• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Legit laughed out loud.

heh yep what Frog-fu posted. There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about TV criticism--that far too many reviews are still mostly recapping, that they focus only on theme and character and not form/style--but that he thinks TV reviewers only review the pilot only shows he has no idea what he's talking about. the entire conundrum right now is based around the fact that critics are tackling every episode and have to find things to say about each one individually and as part of a whole.

I see. That is a really out of touch comment...

karasu

I just finished it and I feel like I've been slapped in the face with a soggy dick. Pizzolatto clearly hates his fans.

Chris R

Just finished S2.

S1 is so much better, only thing S2 has going for it is I'll probably buy a bottle of JWBlue here in a month or two.

It's really fun, and the dialogue is playfully awesome. You need to give it a chance beyond the first few episodes though which fall into the standard procedural TV trap.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because the last time I tried watching it, I only got through two episodes and wasn't blown away. I'll give it a few more episodes this time around.

Squalor

Beasts of No Nation is receiving early rave reviews.

Pizzolatto right now:
KfQYC1L.gif

While Beasts of No Name looks great and is worthy of discussion, let's not derail the TD discussion in this thread. Thanks.

Regarding Fukunaga and TD, he did have a few comments on the show in a recent Variety interview:
The director said it always part of the plan for him to leave after his episodes starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson wrapped in 2014. “The whole pitch was that in a true anthology, we want to sit it on a shelf, and every season we have a new feature director and make this wonderful miniseries,” Fukunaga said, explaining that they shopped the conceit to Showtime and Netflix along with HBO. “I was going to be the first one. And I’d be there to shepherd as much as I could the following seasons. My departure was always planned.”

The series’ second season, which was widely panned by critics, used a rotating panel of directors under the watch of the show’s executive producer and creator Nic Pizzolatto. Fukunaga is listed as an executive producer too, but he explained that he didn’t have much involvement in the season.

“I really wasn’t involved,” he said. “My involvement in the second season was as much or as little as they needed me. It turns out they didn’t need me.”

Fukunaga says he hasn’t spoken to Pizzolatto since they saw each other at the Golden Globes in January, but he’s aware of the demanding director character who seems to be caricaturing him in season two. “I have friends on the crew who told me about it. What’s there to make of it?” Fukunaga says with a laugh, declining to elaborate further.

Blader

McConaughey and Woody got paid for S2 too; they were listed as EPs in the credits, which always made me laugh for some reason.

Completed S2 the other night and I thought it was good but not great.

Like a solid 8/10 though obviously nowhere near as fantastic as S1. I loved Harrelson and McConaughey, never expecting their characters to be topped off in this season.

A particular highlight was the shootout at the end of ep4, holy crap was that shit intense.

Also special shout out to Vince Vaughn who seemed to grow into his role as time went on, and had the best character arc of the season.

Squalor

Completed S2 the other night and I thought it was good but not great.

Like a solid 8/10 though obviously nowhere near as fantastic as S1. I loved Harrelson and McConaughey, never expecting their characters to be topped off in this season.

A particular highlight was the shootout at the end of ep4, holy crap was that shit intense.

Also special shout out to Vince Vaughn who seemed to grow into his role as time went on, and had the best character arc of the season.
ZktOKVJ.gif

Grinchy

Banned
You don't truly realize how differently other minds work until you come across someone who thinks S2 of True Detective was genuinely good.

Foggy

You don't truly realize how differently other minds work until you come across someone who thinks S2 of True Detective was genuinely good.

Most of my friends who watched it out of the week to week bubble, ended up really enjoying it. Maybe it works better on a bingen maybe it's because they were outside the bubble? Not sure.

Oscar

Rewatched S2 with my gf.

Still enjoyed it, but obviously S1 is the better season by a long shot.

My problem with S2 is the lack of any kind of Lovecraftian horror element. It had many opportunities to fill that, but every one of those arcs was a total bust in the end (the bird man, the "cult").

I'm still in for a Season 3 as long as Pizzolatto is at the helm, but hopefully he goes back to what made S1 so great.

S1 would have been great even if it didn't have allusions to cosmic horror, though, because the creators knew how to do character and tell a story.

S2 didn't.

Squalor

The lack of "horror" wasn't a problem with season two. In season one, it wound up amounting to nothing, anyway. It was just a yellow red herring. It was an interesting detail to add to the series.

Any kind of "horror" or mythology in season two would have made it worse because it was already a jumbled mess with nary an intelligent or insightful thing to say.

Fjordson

After sort of defending S2 early on, I still haven't watched the last 3 episodes lol. Just got so bored with it.

