• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 4 to star Jodie Foster

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I thought it was pretty good.

Has a The Thing x 30 Days of Night x Insomnia vibe.

Will watch this season.
Like literally my ideal film, I got that vibe from the trailer and was hoping going by the critics wanking themselves silly over this it might just be great... But all you lot seem to think otherwise which doesn't bode well

Sonik

It's OK I guess, the next couple of episodes will reveal if it's any good. The X-Files style native American spiritual bullshit was, is, and will always be cringe btw

Lol can you imagine the headlines if the genders were swapped in that sex scene?

Feminists are such enormous hypocrites, they did it on purpose to show what a strong and independent woman she is but if the roles were reversed they'd definitely accuse the show of glorifying rape, I'm 100% certain about it. Which btw exposes their bigotry of low expectations, they always treat women with kid gloves as if they're nothing more than children.

JBat

Just watched the first episode.
+Really liked the setting
+Intriguing enough for me to watch the next episode at
-CGI animals were pretty bad...
-Writers trying too hard to check the diversity boxes. Got racism and sexism going on at the same time. Feels forced.
-going to predict things now
scientists pulled some crazy bacteria from the ice cores that made them go crazy last of us style and walk out into the tundra

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
One thing's for sure is that True Detective did tap into the supernatural with Season 3. Future Hays influenced the past, which past Hays saw. So nothing is off the table here. The Yellow King symbolism is sure heavy here. My theory? The company is a Tuttle branch, and the murders are a form of revenge against abuse.

Reading through this thread, I’m disappointed with a lot of you.

True Detective Season 2 is the best season. You should rewatch it.

Season 3 was boring despite having great actors because the backlash of season 2, they tried to retread 1.

I enjoyed the first episode of Season 4 but they might as well have just called it Night Country without the True Detective moniker but Season 2 should have been called something else too.

It’s assholes like you who got Deadwood canceled.

giphy.gif

GeekyDad

Season 3 was boring despite having great actors because the backlash of season 2, they tried to retread 1.

I enjoyed the first episode of Season 4 but they might as well have just called it Night Country without the True Detective moniker but Season 2 should have been called something else too.

giphy.gif
Normally, I read a message like this, and click ignore on the member. But...you promise to be more entertaining than this show. So, I'll keep watching. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Hugare

Lol can you imagine the headlines if the genders were swapped in that sex scene?
I thought the same immediately. And I'm not even sensitive to noticing "woke stuff" or whatever

Hopefuly they will show that she sometimes is a bitch, but nah ... they won't go there

What bothers me is that every man so far is weak or a jerk. Every single one of them.

The guy who punched that woman (who gets owned by the protagonist), the police officer working for Foster is a terrible father and is cheating on his gf, his son acts (and looks) like a teenager despite having a son and wife (watch him cheat his wife with Foster's "daughter"), that dude who was abused while having sex with the protagonist ...

Is it so hard to make powerful women characters while also having some good male characters? It just feels so forced ...

By far what I enjoyed the most was the setting. It's really different from every other tv show and a great setting for investigation. Very moody.

Just watched the first episode.
+Really liked the setting
+Intriguing enough for me to watch the next episode at
-CGI animals were pretty bad...
-Writers trying too hard to check the diversity boxes. Got racism and sexism going on at the same time. Feels forced.
-going to predict things now
scientists pulled some crazy bacteria from the ice cores that made them go crazy last of us style and walk out into the tundra

I think you hit the nail on the head

I doubt that this will be supernatural.

Now that you mentioned it, it became pretty obvious, actually

Last edited:

John Bilbo

There was a brief moment of a trauma being shown for the Foster character. Her daughter mentioned it also briefly. I hope the story and storytelling regarding that trauma will be handled well as it could end up being a powerful character defining moment.

clarky

Gold Member

giphy.gif

How can someone be so right yet so so wrong at the same time. Amazing work.

Sonik

giphy.gif

Season 2 was definitely not the best season, it was good though, I guess people expected it to be as good s the first one that's why they were so disappointed. I agree on season 3 though, it was like someone gave an AI the script from season 1 and asked it to write a new one, it was so fucking generic even though it did everything right, I struggle to remember one thing from that season.

Apparently there is a massive market for Youtube channels where people spend untold hours watching shows they hate, then record hours of rants on how much they hate the shows and then people spend hours watching it. As the average rant is longer then the episodes more time is spent on the show than watching it.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Have execs not yet realized "outrage" marketing gimmicks don't work...

Like I'm fairly certain most people either watched the show ... or didn't... and moved on with their lives
It's just utterly comical at this point!

Oh look, a new showrunner. Oh look, women taking lead roles and men are shit. Oh look, there's racial shit in the show. Oh look.. Oh look, ooooh look..

Typical 2023/2024 Bullshit drama.

Women. Drama. Bullshit.

Same old SHIT. I'm starting to realise why we had men only clubs in the old days. 'You can't have those, it's sexist'. Okay woman, you can join our club.. BANG, DRAMA! YOU HORRIBLE MAN, NOW LISTEN TO MEEE!!!!

I have a weird feeling we'll be seeing those men clubs returning soon, these female folk are too much :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's funny she moans about the fans of season one 'dunking' on her season too. Well if that's true why is she surprised? So what if men liked season one? Guess what? It was an established show with proper MEN in it?

Don't like it, make a NEW show that didn't have MEN leading the roles to start with. Don't take an established show then go TA DA! It's ALL female now, so fuck you!

What even is that?

It's all so, so boring.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone who gives my show 5 stars is naturally right, and anyone who doesn't give my show five stars is a fratboy/homophobe/anti-feminist/dudebro.

