• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Includes Racial and Ethnic Stereotypes Warning From Crystal Dynamics

Ailike

If they really cared about these "struggles" and wanted to fight for a "better future" and all that fake horseshit, they would not accept remastering these games. Or at least some of the devs would protest or quit the project.

But they don't because they want the profits. That iP is too lucrative to pass on remastering it. So if they are really honest about what they say in that message, it means they are willing to sell out their values for money. That makes them hypocrites. Being a hypocrite is one thing... It's ok, maybe some won't notice or care. But by putting out this message for all to see it makes them stupid hypocrites because now they made sure everybody knows how big hypocrites they are.

Or maybe they don't really care about stereotypes, minorities, etc. They just want to please both the gamers who just want the original content uncut and the crazy activists. That's the only reason the message is there, they are simply lying. Which is just as bad, there is no scenario where these devs can come out on top.

But they are also implying the content is problematic and they presenting it as a fact. Not an opinion or something to argue about. They don't say "We think the content is blah, blah" Or "We believe", etc. Which would be much more acceptable for me.

So if i don't have an issue with the game's content then what does that message imply for myself, as a person?

Nah, fuck them, i'll pass on these remasters and support other devs who don't imply i'm a menace for the society. It's not like we don't have OpenLara or anything.

Yes. Both the original devs and you, if you liked those games and don't have an issue with them.

So i take you don't care if those devs are insulting you?
Honestly, you sound triggered, bro. Maybe you could use a black screen on this thread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Years ago a local mom and pop game store had a commercial for Tomb Raider with the song Brick House playing in the background.

Some of my very first memories of Babbages was seeing a 3D VR headset with Tomb Raider. I even had a Tomb Raider III t-shirt back in the day.

YCoCg

This isn't a good sign. For those say it's just a short message, It always starts with a warning and then it moves onto censorship.
I'm sorry but are you new to gaming? We've already had censorship, that's why this is hilarious, these disclaimers might be too in your face for some people but I'd happily take them any day over content being censored or edited like it used to be. Remember how the GTA games removed any confederacy flags, and removed any mentions of biker gangs being racist, and removed any trans people from the game? There's a lot more examples of subtle censorship done to games being rereleased Vs a rerelease having a disclaimer and leaving all content intact.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

It's a terribly worded disclaimer, and unnecessary, but I can appreciate they did not remove or changed content from the original to virtual signal to the insane mob.

Shouldn't be that hard to mod out too. Even on a local level, without waiting for a nexus or whatever mod.

If it's just some text resource hiding somewhere you could have it write "Woohoo look at those polygonal tities! We wish they were bouncing too!" instead.

200.gif

Kokoloko85

I will find a way to mod this shit out on the PC release. Those revisionist crybaby cucks ruin everything now.

Edit - Oh and fuck Crystal Dynamics and thank you Aspyr. Btw, if the next Tomb Raider is a fucking LGBTQIA+ POC/BIPOC/Latinx cluster fuck fest and betrays the Tomb Raider Legacy any further I won't be touching the garbage. Stick to your legacy you ass hats.

At least They didnt remove it from the game

John Bilbo

Today we should be thankful for a rerelease of a product with its original content intact.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Crystal Dynamics just want to remind you they hate Lara Croft. All the more reason to buy the remaster to show the Clown Companies this is the Lara gamers want instead of InsecureDaddyIssuesImnotmentallyderangedIpromise Croft they want to shove down your throat.

Reaseru

Nothing says better "buy this game simply by pure nostalgia" than insulting the people who originally created the games.

Well, dodged a bullet here. Thanks.

(Trying to make money aka cash grab using the original work of a bunch of " racists and misogynists". What gives?)

Last edited:

StueyDuck

i'd love to see someone make a "mod" to delete the splashscreen (yes i know you just delete the file, but there's more to it) and then upload it to nexus mods and just watch their little baby bitch meltdowns :messenger_tears_of_joy:

YCoCg

Nothing says better "buy this game simply by pure nostalgia" than insulting the people who originally created the games.

Well, dodged a bullet here. Thanks.

(Trying to make money aka cash grab using the original work of a bunch of " racists and misogynists". What gives?)
The actual Devs didn't even put this message there, Crystal Dynamics did, Aesyr Digital are the ones who worked on this and they've done a brilliant job.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I am also of the opinion that this is a reasonable outcome and there's very little to complain about here. Without going into the full details of the games (which I haven't played in decades) I can't say for sure if the language used in the warning is too harsh or not. But it's ultimately no more than a "Rated R" screen.

Last edited:

Erebus

Is this why Lara in the most recent Crystal Dynamics games was a wimpy little brat with daddy issues?

Seriously though, what was so racial in the original games? I can't recall.