It's a bummer because S1 is one of the best things I've seen on TV in years. Hope Pizzaman can rebound somehow for next season.

Squalor

After sort of defending S2 early on, I still haven't watched the last 3 episodes lol. Just got so bored with it.

It's a bummer because S1 is one of the best things I've seen on TV in years. Hope Pizzaman can rebound somehow for next season.
It gets better.

Partition

Banned
The problem with Season 2 just boils down to the story and how inefficiently they told it. The ending was good enough but not so much the journey there.

Squalor

The problem with Season 2 just boils down to the story and how inefficiently they told it. The ending was good enough but not so much the journey there.
Actually, the awful characterization and character development were the biggest issues.

Speaking generally, though, the overall writing was at fault.

As always , I think early reviews consensus generates such a strange hive-mind phenomenon on the web. Right now we have these new insult type of opinion that is falsely advertised as reviewing.TD S2 is not a great season , it’s very much below the standard for this kind of police procedural mini series of recent years (being Top of the Lake and TD S1 the landmarks) but its still an enjoyable piece , especially in a medium that produces so much shit.

The problem with TD S2 is how much it derives from television rules. The rushed pre-production , the rushed post-production (some ugly ass visual editing , visual cues , no flair whatsoever) and a quota of episodes that needs to be fulfilled. And TD S1 in that aspect is a total oasis. Arkapaw/ Fukunaga duo are the main stars of season 1 , as well as Matthew’s Rust (written by Pizzolatto). That’s what differentiated it from the rest. It wasn’t the plotting. Nor the writing , much less its subtlety (today completely obliterated by some people , but hidden behind the talent of great polishers in S1) . It was the visual identity. The constant motifs. The buildups. The virtuosity of the camera. The great editing. The integration of music. It’s was a type of show tv rarely produces. It doesn’t seem like tv , while S2 never makes us forget that this is just television.

Contrary to many people I actually think the first episode is one of the best of the season (even technically albeit it has some odd stylistic choices), and strangely enough it is so informative about everything that makes quite a bit of the show completely redundant (the episode quota thing). We are introduced the 4 characters and we get to know basically everything. Who is Velcoro, what motivates him , what destroyed him , his relationship with his son and wife. We know Frank, what he sought , what happened with Casper , the suspicions that the Russian and possible Blake immediately generate , his relationship with his wife (I don’t remember if the kids situation are revealed nor his past as an infant). Bezzerides troubled past , her stoic behavior on the field contrasting with sexual desires and Paul’s repressed feelings and inability to cope with them (either his sexuality and the black mountain stuff) that lead him to a tragic destiny. And through the show none of them really leave this state until the final 2. You could say , well that’s because the plotting takes the foreground…but that’s not the case . At all. As it goes along , the season feels redundant , characterizing repeatedly the same characters over and over. The events that occur should be represented in a much brisker pace. Nobody would be surprised if this was a 4 episode show.

Even plot-wise we know basically how rotten and corrupt the city is , and that’s actually the main point of it. The whole brothers/police robbery is just a small tangent. The article presented in the first episode , is not very different from the one that is going to be written in the last.

The initial point is interesting, all the 4 characters are interesting, the main case plotting is also interesting , yet the development is fragile and stretched beyond imagination. These characters don’t even interact at all until the final episodes (culminating in a forced romance) or the Frank-Ray plot connections which go nowhere thematically. They don’t influence one another’s. And Pizzolatto is not Milch , that can fill hours with characters verbalizing intentions , environments and emotions. Which seems to be the main thing going on in TD S2

In terms of talent , its way below the first season (especially the director/dp combo) and in the acting department Kitsch is cringe-worthy. His work on the series is kinda unbelievable. Farrell shines in the first half and Vaughn in the second, after he’s grown out of the monologues. His desert scene is the best thing in the entire show. Dude is tall , but only seems to get intimidating after quite a while.

If TD S3 wants to be as relevant as the S1 it needs to do the same thing. Hire talent. A good director. And a good dp. With that alone it’s already above 90% of television. And TD S2 sadly doesn’t sniff that 10%. But it also doesn’t deserve the vitriol it gathered online.

Sanjay

Just finished watching season two, and oh my god, I heard it was going to be disappointing but what I got was something else.

Everyone fucking dies and the bad guys win due to contrived shit.

TheOddOne

- Indiewire: David Cronenberg Says He Turned Down 'True Detective' Season 2 Because "The Script Was Bad".
"The heat is in TV," David Cronenberg said at the Reykjavik International Film Festival where he received a Lifetime Achievement Award (via Indiewire). "Last year I was approached to direct the first episode of the second season of 'True Detective,' I considered it but I thought that the script was bad, so I didn’t do it. In TV, the director is just a traffic cop, but on the other hand it is work and there’s a lot of it.”

