• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective Season 4 to star Jodie Foster

I was letting this play out and based on comments maybe blast through the episodes

Now I’m thinking, ‘I’m glad I watched season 1 instead’

Still epic (for ref, I didn’t hate 2. It was disappointing overall though. 3 I gave up during the second episode).

I had heard it was deliberately ambiguous in places. I’m all for mysteries and threads left unsolved. But this sounding like they just didn’t bother wrapping up all the story for the sake of ‘reasons’ or writes themselves off the map and couldn’t get back (lost like)

Might go watch Ted instead

Hugare

They didnt go with the bacteria/virus angle that would explain why people were seeing supernatural shit? It would have been the best option

So all the supernatural shit had no explanation? Jesus ...

John Bilbo

We didn't kill them. Honey they did it to themselves

Laughter Troll GIF by Tondrakht

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I feel like the writing team really thought they had something special with the
badass posse of vigilante female janitors were behind the murders all along
twist

lmaooooo

Last edited:

Billbofet

I hate that it hints and dips in to supernatural shit just enough to give them clues to continue, as they are terrible detectives! Then never explains or reconciles any of it, just magic I guess..... Ooof

TheMan

Wasn’t able to watch last night but like many of you I’m not really feeling this season. I’ll probably finish because I’ve already gotten this far but yeah, this is it the grand return I anticipated for the series.

On the other hand I binge rewatched season 4 of succession over the weekend and that is still holding up reaaaally well

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s terrible.

The supernatural stuff is lightly explained though; pretty straightforward “the dead are still around and can contact you” shit. Hence ghost Navarro at the end who probably went off and died in the water / ice since she never stopped being “called to it” (we can assume by her mother I’d think just like her sister was.)

The j-horror hallucinations not really explained though.

So much dumb shit in this show though. Just stuff thrown in to make things seem connected that aren’t (like Annie folding her clothes.)

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I basically "watched" this season by lurking this thread.

Bummed that it doesn't seem worth watching, but I salute the service of you fine people who let me know.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yep, complete waste of 6 hours.

Watch Fargo season 5 instead.
If I may get your opinion? I watched Fargo Season 1 recently, and was wondering which season to watch next, since I likely won't watch them all. Which season 2-5 would you recommend? Or do I have to watch them in order to get the most out of it?

Sonik

That final reveal scene, holy shit I was fucking dying of cringe, it seemed so dumb and unnatural and made no fucking sense. I care so little about this trash I won't even bother to properly shit on it, thankfully I'll have forgotten it in a month.

Remember though folks, trust the critics, they definitely didn't review the show this way because of the female leads and the female brainlet that wrote this trash

zIHEtEA.png

Sonik

There was a bit much emo woo-woo for my taste but overall I liked this season. Still better than S2, not as good as 1 or 3.

Season 2 was a goddamn masterpiece compared to this, you can't be fucking serious. Not only the characters were vastly deeper and more interesting but the plot cannot even be compared with this absolute nonsense. WTF, you need to watch season 2 again

Billbofet

That final reveal scene, holy shit I was fucking dying of cringe, it seemed so dumb and unnatural and made no fucking sense. I care so little about this trash I won't even bother to properly shit on it, thankfully I'll have forgotten it in a month.

Remember though folks, trust the critics, they definitely didn't review the show this way because of the female leads and the female brainlet that wrote this trash

zIHEtEA.png
I never put much stock in critics, but this one has to be either a payoff or critics are so invested in pushing an agenda, that they'll let anything slide.
I'll give it props for the setting and cinematography in parts, and as much as her character sucked, Jodie Foster nailed the piece of shit material she had to work with.
The rest is just nonsense. It's such a poser version of the seasons - especially 1 - that came before it. Even season 2 looks like Bergman in comparison.

JBat

After thinking about it more, this season is basically the episode of Bob's burgers where Linda puts on a dinner theater show. Linda is a butler or something and as the narrator of the show, tells the audience that the murderer is definitely not her only to find out that it totally was her at the last second with no foreshadowing. The twist on this season just feels cheap. The super natural stuff is just a deus ex machina to move things along. What makes it worse is the acting was actually good. There was a good story there but the writing was just lazy. The "professional" critics giving this high praise are just sniffing their own farts.

Last edited:

pachura

Didn't the vet say it was physically impossible to freeze while screaming and fighting?

What did "She's awake" mean?

Huh? Were those frozen bones/fossils discovered in the pattern of a spiral? How does that make any sense? Were the dinosaurs on their way to Carcosa? Wtf?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Social media brainlets angry at Nic Pizzolatto for telling the truth about this fucking monstrosity and how that diversity hire completely ruined his show

So I tried watching the newest Transformers as background noise for an action popcorn flick, and FFS I could NOT make it more than 1/3rd of the way through, even as background noise. Those actors were atrocious, worse than WB level shit and some of a worst I've seen yet. Felt like a phoned in AI version of in a bad timeline.

Last edited:

thefool

Social media brainlets angry at Nic Pizzolatto for telling the truth about this fucking monstrosity and how that diversity hire completely ruined his show

Good on Pizzaman for trashing this piece of shit.

the matrix GIF

Hopefully we get a proper 8-episode season 5 one day.

It would be a horrid death rattle if this is the last of True Detective to ever be produced.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Damn I was sticking up for this show in the beginning but that finale sucked ass. What a let down.

That "reveal" scene at the research station... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Fucking eyeroll to infinity.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I lasted less than half-way through the first episode, before I noped out.

Seems I chose wisely.

Top Bottom