• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: XSS specs (20CU at 1.55Ghz ≈ 3.97TF, similar CPU to XSX, PCIe4 SSD ,, >250W, 10GB of ram and no disk drive)

Jon Neu

Banned
concern+troll.png

Xbox fans have it great on Gaf.

giphy.gif

Marlenus

???

Consoles aren't PC, you have to code games to include these enhancements.
You'd have to check compatibility with Series S against a GPU with more raw power on a system with more RAM.
All this, so your 1080p device can boast 4K patches? Seems very unlikely and a waste of resources

The whole point of the Xbox eco system is that it is dx12 and 1st party games are cross platform with PC so it is pretty much exactly like PC.

tsumake

Maybe it will maybe it won't but MS is the only company with the balls to try and innovate.

I think it will do quite well. It’ll be the cheapest option and combined with Gamepass it will provide a tremendous amount of value. I’m sure casual players will eat it up.

geordiemp

The whole point of the Xbox eco system is that it is dx12 and 1st party games are cross platform with PC so it is pretty much exactly like PC.

I think its a good idea to offer 2 levels of console graphics for 1080p and 4k and the lockart specs reflect that, and anyone who does not understajnd the scaling just does not get it.,....

Zen, RDNA2 and SSD is the good shit.

The real elephant in the room is support on last gen consoles and Jaguar.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's better than the One X that sold for $499 when it launched. At $299 it's the sweet spot for this.

Let's wait and see how it reacts, overall $299 is too much. This could hurt XSX sales if it succeeds (in MS standards) and be the lead console for xbox, or fail and drag developers and next gen gaming. Either way games should be built around Lockhart, and that's not a good thing. Still, we'll wait and see.

I gave you the "empathy" emoji because I genuinely feel for you.

Delusion can be tough to deal with sometimes.

No need to be empathetic for me buddy. Have empathy for yourself and rest of gaf members here. I am not paying for any of my consoles because its being taken care of through my professional work and companies are paying for it regardless of the price. I really don't care if the PS5 is $500 or $700 or anything in between. I am not paying for any of these systems. So the joke is on you. These prices were put it on for arguments sake. But you are too much of a dingus to realize that

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly I think they will spend the bulk of their marketing on this console + gamepass whereas the Series X is there for the hardcore who would already be aware of it anyway.

If this is priced at $299 then it's aimed squarely at the mass market.

Without free online MP for free2play games like fortnite like PlayStation, it'll collect dirt on the shelves, at least globally.

You really don't get it do you.

It's not a double standard. It's not about "it's stronger than XB1" but Xbox and Sony's offerings will be stronger than previous gen machines. That's a fact. The issue here is that Xbox is offering a lower entry to next gen with a only digital machine at or around $299 WHILE also being weaker than the true next gen machine that they'll probably sell at $499 that includes more upgrades and not just a disc drive. That's a $200 difference.

Sony is offering a digital entry (probably at $399) to next gen that's ALSO equivalent to the disc version that they'll probably sell at $499. That's a $100 different for the SAME experience as the disc version.

If Xbox wants to capitalize on their cheaper entry to next gen they SHOULD also offer a disc version of the Series S so that more people can buy their system resulting in a shit ton of sales for them. So imagine a scenario where they have a disc and discless Series S at $249-$299 and a Series X at $499. The Series S will be selling like hot cakes. By locking the Series S to only digital for next gen sucks, especially if it's a lesser experience than the Series X. PS5 DE and PS5 Thicc are offering the SAME experience at a price delta that's insignificant in comparison.
Nah you don't get it. The XSX is an enthusiast platform. It's for the hardcore gamer. The XSS is for the more causal gamer. The casuals aren't going to care much about missing Blu-Ray drives especially in a day and age when there isn't much desire for physical media. If you are trying to game on a budget you aren't going to care about a missing drive, especially if those games are going to be available digitally. All of your talk about 'lesser experience' is speculation. It's not like the system won't be able to play games that the XSX can. If you are gaming on a 1080P TV you most likely won't even notice the difference. XSS is simply another entry point into the Xbox ecosystem if the price is right it will expand the Xbox audience not shrink it.

Nah you don't get it. The XSX is an enthusiast platform. It's for the hardcore gamer. The XSS is for the more causal gamer. The casuals aren't going to care much about missing Blu-Ray drives especially in a day and age when there isn't much desire for physical media. If you are trying to game on a budget you aren't going to care about a missing drive, especially if those games are going to be available digitally. All of your talk about 'lesser experience' is speculation. It's not like the system won't be able to play games that the XSX can. If you are gaming on a 1080P TV you most likely won't even notice the difference. XSS is simply another entry point into the Xbox ecosystem if the price is right it will expand the Xbox audience not shrink it.
Speculation? A weaker console vs a stronger console. No one is saying it can't play games, it will play all the games that aren't exclusive to the Series X. No one is saying otherwise so why even create that false narrative? The Series X is stronger than the Series S. The Series X will play games at higher fidelity/FPS and look better than games on Series S due to less CUs and RAM. In what world is that speculation?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Because the Xbox One X has 12GB RAM (9.5GB useable). If the XSS has 7.5GB useable then it is 2GB short. Some games like Assassin's Creed Origins make use of the extra RAM, such as for the eagle mode.
I was wondering about exactly this. Could it being fast make up the difference?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Shame I think the lockart is a good idea, decent spec for what its doing and much better than XB1X and more efficient and better than anything current gen. Zen2 alone sees to that,

Should of had a disk drive for back compat though...it is one of the xbox strengths.