Grinchy

Banned
It's just a shame that McAdams and Farrell did such a great job on such a terrible show. They can't wipe that shitstain off their resumes.

The Beard

Most of my friends who watched it out of the week to week bubble, ended up really enjoying it. Maybe it works better on a bingen maybe it's because they were outside the bubble? Not sure.

I just watched all of season 2 over the last 2 days. I managed to avoid any reviews, or spoilers (as if there could be a spoiler for this turd). I liked season 1, I didn't think it was great but it was really solid. S2 was a massive drop off. Casting was so ridiculously bad I couldn't believe it.

First of all, everyone in the movie talks like they just woke up. Everyone talks in this sleepy monotone voice, it's fucking awful. Colin's accent kept going in and out. It'd go southern, to sort of Californian, to a hint of Irish. I don't understand why he couldn't just use his natural speaking voice? As if no American has an Irish accent? If the character absolutely had to have an American accent, maybe don't cast a guy that speaks with a heavy Irish accent?

Rachel Mcadams was not believable to me. She's a pretty good actor, but something was off. Maybe it's because she's 5'4 105lbs trying to act like an angry badass?

Vince Vaughn was cast solely because he's a big name. He was decent at best in this role. No real emotion, and his delivery was flat.

Overall I thought it was terrible, I barely made it to the end. I didn't care about any of the characters, or what was happening to them. The dialogue was pure ass, the performances were ass, and the story was ass. Next season they should focus on getting the right actors, not just big names. Also, inject some life into it. Make the characters believable with real personalities, everyone acted and talked the same in S2. Don't make every character depressed, suicidal, and on elephant tranquilizers.

Sorry for the bump. Finally got HBO back, and had to talk about this garbage.

- Deadline: ‘True Detective’ Creator Nic Pizzolatto Re-Ups HBO Overall Deal, Still No Decision On Season 3
HBO is keeping Nic Pizzolatto in the fold with a third consecutive overall deal that would keep the True Detective creator at the pay cable network through 2018. The pact would cover possible new installments of the thriller drama franchise as well as new projects.

More than three months after the second season of True Detective ended its run to mixed reaction, there had been chatter about HBO looking to do a third cycle of the show but there has been no formal decision one way or another. Back in July, HBO Programming president Michael Lombardo made it lear that the call whether to go on or not would be Pizzolatto’s. “If he wants to do another season, I said the door is open, we’d like to do another season of it,” he said. At that time, Lombardo spoke very highly of Pizzolatto, something he also echoed today in his comments on the writer’s new HBO deal.

“I am thrilled to continue our relationship with Nic, as he is one of the most exceptionally talented writers and producers working today,” Lombardo said. “I look forward to seeing where his unique creative vision will take us next.”

While critics’ reaction has been all over the map, in viewership, Season 2 of True Detective, which starred Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch, was in line with the breakout first season toplined by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. True Detective remains HBO’s second most watched show behind blockbuster Game of Thrones, with cumulative viewers averaging 11 million across Season 2, on par with season one’s 12 million.
I'm surprised they still haven't made a decision about this.

EDIT:

More from EW:
“A number of new projects are being considered, as well as future incarnations of the drama series True Detective,” HBO said in a release.

This does not mean a renewal of the anthology drama. We’re told there is no season 3 concept being discussed at this time. Given the currently date and the production’s length of time spent casting marquee names to headline season 2, it’s seeming increasingly unlikely another edition will premiere in 2016. But it hints the network is interested in continuing the series in some form, however.

I'm glad to hear it.

With strong creative voices like Pizzolatto HBO will remain unstoppable in the drama space. Television doesn't get much better than season 2 of True Detective.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Give him the majority of 2016 to write and a writer's room and Season 3 will be just fine.

I'm surprised HBO isn't trying to put a fire under some asses for Season 3. Maybe they're being cautious since a repeat of this season would probably make the brand worthless

I'm glad to hear it.

With strong creative voices like Pizzolatto HBO will remain unstoppable in the drama space. Television doesn't get much better than season 2 of True Detective.

I like s2 more than a lot of other people here. That said, that post is some funny material. You write a great joke.

Give him the majority of 2016 to write and a writer's room and Season 3 will be just fine.

I'm surprised HBO isn't trying to put a fire under some asses for Season 3. Maybe they're being cautious since a repeat of this season would probably make the brand worthless

Not rushing is the right tact to take. He likes involved, intricate, stylized stuff, so let him take his time. Find a director available for an entire run and work from there.

Top Bottom