo Mirage Sessions review to someone who isn't a JRPG fan.

Actually is this the first HD Atlus RPG?

Top Bottom