• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

RagnarokX

But obviously looks can be deceiving. This may be the best game in the franchise since Tomb Raider 2.

Well, so far I've only watched a few hours of footage and the IGN and GT reviews and saw much less "Tomb Raider" than Crystal's previous games, so what do I know.

Conor 419

Banned
The GT review was fantastic, it's a massive disappointment to hear that another solid game has been undermined by shitty character design and a shitty plot, I am interested though.

CTLance

Finally could shoe in Tara Long's Rev3 review. Ouch. Slice me, dice me, whatever - all of the reviews I have seen so far sound or read like I would not enjoy the game at all.

Emwitus

After watching the GT review, why weren't all these issues mentioned in uncharted? Although tomb raider does look much more violent? And the comment "angry black woman" kinda threw me off.

Whenever I have this feeling that Kuchera describes when I'm walking out of a movie theatre, the feeling of satisfaction might be good, but it is fleeting. The experience might be adequately entertaining, but it is simply empty calories, to use the same analogy.

The good and masterful experiences are not the ones that make me feel satisfied, but the ones that stay with me, make me think and reflect on its themes, and emotionally impacts me to such a degree that my world-view is influenced by it.

Thus, I don't see how Kuchera's assessment is a good thing. It's the difference between mindless throw-away media consumption and intellectually/emotionally stimulating "art".

and both are valid. to infer that one should always score higher than the other, is to concede that scores are completely futile in the first place.

which they are. different people look to reviews for different things. this notion some of you have that reviews should all try to do the same exact 'objective' thing... kind of makes the whole point of multiple reviews existing pointless.

sleepykyo

it already is true. Everything leading up to this was constant bickering over the reboot trend or what SE or Crystal Dynamics said about the game.

The initial response (the leaked concept art) when everyone thought the reboot was going to be survival horror was fairly positive.

Oh shit it turned out fine... note to self, continue not listening to the hivemind.
I think hat depsnds on what you choose to read.
Just WATCH the reviews and make up your own mind. Nobody is forcing you to blindly follow another person (not even the reviewers).

Personally i wasn't hyped for the game. Then i saw the scores and though that there MUST be something great that i missed.
So i watched some reviews, wanting to get hyped aout the game again, but from what i could see in the bideo rebiews, the game just doesn't look that great to me.

So be sure not to go from one hyvemind to another hyvemind is all i'm saying. Just judge for yourself.

Finally could shoe in Tara Long's Rev3 review. Ouch. Slice me, dice me, whatever - all of the reviews I have seen so far sound or read like I would not enjoy the game at all.

Unfortunately, and i mean that, i was the same for me. And that was a good review.

sublimit

Banned
IGN - "This traditional Tomb Raider exploration takes a back seat to the storyline in the main campaign, so it's great to see it shine in the secret tombs."

Sounds great!

eqbw1r.jpg

The GT review was fantastic, it's a massive disappointment to hear that another solid game has been undermined by shitty character design and a shitty plot, I am interested though.

The story was pretty lackluster in FC3, admittedly (except for naked tribal chick), but the game was so awesome it made (to me at least) it wholly unimportant.

How is it his personal take on the reviews when flat out the comments in the reviews use negative words to describe the puzzles, platforming, or tombs?

Because he offers nothing to prove anyone's been bribed?

That people offered negative sentiments about certain portions of the game tells us nothing about their overall opinion. That's what the entire review is for.

After reading the reviews seems like he's not wrong....

Wrong/right its all subjective. I'm playing the game now... but what do I know? :p

*edit*

People hate change. Just like when RE4 first came out, people were like "WTf...this isn't RE"? So why other series can't do this, and get away with it I don't understand.

MjFrancis

It's been said a few times already, but the sheer amount of fluff in these reviews is pitiful. I'm interested in how the third-person shooting and platforming handles. I'm much less interested in the story and how it affects Lara Croft's character development, but here were are with the vast majority of criticism zeroing in on this tripe.