Look at all those fanboys just out there to ruin my show by review bombing it. There is literally no other explanation for those scores.

Sonik

Have execs not yet realized "outrage" marketing gimmicks don't work...

Like I'm fairly certain most people either watched the show ... or didn't... and moved on with their lives

You're underestimating how delusional and out of touch with reality Hollywood really is, many of them aren't doing it for the marketing anymore.

Damn, wasn't expecting so many to be so negative on the first episode. Spotty CG and questionable choice of music aside, I thought it was a great start.

DKehoe

Damn, wasn't expecting so many to be so negative on the first episode. Spotty CG and questionable choice of music aside, I thought it was a great start.
Like you say the CGI wasn't great but it's a decent set up so far. We aren't far in enough yet that I feel like I can make a judgement one way or the other but I'll be watching next week's episode for sure. I'm in the middle of a Deadwood rewatch and so it was nice to see John Hawkes pop up in this too.

Hydroxy

What a boring ass episode. Any scene that didn't have Jodie Foster in it was a pain to watch. I don't think I will be watching further.

GeekyDad

What a boring ass episode. Any scene that didn't have Jodie Foster in it was a pain to watch. I don't think I will be watching further.
I felt kinda the opposite. But after giving it more thought, I don't necessarily think Foster has regressed as an actress. I think perhaps this was just not a role that plays to her wheelhouse. Although the scene where
she pulls the drunk fat chick out of vehicle
felt pretty natural.

Jooxed

Gold Member
What made season 2 so bad? I loved the first season and I really like Vince Vaughn so I was excited to see it come back but never got around to it after my friend telling me how terrible it was. Then I meant to get back into it for 3. Maybe nows the time and just jump into the new season.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Thought the first ep was alright. CGI is a joke for sure. Started watching S2 and three eps in Im digging it. It's just a lot more grounded. Acting is great. Forgot they had different directors for each episode. The first season is just too damn good tho.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'm enjoying it so far but not really fan of
them making some direct connections to season 1.

Last edited:
Another solid episode. Only thing I hate so far is the 'wife tired of police officer husband doing his job' trope. I'll probably just fast forward every time she shows up from now on.

While we were rightfully giving shit to the CG, the practical effects team on the other hand is doing a hell of a job on this show so far. The corpsecicle is an impressive prop to behold lol

JBat

"Wilson... What the fuck!" Had me rolling lol.
damn that sex scene was awkward. But that was the point. So good job?

Edit: Post has turned into kind of a live commentary. Episode 2 was actually really good. Excited for episode 3. Also makes me want to rewatch the whole series so might do that between episodes

Last edited:
Episode 2 was solid. The sex scene was unnecessary but whatever. I also don't get the music. Most of the time if feels completely out of touch. Still, it seems to be getting better, let's see.

Hydroxy

Definitely a big improvement over the first episode. If they keep the focus on the central mystery and not on other bullshit, that would be great.

I’m going to sound like an old prude again, but why was that sex scene necessary? They could have cut to them lying in bed with the same story outcome but instead have some awkward as fuck scene instead. What does it achieve? 😂

Overall I did enjoy ep 2 better than the 1st though.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Enjoying it. I get the feeling it’s not actually going to be supernatural shit though.

I mean they have a science research center researching crazy shit at the center of the story. That plus the mine polluting the water might account for the crazy shit going on.

They’ll probably have those more concrete if not a bit sci-fi explanations at the end while leaving a small amount of room for supernatural / spiritual explanations.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Loved S01, Hated S02, Really Liked S03; Mahershala Ali in particular is one of the best actor's around right now (alongside Tom Pelphrey) and the subtleties in his mannerisms across the three different time periods were so on point. Even when he's in mediocre stuff with little to work with he's one of the few actors who completely embodies every portrayal, allowing me to forget I'm watching the actor; and simply accept him as his character.

Had high hopes for S04 with Jodie Foster being in a lead role, but doesn't sound like it's really blowing anyone away. With only 6 episodes though, I'll probs give it shot at some point when I've gotten through my backlog of other stuff.

The director talking it up [before any of the criticism] as being some kind of big deal for having a female-led cast never inspires confidence though (they seem to conveniently ignore the history film and tv; pretending complex, interesting and strong female characters never existed before now). I just know when they're like this that I might be watching the show, enjoying it for the most part and then you'll hear a line or exchange that feels completely out of place; and you can sense the writer/director/cast members who want their say effectively just popping their head up and going "Hi, here's what I believe!". Really sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the flipside, there are times where those drawing a spotlight to the woke are way too eager to jump on the bandwagon and brand something as such; which in my opinion only serves to undermine plenty of other legit grievances. So in the end I find it's often best to decide for myself.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Been spoiling myself on this and jeeeeesus christ the shoehorning and lack of subtleties with making this basically a "sequel" to S1. Go screw.

LO fucking L at
The Tuttle Corp. What the fuck. We Resident Evil now? Is Tuttle the new Umbrella? Fuck off with this terrible, corny fucking shit :messenger_tears_of_joy: And Rusts ghost father dancing around? Who fucking wrote this tripe?

Like they knew this season was an overall awful idea and that the only way to suck in suckers would be to connect it to The Adventures of Rust & Marty.

Reading the synopsis for Ep 2 was enough for me. Im done lol. I feel like knowing more that happens will do the inevitable tainting to what I consider the best piece of entertainment media Ive ever ingested. I was able to avoid any Matrix sequels and the new Star Wars trilogy. Im doing the same here.

Fuck this whole show.

Top Bottom