• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomorrow, the biggest game of the generation hits its first anniversary

Banned
There's no rule that you can only have one console per generation. Switch released during the 8th gen, before the Xbox One X, and has the power of a 7th generation console (which handheld typically have last gen console performance).

However, generations mean nothing anymore. Nintendo is doing their own thing, and Xbox/PS get a spec and hardware boost but are ultimately the same thing.

the release window of the Switch is not too far off from how other handheld systems released. the 3DS released in 2011 and is seen as a gen 8 system. the Handheld cycle was slightly ahead of the home console cycle for a long time. the Switch being a hybrid that works on a TV doesn't change the fact that it is indeed a handheld system.

if the Switch is gen 8 then it would be in the same generation as the Vita, and that makes no sense

carlosrox

Banned
That game really grabbed me good for a while there. I was always interested in trying AC but was waiting for the right one. Super enjoyed the time I put into it.

I'll be ready to play the sequel! They turned me into an AC fan very quickly!

The game is so cute, funny, and charming. Looks gorgeous too, such a great art style. The customization was fun as hell too.

Look forward to the next jump in tech for this series. It's gonna be fire. And considering what a monster success NH was, I can't even imagine the budget/care they put into what comes next. Switch Pro or Switch 2 will be great for AC.

Dream-Knife

Banned
That game really grabbed me good for a while there. I was always interested in trying AC but was waiting for the right one. Super enjoyed the time I put into it.

I'll be ready to play the sequel! They turned me into an AC fan very quickly!

The game is so cute, funny, and charming. Looks gorgeous too, such a great art style. The customization was fun as hell too.

Look forward to the next jump in tech for this series. It's gonna be fire. And considering what a monster success NH was, I can't even imagine the budget/care they put into what comes next. Switch Pro or Switch 2 will be great for AC.
I thought you were supposed to just keep playing the same game?

jaysius

Banned
The biggest pile of shit about this game is that only ONE account can actually play the game PER MACHINE other accounts on the same machine are just gimped users living on that one user’s island and they can’t even obtain tools to advance correctly.

Only Nintendo can get away with this pure bullshit.

Also the online aspects are pure shit... although it’s only 2020(when this came out) so I guess I should go easy on poor old Nintendo.

The biggest pile of shit about this game is that only ONE account can actually play the game PER MACHINE other accounts on the same machine are just gimped users living on that one user’s island and they can’t even obtain tools to advance correctly.

Only Nintendo can get away with this pure bullshit.

Also the online aspects are pure shit... although it’s only 2020(when this came out) so I guess I should go easy on poor old Nintendo.

I can see people still crying about this aspect in New Horizons since there isn't a playable "Mayor" character like New Leaf. But let's be real, the early game until K.K. Slider's concert is braindead easy and I don't know who would want to go through it again every time you want to have another character on your island.

You've gotta be fucking trash at Animal Crossing if you living in your mum's basement and need her help to get K.K. to even visit your garbage island. "Can't even obtain tools to advance correctly" lmao the only advancing is once you get the concert. Nobody's missing out on anything. Every other user has pretty much the same exact features as the "main" character. The differences are so fucking small and non-important it's actually triggering me seeing people still bitching about it after all these years.

Get off your ass and make some money and buy your own Switch. Acting like a fucking beta peasant bitch. Imagine actually getting cucked out of your Animal Crossing island and then putting this crappy critique on Neogaf. You disgust me.

tenor.gif

But you right about Nintendo Online, it's pretty cheeks.

cormack12

Gold Member
How this didn't storm industry GOTY lists is a mystery to me. For me personally, I had a different GOTY but the indutsry GOTY isn't meant to be a favourite game of the year. It's meant to be an objective list of the top games. If you make two lists of your game of the year compare to what actually should be goty then animal crossing should be top of that second list every time for 2020. I guess I expect more from the professional side of these videogame awards, it's only one rung below having CoD, FIFA or Fortnite leading the charge in its current state. The lists reflect popuarity on the internet as far as I can see.

Edge has an interesting way of giving games different types of awards with Animal Crossing picking up the 'zeitgeist' award (which is probably very fitting for the year we've had) but then you have to split up other categories across the board.

how much HAS ACNH sold this generation anyway?

31.8 million copies as of Feb 1st (https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/animal-crossing-new-horizons-30-million-nintendo-switch/)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Insane sales on this game but I can’t justify it. I’ve got New Leaf on my 3DS and New Horizons just looks like an upscaled version with stripped back content. Good for those enjoying it though, nice to see games like this smashing 30m sold through compared to the typical games.

The Animal Crossing franchise is stale. It hasn't evolved beyond the DS. Like, you can't even fucking swim and you live on an island...