It's fine to discuss that stuff since it adds (or detracts) from the whole package, but I'm only finding a handful of succinct points on the game mechanics in each review.

I'm saying that's not only a good thing, but a GREAT thing.

Why is that a good, or even GREAT, thing? There are already several franchises that are already doing what the newest Tomb Raider seems to be trying to do. There were not many doing what the prior Tomb Raiders tried (and often succeeded) to do. Are there any?

My excitement level is so damn high right now! I haven’t been this hyped for a game since Resident Evil 4 - this has a really big shot at being my game of the generation. It looks like everything I could have wanted.

Welp, I’m off to bed now considering its 4:05am. I’ve updated the OP with all the English written reviews posted so far in this thread...I’ll keep updating when more eventually come in, but for now I need some sleep.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
No, I've literally seen like the entire first 2 hours of the game. Plus the reviews even say that the classic Tomb Raider exploration and puzzle solving is lacking in favor of telling a story.
At this point if you disapprove of that, then it should be the sign to tell you not to get it.

It's been said a few times already, but the sheer amount of fluff in these reviews is pitiful. I'm interested in how the third-person shooting and platforming handles. I'm much less interested in the story and how it affects Lara Croft's character development, but here were are with the vast majority of criticism zeroing in on this tripe.

It's fine to discuss that stuff since it adds (or detracts) from the whole package, but I'm only finding a handful of succinct points on the game mechanics in each review.

I feel just the opposite, but maybe that's because I've already played it and am familiar with the mechanics.

antitrop

Why is that a good, or even GREAT, thing? There are already several franchises that are already doing what the newest Tomb Raider seems to be trying to do. There were not many doing what the prior Tomb Raiders tried (and often succeeded) to do. Are there any?
Because Tomb Raider as a franchise has been an embarrassment to games since the early 2000's.

Glad they finally did something interesting with it, even if Uncharted got there first. This is the most exciting thing about the Tomb Raider brand since the first film.

Sephzilla

That people offered negative sentiments about certain portions of the game tells us nothing about their overall opinion. That's what the entire review is for.

I think he's trying to just point out that there seems to be a disconnect between the 'score' and the actual text in the review. Whether or not you interpret that as something suspicious is up to you.

RoKKeR

Absolutely not surprised about the positive media response. It's a new Uncharted, so they are just eating it up.

I'll rent it. These types of games simply don't do much for me.

Because Tomb Raider as a franchise has been an embarrassment to games since the early 2000's.

Glad they finally did something interesting with it, even if Uncharted got there first.

Nice edit there. You said 1998 originally. Chronicles was shit because Eidos wanted to fill the gap until AoD and that was shit because Eidos wanted stealth shit thrown in, among other things.

I think he's trying to just point out that there seems to be a disconnect between the 'score' and the actual text in the review. Whether or not you interpret that as something suspicious is up to you.

Again, any legitimate critiques of the content of the review (not that I'm saying any have been offered here) are undermined by tinfoil-hat snark.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From everything I'm seeing, the game looks like a lot of fun and seems to play well...but it feels as if the story telling is at odds with the game. Furthermore, I'm disappointed by the heavy reliance on modern tropes such as XP, loot, and filling status bars.

There are already several franchises that are already doing what the newest Tomb Raider seems to be trying to do.
There's really not, though.

Wrong/right its all subjective. I'm playing the game now... but what do I know? :p

*edit*

People hate change. Just like when RE4 first came out, people were like "WTf...this isn't RE"? So why other series can't do this, and get away with it I don't understand.

"Crystal Dynamics, I knew Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 was a friend of mine. Tomb Raider, you're no Resident Evil 4."

Malvingt2

Absolutely not surprised about the positive media response. It's a new Uncharted, so they are just eating it up.

I'll rent it.
that is not correct and Uncharted didn't define a genre or something.. Why do people keep bringing that series on this thread?

what's your brief take on it? you and Jim Sterling are my go to barometers right now.