I prefer sony this gen yes, last gen was 360 preference, but a good idea is a good idea. There should always be a mini me and a big console for the differing tastes, bedroom tvs and 65 inch oleds.
Agree however. Disk and Disc drive is fucking my brain. I cannot search for that, because in Czech everything is "disk". So that is not helpful, is it a thing in English. Because "c" is read as "k", based on what were are teached, so dunno. I am re-learning English and certain this were/are troubling
🤔 🤔 🤔🤔 🤔

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Microsoft holding back next gen with this shitty ass 4tf machine. If anyone complained about the Ps5 specs let’s see them justify this shit.
A 10.28tf device with 16gb ram is struggling to run games at 1440p60.

A 3.97tf device with 10gb ram is made for 1440p/60.

Both made for the same gen, playing the same games.

Yeah, let's revisit this and remember that the person who spread the news was demodded because he wanted to even things up because he felt things were "one sided"

Let's also remember that game development, no matter if your machine is 20tf or 10tf, devs encounter issues/hiccups/bumps whatever you wanna call it along the line of creating something. This was already squashed so bringing it up makes no sense.

There is a rumour that there will be a controllerless XSS sku for $250. You can just use your old xbox one controller to play on it. If true, the XSS is going to sale like hot cakes.

Last edited:

Allandor

It's all about the target, is it? Don't get to fixed about that target.
It is just:
If a game on xbox series x targets 4k/60 it should be doable (with a third of the GPU power) to get 1440p/60 on the xbox series s. If a series x game targets a lower res, so should the series s also target a lower res.
It is like the 1080p in this gen. Some games benefit from dropping below 1080p on base consoles, so they have more render-time for the overall graphics. Resolution is one way to increase overall picture quality, but not the only and most of the time it is a waste of resources that could be used in a better way.
But the 1440p target is nothing official. It is just an assumption some site took because the console could have a third of the power of the bigger brother.

And even games in 720p can still be good games and even good looking games. The art style is at some point more relevant than the pixel-count. We've just reached pixel-counts that are more than high enough, so we can recognize almost everything that is on screen. We have no longer PS1/2 graphics where you had to guess what you've just seen.

There is a rumour that there will be a controllerless XSS sku for $250. You can just use your old xbox one controller to play on it. If true, the XSS is going to sale like hot cakes.
actually that is something I though of, too. But that would only make sense if you really want to reach a minimalistic price for an update option.

Last edited:
It is just:
If a game on xbox series x targets 4k/60 it should be doable (with a third of the GPU power) to get 1440p/60 on the xbox series s. If a series x game targets a lower res, so should the series s also target a lower res.
It is like the 1080p in this gen. Some games benefit from dropping below 1080p on base consoles, so they have more render-time for the overall graphics. Resolution is one way to increase overall picture quality, but not the only and most of the time it is a waste of resources that could be used in a better way.
But the 1440p target is nothing official. It is just an assumption some site took because the console could have a third of the power of the bigger brother.

And even games in 720p can still be good games and even good looking games. The art style is at some point more relevant than the pixel-count. We've just reached pixel-counts that are more than high enough, so we can recognize almost everything that is on screen. We have no longer PS1/2 graphics where you had to guess what you've just seen.

actually that is something I though of, too. But that would only make sense if you really want to reach a minimalistic price for an update option.

I can see consumers buying it even though they don't have an xbox one controller. They just have purchase that separately if the other SKU sales out.

TLZ

Banned
Agree however. Disk and Disc drive is fucking my brain. I cannot search for that, because in Czech is everything "disk". So that is not helpful, is it a thing in English. Because "c" is read as "k", based on what were are teached, so dunno. I am re-learning English and certain this were/are troubling
🤔 🤔 🤔
You poor thing. You're going to come across a lot of contradicting language in English. They teach you the phonemes, then the letters don't make sense, then you're told to shut up and just memorize it. The English language is a bastardized Germanic language. It has influences from French, Arabic, Latin, etc.

You'll come across silly stuff like 'silent p' and 'silent k' that have no place in the English language and make absolutely no sense. You'll come across the use of 'ph' that sounds like a 'f' even though we already have a 'f'. You'll come across words like 'drought', that even though it looks like bought, taught, caught, it's read 'draft', leaving you scratching your head where the 'f' came from, and why not just write (this one has a 'silent w' ;) ) 'draft' instead, a word that actually exists. Or a name like Stephen, where not only you've been taught the 'ph' sounds just like an 'f' and replaces it in some instances, in this case it sounds like a 'v' and is read Steven.