I was really disappointed with the last game, it felt like work.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How this didn't storm industry GOTY lists is a mystery to me.
Most GOTY outlets consist of people like those here who act like Nintendo forced them out of their childhood through some unspeakable act of depravity, and their audience is the same. Even entertaining the idea of having AC as GOTY would make them lose 70% of their subscribers in the space of a single tweet.

bitbydeath

I’ve been tempted to get this game for my Switch but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I did play it’s spiritual successor Bugsnax though, wasn’t too bad.

Hugare

Game was cool for the first hours

Blows my mind how anyone can find this game "comfortable" when its lacking so many QoL features

* The tools degradation started getting on my nerves (Nintendo and their fucking degradation systems, I swear to God)
* Loading for every goddamn door
* "Wanna see new stuff? Wait for a day, nerd, you already played too much"
* "Want to craft lots of itens at the same time? Fuck you. Only one item every time"

It's so much fun when you just want to break some rocks / cut down some trees but then your tools break.

Relaxing game its not imo, not even close

* The tools degradation started getting on my nerves (Nintendo and their fucking degradation systems, I swear to God)
* Loading for every goddamn door
* "Wanna see new stuff? Wait for a day, nerd, you already played too much"
* "Want to craft lots of itens at the same time? Fuck you. Only one item every time"

It's so much fun when you just want to break some rocks / cut down some trees but then your tools break.

Relaxing game its not imo, not even close

Yeah imagine having to wait till a different time/day to do a different activity or get different items. lmao have ya'll ever even played an Animal Crossing game?

Unlike Sony games that are glorified walking simulators, stepdaddy complex manifestos, communist indoctrination instruments made for the absolutely lowest common denominator. Now THOSE are games!

Don't flatter yourself son, you don't have much more than two.

WlwpuVI.gif

Immediately thought of this when I saw your reply...

Last edited:

Hugare

Yeah imagine having to wait till a different time/day to do a different activity or get different items. lmao have ya'll ever even played an Animal Crossing game?
I have

And yeah, having to wait for a different time/day to do a different activity is as much fun and relaxing as it sounds

But there's no point in arguing, 'cause there are people that are entertained by doing nothing, I guess

Hugare

Thank god we have gamers with SUPERIOR TASTE like you to guide the rest of us.
Like I said, I enjoyed the game for a few hours

But there are some unthinkable design choices, imo.

The game would be appreciated by even more people if they have solved those "problems", imo.

I have the same opinion about BoTW weapon degradation. Some people love it? Yes. But I think that many more would have enjoyed the game without it.

Didnt want to sound aggressive

Last edited:
Didnt want to sound aggressive

You didn't sound aggressive friend, but you did sound condescending. I understand some of your frustrations, but the game is designed around those quirks. It's meant to be enjoyed in short bursts and routine playing. Let's use the BOTW weapon degradation mechanic. The game is built around experimentation, everything is designed in a way to force you to constantly think of different ways to approach every problem. If weapons didn't break, you could find one that you really like and play like that for the rest of the game. That would be boring.

Point is, those aren't PROBLEMS, those are part of the design. Which you may not like and that's perfectly fine and understandable, however, removing those quirks would result in a lesser experience overall because it would go against the core ideas in those games.

Let me give you a different example. God of War 2018 has a shit camera. It's so bad they put arrows around your character and you get 2 dodge buttons. BUT the idea of the game is the single cut thing. You could design a camera that's more suitable to an action experience, but then you'd have to give up the single cut approach. Eventually you have to commit to a central design philosophy even if it doesn't result in an universally appealing experience. It's better to have wonky mechanics that fit your idea than to design everything by committee and end up with some diluted tasteless experience.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The game looks interesting, but what exactly do you do in it? Is it kind of like a farming and building simulator or something?
I’ve only played the very first, but Animal Crossing is like the ultimate game of charm. It’s like the sims, but with animals and a more pleasing art direction and world. Talking to townsfolk and your neighbors and such, is simply a joy. You easily become invested in the game and the charm is so great that you will always crave more. It’s one of those games that will easily claim a few hundred hours of your free time. Practically was impossible not to become immersed. I had seven people playing the game on my Gamecube back in the day. Shared files lol. Someone I know bought a friend a Switch w/ Animal Crossing: New Horizons to cheer her up while in the thick of the pandemic. It’s probably a near perfect recipe by this time I can imagine. It was damn good back then, and AC: NH is enjoying what I can only guess is 100% earned success. I am not totally surprised it has sold past 31 million copies. That number is insane, but with Animal Crossing, the success it is enjoying definitely makes complete sense, to me at least it does

Top Bottom