I'm early in... but I'm highly enjoying it and not just because "OMFG SET PIECES!" Yes those are in and damn cool too. What's really, really pulling me in, is the sense of dread and hostility. The game atmosphere so far feels grim, the nightlight sky piercing through the trees . The sound design is great as well. Rushing water, croaking frogs, explosions, rubble. . The game is just (so far) doing a game good job of pulling me into the world. I'm digging the slightly open world feeling to the hub areas as well. They're not HUGE (so far as I know) But give me that itch to explore and have fun doing it. One note I found already was from a character talkin about the
curse of the island
. Good stuff. I need to play this more but there is more to it then just being a bang bang, shoot, shoot action setpiece game imo, though all that is in there as well.

Those of us who want challenging puzzles and tombs with more focus on problem solving in a Tomb Raider game and not much combat or humans are in the minority.

Well, at least adventure game are thriving while action-adventure with memorable puzzles are dying.

antitrop

Nice edit there. You said 1998 originally. Chronicles was shit because Eidos wanted to fill the gap until AoD and that was shit because Eidos wanted stealth shit thrown in, among other things.
I said 1998 originally because Tomb Raider 3 is where the series started to go downhill, but that game wasn't awful.

The series didn't really become awful until a few years after that, so I edited appropriately.

Andrew.

Banned

Agreed. The series released when I was 14 or 15 and even back then I found it to be boring as fuck. I mean, I totally understand the butthurt coming from the kids that used to yank their cranks to Lara spreads in old EGMs and GamePros, but that polygonal ass and tits just didn't do anything for me or my 120mhz Packard Bell.

Sephzilla

Again, any legitimate critiques of the content of the review (not that I'm saying any have been offered here) are undermined by tinfoil-hat snark.

I think suggesting that everyone is paid off is ludicrous. But honestly game reviewers tend to have an awful lot of power when it comes to the success of a game, assuming everyone is clean as a whistle is equally ludicrous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's with that attitude? The Uncharted series has been excellent and, perhaps, better than anything with the name Tomb Raider on it.

Why drag Uncharted into this anyways?

Glad they finally did something interesting with it, even if Uncharted got there first. This is the most exciting thing about the Tomb Raider brand since the first film.

Why is it an embarrassment to games? The style of play is woefully underrepresented in modern gaming. Who will take up the mantle and give us compelling environments filled with deadly traps and puzzles? As mentioned up-thread perhaps From, but still they will keep an emphasis on combat that is beyond what traditional Tomb Raiders have been about.

Skilletor

Agreed. The series released when I was 14 or 15 and even back then I found it to be boring as fuck. I mean, I totally understand the butthurt coming from the kids that used to yank their crank to Lara spreads in old EGMs and GamePros, but that polygonal ass and tits just didn't do anything for me or my 120mhz Packard Bell.

Wow.

I'm done with these threads.

I wish there were some PC vs. 360/PS3 comparisons.

Can't decide whether or not to use the CAGROCKS coupon on Amazon for Sim City & then the GMG coupon on this or the opposite. Sim City also has a $20 credit if you get the box version. Decisions, decisions.

I said 1998 originally because Tomb Raider 3 is where the series started to go downhill, but that game wasn't awful.

The series didn't really become awful until a few years after that, so I edited appropriately.

I actually stopped playing the whole series I think after 4. I watched a friend play 5 and thought it looked poor. AoD I've never touched, watched videos, looked pretty poor to me, and Lara seemed like a psychopath.

Until I bought the PS3 CD Trilogy a couple months ago, I had only played about an hour of Underworld on a rental and sorta gave up on it. Really enjoyed Anniversary like I said.

1 and 2 are the most memorable to me.

Agreed. The series released when I was 14 or 15 and even back then I found it to be boring as fuck. I mean, I totally understand the butthurt coming from the kids that used to yank their cranks to Lara spreads in old EGMs and GamePros, but that polygonal ass and tits just didn't do anything for me or my 120mhz Packard Bell.

Or, you know, the butthurt coming from mature adults that welcomed as close to Indiana Jones in a computer game that we've ever gotten...

Top Bottom