And a lot more!

Sorry to disappoint. Enjoy the ride though! Lol.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Both the series X and the S spec sheets there don't speak with Xbox one X games, are they supported? Would be kind of lame if series S did not at least play original Xbox one X games at 4k.....
And this SSD, how slow is it? I was expecting the fast SSD in this machine......

You poor thing. You're going to come across a lot of contradicting language in English. They teach you the phonemes, then the letters don't make sense, then you're told to shut up and just memorize it. The English language is a bastardized Germanic language. It has influences from French, Arabic, Latin, etc.

You'll come across silly stuff like 'silent p' and 'silent k' that have no place in the English language and make absolutely no sense. You'll come across the use of 'ph' that sounds like a 'f' even though we already have a 'f'. You'll come across words like 'drought', that even though it looks like bought, taught, caught, it's read 'draft', leaving you scratching your head where the 'f' came from, and why not just write (this one has a 'silent w' ;) ) 'draft' instead, a word that actually exists. Or a name like Stephen, were not only you've been taught the 'ph' sounds just like an 'f' and replaces it in some instances, in this case it sounds like a 'v' and is read Steven.

And a lot more!

My favorite is when a capital letter makes all the difference on what the word's definition is and how it sounds. (P)olish is someone who is from Poland while (p)olish means glossy surface or the act of polishing something.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
It is just:

Oh I know all this. I'm just on about some of the people mocking the PS5 for struggling with sub 4k60 even though they know its specs are a bit lower than the SX, some even calling it all kinds of failures, yet they're completely praising a way, way lower specced SS, and how it can easily achieve said targets. It's just the hypocrisy that's irritating.

I thought I explained it. If you're happy with your 1080p TV (millions of people) you may feel paying more for a system just for a higher resolution is a waste of money.

It's like if you have a 1080p monitor and buy a 2080 Ti. It's overkill.
The casual audience that it would be aimed at doesn't think in those terms.

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, let's revisit this and remember that the person who spread the news was demodded because he wanted to even things up because he felt things were "one sided"

Let's also remember that game development, no matter if your machine is 20tf or 10tf, devs encounter issues/hiccups/bumps whatever you wanna call it along the line of creating something. This was already squashed so bringing it up makes no sense.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy ;)

Speculation? A weaker console vs a stronger console. No one is saying it can't play games, it will play all the games that aren't exclusive to the Series X. No one is saying otherwise so why even create that false narrative? The Series X is stronger than the Series S. The Series X will play games at higher fidelity/FPS and look better than games on Series S due to less CUs and RAM. In what world is that speculation?
Well one MASSIVE speculation is that the XSS will not play some games the XSX can. The XSS will play EVERY game that is coming on the XSX. There will be no exclusive XSX games. Just like there are no exclusives on the X1X. It makes way more sense to present two options for console users. Games will scale based on the platform. Options are good for gamers.

Three

So the Series X was held back in ram department to have a 10 gb block of similar ram to the Series S. I guess this will make scaling easier? but another example of being held back. Starting to think The X only exists for Microsoft to claim the most powerful, but they really want the S to be in every household.
Exactly the reason the One X was discontinued and the One S still produced. The Series S is going to be their bread and butter just like this gen. The Series X is just their marketing.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

You'll come across silly stuff like 'silent p' and 'silent k' that have no place in the English language and make absolutely no sense. You'll come across the use of 'ph' that sounds like a 'f' even though we already have a 'f'. You'll come across words like 'drought', that even though it looks like bought, taught, caught, it's read 'draft', leaving you scratching your head where the 'f' came from, and why not just write (this one has a 'silent w' ;) ) 'draft' instead, a word that actually exists. Or a name like Stephen, where not only you've been taught the 'ph' sounds just like an 'f' and replaces it in some instances, in this case it sounds like a 'v' and is read Steven.

And a lot more!

I understand this, however, most often I am seeing disk as a disc drive (or is there a disk...the fuck) and disc as a HDD drive. However if I am not mistaken Hard Disk Drive. Is one of those disc or disk? Hmm that clears things up for sure then, I guess I am going to write with "k" and if someone bitches I will answer with "cunt". I guess that's going to be easier.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Digital Foundry did a piece on whether or not a 4TF GPU could cut it. A 4TF 5500XT smoked a gcn based 590. 4TF RDNA 2 can get current gen games to 1440p/60. But that's current gen.

Well one MASSIVE speculation is that the XSS will not play some games the XSX can. The XSS will play EVERY game that is coming on the XSX. There will be no exclusive XSX games. Just like there are no exclusives on the X1X. It makes way more sense to present two options for console users. Games will scale based on the platform. Options are good for gamers.
Agree with this but Phil himself said not to expect XSX exclusives for a bit unless you was talking about jus excluding current gen while including XSS with XSX.

Top Bottom