Dazraell

Welp, considering Crystal Dynamics felt compelled to put this on the remaster, I'm worried about stuff they will pull on the next mainline Tomb Raider game. There were some rumors in the past and honestly everything about them felt like a huge red flag

I am also of the opinion that this is a reasonable outcome and there's very little to complain about here. Without going into the full details of the games (which I haven't played in decades) I can't say for sure if the language used in the warning is too harsh or not. But it's ultimately no more than a "Rated R" screen.

Crystal Dynamics is insulting developers AND players. Insulting the ones who pay your bills is god-level stupidity.

Yes, it's harsh when they say YOU have to "learn" some moral lesson from playing a videogame. It suggests you are tarnished and need to change.

I can't wait for their next game to bomb.

Welp, considering Crystal Dynamics felt compelled to put this on the remaster, I'm worried about stuff they will pull on the next mainline Tomb Raider game. There were some rumors in the past and honestly everything about them felt like a huge red flag

It will just be like any other modern game? Don't worry your favourite tomb raider isn't going to be trans or whatever else you are cooking up in your head to pre-emptively be offended by.

Camreezie

Id rather have the content warning and them not take out the content than no warning and have it altered however wanky their warning may be

samoilaaa

I was embarassed when I saw that message.
Modern gaming sucks
no , modern gamers suck
just look at spider man 2 one of the wokest games out there , it sold over 10 million copies , what kind of message does that send to Insomniac ? that woke propaganda doesnt bother people and its well recieved so next game will be just as woke or even more

Dazraell

It will just be like any other modern game? Don't worry your favourite tomb raider isn't going to be trans or whatever else you are cooking up in your head to pre-emptively be offended by.
Well, rumors said that game is called "Tomb Raiders", that Lara will be accompaying a cast of diverse characters and she will romance a girl

Also, don't put words in my mouth. The only one who is cooking up something here is you.

no , modern gamers suck
just look at spider man 2 one of the wokest games out there , it sold over 10 million copies , what kind of message does that send to Insomniac ? that woke propaganda doesnt bother people and its well recieved so next game will be just as woke or even more
That game sold well because of the first game, but reception turned lukewarm pretty fast. Sony needs to be careful - it wasn't that long ago that Disney Marvel could do no wrong in the eyes of fans. Now look at them. You can only live on borrowed interest for so long.

As for Crystal Dynamics, I wish I could say I was surprised. This is a studio that was asked to make an Avengers game and made it all about an annoying diversity lead, while turning the actual Avengers into bit players. Hell that game didn't even seem to like the Avengers. They probably think they're problematic, just like the old Tomb Raider games. All western game devs now bend the knee to woke insanity.

Reaseru

Stupid disclaimer for stupid people

That's the whole point in why this is stupid. We didn't needed any disclaimer in any media before to have a clear perspective of how things were.

For example, even as a kid, I never had the need for a disclaimer to understand the segregation and humiliation that black people were subject in America until the Civil rights movement every time when I watched a movie with that issue present....and I'm talking movies from the 90s.

The same way you don't need a disclaimer in the front of your face to feel sick when you see a bunch of bullies beating up a defenseless kid.

People need to make their own judgment of what is right or wrong, without being told to...

Last edited:

Arun1910

Doesn't affect me in the slightest to have racial stereotypes in the game, but I don't see the issue with a warning. Rather them not change the games and keep the original vision than remove content.

Lesser of 2 evils.

Always crybabies on both ends of this situation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not buying it now, fuck that woke bullshit! / Half of GAF

I don't really care, but I don't really think it's necessary either. Those are just the times we live in.

CGNoire

I don't see an issue with this. It's a few second long screen that was placed to basically cover their ass in every shape and form. That's really it. Did they NEED to do it? No. But they probably did it just to be safe because crazy people exist everywhere. I don't blame them. Really not a big deal IMO.
"Not a big deal" that they literaly just called the original Core team a bunch of offensive and hatefull bigots whose actions where "inexcusable"? The same team whos shoulders they are currently standing on and prospering from?

You really see no issue with that?

Last edited:

John Bilbo

XHmjA4h.png

For some reason when changing the trigger warning text it stopped showing entirely. But changing the photosensitivity text worked.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I don't give a shit about these woke pussy holes virtue signalling some bullshit, but to say these things were "inexcusable" is a gross statement towards the original developers.

No, oeople weren't woke pussy holes back then, at best we could argue about weather or not it was insensitive even for its time, which it wasn't.

This is how a remaster/remake should happen keep the story, cinematic and gameplay of the original and just put a warning at during the boot up.
Instead of altering and changing fucking gameplay elements to fit a “modern audience” (I still don’t believe that’s a thing)….

John Bilbo

I find it absolutely insane how many here are OK with them calling the Original Dev Team Racists and there actions "Inexcusable" as long as the message is "Only on screen for a couple seconds"?

Yeah I think your lot are the morally bankrupt ones.
It could be that many people have waited a while to play these games and get defensive while agreeing with you that the text fucked up.

Top Bottom