• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Includes Racial and Ethnic Stereotypes Warning From Crystal Dynamics

Killer8

What was offensive in the trilogy? I can't think of a single thing.

I'd guess it's related to a Shiva statue being a boss battle in the Indian section of TR3. It's kind of a double standard if people make a fuss out of that though, since dozens of JRPGs have the player killing literally god...

It's not saying much but I'm grateful for them at least not cutting anything. I'd take a warning screen over, for example, all the Sikh references being removed from Hitman 2: Silent Assassin. And that was political correctness in 2003.

YCoCg

How can you even compare here to there?
People trashing a product over something minor, saying they're not going to buy it and that no one else should, constant complaining and crying over a small thing that is easily skipped, I dunno why I'm reminded of being in an Era thread. 🤔

ShadowLag

You should be banned just for this text color you monster.
Dear friendos:
We/them sincerely apologize for any trauma and heartache caused by our use of r** text in our recent message. We/them understand that it was incredibly insensitive, and created a hostile and unsafe environment for this forum. Going forward, we/them intend to do better by never using r** text ever again. Please understand and continue to consoom product.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Eh it's kind of lame, much like the use of "trigger warnings", but not that big of a deal.
At least they didn't remove or censor anything, which is far more egregious imo.

Reactions: cjp

rkofan87

Gold Member
How about doing neither, just leave it as it is, and ignore the tiny minority who complain.

I wonder if Resident Evil 5 remake will feel it necessary to have a warning too, or maybe they'll just make all the zombies white this time.
they will make them white i bet on it

Disco Dave

HwpHl7z.jpg

Ozzie666

Is the next screen the appology and ass covering for the 'boobs' on display? and how Laura looks? If people really want to complain, that screen won't matter, they still left it in the game.

I remember the original Flash Gordon movie had something about this too.

Fake

People trashing a product over something minor, saying they're not going to buy it and that no one else should, constant complaining and crying over a small thing that is easily skipped, I dunno why I'm reminded of being in an Era thread. 🤔

People are trashing the warning screen, not the game.

I'll still buy the game no matter what, but who in here are telling me what I can or not to complain?

I guess everyone have the right to do it, but resetera take this into another level.

There is only one mentality/side you should agree or else you are banned, so I trying to understand the comparison.

They remove a game from a top 10 chart and if someone complain gets banned. Just pay attention how things there happen. Not even Twitter is that type of crazy.

At the end of day everyone is kinda of snowflake, but when a particular group of folks try to ditate the rules of whatever we should of not to complain, thats the problem.

Last edited:

peek

Neo Member
Oh yay, another title card to add to the list to make startup even longer...

Heh, but seriously why even include it? Also when you think about its much MORE than a simple content warning, but rather the way its worded they are completely shitting on the OG developers by calling them racist. Like dude.

skyfall

Playing it now, the screen last about 3 seconds, it doesnt even give you enough time to read the whole thing lmao.

You know it was some progressive snowflake that strong armed the rest to put it in, but they didn't really give a shit

Last edited:

Killer8

This isn't a good sign. For those say it's just a short message, It always starts with a warning and then it moves onto censorship.

But they explicitly say the message is there to avoid censorship. It's basically a bone being thrown to the Era crowd to get these games released without getting a shitload of undeserved heat.

nkarafo

They didn't make these games

If they really cared about these "struggles" and wanted to fight for a "better future" and all that fake horseshit, they would not accept remastering these games. Or at least some of the devs would protest or quit the project.

But they don't because they want the profits. That iP is too lucrative to pass on remastering it. So if they are really honest about what they say in that message, it means they are willing to sell out their values for money. That makes them hypocrites. Being a hypocrite is one thing... It's ok, maybe some won't notice or care. But by putting out this message for all to see it makes them stupid hypocrites because now they made sure everybody knows how big hypocrites they are.

Or maybe they don't really care about stereotypes, minorities, etc. They just want to please both the gamers who just want the original content uncut and the crazy activists. That's the only reason the message is there, they are simply lying. Which is just as bad, there is no scenario where these devs can come out on top.

This is why I don't mind the placard at all. They're warning the safe-spacers to stay away if they don't want their eyeballs bleeding.

But they are also implying the content is problematic and they presenting it as a fact. Not an opinion or something to argue about. They don't say "We think the content is blah, blah" Or "We believe", etc. Which would be much more acceptable for me.

So if i don't have an issue with the game's content then what does that message imply for myself, as a person?

Nah, fuck them, i'll pass on these remasters and support other devs who don't imply i'm a menace for the society. It's not like we don't have OpenLara or anything.

