• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Includes Racial and Ethnic Stereotypes Warning From Crystal Dynamics

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Probably because there is a white dude in cargo shorts, ridding a skateboard, with 2 uzis. Very stereotypical representation of a white dude in the 90s. All that's missing is a Limp Bizkit t-shirt. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

7MPgwio.jpg

Looks like a Cowboys fan. Most people find them annoying, so probably an apology for leaving them in.

Erebus

I find it absolutely insane how many here are OK with them calling the Original Dev Team Racists and there actions "Inexcusable" as long as the message is "Only on screen for a couple seconds"?

Yeah I think your lot are the morally bankrupt ones.

I don't perceive it as an accusation of racism. Instead, it is acknowledging that the original games were released in the 90s, a time when social norms differed significantly, for better or worse, and political correctness wasn't as amplified as it is in today's context.

Last edited:
I don't perceive it as an accusation of racism. Instead, it is acknowledging that the original games were released in the 90s, a time when social norms differed significantly, for better or worse, and political correctness wasn't as amplified as it is in today's context.
you are wrong, the person you quoted was correct

Deerock71

Translation: Idiocracy is no longer a comedy; it's a documentary.

nkarafo

It clearly states it's "inexcusable". What you posted just now could be an excuse or justification but i'm afraid the author of this message beat you to it.

I have seen other disclaimers pointing out the exact thing you are stating. Making it clear that, hey, the standards were different, we used to not be bothered by stereotypes, it was normal, doesn't mean you are a bad person, etc, but now we need to be better and things like that. Which is annoying still but acceptable and more respectable to the fans and developers of older games.

With this particular disclaimer, Crystal Dynamics says the original devs are racist pieces of shit and if you didn't have an issue with the older games you are a racist piece of shit too. But they don't have a problem selling their racist product and profit from it, they just want to make sure to everyone they are better than you and the original devs while doing it. The audacity here is limitless.

Last edited:

Erebus

It clearly states it's "inexcusable". What you posted just now could be an excuse or justification but i'm afraid the author of this message is adamant.

I have seen other disclaimers pointing out the exact thing you are stating. Making it clear that, hey, the standards were different, we used to not be bothered by stereotypes, it was normal, doesn't mean you are a bad person, etc, but now we need to be better and things like that. Which is annoying still but very acceptable and respectable to the fans and developers of older games.

With this particular disclaimer, Crystal Dynamics says the original devs are racist pieces of shit and if you didn't have an issue with the older games you are a racist piece of shit too. But they don't have a problem selling their racist product and profit from it, they just want to make sure to everyone they are better than you and the original devs. The audacity here is limitless.
Yeah, I don't agree with the wording they chose. It seems like their intention was to avoid any trouble from the incoming 'woke' comments but it ended up causing them other issues as it is obvious from this thread.

YCoCg

I find it absolutely insane how many here are OK with them calling the Original Dev Team Racists and there actions "Inexcusable" as long as the message is "Only on screen for a couple seconds"?

Yeah I think your lot are the morally bankrupt ones.
Isn't this just another cookie cutter message though? They've used harsher words yes but these disclaimers are all the same "it was a product of its time, it doesn't represent our views now, it was bad then too, but here it is for preservation", seriously compared this to konami, Disney, Warner Bros, etc, they all sound the same like it's just an AI interpretation of each.

Edit: and the above is just brilliant, you don't even need to mod it out, there's already a command to skip it.

Last edited:
Isn't this just another cookie cutter message though? They've used harsher words yes but these disclaimers are all the same "it was a product of its time, it doesn't represent our views now, it was bad then too, but here it is for preservation", seriously compared this to konami, Disney, Warner Bros, etc, they all sound the same like it's just an AI interpretation of each.
why do you keep defending it. obviously people dont like this disclaimer.

CGNoire

Nah. "Inexcusable" means just that Inexcusable. They choose that word on purpose.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
40202f024b6ec3a3de0c3b41e11fc7f89bfa585aad895e40.png

Crystal Dynamics has added a content warning to Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered flagging what it described as racial and ethnic stereotypes.

Here is the message in full:

tr-1707840863333.jpg

jack-nicholson-middle-finger.gif

I played all the original Tomb Raider games back in the day and A) I didn't turn racist, bigoted or homophobic. B) See gif again. Get
bent Crystal Dynamics.

Perhaps they'd like to comment on the womanizing, out of proportion, pointed polygon titties they put on Lara? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Last edited:

YCoCg

why do you keep defending it. obviously people dont like this disclaimer.
Because the alternative is what they used to do, cut, edit and censor the game, as I've said multiple times over, I'll happily take any virtue signalling disclaimer if it means we get stuff uncensored and uncut. Plus as already pointed out, you can disable it on pc/steam deck with just one simple command line.

captainpat

This is a disclaimer you'd see for a rerelease of a cartoon that came out in 1930s. Not some game in the 90s that can at worst be considered problematic.

I really want to know what type of content is in those games that does not align with the values of Crystal Dynamic.

And while I am glad that they're still releasing the game untouched, messages like this are kind of a sign of what's to come in future tomb raider games.

YCoCg

Fuck it. I will just replay the originals and go for the hardcore retro achievements. Not going to bother with virtue signaling devs.
The Devs aren't even the ones who did this, Crystal Dynamics have, the game itself is a brilliant version of the trilogy.

