• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump accuses Amazon of hurting 'tax paying retailers'

Zolo

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/16/trump-tweet-amazon-hurts-retailers-241685

President Donald Trump lashed out again Wednesday morning at the online retailer Amazon, accusing it of harming “tax paying retailers” and stripping jobs away from towns and cities across the country.

“Amazon is doing great damage to tax paying retailers. Towns, cities and states throughout the U.S. are being hurt - many jobs being lost!” the president wrote online just after 6 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Trump did not specifically accuse Amazon of any particular crime or tactic in his Wednesday morning post to Twitter, but he has in the past accused the retailer of reaping a competitive edge by not paying enough in taxes.

Trump has also made a regular habit of attacking Amazon over its connection to The Washington Post, a newspaper that the president feels covers him unfairly. Both Amazon and the Post are owned by Jeff Bezos, and Trump has accused the newspaper of protecting the retail giant from an increased tax liability with its coverage.

Business man hates business doing well. Says we should care for the less successful business.

Good business man, right?

Fox318

Does he realize Amazon is taxed?

Hell if anything taxing them probably hurt retail more as it prompted them to expand.

The man is just bitter about the Post. Fuck him.

WedgeX

Banned
tumblr_oe55b5gba21qa4wjsb9.gif

elfinke

Fancy having the time to moan about something trivial like this after a week like this?

Surprised he didn't ask to see Amazon's permits to be honest.

BradleyUK

Amazon only paid £11.9m of tax out of a profit of £5.3bn in the last tax year here in the UK. I would love there tax code right now.

Apt101

On one hand, this was bound to happen with the invention of the Internet. Consumer purchasing was bound to shift to the path of least resistance.

But if he wants Amazon, Apple, et al, to pay their fair share, fix the loopholes and reduce the corporate tax. The US has a very high corporate tax, forcing corps to seek loopholes, of which there are many. This is a problem economists have been pointing at for a decade.

He ain't wrong but Amazon is a product of the times as retailers are just becoming more and more outdated.
They might as well officially change to exhibitions to check out products before ordering them online.

gamz

This is about Bezos owning Washington Post and being successful. He's jealous. Nothing more or less.

Maybe in the past this was true in the past, but I know now Amazon is paying tax in more states than they used to from what I understand. I know last year in my state of Ohio they started paying taxes and thus customers as well.

He ain't wrong but Amazon is a product of the times and retailers are just becoming outdated.
They might as well become exhibitions to check out products before ordering them online.

Yeah, back when I still bought console games I remember browsing at the store until I found something nice.. Then I went home and ordered on Amazon.

And d'you know what; this could've been a very easy pitch if it weren't about attacking one business simply for doing well, but trying to galvanise a steadily dying brick and mortar side of retail. But that second quote in the OP is the answer here, he hates Amazon's connections, he cares nothing for any other business than his own.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder what Amazon did in the past hours that motivated his statement.

Did Amazon refused to sell some of Ivanka's shit? Or did their CEO condemn racism?

Patryn

Maybe in the past this was true in the past, but I know now Amazon is paying tax in more states than they used to from what I understand. I know last year in my state of Ohio they started paying taxes and thus customers as well.

As of this year, Amazon is collecting sales tax in every single state that has one.

I wonder what Amazon did in the past hours that motivated his statement.

Did Amazon refused to sell some of Ivanka's shit? Or did their CEO condemn racism?

As has already been said, Jeff Bezos, their CEO and founder, also owns the Washington Post, which is extremely critical of him and is on the leading edge of revelations about his connections to Russia.

He's right, in that all these tech giants pay criminally low tax rates compared with the businesses they've eliminated along the way.

However, I'm sure he doesn't care about oil companies, etc. getting subsidies and sometime paying negative taxes. He's obviously going after Bezos here.

faisal233

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/29/technology/amazon-sales-tax/index.html

Amazon to start collecting state sales taxes everywhere

By Chris Isidore March 29, 2017: 2:59 PM ET

The days shopping tax-free with Amazon are coming to an end.

On Saturday Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) will start collecting sales taxes on purchases in the last four states where it wasn't doing so: Hawaii, Idaho, Maine and New Mexico. Four other states -- Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon -- have no sales tax, while a fifth, Alaska, doesn't have a statewide tax, but it does have municipal sales taxes.

Literally the first link when you Google it. Laziest president ever.

gamz

It's a world of difference then and explains that tax rate.

All of these major companies definitely game the system though.

1000%. But this isn't about that because he called out one company who happens to own Washington Post which happens to write negative articles about him. Do the math.

Why not call out Apple and MS for keeping 500B in cash overseas away from taxes.

It's amazing how obvious he is in his pettiness. Clearly projecting his hate of the Washington Post. It's insane how much his obsession of his media portrayal drives everything in his mind.

Top Bottom