"The games in this collection contain offensive depictions of people and cultures rooted in racial and ethnic prejudices"
Am I reading it correct that they are suggesting "the original devs were racist"?

Yes. Both the original devs and you, if you liked those games and don't have an issue with them.

So they're NOT editing the game, just putting up a disclaimer?

WTF, so many triggered snowflakes ITT.

Press x and move on.

So i take you don't care if those devs are insulting you?

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Well I just pre-ordered the game. It should unlock at midnight. Can't wait to play it.

It said order now and get 10% off which translates to 3 dollars lol.

gamer82

so which version is better between ps and switch ? never played these games i vagualy remeber the first one.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Does that mean Laura is still a D-cup? I acknowledge it Crystal Dynamics, that can be harmful to a woman's lower back sometimes. Especially when doing acrobatic maneuvers. Let us observe and learn together about this harm.
You know thats a myth that fat people invented

Shut0wen

Apparently this has to do with some tribesmen on an island in the south Pacific ocean level on the 3rd game, for me its confusing is CD saying its wrong to assume that these people exist in the south pacific ocean (which so far is true, they dont exist) or are they stating that tribesmen do not attack you with arrows and what not? (Which is false as its well documented that brunei has 100s of these feral cannibals)

Deerock71

But they are also implying the content is problematic and they presenting it as a fact. Not an opinion or something to argue about. They don't say "We think the content is blah, blah" Or "We believe", etc. Which would be much more acceptable for me.
If they're typing it, it's their opinion. They don't have to state it's either a fact or an opinion. It's not a fact, and that's a fact.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If they're typing it, it's their opinion. They don't have to state it's either a fact or an opinion. It's not a fact, and that's a fact.

Doesn't work that way. You can state facts by speaking or typing. If a subject is arguable or subjective you have to word it that way. I'm not talking about random forum posts, this is a disclaimer in an official retail product directed to whoever buys it, written by a professional. If it's an opinion it has to be formatted in such way. This one is formatted as a fact.

Here's how an opinion is stated:

"The games in this collection may contain culture depictions that are offensive to some"

But they went all in and even used hyperbole like "inexcusable", "deeply harmful", etc. They really want you to know if you don't find the content offensive you are a racist, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Doesn't work that way. You can state facts by speaking or typing. If a subject is arguable or subjective you have to word it that way. I'm not talking about random forum posts, this is a disclaimer in an official retail product directed to whoever buys it, written by a professional. If it's an opinion it has to be formatted in such way. This one is formatted as a fact.

Here's how an opinion is stated:

"The games in this collection may contain culture depictions that are offensive to some"

But they went all in and even used hyperbole like "inexcusable", "deeply harmful", etc. They really want you to know if you don't find the content offensive you are a racist, plain and simple.
I'm a Gen-Xer. I'd print out what they said on a silk cloth and wipe my ass with it, then enjoy the game.

The Stig

If they really cared about these "struggles" and wanted to fight for a "better future" and all that fake horseshit, they would not accept remastering these games. Or at least some of the devs would protest or quit the project.

But they don't because they want the profits. That iP is too lucrative to pass on remastering it. So if they are really honest about what they say in that message, it means they are willing to sell out their values for money. That makes them hypocrites. Being a hypocrite is one thing... It's ok, maybe some won't notice or care. But by putting out this message for all to see it makes them stupid hypocrites because now they made sure everybody knows how big hypocrites they are.

Or maybe they don't really care about stereotypes, minorities, etc. They just want to please both the gamers who just want the original content uncut and the crazy activists. That's the only reason the message is there, they are simply lying. Which is just as bad, there is no scenario where these devs can come out on top.

So if i don't have an issue with the game's content then what does that message imply for myself, as a person?

Nah, fuck them, i'll pass on these remasters and support other devs who don't imply i'm a menace for the society. It's not like we don't have OpenLara or anything.

Yes. Both the original devs and you, if you liked those games and don't have an issue with them.

So i take you don't care if those devs are insulting you?
i dont think any devs insulted me.

it's corp. CYA.

please explain.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
RCdkv7T.jpeg

Funny that they removed fat Drake and not Chloe’s ‘ass’ in retrospect.
They pulled fat Drake?? That was my favorite skin to play the game with. 😭

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm a Gen-Xer. I'd print out what they said on a silk cloth and wipe my ass with it, then enjoy the game.
God damn, gen-Xers must have a lot of free time and disposable income.

Pejo

Upon reading the thread title, I expected that the message was gonna be "there may be offensive content in the game", didn't realize they were going to shit on their own game and make it seem like some dredge of society shit. Like they're shaming you for ever enjoying this game at any point.

What a fucking clown world...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
the funny thing is, they dont need to remind people about this in the first place

Top Bottom