YCoCg

To put this into perspective as to why this is frustrating for me, the GTA Trilogy was a fucking dogshit port that censored and cut stuff from the game, that sold millions. These ports are brilliant and are a great love letter to fans and Aesyr have knocked it out of the park on all platforms and have kept the game uncut and uncensored. But because Crystal Dynamics have added this disclaimer most of you are throwing a fit about not buying it and how it should be boycotted.

Krathoon

I totally added the -nolegal flag to my executable. I am not going to look at that crap everytime I start that game.

nkarafo

-nolegal

omg

Imagine programing and write -nolegal.

The more i see, the more obvious it looks that the actual devs didn't want this and it's just the publisher forcing them to shove that message in their game.

There's no other reason for them to code a way to remove the disclaimer message. I bet they knew a lot of people would (justifyingly) find this insulting and seek for mods to remove it so they made it easier for them.

YCoCg

At this point Crystal Dynamics win, the disclaimer they put on a version of Tomb Raider they didn't work on causing you lot to not buy the game makes it easy for them to say "see, nobody wants Classic Lara, now we can go all in on our Rise follow up".

To put this into perspective as to why this is frustrating for me, the GTA Trilogy was a fucking dogshit port that censored and cut stuff from the game, that sold millions. These ports are brilliant and are a great love letter to fans and Aesyr have knocked it out of the park on all platforms and have kept the game uncut and uncensored. But because Crystal Dynamics have added this disclaimer most of you are throwing a fit about not buying it and how it should be boycotted.
dude we are on the same page. but what ive learned in life is that people will take advantage of you if you dont stand your ground. it might seem like a petty or unrelated scenario but there exists those types of people. quit letting them blame others for their own guilt while we are over here trying to enjoy ourselves.

MiguelItUp

"Not a big deal" that they literaly just called the original Core team a bunch of offensive and hatefull bigots whose actions where "inexcusable"? The same team whos shoulders they are currently standing on and prospering from?

You really see no issue with that?
I see no big deal in them potentially covering their asses from crazies. I don't see it as them labeling original developers as bigots. Just times have changed and they're being safe as a just in case. I don't think it's that deep. But to each their own.

Fake

The more i see, the more obvious it looks that the actual devs didn't want this and it's just the publisher forcing them to shove that message in their game.

There's no other reason for them to code a way to remove the disclaimer message. I bet they knew a lot of people would (justifyingly) find this insulting and seek for mods to remove it so they made it easier for them.

I mean, the way I see they really want us to IDK, feel guilty? I mean, why show every moment you open the game? Or just maybe display in the third one?

Maybe the key issue is they feel uncomfortable seeing this game, so they want us, at least some of us, with don't care about that stuff to feel uncomfortable as well. I mean, I wouldn't even notice all this stuff if wasn't this disclaimer. I only know because someone here posted a video from youtube pointing out.

Krathoon

The remaster is very much like the Zelda 64 remasters on the 3DS.

They upgraded it just enough that it makes you think this was how the game always was.

nkarafo

Isn't this just another cookie cutter message though? They've used harsher words yes but these disclaimers are all the same "it was a product of its time, it doesn't represent our views now, it was bad then too, but here it is for preservation"

Nowhere in that disclaimer it says "it was a product of it's time". They could write that justification to keep themselves from disrespecting the original devs, like but they didn't.

Instead they wrote how the content here is "inexcusable" and "deeply harmful" and "doesn't align with their values". That's it, plain and simple.

Now i will ask you this. Nevermind this is insulting for fans as well but read the disclaimer again and imagine you were one of the developers of the original games. How would that make you feel?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

I didn’t purchase the GTA collection as it was low effort, censored, and overall crap. I would hazard a guess that most folks on GAF did similar.

I will not buy this, regardless of quality, as I have no interest in being insulted or being heavily insinuated that I am a racist for not thinking the original games are “problematic”.

You want my money as a consumer? Don’t insult me. It isn’t a complex or difficult thing to do. I have no tolerance for this low effort virtue signaling slacktkvism.

nkarafo

I mean, the way I see they really want us to IDK, feel guilty? I mean, why show every moment you open the game? Or just maybe display in the third one?

Maybe the key issue is they feel uncomfortable seeing this game, so they want us, at least some of us, with don't care about that stuff to feel uncomfortable as well. I mean, I wouldn't even notice all this stuff if wasn't this disclaimer. I only know because someone here posted a video from youtube pointing out.

They still slander the original devs this way.

And the wording doesn't make it look like they are simply "uncomfortable". If they did, they would be less harsh and adamant. Their tone is them being angry activists who hate the fact they can't sensor the game because that way nobody is going to buy it. Or they just want to virtue signal hard so they get their likes in twitter and Era.

Kadve

Game sure is getting a lot of free marketing from this.

Honestly though its just a screen. WB puts similar ones when they rerelease their old cartoons.

Krathoon

The game does have stereotypical characters, but it is not really racist. There are actually people like those characters.

It is like they are being paranoid.

YCoCg

I would hazard a guess that most folks on GAF did similar
10 million+ people did though, and I feel like it sends the wrong message when censored slop like that does that well and something that remains true to the original is getting blasted by the people that should be supporting it but won't because they fell into Crystal Dynamics trap.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
10 million+ people did though, and I feel like it sends the wrong message when censored slop like that does that well and something that remains true to the original is getting blasted by the people that should be supporting it but won't because they fell into Crystal Dynamics trap.
Then you should complain to those people. Not on a site where the vast majority did not purchase it and actively criticized those aspects.

Top Bottom